PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this folder?

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
April 22nd, 2006, 02:32 AM
What do you think of this folder?

The Signal
April 22nd, 2006, 03:04 AM
All the tournys in one place! How can you not love that!

iLemon
April 22nd, 2006, 03:45 AM
great folder :) gets rid of all the spam in Gen Disc :)

Willow'sCat
April 22nd, 2006, 04:43 AM
What do you think of this folder?When did this happen? :S

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
April 22nd, 2006, 04:46 AM
When did this happen? :S
when did what happen?

Willow'sCat
April 22nd, 2006, 05:40 AM
when did what happen?This Forum section... what else? :cool: *Fun 'n' Games* wasn't here before was it? :S

Or are you asking what "we" think of this folder (with a poll) you created to up your post count? :rolleyes:

TheWarrior
April 22nd, 2006, 05:53 AM
This Forum section... what else? :cool: *Fun 'n' Games* wasn't here before was it? :S

Or are you asking what "we" think of this folder (with a poll) you created to up your post count? :rolleyes:
This new forum section appeared last night I belive - wasn't there when I logged off at 10ish UK Time and was here when I came back online this morning at 11 UK Time.

Love the new section - at least all the tournaments are in one section for us to find.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
April 22nd, 2006, 06:01 AM
This Forum section... what else? :cool: *Fun 'n' Games* wasn't here before was it? :S

Or are you asking what "we" think of this folder (with a poll) you created to up your post count? :rolleyes: yes i created this to up my post count by 1 :rolleyes:
This new folder is new and members are allowed to make polls in it so i thought i would give it a try

Willow'sCat
April 22nd, 2006, 06:31 AM
yes i created this to up my post count by 1 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Well have fun.

Jumper One
April 22nd, 2006, 06:39 AM
I like it, except that I have to scroll down to get to it. :mckay:

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
April 22nd, 2006, 06:55 AM
so can we make polls in this folder or not http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=5190907&postcount=18417

before i went to sleep tame said she wasn't sure if we could or not
we can, i did

ShadowMaat
April 22nd, 2006, 06:58 AM
No option for mine: It's just an excuse for folks to drive up their post count but at least all this crap is out of the Gen Disc folder, now. :P

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
April 22nd, 2006, 07:00 AM
No option for mine: It's just an excuse for folks to drive up their post count but at least all this crap is out of the Gen Disc folder, now. :P
The second one will apply to you

The Signal
April 22nd, 2006, 07:07 AM
I agree that a lot of people do it for the post count *points at the "Greatest character elimination game*, but I do em for the banter between posters, death threats galore in mine :P (wow, I just used the word "galore"!)

ShadowMaat
April 22nd, 2006, 07:13 AM
I agree that a lot of people do it for the post count *points at the "Greatest character elimination game*, but I do em for the banter between posters, death threats galore in mine :P (wow, I just used the word "galore"!)
If that were true, there'd be nothing to stop you from creating it in OT, where you can have banter and threats up the wazoo and not have to worry about post count at all. :P

Mostly, I still think it's spam. But I am also deeply, INSANELY grateful to the mods & Darren for creating this folder so that all the fluffy spam can go in one place and the folks who actually want to by gods DISCUSS the show in the General DISCUSSION section can do so without having to hunt around to find a real thread.

Pharaoh Atem
April 22nd, 2006, 07:41 AM
sad thing is there isn't alot of actually discussion going on in GSD after the mods ripped out the games.

which just proves the point of the people who where fighting to get a game folder

ShadowMaat
April 22nd, 2006, 07:52 AM
sad thing is there isn't alot of actually discussion going on in GSD after the mods ripped out the games.
I could comment about it being indicative of the mentality of "modern" fans that they're more interested in fluff than substance, but I'll just say that hopefully folks will begin talking now that they know their conversations won't get buried before anyone has a chance to see them. :P

Anubis69
April 22nd, 2006, 08:24 AM
death threats galore in mine :P
Hey, death threats is exaggerating a bit! I can only speak for myself but i only ever threatened people with "the verbal beating of a lifetime". :D (Serves them right though. Forever in a Day and the Changeling voted out before Upgrades in a best ep tourney? :S)

DEM
April 22nd, 2006, 09:33 AM
Well, whatever, I like the tourneys I'm involved in for the tourneys themselves. Post count never even occurred to me until I got sucked into that wacky character elimination game.

Anyway, creating this sub-folder was great idea, I say.

Missster.Freeman
April 22nd, 2006, 09:43 AM
It's about time, although, I wouldn't say it's the best folder ever. Fair enough, I'm also guilty by taking part in these tourneys, but I can see it's open for abuse by those just wanting to get a custom avatar etc...

This folder should have been setup so that post counts DON'T increase, just as in the "Off-Topic" folder. Hopefully that's something the site admins can change.

Woops, my post count has increased +1. My bad. ;)

The Signal
April 22nd, 2006, 09:46 AM
Hey, death threats is exaggerating a bit! I can only speak for myself but i only ever threatened people with "the verbal beating of a lifetime". :D (Serves them right though. Forever in a Day and the Changeling voted out before Upgrades in a best ep tourney? :S)
Your right, beating of a lifetime well deserved, but Im talking about the 3 zats for anyone caught voting for meridian :P

ShadowMaat
April 22nd, 2006, 09:51 AM
This folder should have been setup so that post counts DON'T increase, just as in the "Off-Topic" folder. Hopefully that's something the site admins can change.
Ahh, but if 90% of your posts are in the gaming threads, making them suddenly OT will drastically reduce your count and cause fans across the board to scream bloody murder. It's a compromise to keep both sides from *****ing at the mods. :P

The Signal
April 22nd, 2006, 09:58 AM
Still reckon they should make it so that it doesnt count, same with the RPG one, its not contributing to the boards so why get something for it?

LoneStar1836
April 22nd, 2006, 09:59 AM
‘Bout time we got our own folder. :D (Though I wouldn’t say it’s the greatest folder ever. :P)

If people want to call it spam, well be my guest. ;) No more spammy than some of the other stuff that gets counted for “discussion” which is pretty much why I’ve retreated to these threads. People are much more friendlier. Stargate does get discussed. Maybe not in as much detail, but opinions are shared without fear of getting clubbed in the knees by those who disagree. About the worst thing you face is bribery and the occasional risk of getting zatted. :D

If it weren’t for the different tourney threads, I wouldn’t even hardly bother coming to GW anymore. Most of the more “serious” discussion I participate in anyway is over in the BSG folder and not the Stargate ones….and right now BSG is on break…..

If “fun” (and yeah not everyone’s definition of fun is the same, especially some people’s….) is what we are supposed to be having on GW, well the various tourney threads I’ve participated in have been fun and generally stress-free. :)

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
April 22nd, 2006, 10:01 AM
Still reckon they should make it so that it doesnt count, same with the RPG one, its not contributing to the boards so why get something for it?
it's only a number next to your name

The Signal
April 22nd, 2006, 10:08 AM
it's only a number next to your name
and a custom avatar

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
April 22nd, 2006, 10:12 AM
and a custom avatar
your absoultly right, we need to stop newbies geting custom avs!

Missster.Freeman
April 22nd, 2006, 10:26 AM
Ahh, but if 90% of your posts are in the gaming threads, making them suddenly OT will drastically reduce your count and cause fans across the board to scream bloody murder. It's a compromise to keep both sides from *****ing at the mods. :P
Uh oh *Goes to check post archive* :S

LOL :D I'd love to sit back and watch the chaos that would ensue, even if it meant a drop in my post count. :P

Maybe there's a way to make this folder OT without reducing post counts?

dipsofjazz
April 22nd, 2006, 10:38 AM
I think it’s a good idea having all the tournaments in one folder. Now I won’t lose them!

The only game I feel is ‘spammy’ is the character elimination game, as it seems to be a free-for-all. All the other tournaments are well organized and each person can only vote once per round. There is also some discussion as to why people vote they way they do. Sure, it may not be an in depth discussion, but I still enjoy reading why someone likes/dislikes an episode/character when I may have the opposite viewpoint.

Why does it matter if the tournament players’ posts go up by one per round? If it’s that important to some people, why not let them have it. At least it stops them from spamming other threads with one word posts.
My post count isn’t important to me, but I know that it is to some folk here. If it adds to their fun and enjoyment of playing on the forum, then why not let them gain the odd extra to their post count?

LoneStar1836
April 22nd, 2006, 10:52 AM
The only game I feel is ‘spammy’ is the character elimination game, as it seems to be a free-for-all.Yeah, that one I do consider to be spam.

All the other tournaments are well organized and each person can only vote once per round. There is also some discussion as to why people vote they way they do. Sure, it may not be an in depth discussion, but I still enjoy reading why someone likes/dislikes an episode/character when I may have the opposite viewpoint.Agreed. That’s what makes the tournaments interesting.

The Signal
April 22nd, 2006, 11:02 AM
your absoultly right, we need to stop newbies geting custom avs!
well its something else for the mods to check all of the time, and its supposed to be a reward for people who have been around for a long time and done a lot, a reward for keeping the community going, if they wanted every newbie to get it without trying, they would not bother making it for 2000+

Im with dipsofjazz, whats 1 post a day, or even 2 or 3, nothing, and its a little fun way to get to know other people on, I got to know some great people through tournements, and 90% of the people on them, make comments on things as they go, so they arent just going for post count, but the most recent ones (greatest character one for instance) is just post and go, come back two minutes later, post and go, it just seems pointless:S

ReganX
April 22nd, 2006, 11:07 AM
I think that having the game threads in one place is a good idea.

Anubis69
April 22nd, 2006, 03:07 PM
But if you slap people down for the tourney/game threads then surely you've got to shoot down the people in Characters/Relationships forums who get around 4000 posts in a month by posting pics of one character and one word posts. Double edged sword and all that...

Does anyone else feel guilty about posting in here??

The Signal
April 22nd, 2006, 03:18 PM
But if you slap people down for the tourney/game threads then surely you've got to shoot down the people in Characters/Relationships forums who get around 4000 posts in a month by posting pics of one character and one word posts. Double edged sword and all that...
Thank god someone finally said it! *greens Anubis69*

ShadowMaat
April 22nd, 2006, 06:53 PM
Actually, I wouldn't have a problem with that, either, since the thunk/ship threads are another area massively abused. ;)

L-JADE
April 23rd, 2006, 02:05 AM
I think it's a good folder, but definitely not great or the best ever, so I choose : It's does not matter to me, because it really doesn't, wherever the tourneys are, only if it's interesting then I'll join.

There's a lot of Tourneys in GW, some are good, some are weird but obviously some posters find the use for them, so they posted and they got to upping their post-count, so what ?? if a tourney is lame, people won't vote, the thread would die and get pushed back same as other thread. If it's a good tourney, we vote, we strategize, we defend our vote, etc but still once the tourney ends, the thread would get pushed back.

Why do people consider this as SPAM ? :rolleyes: IMO, creating a tourney require more thoughts than just creating a thread. All the tourneys I've joined so far are great places to talk about Stargate past or current episodes/characters and posters usually just vote once a day until the next tally, so it's really NOT a place to gain lots of post counts.

The tourneys are no more guilty than those thunking/shipping threads or those episode-discussion threads. As long as we're talking/discuss or even fighting about Stargate than we're ON-TOPIC and GW rules said : being on-topic deserve post-count-point.

Kliggins
April 23rd, 2006, 12:26 PM
I think creating the folder was a good idea. Keeps everything together and easier to find, which I certainly appreciate. :D

Spam is one of those issues that will never be agreed on, never; so unless you feel like beating a dead horse and we know there are some that do, you may as well drop the subject.

Exiled Master
April 23rd, 2006, 10:50 PM
Now we need a gaming/anime folder and a Star Wars subfolder.

scifi_girl
April 24th, 2006, 03:19 AM
i think its a great folder