This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major Marks

Just a random thing I've noticed. In Avalon, "Lieutenant Marks" (with First Lieutenant markings on his shoulders) appeared as part of the crew of the Prometheus. He was the guy operating the sensors and transporters when they scanned Glastonbury. He appeared again, in Ethon, as "Captain Marks" (with Captain markings on his shoulders). The following episode, he'd joined the crew of the Odyssey: no doubt the survivors of the Prometheus were incorporated into the crew.

My issue is this: in the write-up on iMDb, he's listed as Lieutenant Marks in Avalon and Ethon, and Major Marks in every subsequent appearence. On one of the wiki's (not sure if its the Stargate one, or the actual one), he's listed as having been promoted to Major by the end of Season 9. Which is pretty silly.

What I'm wondering is whether the rank of Major is an error on the part of the viewers, or on the part of the producers. I don't know where rank is represented on a Daedalus/Odyssey uniform, so I can't go looking for it - I'm pretty sure it isn't on the shoulders as before. If someone knows where it is, or knows where it says "Major Marks" (is he credited as that?), could you let me know?

Alternatively, was he referred to as Major in dialog? If so, that's easy to explain. There's a tradition, on Naval vessels: the "Captain" is the person in command of the ship. It doesn't matter what their actual rank is, the CO is always referred to as Captain. However, that makes it complicated when you start having Marines aboard your ship. To avoid confusion, any "Captain" in the Marines can't be referred to as that. Instead, they're referred to as "Major". If Emerson has referred to Marks as Major, or anyone else for that matter, it could be a head-nod to that Navy tradition.

I know its a random thing to ask about, but still. Things like this worry me. Sad, isn't it? Lol.
    Captain Untouchable
    Captain's Blog

You know, I was wondering that myself. but I didn't wonder that first. first I wondered who they heck he was because he was listed with the MAIN cast for "Flesh and Blood" at imdb

Here's what GW's omnipedia has to say.

They're still airforce, which means captain is below major which is below colonel, right?

Yeah, I have no idea, so I guess that didn't help much...

Comment

Yeah, they're still Air Force, but I'm talking about a Navy tradition. The person who is in command of the ship is the "Captain". In the Royal Air Force, that term is also used to describe the officer in charge of a large aircraft, like a Hercules (C-130), or an E-3 Sentry.

Because the RAF uses Navy-esque ranks rather than Army-esque ones, it isn't a problem. But if the same traditions are true in America, you could quite easily get a situation where the "Captain" of the ship isn't the only 'Captain' aboard.

Granted, Emmerson is a Colonel. But he could introduce himself as either "Colonel Paul Emmerson, Commander of the Odyssey", or "Colonel Paul Emmerson, Captain of the Odyssey". Both introductions would be equally correct, because 'Captain' is one of the traditional titles of a Commanding Officer. If someone was to say "Where's the Captain?", you'd assume they meant the most senior person on the ship - Colonel Emmerson.

His rank may be "Colonel", but that doesn't preclude him from having the title of "Captain". Even though he's Air Force.

Originally posted by nebulan
      You know, I was wondering that myself. but I didn't wonder that first. first I wondered who they heck he was because he was listed with the MAIN cast for "Flesh and Blood" at imdb
      Unfortunately, the Omnipoedia doesn't feature anything for him from Off The Grid or later yet. My guess on the "Main Cast" thing though would be that "Flesh and Blood" will heavily feature the Odyssey, or whatever ship the crew ends up on if they blew it up in Camalot. I think its probably a typo that he's listed with the top six; he should be down with Matthew Glave and Tony Amendola...

Going from First Lieutenant to Major inside a year though...that's a bit extreme. A promotion history worthy of Battlestar Galactica, if you ask me.

Edit 2:

Just noticed: Michael Shanks isn't listed in the credits at all, and yet we know from spoilers that he features in the episode (I think). My guess is that iMDb messed up a bit.
      Last edited by Captain Untouchable; 30 May 2006, 04:25 AM.
      Captain Untouchable
      Captain's Blog

Comment

Working...
      X