This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Team Relations Thread

If this already exists (I did a search, but I didn't see anything) please merge.

First, the purpose for the thread, and then I may start a new post to put my thoughts about it.

Okay, when you have a group of people who spend a lot of time together they tend to get close. But, because they're all different, they all relate to each other differently. And, because of each of our ideas and beliefs and interpretations, we see the interactions in a different way. I like to think the one constant is they all care about each other deeply. But, who's "best friends", pals, romantically interested (because obviously some people feel that way)? How do you see the individual relationships between the members of the team? This of course included past and current members.

Also, since ship will come up, this isn't a place to get bogged down in a ship debate. I mean, a J/S shipper will likely say that they see the relationship between Jack and Sam as romantic. I of course don't see it like that, and I might give my own interpretation of their relationship. But, I'll save why I think ship is bad for the anti thread or the ship discussion thread. This isn't about why two characters shouldn't be joined or trying to convince anyone that they're wrong. It's about what makes Sam and Teal'c a unique relationship unique from a Sam and Mitchell or Sam and Jack, or Jack and Daniel, or Jack and Sam, or Daniel and Teal'c or Daniel and Mitchell, or Sam and Jonas, or Jonas and Jack, or whatever.

eta: The relationships among the Atlantis characters are also on topic here. I didn't put them in because I don't watch the show, so it didn't occur to me. But, you Atlantis fans feel free to post about them as well.

So, hopefully that's clear and it's not too restrictive.
    Last edited by Dani347; 17 April 2006, 04:08 PM.
    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Okay, here's the post where I actually get down to it. (Although I just realized if you take each character and analyse their relation to each character, that could make some pretty long posts. Oh well)

Lets start with my favorite.

Jack and Daniel: To me, they're best friends, and the fact that they're so different and even that they squabble a lot doesn't diminish it. I've always seen them as having a big brother/little brother thing. They can get on each other's nerves, they can fight, they can say horrible things to each other, but that's because they understand each other so well. Sometimes it's calculated (Jack using his knowledge of their friendship to pretend it wasn't as strong in Shades of Gray) sometimes it's born of just an impetuous anger (Menace). But, I think the brother thing would be shown in the whole "we can pick on each other, but don't let anyone else." I don't have any examples, but that's how I see it. And, of course, Sam and Teal'c (and now Mitchell) would be exempt from this rule. They also are more likely to let the other see them with their guard down. Need and Abyss could have been powerful in their own way if Jack and Daniel had had their most intense scenes with someone else on the team, but I don't think it would have been intense in just that way (each one letting all their barriers down) except with each other. Also, I don't think Daniel would have admitted fear in Origin to anyone else.

Eh, you know what? If this thread catches on, I'll just post about different pairings in different posts, rather than trying to clump them all into one. Feel free to start with any two characters, if you want. I actually thought of this thread because of the Sam/Teal'c ship thread, and I thought instead of just a Sam/Teal'c friendship thread, I could combine the whole team and see how people view them all in one thread.

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

Is this just SG-1 or is SGA invited as well?
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Hmm, I suppose SGA should also be invited. I just didn't put them in because I don't watch the show so I don't know the characters. So, I won't be able to participate on that end, but sure. SGA, too. I'll edit the first post to put them in.

Comment

well, the one of the relationships that i love on the show is the one between sam and teal'c, but i feel that they don't explore it nearly as much or as well as they could.

i think that amanda tapping and chris judge just have this brilliant dynamic between them, and also they, in the beginning of the show, were the newbies, so they may have bonded initially over that. but we didn't get to see it, which i regret.

i see their relationship in a similar way to how dani347 see's jack and daniels one. as a big brother/little sister type of relationship in this case. its like siblings who have grown up, become closer than they were in childhood, and now get on as friends would, without the petty childhood arguments.

i see teal'c as being very respectful and admiring of sam, yet still very protective. and i see sam as looking up to teal'c, and seeking him out when in need of comfort (sometimes he seeks her out too), but i also think that they view each other as equals in a way. which is remarkable, considering that in his culture sam would never hold the place that she does, and would not be respected enough to have gained that place in the first place. sam would view teal'cs culture as somewhat primitive in regards to how they treat women, and would be appalled by it. yet they never look at each other, individually like this.

this is getting a bit long, so i'll leave my views on the other team dynamics for the next post, and i'll proabably tie them all together for the full team dynamic in another one.

Comment

sam and daniel. again, i see these two as having an almost sibling relationship, but also one of respect and familiarity through their common love of science and knowledge in general. its almost like two people who have been friends since childhood and developed a sibling-like closeness during high school. i love that i can see them as friends without the risk of romantic entanglement. (and the same goes for sam/teal'c). i like the removal of the when harry met sally effect.

and yes, i am an s/j shipper, but not by choice. i tend to prefer it when two characters aren't shipped in a show, because that removes the fear of the moonlighting effect. (which i think they have avoided in sg, but i think others might disagree).

i also like that we occasionally see sam and daniel disagree, and have little arguments (which has only happened once i think with sam and teal'c, but teal'c doesn't really argue with any of sg-1). the first thing that comes to mind is "the other side". daniel rarely allows himself to see the military side of sam so prominantly, so when she takes a more military point of view, they are bound to disagree. its a great dynamic, because even though they are very different in this regard, they are so similar in others.

its a relationship that appears clear most times, but really its a little more complicated than most give it credit for. they have a sibling like relationship, but there is no consistancy in terms of who takes on the role of elder sibling as there is with every other relationship like this. anyway, i've rambled enough on this one for now.

next!

Comment

daniel and teal'c. very complex. i really would have expected more tension, distrust and animosity (from daniel) early on in the show here, and there was some, which carries on to a certain degree in later seasons too. it takes a long time for daniel to completely trust teal'c, and to forgive and forget his role in his wife's fate. and i think that that was still there even up until season 5 (although to a very small degree).

but i think that they have a fairly easy friendship now. i don't think that they will ever really understand one another, but that isn't always required for great friendships, and i think they understand each other better than daniel and jack do.

Comment

daniel and jack. i do think that they are best friends. but i also feel that its a very mismatched friendship. they are very different people, with very different views, but they have just enough in common to stay friends. and it makes them better friends. they strengthen each other by their differences, although they are both too stubborn to ever change how they see things. i think that primarily this is because their own experiences are so important, profound and had so much impact on them, that they have shaped their personalities and opinions so strongly that it would be impossible for them to change so much. but also, i think that they respect each other enough at this point, to not want to change each other.

they still get frustrated with each other, which is inevitable considering how different they are. and they still find annoyance sometimes with each other, and they never would have been friends in high school, or at all were it not for the stargate project, but they have enough shared experience and friends and aquantances to have formed a bond. and as unlikely as they are to be friends, this is what makes them as close as they are. it was either become best friends, or not be friends at all, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                  well, the one of the relationships that i love on the show is the one between sam and teal'c, but i feel that they don't explore it nearly as much or as well as they could.

i think that amanda tapping and chris judge just have this brilliant dynamic between them, and also they, in the beginning of the show, were the newbies, so they may have bonded initially over that. but we didn't get to see it, which i regret.
                  Oh yes, the missed potential of Sam and Teal'c. You're right, AT and CJ have great chemistry. We rarely get to see it at its fullest because they hardly have any one on one scenes. I think that's why I liked Space Race. It was fun to see Sam catch on to Teal'c just wanting to get out of going with Jack and Daniel. I can imagine them having just a much more light hearted camaderie than he has with Daniel or even Jack.

Also, at the beginning, there were some very serious aspects of Teal'c's interaction with Daniel and Jack. Sha're (I wish we could have seen more of that, but I'll save that for when I talk about Daniel and Teal'c) and Jack was the guy who finally gave Teal'c hope that someone could actually manage to defeat the Goa'uld. Of course he quickly got comfortable with them, but I think after the initial surprise at a woman being a soldier, he would probably have an easier time to just be casual with her.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                    daniel and teal'c. very complex. i really would have expected more tension, distrust and animosity (from daniel) early on in the show here, and there was some, which carries on to a certain degree in later seasons too. it takes a long time for daniel to completely trust teal'c, and to forgive and forget his role in his wife's fate. and i think that that was still there even up until season 5 (although to a very small degree).

but i think that they have a fairly easy friendship now. i don't think that they will ever really understand one another, but that isn't always required for great friendships, and i think they understand each other better than daniel and jack do.

I have always been disappointed that there wasn't more animosity. Because it would have been realistic. I see Jack and Daniel as just kind of clicking (sort of the way I would imagine Sam and Teal'c would, if they had shown it) despite differences. But, Daniel and Teal'c's friendship would be a really hard road, and deep because of that. I'm guessing Teal'c would work hard to gain Daniel's forgiveness, and Daniel would warm up to Teal'c because of his integrity and his persistance in what I would assume would be Daniel's own animosity in the beginning.

Plus, I think they actually have a lot in common. Teal'c is a fighter but he's also a seeker of knowledge. Teal'c would be interested in Earth culture and Daniel would probably be willing to spend a lot of time discussing all the intricacies, although Jack would be better for the pop culture aspect. And, I think Daniel would be the only one interested in just listening to Teal'c explain about Chulak just for the sake of it. I could imagine them having a lot of deep discussions. Teal'c must have taught Daniel Goa'uld, and Daniel probably taught Teal'c about different aspects of ancient culture.

I think Teal'c also has set himself up as a protector of sorts for Daniel, especially early on. And, I think it was more than any feelings of guilt.

When I picture Daniel on base with the team, I sort of see Jack coming into his office trying to get on his nerves, and Daniel finally giving one of his cutting remarks that he's good at, and friendly skirmishes going on. I had a coworker that I used to argue with all the time, but it was always in good fun. I liked the battles, and that's how I see them. And, Daniel and Sam might get together to work on their projects, but probably wouldn't talk that much while doing it. Not because of any awkwardness, but they could just work silently together and be comfortable doing it. But, I think Daniel and Teal'c would probably have more serious conversations. They'd just have a lot of serious discussions about things, which I think both would enjoy.

Comment

Sam and Daniel. I know this is what everyone says, but I see a sibling thing. But, on a more equal level from the start than the sibling thing between Jack and Daniel. The old Science Twins phrase comes to mind. They both understand what it's like to be nerds. And, even though the things that fascinate them are different, I think they both understand getting excited over things that a lot of other people wouldn't. I think if Sam and Daniel were kids, they'd probably whisper together a lot. I could picture both of them finding it amusing when Jack got frustrated with them.

One of my favorite scenes between them was Message in a Bottle (I think) when Daniel mentions the soldier having a crush on Sam. And, also I always found it nice that bit of chivalry Daniel had, where he always introduced Sam to the natives on other planets by her title.

And, there have been some really nice deep moments. Singularity, and Forever in a Day. Daniel would be able to really let himself be seen at rock bottom with Jack, where words aren't needed or even able to be spoken. But, when he needed to be comforted when he hadn't lost it completely, I think Sam would be the one to go to. To just have someone to talk to. And, Sam knew that Daniel didn't have any expectations of her as a soldier. That if she was feeling bad, she wouldn't have to put on a brave face in front of him or risk being thought of as unprofessional.

Writing this, I'm annoyed that there were no scenes between Sam and Daniel in Heroes. Aside from just being annoyed of Daniel being totally isolated from everyone anyway, I think both of them would have been more devastated (and this isn't me being a Daniel/Janet shipper) and might have sought comfort with each other. I mean, Daniel saw Janet die.

Comment

I like this thread. Although my interest in SG-1 has gone down since the last season. One thing I've noticed is that much of the other three characters come from Jack's point of view in a way over the years. There's been a lot of focus on Jack's relationships with each one individually over the years.

I've kind of felt tptb should have given more attention to the relationships among Sam, Daniel and Teal'c. I think that's what has been lacking in s9. The relationships with these three doesn't feel properly built now that Jack is no longer around all the time. Now it's Mitchell and his individual relationships with these three.

Anyway, that's all I have for now. Hopefully that made some sense. It's getting late and I must get to bed soon.

Comment

To bring an Atlantian aspect to this thread, I find that parts of the A-Team have really gelled, especially Sheppard and McKay.

I was worried that they were just going to be a copy of Jack and Daniel, just in the Pegasus Galaxy, but I was very happily surprised in the second episode with:

*shove*
                          "Did you see that?"

"Oh, believe me, that's not the first thing we tried."
                          "I shot him. ... in the leg!"

Right then, I knew that the two characters were going to be a great thing to watch. And so far, I haven't been let down. They can go from light and funny to serious in the space of a heartbeat, and it shows that they care about each other.

While they haven't quite gotten to the level of Jack and Daniel's friendship, they haven't had 8 years of time, either.
                          sigpic
                          http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Now I'm curious. Could you say a little more on how that scene convinced you that the characters weren't going to be a retread of Jack and Daniel?

Comment

Writing this, I'm annoyed that there were no scenes between Sam and Daniel in Heroes. Aside from just being annoyed of Daniel being totally isolated from everyone anyway, I think both of them would have been more devastated (and this isn't me being a Daniel/Janet shipper) and might have sought comfort with each other. I mean, Daniel saw Janet die.
                              definitely agree. we got a nice sam/jack scene, where they sort of avoided and yet still confronted the topic because (i think) neither one wanted to further upset the other, and then sam got upset about both losing janet and almost losing jack, and she sort of had an emotional overload when trying to confront everything. in a way i think that scene was more about janet than it was about sam and jack. i think it was showing how their relationship worked, that they never really confront the emotional issue at hand head on, they tap dance around it, sam will never seek comfort from him when she needs it, she tries to play down everything, and when in this case she tried to start to open up she broke down, he tried to comfort her as best he could, in the only way he knew how, because he doesn't really talk.

we got a great scene between sam and teal'c too, which really emphasises my post on their relationship, i think. she can talk to teal'c, but again doesn't really talk directly about how she feels. but she doesn't try to hide her emotions from him as one might expect. he doesn't view it as a weekness and she know this, and it really shows the respect that they have for each other.

these scenes that sam has with both jack and teal'c really highlight her friendship with janet, and how much her loss will effect her. it also shows how much jack means to her. we don't get to see how everyone was also affected by jack's injury, and the only reason we get the scene with sam is to show that jack survived. it cheapens jacks injury to me. it shows that it was only supposed to be a plot device. a misdirection of the real issue, which was the loss of janet. it may have been better to show him in the infirmary fighting for his life, with the rest of his team there waiting for news on him, while morning the loss of janet.

its sad that, while sam may have been closer to janet, daniel who witnesses her death only gets a scene with bregman. there was no reason why he couldn't even have come in during sams hug with teal'c or with jack, and even just put his hand on her back. it would have at least shown some connection and understanding between him and more than one of his team.

i am happy with the scenes that we got between sam and jack, and sam and teal'c. and i wouldn't trade those scenes, and i understand that the show was already so long that they had to make it a two parter, so maybe there wasn't time for another scene, but they could have included daniel in one of the other scenes, even at the end of it. i know that sam has had plenty of scenes with daniel, and very few with teal'c, but i also feel that daniel was affected almost as much, if not just as much as sam by janets loss.

the bregman scene was important too. of course i have only watched the episode twice. i just can't volunteer myself for that much angst. i think i've only watched meridian once.

Comment

Working...
                              X