PDA

View Full Version : SGA #3 - The Chosen

Elite Anubis Guard
May 3rd, 2006, 07:21 AM
http://stargatenovels.com/images/SGA3_TheChosen368x600.jpg
With Ancient technology scattered across the Pegasus galaxy, the Atlantis team is not surprised to find it in use on a world once defended by Dalera, an Ancient who was cast out of her society for falling in love with a human.

But in the millennia since Dalera's departure much has changed. Her strict rules have been broken, leaving her people open to Wraith attack. Only a few of the Chosen remain to operate Ancient technology vital to their defense and tensions are running high. Revolution simmers close to the surface.

When Major Sheppard and Rodney McKay are revealed as members of the Chosen, Daleran society convulses into chaos. Wanting to help resolve the crisis and yet refusing to prop up an autocratic regime, Sheppard is forced to act when Teyla and Lieutenant Ford are taken hostage by the rebels…

Well I havent got it yet, but will be soon. Cover isnt too good IMHO.

Elite Anubis Guard
May 3rd, 2006, 09:59 AM
http://www.elizabethchristensen.com/webexcerpt.htm

An excerpt from the one of the author's websites.

HirogenGater
May 3rd, 2006, 11:09 AM
Sound good. Agreed the cover could have been better.

Elite Anubis Guard
May 3rd, 2006, 12:07 PM
The Atlantis covers havent been that good. I've gotta wait like another week to get this. Stupid pay day.

HirogenGater
May 3rd, 2006, 12:30 PM
The Atlantis covers havent been that good. I've gotta wait like another week to get this. Stupid pay day.

Let us know what you think. I still haven't read any of the Atlantis books.

Elite Anubis Guard
May 3rd, 2006, 12:33 PM
I'm actually re-reading the pilot novel at the moment.

knocknashee
May 4th, 2006, 02:45 PM
I read the excerpt and it seems like this is going to be another good one. I'll have to wait until next Friday a while before I can get it to find out though...

I have to say, the cover art for the Atlantis books hasn't been anything spectacular, but then, I don't look at the cover - I read the words inside - so it's inconsequential really. They do the job and I have seen far worse.

HirogenGater...my recommendation for the SGA books would be to start with 'Reliquary'. I found the Rising novelisation boring as hell, and it was written from scripts before canon names and spellings were established, and before the final edit of the show was released. The differences in spelling from the now accepted canon are really distracting, and there is little in there that isn't in the ep. I have to be honest though - I've yet to read a novelisation of any filmed media that has held a candle to the show it was derived from. The idea of a book to me is to add nuances that might not have been apparent in the show, however, 'Rising' was bland beyond belief - a shame really cos there were plenty of places had the book been written after the final edit, where stuff could have been added.

sueKay
May 4th, 2006, 02:48 PM
The covers for both shows have been a bit...lacking.

Premise sounds quite good though :)

Reliquary's a good book...I'd recommend it :)

Elite Anubis Guard
May 4th, 2006, 10:52 PM
I rather liked Reliquarys cover, as well as all the SG1 covers.

HirogenGater
May 5th, 2006, 03:34 PM
I read the excerpt and it seems like this is going to be another good one. I'll have to wait until next Friday a while before I can get it to find out though...

I have to say, the cover art for the Atlantis books hasn't been anything spectacular, but then, I don't look at the cover - I read the words inside - so it's inconsequential really. They do the job and I have seen far worse.

HirogenGater...my recommendation for the SGA books would be to start with 'Reliquary'. I found the Rising novelisation boring as hell, and it was written from scripts before canon names and spellings were established, and before the final edit of the show was released. The differences in spelling from the now accepted canon are really distracting, and there is little in there that isn't in the ep. I have to be honest though - I've yet to read a novelisation of any filmed media that has held a candle to the show it was derived from. The idea of a book to me is to add nuances that might not have been apparent in the show, however, 'Rising' was bland beyond belief - a shame really cos there were plenty of places had the book been written after the final edit, where stuff could have been added.

Thanks knocknashee. I will start out with Reliquary.

schtroumph_c
May 11th, 2006, 03:11 AM
Soooo, did somebody read it?
Is it good with good characterisation or a Tower/Sanctuary/Mary Sue book?

EDIT: Two persons did on Livejournal:

http://community.livejournal.com/mckay_sheppard/733040.html (http://community.livejournal.com/mckay_sheppard/733040.html?style=mine)

Their opinions is toward the end of the page.

Elite Anubis Guard
May 11th, 2006, 07:22 AM
I got this yesterday and began reading it. Its set just after The Eye, its pretty good so far, drawing me in.

sueKay
May 11th, 2006, 07:23 AM
I've bought this book now, and will read and review it after my finals :)

Linzi
May 11th, 2006, 09:40 AM
I read it last week. I absolutely loved it, and have read it cover to cover twice more since then! Great characterisations, excellent story. I rate it slightly higher than Reliquary, which I also loved.
Well worth the read, IMO.

Elite Anubis Guard
May 16th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Im 2 thirds through and loving it. This way better than Sonnys alst one, City of the Gods, and this is also a lot more enjoyable than the last 2 SGA novels. What is it with Fandemonium and their third novels?

Elite Anubis Guard
May 24th, 2006, 01:48 AM
I'm just about done. I love the epic feel to the novel.

Elinor
May 25th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Yep...I enjoyed this as much as 'Reliquary'.

It's been a good start for the Atlantis novels. I've found them more enjoyable than other novels based on TV shows.

Looking forward to 'Halcyon'.

:)

Elite Anubis Guard
May 25th, 2006, 10:50 PM
I've finished it. Best out of the three. Those 2 galls really overdid themselves. Sonny made up for City of the Gods. It was mainly McKay and Sheppard focused though, but that doesn't stop the novel being awesome. Characterisations were fantastic. The epic, Lord of the Rings feel was brilliant.

Naonak
July 10th, 2006, 10:31 AM
It was mainly McKay and Sheppard focused though, but that doesn't stop the novel being awesome.

Nothing wrong with that.

Finally got my hands on a copy last week, and finished it last night. I thought it was very good - story, characterisation, dialogue. Some of the humour was very good, too.

I thought the cover was OK, although it could have done without the yellow outlines around people, and maybe a more interesting picture of the team - in mission uniforms, like the SG-1 covers.

My only real problem was a weird little contradiction - when the Wraith first turn up, the EM fields don't affect Teyla's ability to sense them, but at the end they need to go outside them for her to sense if they're gone.
Anyway, that's a minor niggle.

8/10

mckaychick
July 19th, 2006, 01:30 PM
So far to me the book is good!

sonny1
July 30th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Karen Miller and I popped in over at James Swallow's thread. Someone mentioned the idea of starting a Stargate author's thread. I don't come by too often as I'm working on a thesis and I'm not clued up enough with these things to know how to start a thread, but if someone does start one, I'll ask Beth and Sabine to drop by between writing, cladding, and fixing aircraft. Between all of us, we may get some sort of ongoing dialogue going.

Cheers

Sonny

KarenMiller
July 30th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Sounds like a plan ...

Elite Anubis Guard
July 30th, 2006, 11:17 PM
I've asked David(I think it was David) to start a thread but so far he hasn't. Best I can do is make one and ask one of the mods to sticky it.

KarenMiller
July 31st, 2006, 02:37 AM
No, it's done, and many thanks to you!

sonny1
August 5th, 2006, 06:16 PM
For anyone who visits this thread, we've more or less taken the party over to the the 'ask the author's' sticky. I generally pop in every couple of days, so if you have any questions, drop on by. We would only ask that you take the time to skim prior answers on that thread, as both Beth and I are currently working on other SG novels and we really only have the time to answer new questions.

cheers!