Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That horrible horrible 'Timeline' Movie.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That horrible horrible 'Timeline' Movie.

Up till now, I didn't think it was even remotely possible to take such an excellent and well thought out book, and turn it into that horrible POS movie.

I mean, come on, It took a good 100 pages of the book just to set everything up, and within the first 5 minutes of the movie it was like:

"We can send you back in time."

"Ok."

And they knocked like 31 hours off the mission, and they cut out the green chapel, and they moved the monestary...and....and....

What was the point in adding that French guy? I mean, did they really need to add a character just to kill him off 5 minutes in?

It's only been out for about a year, and I already demand that they redo it! Poor Michael Crichton....
    sigpic

I haven't read the book, but i thoought it was horrible... i share ur thoughts on how it wasn't good, but thanks for sharing the comparisons of what changed and stuff
    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Agreed. I really liked the book. I generally like Crichton, but most of the movies made from his stuff have been pale comparisons (exceptions being the Jurassic Park stuff and Coma). There was little reason for Timeline to suck so bad, but I think they started with a weak adaptation script and then picked an action/adventure director who is better known for directing "star vehicles". I think the studio was hoping it was going to be a breakthrough for Paul Walker...who I think was miscast in the first place.

I just hate it when Hollywood ruins a perfectly good book.
      Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
      O'Neill: Who doesn't?
      - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
      - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
      once done, cannot be undone...
      brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
        I just hate it when Hollywood ruins a perfectly good book.
        Timeline would HAVE to be a 3 hour movie. If done properly, it would be long, but it would rock.
        sigpic

Comment

Man, I loved TIMELINE! I thought it was creative and exciting. Who cares if it's not all perfect, I still loved it and it's now one of my favorite movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Erin
            Man, I loved TIMELINE! I thought it was creative and exciting. Who cares if it's not all perfect, I still loved it and it's now one of my favorite movies.
            Then don't ever read the book, or you'll hate the movie so much.....
            sigpic

Comment

I read the book and liked it. The movie sucked. I am not even comparing it to the book. It was just a bad movie.
              "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

You have no idea how excited I was a few years ago when I heard that there was gonna be a Timeline movie.....I felt nausious in the movie theatre because it was so bad....

I mean, they changed the physics of it all...what the hell was this 'accidental' wormhole? In the book, they could go anywhere they wanted. It made the ending of the book better than the movie, IMHO.

Allthough i do forgive them for losing the water shields....that would have been expensive.

Also, Donager wasn't enough of a jerk in the movie.
                sigpic

Comment

Guess I'll have to download it and see what the fuzz is all about.

Comment

I wonder if Crichton could have done what Clive Cussler is doing now, suing to try and stop the film. Cussler's Sahara is being turned into piece of crap like Crichton's Timeline was, and Cussler is trying to do something about it.
                    Carter: Navigation? O'Neill: Check. Carter: Oxygen, Pressure, Temperature Control?
                    O'Neill: Check. Carter: Internal Dampeners? O'Neill: Cool!, and Check. Carter: Engine?
                    O'Neill: All Check. O'Neill: Phasers? Carter: Sorry Sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                      Up till now, I didn't think it was even remotely possible to take such an excellent and well thought out book, and turn it into that horrible POS movie.

I mean, come on, It took a good 100 pages of the book just to set everything up, and within the first 5 minutes of the movie it was like:

"We can send you back in time."

"Ok."

And they knocked like 31 hours off the mission, and they cut out the green chapel, and they moved the monestary...and....and....

What was the point in adding that French guy? I mean, did they really need to add a character just to kill him off 5 minutes in?

It's only been out for about a year, and I already demand that they redo it! Poor Michael Crichton....
                      Didn't anyone tell you that book-based movies are never like the book?

Comment

Well, that's Hollywood for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson
                          They usually aren't THAT bad!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson
                            Well, of course not. They never can be. But they don't have to be complete butcher jobs, either. There have been some brilliant and wonderful film adaptations of great (and even mediocre) books. Timeline just wasn't one of them. I can see how, if you didn't read the book, it would be less stupid.
                            Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                            O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                            - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                            - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                            once done, cannot be undone...
                            brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
                              I can see how, if you didn't read the book, it would be less stupid.
                              I can't.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X