X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG1 - The Movie Reporter: Kurt Russell: Who makes a better Jack O'Neill

From The Movie Reporter:

http://www.iesb.net/printinterviews/042806.php

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

Date: April 28, 2006

Source: IESB
    Author: Stephanie Sanchez

Kurt Russell Says There is No More Trouble in Little China

Kurt Russell has presence. He has that Hollywood mystique without the huge ego. He is a favorite of mine. Yes I even enjoyed Tango and Cash and all it's 1980's self flattering glory.

We had the chance to talk to Russell during his promotion of his latest film Poseidon.

**snippage**

Another one of my favorite Kurt Russell films is Stargate. And it has turned into one of the longest running series on television with Richard Dean Anderson playing Russell's original part, Jack O'Neill.

So who makes a better Jack O'Neill? He said jokingly, "well I created him didn't I?" But, he has never actually seen an episode of the TV series so he couldn't say.

iesb.net ? 2005

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Neat!

Originally posted by morjana
    So who makes a better Jack O'Neill? He said jokingly, "well I created him didn't I?" But, he has never actually seen an episode of the TV series so he couldn't say.
    I really do find that quite amazing! Never!? Ever? Seen an episode?
    It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

Interesting. I haven't seen the movie since I started watching the show, I wonder how it would play for me now. While I think Spader/Shanks' Daniel would still be easy to watch, it would probably be really difficult to imagine that Russell's character is *really* Jack O'Neill after all these years with RDA in the role.

Comment

Originally posted by indaeo
        Interesting. I haven't seen the movie since I started watching the show, I wonder how it would play for me now. While I think Spader/Shanks' Daniel would still be easy to watch, it would probably be really difficult to imagine that Russell's character is *really* Jack O'Neill after all these years with RDA in the role.
        Yeah, Kurt Russel's O'Neill is completely different character from the one RDA created.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz!
          Neat!

I really do find that quite amazing! Never!? Ever? Seen an episode?
          Not really. Most people I know don't watch Stargate. Now, American Idol, Survivor, they know by heart. Stargate is a 'geek' show, face it

Comment

I don't think it's strange that Kurt Russell hasn't seen an episode. Nor do I think it's strange that with all the movies James Spader has done, he refuses to watch them.

Now if I remember correctly, Kurt Russell once visited Bridge during the first/second season. And didn't RDA take him on a tour?

Comment

i Believe all the actors on the show surpass the ones in the original minus maybe Jaye Davidson he was excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
                Yeah, Kurt Russel's O'Neill is completely different character from the one RDA created.
                Boy is that putting it mildly. RDA will always be the only O'Neill to me.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
                  This couldn't be said any better. Kurt Russell may be a fine actor but only Richard Dean Anderson can play our beloved General Jack O'Niell (with 2 L's!)
                  "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                  Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                  ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by morjana
                    He may have never watched an episode of Stargate SG-1 but he has visited the set....

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
                      I don't think it's strange that Kurt Russell hasn't seen an episode. Nor do I think it's strange that with all the movies James Spader has done, he refuses to watch them.

Now if I remember correctly, Kurt Russell once visited Bridge during the first/second season. And didn't RDA take him on a tour?
                      Actually, it's not at all strange. I met one actor years ago when he worked in Toronto (and he has since guested on Stargate). He didn't even own a TV.

But no one can argue the fact that Kurt Russell is the original Jack O'Neill. Just the facts As James Spader is the original Daniel.

Comment

I'm not really surprised he hasn't seen Staragte SG-1. They are two very different shows.

In my opinion I like BOTH actors as Colonel Jack O'Neil(l). It is rather unfair to compare them since the actors were playing essentially 'different' men. In the film Kurt's Jack had just lost his son: he was sucidial and ready to take everyone with him until Daniel and Saarka (sp?) gave him reason to live again. By the time we reach the series RDA's Jack has had time to recover and is no longer sucidial, instead the fun aspect of his character is allowed to breathe, still tortured but on the road to healing.

So I love both of them as Jack though I do perfer RDA mainly since we have had him longer in the role.

Personally I perfer James Spader's Daniel - at least to later season Michael Shanks Daniel. *Ducks as enraged fans gather missiles*
                        The man who opened the way.

The man who led the way.

"It will take you a million light years from home. But will it bring you back?" Stargate the movie

A mystery ... a secret ... a threshold ... to the future. Stargte the movie

The perfect SG-1 team: Colonel Jack, Daniel, Major Ferretti and Jonas

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
                          From The Movie Reporter:

So who makes a better Jack O'Neill? [Kurt Russell] said jokingly, "well I created him didn't I?" But, he has never actually seen an episode of the TV series so he couldn't say.

We, the fans, can find it weird that Kurt Russell has never seen SG-1 when this interview occured, but not totally surprising.
                          After all, acting is their job. Only their job. It doesn't mean they are fans!

Comment

Originally posted by indaeo View Post
                            Agreed. Spade and Shanks played/play the role pretty similar, even looking somewhat alike. Russell's O'Neill was vastly inferior in my eyes to RDA's. Give me RDA's Jack any day. I remember RDA giving an interview many years ago saying his O'Neill was very different to Russell's. Russell was so intense and serious, and RDA opted to have a sort of irreverence and sense of humour in his version. Suffice it to say I think RDA got it right!
                            sigpic

Comment

That just means you liked him after he got over the whole death of his son thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X