No announcement yet.

The Jack O'Neill/Daniel Jackson slash and friendship thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Referring a little to the comment made about the lack of interaction/farewell in Lost City, I would have to say that we may not have seen much on screen but i think that there is an assumption that it would have been there somewhere. We all love the show for the Daniel/Jack relationship (among other things) and I think that their friendship is so strong that they don't always have to vocalise things to know how they feel and what the other is thinking. For example,we never saw anything between the two of them after Jack was shot in Heroes, but you would never consider that it wasn't there. I love the interaction between these two, its exactly like two little brothers who bicker just to try and get on each others nerves, but in the end you know they love each other.

I'm looking forward to more interaction between them as the season continues, and although the interaction has been hindered somewhat by Jack not being around as much, it will always be there.

A few episodes in particular to consider:

* Lifeboat
    * Enemy Mine
    * Window of Opportunity
    * Abyss
    * Fallen/Homecoming
    * The Light

Comment

For example,we never saw anything between the two of them after Jack was shot in Heroes, but you would never consider that it wasn't there.
      Oh, don't be so sure about that. Of course, we never saw anything between Daniel and anyone in Heroes.

And, since we didn't have to "assume" anything for Jack and Teal'c or Jack and Sam, I don't feel it was anything special (I'd use a totally different adjective) that we had to assume for Jack and Daniel. It doesn't say they're close, it doesn't say they're relationship is special, there's no way to spin that into something good. And, it had nothing to do with Jack not being around much. One of the best episodes that seasonto show some friendship between Jack and Daniel was Enemy Mine, and Jack disappeared from the episode in what? First 10 minutes? So, believe me, they can't fall back on RDA's time constraints. It was that when Jack was there Daniel might as well have been second place to lint. I didn't sign up to be psychic, to "assume" or to coast on earlier seasons to tell myself the friendship is there. To me, the "friendship" between Jack and Daniel in season 7 sucked like something I can't say on a PG forum.

Luckily, there's actual, visible, normal friendship in season 8. Season 8 (at least what we've seen so far) will be ranked higher than last season for just that reason. Oh, and, we don't have to assume it. We also don't have Jack falling all over Daniel, or hugging him every second (although, I'll never be opposed to a hug in an appropriate moment). We also don't have the on screen, where it belongs friendship taking anything away from the friendship between Jack and Teal'c or Jack and Sam. And, RDA's time is still limited. So, tptb have proven they can do it (and that the, ahem, quota of friendship scenes haven't run out) with all the restrictions and criticisms that have been given to justify the lack throughout last season, so I don't give them a pass for season 7. I'll credit them with season 8 (so far -season 7 started off moderately well, and went down the toilet towards the second half, so I'm wary) but I'll keep the blame on them for season 7.
      I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

The most important thing for me about Stargate is the team feeling but I´m a fan of buddie movies and shows, too and so I enjoy the friendship between Jack and Daniel very much, and as more I think about it, as more I beliefe, that with this friendship no longer existing, a important part of the team spirit would have been gone . You can´t IMO not have any real team spirit if two team-members almost never talk to each other (and if they do one of them is senseless hostile - like Jack was it in "Grace") .

I don´t need big emotional moments to see this friendship but I think that in season 7 (especially the second half) there were not enough of it. Even worser, I beliefe that season 7 should convince the viewers that Jack and Daniel are no longer friends. What I think is very sad.
        I liked Lost City so far (and I think that the scene as Jack stopped Daniel to use the ancient brain device was a nice friendship moment for them) but I still think there should have been a real goodbye scene between Jack Daniel too. Even if you don´t see them as best friends, they are comrades in the same unit and know each other since many years. So the lack of a real goodbye scene feeled just wrong IMO. And I don´t ask here for something big: two or three seconds can sometimes make a difference.

I´m more happy with the relationship between them in season 8: Some of the old humorous bantering is back and Jack seems to care again if Daniel is alive or not (something I had big doubts about after watching some season 7 episodes).

Sadly I have the bad feeling that there is a kind of pattern and we will (as in season 5 and 7) see the friendship between Jack and Daniel in the second half of season 8 breaking again. If I beliefe the spoilers I have seen (and I have visited many different sites and boards - and it were always the same things I saw) than season 8 (part 2) will showcase only one relationship...I think everybody knows what I´m talking about.
        And that is really silly because I never thought that if someone is getting a girl he must end all his friendships to prove her his love...it´s foolish!
        And with all that things which will happen in "Moebius" I doubt that there will be enough time left to include even a mini-friendship-moment. And so (to speak figurative) the fans of this realationship will,again, not being invited to the party.
        I hope that I´m wrong and that the writers find a way to give ALL fans little moments they can enjoy but I´m no longer optimistic.
        Last edited by Hathor999; 20 November 2004, 12:26 AM.

Comment

and I think that the scene as Jack stopped Daniel to use the ancient brain device was a nice friendship moment for them
          I thought it was, too. And, I wouldn't have made quite the fuss about the lack of a real, feeling, goodbye scene if we hadn't had one for Teal'c and Sam. Making Daniel stand out like that was just wrong. And, no, having Jack leaning back with his eyes shut while Daniel is talking to him doesn't say to me "Ooh, they're so close they don't have to say anything." Might as well say, "Ooh, they're so close, they never have to look at each other. They never have to speak. If Jack invites Teal'c and Sam over to hang out and doesn't ask Daniel, that cinches that he cares more about Daniel." No.

But, like I said, we've had some lovely moments between Jack and Daniel so far this season. Some where Jack and Daniel weren't even in the same room, but you know that Jack cared. So, since they've proven that they can still do it, I'll be on those writers if they stop it when the season restarts.
          I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
            ... we've had some lovely moments between Jack and Daniel so far this season. Some where Jack and Daniel weren't even in the same room, but you know that Jack cared.
            Oh yes. The bit in Icon -
            Spoiler:
            "FIND HIM!"
            - was so good it made up completely for what was lacking Evolution, something I'd not thought would ever happen. And I loved their first scene together in New Order, which was classic Jack/Daniel: a dose of humour, a good amount of seriousness, and an acknowledgement that they each cared about the other.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
              Oh yes. The bit in Icon -
              Spoiler:
              "FIND HIM!"
              - was so good it made up completely for what was lacking Evolution, something I'd not thought would ever happen. And I loved their first scene together in New Order, which was classic Jack/Daniel: a dose of humour, a good amount of seriousness, and an acknowledgement that they each cared about the other.
              I'm much happier with S8 than I was with S7 regarding the friendship between the two men. Where I rarely re-watch many of the S7 episodes, I do re-watch what's been shown of S8 so far.

I love Icon the most for the Jack and Daniel bits, especially the one you mentioned above and also the
              Spoiler:
              "Daniel? Squirelly!"
              scene. I don't think I spelled that correctly, but then, I'm not sure it's a word either!

Dana Jeanne
              Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

It makes me feel better to know that the Jack/Daniel scene or lack of as most would say, was not intended to short change the friendship. The commentary said that the scene was originally larger and had much more dialogue but that the actors, I think it was MS actually, felt that they could convey the friendship without the dialogue. Apparently they were wrong as far as many people are concerned and they seem to have rectified it thus far this season.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

OK, first I'm going to admit that I haven't read this entire thread, so if I repeart something already said I'm sorry....
                  Now in response to what Dani said...
                  My biggest problem with the whole "they're such good friends excuse they never ever ever ever ever ever ever have to show it again" is that it gives everyone on the show an excuse to be lazy. Don't show them exchanging smiles (see, it's not all about touchy feely)? It's because they're so close they don't need to. When a situation warrants a hug, or a pat on the arm, and there isn't one? They don't need to. It lets tptb and the actors coast on the first three seasons. So, even if they never do anything, we're supposed to just assume based on what happened before, when they had absolutely no freaking problem showing it, and it wasn't because they weren't as close as they are now. (Sorry, the whole no affection because they're so close just makes no sense to me) It also doesn't wash because even though I never had any doubt that Jack cared for Sam as her CO and friend, they're still letting that show (well, they've subverted it to ship).

If someone had just started watching the show in season 7, without any prior knowledge of the characters, would they be able to tell that Jack and Daniel have this incredibly close friendship that apparently manifests itself through disinterest and boredom? If you saw a man hug one team mate, and then later touch him tenderly on the cheek, and call another one a national or universal treasure, and later have his eyes wide open, staring at her, and saying with a voice that is just spilling over with conviction that he trusts her (and than says I know, but he actually looks at her while he's doing it), and then you saw him tell the last teammate just "I know" leaning back, eyes shut, no look of trust or anything, you'd honestly think, "Wow, he really cares for that guy so much more than he cares for the others."?

At the very miniscule least, Jack should have been looking at Daniel. We should have seen the trust or faith in his eyes. Not because Daniel needed it (but, I'm not ashamed to say I needed it) but because as his friend, he shouldn't have been able to help it.
                  I guess I can see where some may think in this manner and that's fine and your right...but I myself don't agree...and here's why, yes the relationship has changed over the years, and we have to admit that at least one reason for the lack of J/D screen time is RDA's schedule but that aside I've never questioned the strengh and closeness and dedication of this relationship. For the sake of time I'll only address things from Merdian on....
                  -In Merdian when Daniel had to pull someone into his "vision" to talk to in order for the team to "let him go" it was Jack, no question the only one he could ask, that he could trust, and that he know would be strong enough was Jack. We saw on Jack how much it hurt him to tell Jacob to stop, but Jack did it because it was what Daniel wanted, what Daneil asked and he had to do it for Daniel.
                  -In Abyss, I don't think much has to be said here so I won't go into detail
                  -In Full Circle, the elevator sceen was classic, later in the show when Jack and Daniel are talking about what to do, Jack gave the eye to Anubis because Daniel asked him, the trust is there and it's unspoken, they don't always agree but both have an amount of trust in each other that doesn't compare to any other relationship on the team.
                  - On to season 7-
                  -Fallen/Homecoming - I think the fact that Jack was the one that lead Daniel around took him to Janet, back to his room shows how much he cared for Daniel, but your not going to see a bunch of touchy feely stuff there because Daniel was still a little standoffish...then later the sceen in the locker room with Daniel and Jack talking and Daniel telling that that he remember enough showed that Daniel was starting to reconnect with that bond...then at the end when Daniel was looking at the gate it was Jack that stopped and asked if he was OK.
                  - In Fragile Balance it seemed to me that Young Jack was happiest to see Daniel (the "now we're getting somewhere" comment)....
                  - In Lifeboat, Jack wouldn't go back to the planet because he didn't want to leave Daniel, regardless if he could go into the room or not, he was going to sit and make sure Daniel was OK.
                  - In Enemy Mine, "Daniel go to your happy place", and the unseen conversation with Rokers character that we here about latter, shows the respect he has for Daniel and Daniels converstation with Jack in the infirmary about not wanting to break in a new Col. showed Daniels feelings...
                  - In Evolution 1&2 - it was Jack that come hell or high water was going to find Daniel, even if he had to do it alone, I never had any doubt that regardless of what Gen. Hammond might have said Jack was going to find Daniel either way....I never even had a second thought about when Jack finially did find Daniel, there was the hand on the shoulder and the look, then he took care of Daniels wound...it wasn't really a place to have a heartfelt hug or anything.
                  - Lost City - I don't think Jack's comment about who would translate ancient to Daneil was the main reason he wouldn't let Daniel have the knowledge downloaded into his brain, (it's been inplied that others can read some ancient, but greated Daneil is the expert)..but rather that Jack couldn't handle it if something like that were to happen to Daniel, he just wouldn't be able to watch it. As for the "I Know" I see that so different from what alot of you have said...the way I took it is, because of Daniel and Jacks friendship it was hardest for him to say goodby to Daniel. He didn't want to loose it was my interpitation...I know speaking for myself, if I had to say what might be my finial goodby to the people I love, the hardest ones would be with the people I'm so connected to. And at that point a simple "I Know" would mean more to me than anything else. I know for a fact that if I had to say goodby to my best friend there are no words that would do no hugs nothing, a look would do more than anything because we can read every thought in each others head just with a look. As for Jack closing his eyes and looking resigned, I think that just showed how much it hurt him to say it. As for the goodbys to Teal'c and Sam they were appropriate for those relationships...I have other friends that while it would be hard the only way to express feelings would be to outwardly show more affection.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Jack and Daniel never have to show anything again, but there realtionship is on such a level that communication and feels can be convayed in a look sometimes stronger and my accuretly then any other way...JMHO.

Comment

Norrski, that was a good post. I see things pretty much as you do, but with one exception. I don't see Jack caring all that much whether he finds Daniel in Evolution. That's the only difference, but it leads me to a very different place than you. I really wish I saw that ep the way you did.

You've put in a lot of great examples from pre-s7 and early s7, but nothing between the mid-season two-parter and the final story. That great big hole probably wouldn't matter all that much to me if I'd seen friendship in Evolution, but actively seeing a lack of friendship in that ep made the next ten or so seem to perpetuate that lack. If Evolution had been what I wanted, then late s7 would (to me) simply be light on friendship, and not seem to actively downplay the friendship.

Although, you have made me feel a little different about Late s7. If I were to ignore Evolution I probably wouldn't have seen the stuff like Daniel and Jack never being in the same scene together as so significant. I'll just have to try and keep Icon, rather than Evolution, in mind next time I watch a late s7 ep .

Madeleine

Comment

Norrski, that was a good post. I see things pretty much as you do, but with one exception. I don't see Jack caring all that much whether he finds Daniel in Evolution. That's the only difference, but it leads me to a very different place than you. I really wish I saw that ep the way you did.
                      I'll say-- I agree with what Mrs. W said, Norrski.

I was so horribly disappointed in Evol 1&2 (I don't seperate two-parters); disappointed and angry.This would have been a perfect companion to Abyss. Evolution is only just now airing in sindi, so I'll put whatsits around everything.
                      Evolution 2 Spoilage

Spoiler:
                      When Jack told Daniel in Abyss that he'd basically move hell and high water to rescue Daniel if thier positions were reversed, I felt that Evolution was a perfect episode to show this. However, Jack (and I personally blame this on RDA's 'laziness') showed almost no concern, no worry, no nothing. He wasn't chomping at the bit to go find Daniel or anything. He was told he would be going with Berk (and this is bad writing; simply adding in a line where Jack demands to go would have saved it!) He strolled through the jungle with his old 'pal,' arguing with him. After Daniel's rescue (which was fine, Jack was totally in Special-ops mode--great!) instead of Jack and Burk having a little 'snogfest' we should have had a scene with Jack and Daniel; the comfort part of this Hurt/hurt episode. Jack saw the huts, he saw Daniel, he's a smart man and could put two and two together. Just a tiny little scene with Jack perhaps fixing Daniel's leg and showing some concern. I'll shut up on this now!!

As you can see, this is a hot button for me

Dana Jeanne
                      Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

OK, first thank you for the compliment (which after I reread my post I thought dang I really need to proof read stuff...sorry for all the mistakes)...but after reading your comments (below) I decided to rewatch Evolution with a little closer eye...(I'm actually watching it now and taking notes, yes I know my life is very, very sad)...anyways I'll say right now if you don't want to see spoilers for season 7's Evolution stop reading now, cause I'm going to go into detail on some things.....

You've put in a lot of great examples from pre-s7 and early s7, but nothing between the mid-season two-parter and the final story. That great big hole probably wouldn't matter all that much to me if I'd seen friendship in Evolution, but actively seeing a lack of friendship in that ep made the next ten or so seem to perpetuate that lack. If Evolution had been what I wanted, then late s7 would (to me) simply be light on friendship, and not seem to actively downplay the friendship.

Although, you have made me feel a little different about Late s7. If I were to ignore Evolution I probably wouldn't have seen the stuff like Daniel and Jack never being in the same scene together as so significant. I'll just have to try and keep Icon, rather than Evolution, in mind next time I watch a late s7 ep .
                        OK, like I said stop if you don't want Evolution spoilers...and I'll say sorry for the length now, cause this is going to be quite long.....

OK now in part 1 we don't see RDA until after Daniel has left for Honduras (sp?) - 1st time we see Jack's it's after Sams already came up with her dart plan...we are just left to think that Jack's been involved in stuff off camera (like I said this is do to RDA's scheudle)....Now later it's Jack that comes to Hammond and asks about Daniel because he's concerned for him, when Hammond says that he's 6 hours over due I think you see Jack's mind spinning, he knows that a couple of hours can be chalked up to Daniel just being Daniel but that 6 hours means somethings wrong. It's here that the way I see it Jack's already starting to think of ways he can help Daniel....Back to Daniel, he's comments about someone coming for them I think was really Daniels feelings that he trusted that no matter what Jack would come to rescue him....At the end of part 1 when Hammond comes into the briefing room and says he has bad news, if you look you'll see Jack purse (or tighten) his lips as Hammond is saying he had bad news, I think it's because Jack instinktively knows that it's about Daniel, then to me the look on his face is of someone who's just been punched in the emotional gut but is trying to hide it, as he's supposed to be the strong commander type guy...but the look in his eyes is one of I'll save my friend somewho some way at all costs....Now one to part 2....it starts with Jack in Hammonds office talking about what they know about Daniels situation, Jack's "unofficially" comment to Hammond was his way of letting the Gen. know that something was going to be done regardless of what the brass says, but he'll give them a little more time, and he suggest that they send a team in, again letting the Gen know that Jack's planning and going to be doing something, it shows how much Jacks been thinking about it, and that he'd rather have the Presidents blessing but he's going to do something with our without it, granted what I'm saying is just what I think was being implied in this sceen.....Again, next we see Jack he's with Hammond talking about Daniel (I think this shows that this was the major thing on Jacks mind at this point, even with all the other super soilder stuff going on)...now I know that in this sceen Hammond says that Burke requests Jack come down, but I never for one minute had a thought that Jack might not be going, I think it was set up that Jack was going down there to find Daniel come Hell or High Water....Now, the sceen in Carter's lab, can probably be seen in two ways, one way if your a shipper (which I admit that I'm not) or maybe the way I saw it, what I saw was someone that was concerned about his best friend going to another friend who is very close to both of them to let her know that he's going to go and get Daniel back. I think what I saw in his and Carter's face was concern for alot of things and one being that Jack was a little scared of what he might find, and that he trusted Carter to run the other mission, but that he was concerned for her too, but his concern for Daniel was to great and he had to do what was necessary to get him back (now if you listen to the commentary for this sceen you'll hear PD and AT talking about how so much of this sceen is played the the characters eyes showing the amount of concern they had for what was happening)....On to the Cantina, and Jacks look of distain for Burke to me really showed some emotion, probably on more than one level, but his comment to Burke after yanking his glasses off of "It's NOT OK, I have 48 hours to find my friend", now right there something is said, Jack doesn't say he has 48 hours to find his colleagues, or his friends, he said "HIS FRIEND", speaking of Daniel, now Jack knows that Dr. Lee's missing too, and I'm sure he wants to find him, but it's Daniel that Jack's worried about not Dr. Lee, and it's said in that one phrase....Now as for Jack and Burke traipsing around the jungle together, the way I saw that was the writers thought it would be a good way to get into some of Jacks background, rather than have him running around with some dweebing little guide that no one cared about, and could never have anything to potinitally add to the story now or in later ep's if wanted...also if a way if you think about it, the background we get here shows part of why it's so hard for Jack to trust people and have friends, and that when he does find that it must be something very special, because it doesn't come easy for him (thus strengthing the J/D friendship view...but that's all really just my psychological interpitation)....One Jack and Burke hear the gunfire of course Jack going to go into full military mode, that's the only thing that he can do, it's what's best for everyone involved espically Daniel, he had to be the warrior and think like a warrior and not with his emotions at this point to help save everyone....Now when Daniel is down by the tree, after Jack's killed the bad guys, Jack's question about how many there were is what had to happen, Jack's still in military mode and he had to make sure the sceen is secure and Daniel is safe before he can do anything else, but he did have to connect with Daniel to get him to snap back into it, and that was with his trademark "Daniel" and his little nudge of the shoulder to Daniel, then when Daniel does snap out of it, I think his look of what the heck was I going to do with this rock, was there partly because he know Jack was with him and was going to keep him safe at all costs now....Then after they think the area is secure we do see Jack taking care of Daniel, wraping his wound and asking his he would be OK to walk, then when crazy dead guys gets up and starts shooting at them again, Jacks first reaction was to get Daniel to cover to keep him safe then come out and get the bad guy ( but Burke took care of that), then we see Jack helping Daniel stand and walk in the conversation with Burke....Now all of that shows me how much and how close of a friend Daniel is to Jack and Jack to Daniel...the last thing I want to say about this is, what I think some may have felt was missing was some type of "thank you" sceen between Daniel and Jack where we see Daniel's greatfulness to Jack and Jack's reaction of you mean to much I had to save you kind of thing...well if you think about it we didn't see Jack and Daniel come home, we don't really know how much time passed between the last time we saw Jack and Daniel in the jungle untill we see them at the foot of the gate...my guess is that at least one full day has passed (maybe even more) simply because we had to have time to get Jack and Daniel back to the SGC, Janet's had time to treat Daniel's GSW, and they both look cleaned up and rested, now I've always in my mind (yes that's a scary place) thought their was a very intimate "thank you" conversation between Jack and Daniel one there way back to the SGC (now don't take intimate the wrong way) I'm talking about the intimate conversations you have with your best friend, that you would have with other, Daniel telling Jack about what happened, Jack telling Daniel that he'll be there to help him get through it.....that kind of stuff...

OK now I know that was long, sorry I get long winded with this kind of stuff, but like I said that's just my view of things, everyone is intitiled to there own view, but maybe I can make people think about it a little differently.....

Comment

"It's NOT OK, I have 48 hours to find my friend", now right there something is said, Jack doesn't say he has 48 hours to find his colleagues, or his friends, he said "HIS FRIEND", speaking of Daniel, now Jack knows that Dr. Lee's missing too, and I'm sure he wants to find him, but it's Daniel that Jack's worried about not Dr. Lee, and it's said in that one phrase
                          Okay, I'll buy that. I still think that Jack sauntered too much, and I still think a "You okay?" or something is needed at the end, but that 48h line interpreted your way raises the ep a little.

Madeleine

Comment

I thought it was, too. And, I wouldn't have made quite the fuss about the lack of a real, feeling, goodbye scene if we hadn't had one for Teal'c and Sam. Making Daniel stand out like that was just wrong. And, no, having Jack leaning back with his eyes shut while Daniel is talking to him doesn't say to me "Ooh, they're so close they don't have to say anything." Might as well say, "Ooh, they're so close, they never have to look at each other. They never have to speak. If Jack invites Teal'c and Sam over to hang out and doesn't ask Daniel, that cinches that he cares more about Daniel." No.
                            Yes this "goodbye scene" between them on the Tok´ra ship was just strange. And I disliked Jack´s cold "I know" so much that I think that the scene would maybe have been better if they had just been sat silent together and not talked at all. That had maybe convinced me they know each other so long that they no longer need always to talk.
                            But the way the scene was done gave me not this impression and is one ,of many, reasons why I although still like "The lost city" it is my last favourite among all season end episodes (and this means that I like even "Out off mind" better...something that is surprising even me)

But, like I said, we've had some lovely moments between Jack and Daniel so far this season. Some where Jack and Daniel weren't even in the same room, but you know that Jack cared. So, since they've proven that they can still do it, I'll be on those writers if they stop it when the season restarts.
                            It had me surprised to see after season 7 some nice friendship moments in season 8. The question is: Will they keep it this way (or at last don´t put any episodes like "Evoltion 2" in it which seemd to be intendet to show this friendship as no longer existend) or will they follow the same pattern as in season 7 (and in season 5)?
                            Last edited by Hathor999; 21 November 2004, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Thank you for your post. I understand now better why I feel so bad about season 7 as I do. I think that without Evolution part 2 I had liked the second half of this season much more (and would not fear with every episode that season 8 will going bad again). This episode was a real punch in the guts for me. They had downplayed the friendship between Jack and Daniel before (I think there is a big difference between first and second half of season 5, too) but never I would have expected to see Jack behaving so disinterested in the destiny of any member of his team. I think if this episode never had been shown I had maybe still thought that I would liked some friendship moments but I had not missed them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by norriski

OK, like I said stop if you don't want Evolution spoilers...and I'll say sorry for the length now, cause this is going to be quite long.....

OK now in part 1 we don't see RDA until after Daniel has left for Honduras (sp?) - 1st time we see Jack's it's after Sams already came up with her dart plan...we are just left to think that Jack's been involved in stuff off camera (like I said this is do to RDA's scheudle)....Now later it's Jack that comes to Hammond and asks about Daniel because he's concerned for him, when Hammond says that he's 6 hours over due I think you see Jack's mind spinning, he knows that a couple of hours can be chalked up to Daniel just being Daniel but that 6 hours means somethings wrong. It's here that the way I see it Jack's already starting to think of ways he can help Daniel....Back to Daniel, he's comments about someone coming for them I think was really Daniels feelings that he trusted that no matter what Jack would come to rescue him....At the end of part 1 when Hammond comes into the briefing room and says he has bad news, if you look you'll see Jack purse (or tighten) his lips as Hammond is saying he had bad news, I think it's because Jack instinktively knows that it's about Daniel, then to me the look on his face is of someone who's just been punched in the emotional gut but is trying to hide it, as he's supposed to be the strong commander type guy...but the look in his eyes is one of I'll save my friend somewho some way at all costs....Now one to part 2....it starts with Jack in Hammonds office talking about what they know about Daniels situation, Jack's "unofficially" comment to Hammond was his way of letting the Gen. know that something was going to be done regardless of what the brass says, but he'll give them a little more time, and he suggest that they send a team in, again letting the Gen know that Jack's planning and going to be doing something, it shows how much Jacks been thinking about it, and that he'd rather have the Presidents blessing but he's going to do something with our without it, granted what I'm saying is just what I think was being implied in this sceen.....Again, next we see Jack he's with Hammond talking about Daniel (I think this shows that this was the major thing on Jacks mind at this point, even with all the other super soilder stuff going on)...now I know that in this sceen Hammond says that Burke requests Jack come down, but I never for one minute had a thought that Jack might not be going, I think it was set up that Jack was going down there to find Daniel come Hell or High Water....Now, the sceen in Carter's lab, can probably be seen in two ways, one way if your a shipper (which I admit that I'm not) or maybe the way I saw it, what I saw was someone that was concerned about his best friend going to another friend who is very close to both of them to let her know that he's going to go and get Daniel back. I think what I saw in his and Carter's face was concern for alot of things and one being that Jack was a little scared of what he might find, and that he trusted Carter to run the other mission, but that he was concerned for her too, but his concern for Daniel was to great and he had to do what was necessary to get him back (now if you listen to the commentary for this sceen you'll hear PD and AT talking about how so much of this sceen is played the the characters eyes showing the amount of concern they had for what was happening)....On to the Cantina, and Jacks look of distain for Burke to me really showed some emotion, probably on more than one level, but his comment to Burke after yanking his glasses off of "It's NOT OK, I have 48 hours to find my friend", now right there something is said, Jack doesn't say he has 48 hours to find his colleagues, or his friends, he said "HIS FRIEND", speaking of Daniel, now Jack knows that Dr. Lee's missing too, and I'm sure he wants to find him, but it's Daniel that Jack's worried about not Dr. Lee, and it's said in that one phrase....Now as for Jack and Burke traipsing around the jungle together, the way I saw that was the writers thought it would be a good way to get into some of Jacks background, rather than have him running around with some dweebing little guide that no one cared about, and could never have anything to potinitally add to the story now or in later ep's if wanted...also if a way if you think about it, the background we get here shows part of why it's so hard for Jack to trust people and have friends, and that when he does find that it must be something very special, because it doesn't come easy for him (thus strengthing the J/D friendship view...but that's all really just my psychological interpitation)....One Jack and Burke hear the gunfire of course Jack going to go into full military mode, that's the only thing that he can do, it's what's best for everyone involved espically Daniel, he had to be the warrior and think like a warrior and not with his emotions at this point to help save everyone....Now when Daniel is down by the tree, after Jack's killed the bad guys, Jack's question about how many there were is what had to happen, Jack's still in military mode and he had to make sure the sceen is secure and Daniel is safe before he can do anything else, but he did have to connect with Daniel to get him to snap back into it, and that was with his trademark "Daniel" and his little nudge of the shoulder to Daniel, then when Daniel does snap out of it, I think his look of what the heck was I going to do with this rock, was there partly because he know Jack was with him and was going to keep him safe at all costs now....Then after they think the area is secure we do see Jack taking care of Daniel, wraping his wound and asking his he would be OK to walk, then when crazy dead guys gets up and starts shooting at them again, Jacks first reaction was to get Daniel to cover to keep him safe then come out and get the bad guy ( but Burke took care of that), then we see Jack helping Daniel stand and walk in the conversation with Burke....Now all of that shows me how much and how close of a friend Daniel is to Jack and Jack to Daniel...the last thing I want to say about this is, what I think some may have felt was missing was some type of "thank you" sceen between Daniel and Jack where we see Daniel's greatfulness to Jack and Jack's reaction of you mean to much I had to save you kind of thing...well if you think about it we didn't see Jack and Daniel come home, we don't really know how much time passed between the last time we saw Jack and Daniel in the jungle untill we see them at the foot of the gate...my guess is that at least one full day has passed (maybe even more) simply because we had to have time to get Jack and Daniel back to the SGC, Janet's had time to treat Daniel's GSW, and they both look cleaned up and rested, now I've always in my mind (yes that's a scary place) thought their was a very intimate "thank you" conversation between Jack and Daniel one there way back to the SGC (now don't take intimate the wrong way) I'm talking about the intimate conversations you have with your best friend, that you would have with other, Daniel telling Jack about what happened, Jack telling Daniel that he'll be there to help him get through it.....that kind of stuff...

OK now I know that was long, sorry I get long winded with this kind of stuff, but like I said that's just my view of things, everyone is intitiled to there own view, but maybe I can make people think about it a little differently.....
                                I like your interpretation of this episodes and I wished I could see them the same way as you but I can´t. I can follow you about the first part, there I can see (with a little bit imagination) that Jack is concerned as he heard what happend to Daniel and Dr. Lee.

But in the second part almost all his concern seems to be gone.I interpret Jack´s idea to send a team as that he DON´T want to go himself. And I had the feeling that (after he had talked with Sam) he is even angry about being forced (because of Burkes request) to search for Daniel and Dr. Lee anstead to go with Sam and Teal´c.
                                You must understand that I don´t mind that Jack is concerned about Sam (even if he must know that with Teal´c, Brata´c and Jacob/Selmak she is so safe is she can be on a mission and that if there should be something were THEY can not safe her from he would fail, too) but he gave me the impression that it was completly unimportant for him what happend to Daniel.
                                And I can even interpret Jack´s annoyance with Burke as mainly based on the fact that he forced him to go to Honduras anstead going on the mission with Sam and Teal´c. He seemed all the time, as he and Burke walked through the jungle with his thoughts far, far, away and that gave me the feeling that we should believe that Jack´s mind is all the time by Sam´s mission and that what´s happend in Honduras was not really important to him. Only as the fight against the rebels started he reacted a little bit more like himself but that seemed IMO more his military-training as anything else.
                                Had he not all the episode behaved that way, I would not have missed a "are you O.K.?" after Daniels rescue but so I missed it very much.

It´s true he said "It´s not o.k, I have 48 hours to find my friend." but for me his behaviour turned this words in a phrase without any real meaning.

I really wished I could see more of that what you see in "Evolution"

I only hope that I will never see an episode that makes me feel so bad about this show like "Evolution" again (and I would say the same thing if it had not been about Daniel but about Sam or Teal´c).
                                Last edited by Hathor999; 21 November 2004, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X