No announcement yet.

The Jack O'Neill/Daniel Jackson slash and friendship thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, new to the discussion. New to the board, in fact. Sorry if I'm just reapeating anything anything, but I've just basically read the last few pages and that's about it.

I've been watching the series on and off for the past five years up until about last year when I became obsessed. It had always been the J/D bits that drew me towards to show, even before I discovered slash. I think it was rewatching season two episodes that got me into the fandom and I really miss the good old days. Their friendship has been pushed onto the back burner, leaving a lot of things unresolved. Season Seven was a bit of disappointment, but Eight was definitely worse, though I haven't quite reached the end of it.

Fragile Balance was my biggest disappointment. It had the potential to be a great J/D episode, but I don't think Daniel and Jack really talk to each other at all. For instance, during the scene Sam and Teal'c are teasing mini-Jack in the comissary, Daniel is nowhere to be found. Or when they find mini-Jack fishing Daniel pushes off the responsibilty of explaining the fact he's a clone off on Sam. Where is Daniel during all of this? It seems like he'd be the first to want to poke fun at Jack's age. The only saving grace is the one part where Jack catches Daniel in his underwear drawer.
    Last edited by ShadeAngel; 11 May 2005, 08:38 PM.

Comment

When I look at how the actors play it (overall), I think Jack and Daniel are as close as ever. It's the writing and editing that causes the doubts - what they will and won't show, what they cut out. And while I totally buy that they're so close they don't have to express it in words or gestures, that closeness still needs to be expressed to the audience. We're not in their heads, unless you get the camera to take us there (and that IS possible).

The current staff doesn't get it. People complained about a lack of concern in Evolution, so in S8, Jack dangles precariously over the Cliffs of Insanity every time Daniel's missing. These writers seem to think their mistake in Evolution was the lack of a scene with Jack ripping his hair out from worry over Daniel. Unfortunately, that's not it at all.

What Evolution needed was one simple thing: in every scene after Jack finds out Daniel's been kidnapped and he's going after him, Jack needed to be in a hurry, or at least antsy. The scene with Carter would have played very differently if he'd been fidgety and antsy, instead of them playing the scene at the pace of a chess game. And Jack never should have stopped walking in the forest to chat with Burke. If Burke tried to stop him, he should have pushed on, kept moving ever closer to Daniel while he listened and responded to Burke. I really think that one simple thing - keeping Jack antsy and in a rush - would have conveyed that he had little room in his mind for anything but Daniel.

Little subtle things like that distinguish good filmmaking from adequate filmmaking. Unfortunately, we're dealing with writers who write in neon lights. They think if they overcompensate for their screwups, we'll forgive them. But overcompensation can be as unsatisfying as undercompensation.

Stargate answers the question of exactly what great actors can do with bad scripts - quite a lot, it turns out, or this show would have been cancelled in the fourth season. But as amazed as I am by what the cast continues to deliver, I find myself resenting more and more everything that gets in their way.
      The Hathor Legacy: What TV and Film are Really Saying about Women.

My Stargate Fanfiction

Comment

So, over in the Daniel thunk thread there has recently been some discussion as to the nature of Jack and Daniel's relationship. I thought it would be nice to have a place where we could all come and discuss the more, um, uncommon side of things *cough*SLASH*cough*.

So, if you are a Jack/Daniel slasher, please feel free to share your thoughts and feelings here. I just ask that we try to keep this as PG as possible sticking to the general forum rules.

IF YOU ARE NOT A SLASHER, please do not make any rude comments to those of us here. I know this is a touchy subject, but I know there are a lot of us out there. So, please let's just try and keep this as respectful as possible.

So, what got you started on the Jack/Daniel band wagon? Was it an episode? Fanfic? Lots of little things all piling up into one?

Let's get sharing!

Kerri

Comment

I saw the word on another forum and with my insatiable appetite for "Googling" quickly discovered "that" Diary and THING!...

I'm a sucker for humour and I swear I was engrossed for 3 days....I laughed so hard I did actually fall off my chair during the "not-monkey" incident and I still giggle uncontrollably when it pops back into my mind!...

Dee Dee xx
          sigpic
          Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
          MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Originally posted by discodiva
            I saw the word on another forum and with my insatiable appetite for "Googling" quickly discovered "that" Diary and THING!...

I'm a sucker for humour and I swear I was engrossed for 3 days....I laughed so hard I did actually fall off my chair during the "not-monkey" incident and I still giggle uncontrollably when it pops back into my mind!...

Dee Dee xx
            THING!! Not-Monkey! OMG. I LOVE that story. It's sooooooooooo funny. You HAVE to read Scratch at the same site if you haven't yet. So great. All her stories are great, really.

Kerri

Comment

Ooh you got merged!

Hmm, hope the other guys aren't offend by the slash!

Well I love Jack, I love Danny and yes I love them loving each other. I really love wimpy Danny loving Jack. Can I post a pic? Hmm, not now 'cause it is like 11pm here! Later tomorrow. Are pics O.K?

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                Ooh you got merged!

Hmm, hope the other guys aren't offend by the slash!

Well I love Jack, I love Danny and yes I love them loving each other. I really love wimpy Danny loving Jack. Can I post a pic? Hmm, not now 'cause it is like 11pm here! Later tomorrow. Are pics O.K?
                I hope pix are okay cuz I made a .gif(t) for Kerri and all you slashy types...

Only about 700k this time!

Comment

Originally posted by blingaway

Aww! Thanks Bling! Sadly I cannot see it as work has blocked the page! Grr... I'll see it when I get home. But I'm sure it's lovely!

Kerri

PS - Oops. Didn't see this one before I started mine. Oh, well. Merging it good.

Comment

Ahhhhh! SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Excuse me while I hyperventelate for a while. And drool on the iBook (which can't be good for it...)

They are so doing it.

FF, Bad Woman tm.
                    sigpic

Comment

*Claps hands and bows at the wonderfullness that is Blingy!*

Deeds xx
                      sigpic

Comment

Aww! Bling! That's lovely. Thank you!! *MWAH!*

Kerri

Comment

HAH! finally find the thread that Kerri refer to. Well, for me, J/D ship whether relationship and/or friendship both are beautiful or were beautiful until late season 7ish, not much to see afterwards.
                          I never read slash, had no intention to read slash but I'm crazy about SG-1 fanfics, then one day got the recommendation about Anais's Diary, yes FrostyFox the THING start it all.. GOD! that one is so funny and now I'm kinda stuck with J/D ships (and just so you know I don't read any other slash outside J/D). They're special and one of a kind, and since we can't see that anymore in the series, I console myself in fanfics (and maybe reading posts in this thread). Goodnight for now.
                          sigpic
                          sig.by : lilferret

Comment

Oh I so agree with you L-JADE....J/D is also my only OTP....I agree it's the special friendship and the way the characters have interacted with each other right from the beginning which has intrigued and enthralled me...the guys play them so perfectly in the programme and some of the writers have captured them so marvellously in fanfiction....I can't see anyone else ever having that certain something that Jack and Daniel have....

Always there for each other

The witty repartee

Just two great friends, whichever way you look at it

As I said something special...

Deeds xx *shutting up now*
                            sigpic

Comment

Love the pictures. I've never seen the 'slash' myself, but I do like the slash fics that use it as a way of exploring the emotional aspects of their friendship.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
                                Love the pictures. I've never seen the 'slash' myself, but I do like the slash fics that use it as a way of exploring the emotional aspects of their friendship.

It's a purely optional reading of the subtext between them, their friendship is just as interesting and as you rightly said, some well written slash explores their friendship on levels that might not otherwise be touched upon. I feel a bit like the guys who read Playboy for the articles but 90% of the time I'm reading slash for the relationship not the sex (the other 10% is hot though...)

The only people I have no time for are the homophobes. Bigotry is never pretty, particularly not in fans.

FF who's off to Gay Pride in Manchester this afternoon, a wonderful, family friendly, life afferming event for everyone of every persuasion which celebrates diversity, not hate.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X