The Jack O'Neill/Daniel Jackson slash and friendship thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by melpomene
    I think what we're seeing is just a more grown up Jack and Daniel. I think Jack might respect Daniel more and maybe isn't quite sure how to treat him. He used to treat him more like a boy. Now the boy's grown up but they don't quite have the knowing manly bond Jack and Teal'c have. I think maybe there's been a little awkwardness. Daniel was so mature and aloof when he was a glow boy and in season 7 he was both mature and clueless. I think maybe they're still getting used to each other. After all awkwardness was a constant in thier friendship. But I don't think it's over. Just a little confused.
    That's kind of how I see their relationship now as well. I think Jack used to feel responsible for Daniel - he was a civilian and pretty headstrong in the early days.

Now I see them as equals. Daniel's not the little brother anymore. He's not hardcore military but can certainly take care of himself.

I don't think Jack really knew how to treat Daniel when he came back. Their relationship felt awkward at times in S7. Jack accepted the whole death/ascension thing and here was Daniel back - alive. A Daniel who doesn't even remember being ascended or the events of Abyss. Jack may have felt uneasy about who Daniel really was now.

In S8 I felt their relationship was back to normal and very much a relationship of equals. Jack respects Daniel's opinion - maybe more than he ever has. He trusts him to think with his head not his heart - as he did so often in the earlier years. Likewise Daniel seems to understand the "military" side of Jack more than he ever has. The friendship seems much easier, less filled with contentious discussions. I also think Jack now believes it's almost impossible to kill Daniel.

I'm not sure I'd call them "best friends" because I think Jack is close to all his team but I think they'll always have a bond because i) Daniel really has seen Jack at his worst - especially in the movie when he helped Jack get over the death of his son and ii) they've been thru a heck of a lot the last few years. They have the kind of friendship where you may not talk to someone for months or years but you know they'll be there for you if you need them.
    Last edited by keshou; 09 April 2005, 11:03 AM.
    Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker Case
      But, mostly, he's just returning the favour, so to speak, and showing how much he's learned about the power of sitting still. I'm just not sure how clear Jack was on this, or anything where Daniel was concerned, this until the crisis in 'Lifeboat' occurred.

More than simply answering Daniel's actions in 'Abyss,' it does seem to be the moment Jack pulls his head out of...er, pulls himself together and starts acting like the friend he claimed to be.
      TC
      I'd been looking for a bookend to Abyss (Evolution, could of been it, but sadly wasn't) and you've made Lifeboat it for me. Thank you.
      Last edited by Frostfox; 09 April 2005, 10:57 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox
        I'd been looking for a bookend to Abyss (and Evolution, which could of been it but sadly wasn't) and you've made Lifeboat it for me. Thank you.
        You're welcome.

The lovely thing is, I think I've only just this minute managed to do it for myself (pending review of the episodes to test the theory).

It really does pay to talk about these things.

Ha! I knew coming here would be good for me.

TC

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
          I think the answer is in Abyss rather than Meridian. I thnk the reason Jack stayed with Daniel was because he knew the value of having a supportive friend nearby when death is looming.
          And here I've always thought they probably wrote it that way because it minimized RDA's time in the episode. Easy and quick to shoot those "gazing thru the window" scenes.

I like your idea better.
          Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Well, I just showed my best friend the extra on the Lost City DVD.... yep... he's been torturing me for ages now over Jack and Sam and "They wuv each other!" just because he knows it makes me wretch... and now I've started "Look at Jack and Daniel, they can't keep their hands OFF each other!" which apparently makes him reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaally uncomfortable.... Mwahahahahahaha.... and the extra on the Lost City DVD, well, that just clinches it. It's canon.

Comment

I watched Maternal Instinct the other day.... I also watched Abyss.

In Maternal Instinct Daniel comes out of the temple (adorably barefoot, but I digress!) and Jack's in full military mode, and Daniel tells him to put down his weapon. He says something like, "Jack, if you're ever going to trust me, NOW is the time."

Does Jack put down his weapon? No. Finally, after many tense moments I think Bra'tac was the one to lay down his weapon and encouraged Jack to do so as well, and then Jack followed suit. He trusted BRA'TAC there in that instance. At that point I think he trusted Daniel on a lot of things - academic things, intellectual things... but not on matter-of-life-and-death things.

In Abyss, in the very last Jack and Daniel scene in the infirmary after Jack's escape Daniel tells him that he's gonna be okay and Jack asked, "How do you know?" and Daniel says "You're just going to have to trust me" and Jack says without hesitation, "I can do that."

Those are kinda bookends moments for me!

Comment

Originally posted by tashgate
                At that point I think (Jack) trusted Daniel on a lot of things - academic things, intellectual things... but not on matter-of-life-and-death things.

In Abyss, in the very last Jack and Daniel scene in the infirmary after Jack's escape Daniel tells him that he's gonna be okay and Jack asked, "How do you know?" and Daniel says "You're just going to have to trust me" and Jack says without hesitation, "I can do that."

Those are kinda bookends moments for me!
                Good old 'Abyss,' doing double-duty on the bookend thing.

For such a pivotal episode - for such a pivotal Jack and Daniel episode - it isn't one I come back to, all that much. I love the Jack and Daniel scenes more than I could possibly express, but the rest of it I tend to fast-forward through. If I watch the episode in its entirety, it's because I've got the commentary turned on.

'The Changeling,' on the other hand, I adore from top to bottom; it's the jewel in my Season 6 crown, even though there's not a single Jack and Daniel scene in it – although I find it very fitting that, even in Teal'c's dream, Jack is the one who knows a guy who can help Teal'c and sends "Dr. Jackson" his way.

I think a lot of 'Abyss' is lost on me, sometimes. For all the tension and drama, the anger, the despair, the weight and measure of Daniel's presence and the turning tide of Jack's trust, Daniel choosing his old ties over the new rules and the sheer ingenuity of his actions, I keep coming back to their mirroring attitudes towards ascension and each other: To the way Daniel, having made poor Oma work so hard to convince him of his worth and help him see that he was capable of ascending, doesn't hesitate for a second to declare Jack a fitting candidate, only to have Jack resist, on the grounds that ascension is for truly exceptional human beings, special people - people like Daniel - and not a guy like him.

As much as I love that they prize each other so highly, I could smack the both of them sometimes for not getting it about themselves. Not that humility isn't adorable on them. Or that it isn't cute, the way each one can be the vanguard of the other's self-regard.

They're learning.

TC

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker Case
                  To the way Daniel, having made poor Oma work so hard to convince him of his worth and help him see that he was capable of ascending, doesn't hesitate for a second to declare Jack a fitting candidate, only to have Jack resist, on the grounds that ascension is for truly exceptional human beings, special people - people like Daniel - and not a guy like him.

TC
                  That was one of my very favorite exchanges ever - "I'm not you." "Yeah... since when did that ever stop you?" So simple. So understated. So perfect.

And yes, Abyss DOES bookend nicely with SO many other eps, even reaching as far back as Need - Jack was there for Daniel who was going through something that Jack understood.... and now Daniel was there for Jack who was going through something that Daniel understood...

Comment

Well, I just showed my best friend the extra on the Lost City DVD.... yep... he's been torturing me for ages now over Jack and Sam and "They wuv each other!" just because he knows it makes me wretch... and now I've started "Look at Jack and Daniel, they can't keep their hands OFF each other!" which apparently makes him reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaally uncomfortable.... Mwahahahahahaha.... and the extra on the Lost City DVD, well, that just clinches it. It's canon.
                    Oh my!? What extras?? Details please?

Comment

Originally posted by whisper99
                      Oh my!? What extras?? Details please?
                      Oh, you HAVE to get the DVDs for the sheer joy of that extra alone. Each DVD in the set had a behind the scenes look at an ep, etc., and the fifth DVD in the set had extras for Lost City. I think Wraith posted some caps from it here in this thread. Yep... you'll never watch the scene where Daniel and Jack are talking on the phone the same way again. LOL

Comment

Bumpin...

My Favorite Jayne Quotes:
                        "Time for some thrilling heroics."
                        "These are stone killers, little man. They ain't cuddly like me."
                        "Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in ruttin' command."
                        "I'll be in my bunk."

Comment

Oh, you HAVE to get the DVDs for the sheer joy of that extra alone. Each DVD in the set had a behind the scenes look at an ep, etc., and the fifth DVD in the set had extras for Lost City. I think Wraith posted some caps from it here in this thread. Yep... you'll never watch the scene where Daniel and Jack are talking on the phone the same way again. LOL
                          LMAO! Here's the pics, for anyone who didn't see them:

Co-President of F.O.R.D. My SG-1 Slashfiction MyLiveJournal

Comment

I just love the one where it looks like Jack is tweaking Danny's nipple.

MS is looking MIGHTY FINE in that pic...*sigh*.

I still cannot get the pics I am trying to manip to work. I suck at this...

My Favorite Jayne Quotes:
                            "Time for some thrilling heroics."
                            "These are stone killers, little man. They ain't cuddly like me."
                            "Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in ruttin' command."
                            "I'll be in my bunk."

Comment

Originally posted by bugchicklv

MS is looking MIGHTY FINE in that pic...*sigh*.

I still cannot get the pics I am trying to manip to work. I suck at this...
                              LOL...that is a good one. I may have to watch that feature tonight.

As for the manip, I'm sure it'll be great!
                              Co-President of F.O.R.D. My SG-1 Slashfiction MyLiveJournal

Comment

Originally posted by bugchicklv
                                Looks like? He's doin' it. Yep, he is.

Comment

Working...
                                X