|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

Elwe Singollo
July 29th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Íf you look at the top dvd sellers alot, you can see alot of scifi shows are in the top list, i guess sci fi isn't so dead, well maybe yes since with all this reality, but oh well :(

Mio
July 29th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Reality TV must die. Now. <g>

#6? Hmm, I've been meaning to order it.....

Elwe Singollo
July 29th, 2004, 01:54 PM
I don't think all reality tv is bad, well not bad to the tv executives that is, haha... You can't call Fear Factor a reality really, i call it a gameshow :) Hmm, i mean reality shows are good if they are doing fine for small networks such as UPN, but i just don't want reality tv to be the main priority.

keshou
July 29th, 2004, 02:00 PM
The Passion of the Christ is listed in the Scifi category??

David
July 29th, 2004, 02:33 PM
I'm glad we're so high on that list. Making an impact in the DVD markets still :)

Ugly Pig
July 29th, 2004, 02:37 PM
The Passion of the Christ is listed in the Scifi category??
Return of the King doesn't really belong there, either.

David
July 29th, 2004, 02:42 PM
They need to do a better job of distinguishing Fiction from Science Fiction, IMO. And Drama from Science Fiction, too...

DownFallAngel
July 29th, 2004, 03:31 PM
You guys...its 10 ten dvd sales of the week. Not nessecarily SciFi......

morjana
July 29th, 2004, 03:50 PM

No, it actually says on the SciFi Wire site:

Top Ten SF DVD Sales

and it's from: Source: Amazon.com, top-selling genre DVDs, 7/26/04

Morjana

keshou
July 29th, 2004, 04:00 PM
No...as Morjana said it's on scifi wire and is the top ten SF DVD sales. If you look at the top overall DVD sales on Amazon it includes movies like "Kill Bill", etc.

BTW, when you go to the "genre" listings on Amazon.com (the source for the list according to scifi wire) I don't see "Passion of the Christ" included in the Science Fiction and Fantasy genre category. It is in the drama genre category.

It just caught my eye because it seemed like a strange classification.

DownFallAngel
July 29th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Just because its on a SF site, doesn't mean it has to be SciFi. They probably named it Top 10 SF DVD Sales, because 7/10 of those DVDs are SF......

Elwe Singollo
July 29th, 2004, 04:07 PM
No...as Morjana said it's on scifi wire and is the top ten SF DVD sales. If you look at the top overall DVD sales on Amazon it includes movies like "Kill Bill", etc.

BTW, when you go to the "genre" listings on Amazon.com (the source for the list according to scifi wire) I don't see "Passion of the Christ" included in the Science Fiction and Fantasy genre category. It is in the drama genre category.

It just caught my eye because it seemed like a strange classification.I know that, but i still consider dvd's that are on the top 20-30 top sellers, haha...

David85
July 29th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Well the Jesus movie is fiction so it's half right...

This bothers me..
Aqua Teen Hunger Force, volume 2

How is a box of fry's, a red blob and a milkshake Sci-Fi?

Elwe Singollo
July 29th, 2004, 11:27 PM
fantasy? haha... to come people, Passions of the Christ isn't fiction at all, i'm half and half on that subject.

Anthro Girl
July 30th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Return of the King doesn't really belong there, either.
Unless they mean SciFi/Fantasy, which a lot of marketing-types confuse. ;) In either case, The Passion of the Christ does not belong in that list for oh so many reasons. It is #1 in the Drama category, which I would consider more appropriate.

My snobby husband :) likes to tell me that "scifi" means television and "science fiction" means books. Hmmpf. I'm not the one who called my cell phone in a panic today crying "I forgot the GDO!!! I can't open the Iris!!" :D :D :D

VixyOwl (~~Ani)
July 30th, 2004, 09:04 AM
AnthroGirl said:
"My snobby husband likes to tell me that "scifi" means television and "science fiction" means books."

Really? I've never heard that. But I'm fascinated by the perceived need to rename subgenres by medium. Where/when did this distinction develop?

[edited to add: I am such a geek. :rolleyes: ]

Anthro Girl
July 30th, 2004, 09:38 AM
AnthroGirl said:
"My snobby husband likes to tell me that "scifi" means television and "science fiction" means books."

Really? I've never heard that. But I'm fascinated by the perceived need to rename subgenres by medium. Where/when did this distinction develop?

In his dreams... ;)

He grew up reading science fiction and I grew up watching it (I read other genres). He's just being a weenie and trying to justify the collection of old, crumbling paperbacks that is taking over the living room. :rolleyes:

Elwe Singollo
July 30th, 2004, 09:48 AM
I think they merge the idea of scifi/fantasy, because sometimes (or most of the time) both genres have both elements.

Anthro Girl
July 30th, 2004, 09:55 AM
I think they merge the idea of scifi/fantasy, because sometimes (or most of the time) both genres have both elements.
LMJ! I thought you were going to school! :)

I consider "fantasy" to be anything fantastical or not of this world (but not science fiction, i.e., Middle Earth). I notice some people interpret it to mean faeries, trolls, goblins, etc. Don't know where that came from. I've also seen some pretty heated debates about the meaning of scifi.

In any case, I think the Amazon list is kind of whacked, but I sort of expect that from Amazon. ;)