No announcement yet.

The Jack O'Neill/Daniel Jackson slash and friendship thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, this is a refreshing change from all the other relation"ship" topics.

The relationship between Jack and Daniel has never been the center or heart of the show for me. It's just one aspect of the overall team dynamics. If less of that aspect was seen in season 7, I attribute it to two main factors. First, as has been mentioned, is RDA's reduced work schedule. Second, the writers just didn't seem to know what to do with Daniel. Is he the same as before he ascended? Is he different and if so, how? How does this change the team dynamics? It seems they went with the "Daniel is Daniel" approach and never had a clear direction for changes or the lack thereof. Like much of the season, they were coasting on the strength of previous work.

Comment

I come down somewhere in the middle of these views. As far as I am concerned, Jack and Daniel's friendship is the most important relationship in the show. Their different strengths were what made SG-1 great and also were a great part of the appeal of the show.

I agree that their relationship has not been given the attention or screen time it should have had in Season 7, and I agree that part of that is due to the writers not knowing what to do with Daniel.(I really don't understand this, Daniel is a vital part of the show, if the writers didn't know what to do with him, then why didn't they get new ones who did?)

On the other hand, unlike Dani, I still see their friendship in the scenes they do have together. To me the chemistry between the actors and the fact that I know the characters are friends gives me a sub-text that shines through even the most apparently humdrum scenes.

I don't think it makes sense to argue that because they have been shown to be friends in the past, that the writers don't need to include friendship scenes for them again. On the other hand, for me it doesn't take much to make a friendship scene - so I am not nearly as disappointed with the Jack and Daniel scene in Lost City 2 as I know a lot of people are. I am not trying to make excuses for the writers - they have made a lot of wrong choices. Still having lived through episodes like the Other Side or Scorched Earth - where it appeared that the writers were trying to make it look as if they were no longer friends, I can put up with a bit of (at least semi-benign) neglect.

SallyK

Comment

Originally posted by maboroshi
        [COLOR=Purple]Okay, I've dug up the script - but because of the large unfriendly "NO PORTION OF THIS SCRIPT MAY BE YADDA YADDA'D" IN ANY MEDIUM YADDA" paragraph on the front, I'll refrain from quoting here. (Don't want to get Gateworld in doody.) PM me and I'll give you the exact dialogue.

On looking it over again, I see they've just cut three lines of dialogue and reaction shots from J and D... but those lines and those looks were to include worlds of meaning... They follow the "I know" line.
        I just saw this, no it can't be.
        I had to stop and take a little time before posting or I could be banned for life.
        They did it, just what a lot of fans like me speculated, they really cut the JD scenes.
        And it was in the "I know" scene, a scene that was horrible to watch and that instead it was played totally different.
        How can they be so cruel?
        Don't they understand that they're driving fans away and that the show is suffering from this?
        I will never be able to go to Gatecon but I will not shut up for sure, there are other ways to communicate with Mallozzi.

Comment

And, you'll (general you, tptb you - especially tptb) never be able to convince me that every other scene was sooo vital, that this scene was the only one they could cut, or that the scene would have played badly or any reason that anyone in the history of the world or the universe could conjure up.
          I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
            And, you'll (general you, tptb you - especially tptb) never be able to convince me that every other scene was sooo vital, that this scene was the only one they could cut, or that the scene would have played badly or any reason that anyone in the history of the world or the universe could conjure up.
            But Sam had to get her attempted declaration of love in. Yeah...that's so much more important.

::wanders off to look for sarcasm icon::
            Webbgirl
            Keeper of Major Davis' Office Supplies

Webbgirl's Hangouts
            My Livejournal

Comment

Maboroshi was good enough to e-mail me the 'cut' bit. Two lines. Ten words from Daniel, one from Jack. Seven seconds to film, maybe ten if they spoke slowly and had a 'beat' or two between lines. It can't have been cut for time, but it would have made for a lovely scene. Oh well.

Madeleine

Comment

Would you be so kind as to e-mail me the cut bit if you still have it? I'll give you my share of the magic beans (whenever I finally get them).

xoxoxoxo

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Maboroshi - are we allowed to forward your snippet on to friends (privately of course!) or would you prefer us not to? Entirely up to you, you're the one with the script

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                    Maboroshi - are we allowed to forward your snippet on to friends (privately of course!) or would you prefer us not to? Entirely up to you, you're the one with the script
                    Actually I'd like to know that too. Maboroshi emailed it to me last week but I forgot to ask whether we could let other people see it and the last time I tried to PM it was returned as their mailbox was filled.

I agree. It would have been well less than half a minute of screen time to keep that part in and it would have made such a difference. Jack and Daniel are still sitting across a room but they could have pulled it off easily as something really deep and poignant.

Comment

I read this stuff about the missing snippet in the "I know" scene and decided I didn't want to know what it was. I mean it's what's on screen that counts.

Now, I'm insanely curious to see what few words they cut out. Maboroshi would you mind sending it to me in a private message?

Thanks in advance! I won't disclose it to anyone else without your permission.

BTW, does anyone know if they filmed this as written and then trimmed the scene down? Or did the scene get changed before it was ever filmed?
                      Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by epiphany
                        I agree. It would have been well less than half a minute of screen time to keep that part in and it would have made such a difference. Jack and Daniel are still sitting across a room but they could have pulled it off easily as something really deep and poignant.
                        I've already re-engineered the episode in my head. Now in my universe it did happen
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by epiphany
                          Actually I'd like to know that too. Maboroshi emailed it to me last week but I forgot to ask whether we could let other people see it and the last time I tried to PM it was returned as their mailbox was filled.
                          I'm one who tried to PM Maboroshi too. I'd love to see the quote.
                          No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SallyK
                            On the other hand, unlike Dani, I still see their friendship in the scenes they do have together. To me the chemistry between the actors and the fact that I know the characters are friends gives me a sub-text that shines through even the most apparently humdrum scenes.

SallyK
                            SallyK, I pretty much agree with your post, except for this bit about the chemistry.

I have to say that, for me, the chemistry has been hit or miss this season. Lost City was the best, enjoyed the Jack/Daniel friendship scenes in those two episodes. I thought the scene on the ship could have been better, but that was the only real disappointment.

In Fallen/Homecoming the Jack/Daniel stuff seemed flat, even the banter scenes. I thought the chemistry between Daniel/Teal'c, Daniel/Sam and Daniel/Jonas (never thought I'd say that ) was better than Daniel/Jack in those two episodes. Some of the other episodes were a little better, particularly the stuff in Fallout. The elevator scene in Grace was just weird (to me).

So I agree that they're still friends but somehow the chemistry hasn't lifted the humdrum scenes the way it used to.
                            Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

I always thought that they cut the scenes between Jack and Daniel to push the JS ship, because Jack had more chemistry with Teal'c and Daniel or something like that.
                              But in Lost City 2 Jack had a good farewell scene with Teal'c, so the relationship bewteen Jack and Sam can't be an issue.
                              It's not even the neverending excuse that there was no time, because this scene for LC2 was very brief.
                              Now I really can't find a reason.
                              I'm sure there is one and I'm scared to know what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                                SallyK, I pretty much agree with your post, except for this bit about the chemistry.

I have to say that, for me, the chemistry has been hit or miss this season. Lost City was the best, enjoyed the Jack/Daniel friendship scenes in those two episodes. I thought the scene on the ship could have been better, but that was the only real disappointment.

In Fallen/Homecoming the Jack/Daniel stuff seemed flat, even the banter scenes. I thought the chemistry between Daniel/Teal'c, Daniel/Sam and Daniel/Jonas (never thought I'd say that ) was better than Daniel/Jack in those two episodes. Some of the other episodes were a little better, particularly the stuff in Fallout. The elevator scene in Grace was just weird (to me).

So I agree that they're still friends but somehow the chemistry hasn't lifted the humdrum scenes the way it used to.
                                You do have a point about the Grace elevator scene - it is weird. On the other hand, the whole episode is one I try to think about as little as possible. After what that episode did to Sam's character, a little oddness between Jack and Daniel doesn't even make it on to my radar.

Otherwise I've been pretty happy with the scenes we've had, there just haven't been nearly enough of them.

SallyK

Comment

Working...
                                X