This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McCaffrey Works Appreciation

With the recent renewal of the news regarding Pern possibly coming to the big screen, I thought there should be a thread where we can discuss her works (and those of her son). And share the experiences we've all might have had soaring in the skies upon the backs of her mighty dragons of Pern, or standing side-by-side with the Hrrubans on Doona, or facing the dinosaurs of Ireta, or chasing down the planet pirates...

At first, it was just going to be Pern, but she also wrote many other books that are just as good, so I decided to encompass all of her Universes.

How did you start reading her? What books have you read of her's? What were your favorite books? The best lines?
    sigpic
    "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
    Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

interesting thread... as to when i started reading her works.... i thikn back in hs.. long time ago.. what series have i read... i love the Rowan series... but then anything that deals wth telepathy and telekinisis is right up my ally too
    sigpic

Comment

The first book I read was Dragonflight, probably sometime in the mid 70's. She had several books out already, which I tracked down and read. Lucky for me my mom was also a huge fan, so we kind of split the cost on the books. I mentioned on another thread that I waited six MONTHS for the library to get The White Dragon in when it was published (I couldn't afford to buy the hardcover and NO WAY was I waiting for it to be in paperback).

One of the things that impresses me so about Anne, is the many different series and worlds that she created. Pern, Doona, Petaybee, Pegasus/Rowan series, Ship Who Sang series, Crystal Singer series, and the Freedom series. Of course, my favorite is Pern, but the Ship Who Sang and to Ride Pegasus are also very dear to my heart. And I very much enjoyed Restoree.

I love her short story collections, but I'm afraid I'm not as thrilled with her collaberations. I'm thinking that The White Dragon is my favorite book of hers. No, maybe All the Weyrs of Pern. Wait, I think it's Get Off the Unicorn. Uh, maybe it's too hard to pick a favorite....

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

I think I've read most of her Pern novels. My favorites would probably be the Harper Hall/Menolly trilogy of Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, and Dragondrums. Menolly was a great character.

I've also read her Planet Pirates and Freedom series, which I thought were enjoyable but not as good as Pern.

Comment

I've read and loved most of her books - haven't read the pirates, dinosaur or doona series though - but one that I particularly enjoyed was Restoree. I imagine it's a bit dated now but I read it a few times and always wished there was a follow up.

I haven't been reading the Pern books that have been published in the last 2 years or so as I don't feel they have been as strong as the earlier works. The last one that really stands out in my mind that I really enjoyed was the Dolphins of Pern.
          sigpic

Comment

Pern rocks my world. Its just sad; there's been so much chitchat about a possible Pern movie for so many years that I just can't get excited about it. I was reading McCaffrey and Pierz Anthony (love love LOVE the "Xanth" novels!!!!) at about the same time during my teen years. I still have all my books and pull them out from time to time because lets face it- a good story, no matter the genre, never gets old.

Comment

Oh and Masterharper of Pern. That made me cry.
              sigpic

Comment

I first started reading her books two years ago, toward the end of my senior year of high school. I had just finished reading Dragonworld by Byron Priess and Michael Reeves and was still thirsting for more dragons like Draco of Dragonheart. I came upon several of Anne's books in the school library, including the Harper Hall Trilogy and the first two Pern books. I was a little hesitant at first, but I decided to try out the Harper Hall books--and quickly found myself immersed.

I have now read all but one Pern story--"The Impression", which I just got recently and will soon read. I read a few of her other short stories in the Girl Who Heard Dragons anthology, the first Doona, and all but the last of the Planet Pirates/Dinosaur Planet books. I didn't read the last one yet, because I had to read Dragonquest again for my recent writing project where have one of my Human characters on a world inhabited by Dragons and reading that book with a young Dragon.

sigpic
                "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
                Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

Working...
                X