This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best acting chops from a sci fi actor

I am often struck by the difference between a character I like and an actor that I admire. For example, Alan Alda was once voted one of the top character actors in television. But I always felt he was likable, but did not have great range. An example of an actor with incredible range would be Dustin Hoffman who has played an autistic genius (Rainman), a woman (Tootsie), a drug addict (Midnight Cowboy) and a regular guy - father (Kramer Vs Kramer).

Chops is a term often applied to music. A player with great chops is someone who can do surprising things with their instrument.

So, again, limiting the discussion to Sci-Fi, what actor do you thing has the most amazing acting chops? For my part, Michael Shanks various portrayals in Lifeboat earn him at least a nomination. But I'm not sure he's the best. I would also put Patrick Stewart up for a nomination. The scene I'm thinking of is when he found out his young nephew had died in a fire. Totally amazing chops. You would have to have a heart of iron to not be zinged by his performance.

Please list an example if you can so others can enjoy the memory.

Erm i think i get what your saying if i am understanding wrong i'm sorry lol having a slow day

Gillian Anderson is brill in many differnt roles in X files (as scully Strong independant FBI agent), Mighty Celt (A single parnet struggling to bring up her child and a bit of a skank), Bleak House (her protrail of Lady dedlock was amazing), Playing by heart (A more romantic comedy sorta feel and a more hair down free spirit) and in a cock and bull story (her charecter had more of a comedy angle to it, was great to see her in this role)
    One thing i do see with GA is her amazing ability in periodic dramas her performance in The House of Mirth was amazing.
    Also on stage as a mental patient in The sweetest swing in baseball she played the charecter so well and the role was so different from anything i've seen her in before.

Also Torri Higginson is another actress who plays many differnt charecters so brilliantly quite a few of her films are action driven (tekwar, memory run, irish eyes, Airborne, Family of cops 3) but then to see her in Family pictures as a swwet and inocent is really differnt to see and in the english patient although she isn't in it long her charecter is still strong and noticable and in Bloss the role she plays is so diifernt from others but the charecter is so well played.

XX

Comment

Originally posted by St@rbuck
      Erm i think i get what your saying if i am understanding wrong i'm sorry lol having a slow day
      In the last survey about emotional acting style, I was emphasizing connection.

"Chops" means unexpected finesse, technical proficiency and very impressive range of skills.

For example, Picard is usually a bit stiff and formal. To have Stewart show such tenderness and deep feeling when his nephew died surprised and impressed me. It was amazing. Ivanovoff's reaction to the death of Marcus in B5 is another example of such a "wow" scene.

So, here I'm not talking about creating a likable character. It's more like blowing your mind with acting skill that wows you in an unexpected manner. It's NOT subtle.......

Hope that's clear.

Comment

Yep is thanks

Comment

Working...
        X