Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dragonriders of Pern coming to the big screen!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dragonriders of Pern coming to the big screen!

Just saw this over at SciFiWire!
    http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=3&id=36303

I am so excited. I really hope this one pans out! I remember being disappointed about the TV series before. I'll have to break out my books - it's been nearly ten years since I've read them!
    "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
    My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

If it actually happens it'll be brilliant.
    sigpic

Comment

This could be interesting. I'll have to remember to keep an eye on it now and then.
      [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

Oh my WORD! I hope it actually happens! I'm a huge Anne McCaffrey fan. I can remember when The White Dragon book came out. I requested it at the library (it was a huge hardcover book--way beyond my meager budget at the time) and it took six MONTHS before they got it in. Meanwhile, my cousin brought his copy to a family reunion and I snatched it greedily from his hands (so to speak) and tried to devour whole chunks of it before the day was over. *sigh* Oh for the days when a new Pern book was a huge deal....

I wish my favorite authors would write more.

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

I've read the first Pern book- does anyone have a sequentially ordered list? Or recommend the best one?

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
            I've read the first Pern book- does anyone have a sequentially ordered list? Or recommend the best one?

This is the order that they were written, there is also a different order for Chronological, but Anne McCaffrey (and myself) recommend reading them the way it was intended, by publishing date.

Dragonflight, Ballantine 1968 & Walker & Co (hc
            Dragonquest, Ballantine 1971
            The White Dragon, Del Rey / Ballantine 1978
            Dragonsong, Atheneum 1976
            Dragonsinger, Atheneum 1977
            Dragondrums, Atheneum 1979
            Moreta, Dragonlady of Pern, Del Rey 1983
            Nerilka’s Story, Del Rey / Corgi Feb 1986
            Dragonsdawn, Del Rey Nov 1988
            Renegades of Pern, Del Rey Nov 1989 (hc)
            All The Weyrs of Pern, Del Rey Oct 1991 (hc)
            Chronicles of Pern: First Fall, Del Rey Nov 1993 (hc)
            The Dolphins of Pern, Del Rey Sept 1994
            Dragonseye (UK: Red Star Rising), Feb 1997
            The Masterharper of Pern, Del Rey 1998
            The Skies of Pern, Del Rey 2001
            Dragon's Kin, with Todd McCaffrey, Nov 2003
            Dragonsblood, by Todd McCaffrey

In my opinion the first 3 are the best, so if you're just going to read a couple, I'd read them.

I'm also glad to hear of the optioning, I'm crossing my fingers that it turns out great.
            It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

I'd say read them in the order they were published. They're listed in order by publishing date here:
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonriders_of_Pern

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by xfkirsten
                  I'd say read them in the order they were published. They're listed in order by publishing date here:
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonriders_of_Pern
                  But they make sense no matter what order you read them in, so if you can't read them in the correct order, don't worry about it.

Comment

YAHOO!!!!!!!

It's finally rolling again! Hope it comes soon! I'll be in the theater on opening day!

Anne became my top favorite author 2 years ago when I first picked up Dragonsong. Spent a whole year after that devouring the series. And then some time after that devouring some of her other books. Pern is definately the best book series I've ever read.
                    sigpic
                    "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
                    Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

That is so awesome depending on how they do with the movie it will be amazing. Also any of you that lament Anne McCaffery cancelling the WB show don't. They wanted to make something along the lines of Buffy she hated the idea and canned the show. Goof for her I say.

Comment

It's nice to hear of another potentially good fantasy movie in progress.....now I'd better get caught up on the books.

Comment

I'll believe it when I see it. They've been promising a Dragonriders something for too long, now.

I wonder if Peter Williams is gonna try out for F'lar. I seem to recall him saying Anne McCaffrey told him she thought he looked the part...

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Reynolds
                            That is so awesome depending on how they do with the movie it will be amazing. Also any of you that lament Anne McCaffery cancelling the WB show don't. They wanted to make something along the lines of Buffy she hated the idea and canned the show. Goof for her I say.
                            I don't blame Anne, or Ronald Moore, who was to be the producer of the show, for cancelling that WB effort. Rather, my flame goes to network execs who forced the cancelation by imposing such changes.
                            sigpic
                            "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
                            Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

Yeah, I'd definitely rather see the series done right or not at all, so in that respect I'm glad that the TV show didn't make it.

Comment

Working...
                              X