• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ice Planet - New SCIFI(UK) Series

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds31206.html

Sci Fi signs first drama production deal

Monday, April 3 2006, 18:14 BST - by Darren Shelley
    The Sci Fi channel today revealed that it has signed its first ever production deal on a scripted drama.

The 22 x 45 minute-episode adventure series, Ice Planet, stars Top Gun & Splinter Cell's Michael Ironside and is due for broadcast in October 2006.

In the series, Ironside heads a crew of scientists and soldiers on the maiden voyage of the spaceship Magellan after a vicious alien attack on Earth.

Created by SpaceWorks Entertainment Inc. (Canada) and carrying a budget of $29 million, Ice Planet is being produced by Sci Fi and partners across the globe. It will be filmed on location in London and Canada.

"Epic in scope and inventive in story-telling, Ice Planet promises an original look and feel to sci-fi scripted drama and we're really excited to be involved," said Jon Farrar, programming director at Sci Fi UK.

"This production deal furthers Sci Fi's commitment to providing viewers with the best the genre has to offer and allows us to play an integral role in the development of what we hope will be a hit franchise in the UK and around the world."

The production deal was arranged by Jon Helmrich of IBC, representing CHUM International, which holds the exclusive worldwide distribution rights for the series.

Running alongside the series' production will be the creation of an Ice Planet video game that will be linked in character, story and action to the show and has been developed in a unique approach to gaming and TV synergy.

In related news, Sci Fi has appointed former Sky One Head of Drama, Sara Johnson, to consult as executive producer on the show. Johnson will oversee all aspects of production from a Sci Fi and UK point of view.

For $29 million dollars the best name they could come up with is Ice Planet?

Comment

Yeah, the description sounds interesting and I hope that it lives up to its promise. My two nitpicks so far is the title and the lead actor. 'Magellan' would've sounded better but then again, it's probably not about Magellan but of the Ice Planet instead, so I'm probably not making an accurate judgement. Also, I've never been a fan of Michael Ironside. I don't know what qualities they're looking for as the lead. But if I had to assume it was the reckless, tough guy leader role, I would've gone for any of these actors instead:

- Dennis Quaid (Day After Tomorrow)
      - Peter Weller (Odyssey 5)
      - Peter Coyote (The Inside, 4400)
      - Michelle Forbes

Comment

So... it's Battlestar Galactica?

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi
          So... it's Battlestar Galactica?
          That's what I thought!

So, is it Ship based (The Mallagen) or Planet Based (The Ice Planet).

&, when it says a Vicious Alien Attack on Earth, does that mean the Human Race is virtually Wiped-Out? Or are they venturing to this Ice Planet to retaliate against the Aliens? If so, Starship Troopers anyone?
          Last edited by The Prophet; 02 September 2006, 06:06 PM.

Comment

22 eps for 29Mln?

"Ok..."

Comment

intersting
              sigpic
              Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

Originally posted by Saffron
                Yeah, the description sounds interesting and I hope that it lives up to its promise. My two nitpicks so far is the title and the lead actor. 'Magellan' would've sounded better but then again, it's probably not about Magellan but of the Ice Planet instead, so I'm probably not making an accurate judgement. Also, I've never been a fan of Michael Ironside. I don't know what qualities they're looking for as the lead. But if I had to assume it was the reckless, tough guy leader role, I would've gone for any of these actors instead:

- Dennis Quaid (Day After Tomorrow)
                - Peter Weller (Odyssey 5)
                - Peter Coyote (The Inside, 4400)
                - Michelle Forbes

Well, lets not get ahead of ourselves. This is the SCIFI(UK) first original programme. so we cant expect the moon and stars. They have no experience with original programming, so its gonna be a tough road to be of high quality.

$US29M for 22 episodes isnt bad - that comes to about $US1.3M per episode. not too shabby, but not exactly on par with Stargates confirmed $US2M per episode. so only time will tell if it will pan out. im gonna give it a go if it airs in Australia.

Comment

Well it looks like SCIFI(UK) is no longer interested in this series. This was suppose to be the premiere channel too, so I dont know if this series will eventuate. The producers say it will, but of course they will say that. I am still waiting on StarHyke as well!

http://www.ice-planet.tv/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42

In a statement today , the Sci Fi channel announced that the are no longer executive producers of the show.

"We are saddened to report that the Ice Planet production over in Canada has fallen foul of numerous unforeseen difficulties, pushing the delivery date of the episodes back considerably. The agreement we had with them could not, therefore, be honoured, and we have been forced to reconsider our position. As you know, we intended to air the premiere episode in October. At the moment, it looks like the pilot won't be finished until 2007, and our plans for that time are already pretty secure.

We have withdrawn our producer status on Ice Planet, but continue to explore the possibility of acquiring the show, so SCI FI could yet become the best place to see it."

Spaceworks, the Canadian production company have responded by saying

"This will not have any bearing on the production.

The UK is still central to the Ice Planet series and that like Sci-Fi we too continue to explore the positve prospect that Sci-Fi would be the best place to see it in UK. "
                  Although dissapointed, they finished by adding that

" we are still exploring the best way of working with Sci-Fi UK."

It is hoped that a detailed response will follow soon.

Comment

I just found out that the series is a re-worked version of a 2001 pilot movie that no broadcaster ever bought. Its for sale here in Australia, I think I will go buy it and see how the premise works out. It will help to give an idea as to how the tv series will work.

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/229707

Comment

Sounds hokey. I wouldn't call it a BSG ripoff (although it could be) but I can't see what draw a series revolving around an ice planet might have.

I don't like the cast, the game tie-in is a cheesy gimmick, and any show that spouts off more about the incredible CGI than the incredible stories sends up a lotta red flags in my book.

I'd rather see the show set on this "mysterious ship of unknown provenance" than on some dirty snowball. The scope could be interesting- the idea of us being caught in the middle of an interstellar war with no idea what our role in it is- has a lot of potential, but the marketing of the show is dubious at best.

I just finished reading a book called Spin where
                      Spoiler:
                      unknown entities "spun" Earth out of synch with the rest of the universe (billions of years passed outside the veil while on Earth life proceeded at a normal pace, complete with artificial sunlight). No one knew why it had been done or who had done it- God? Aliens? Was it to save us, or was it an act of war? Or was it something else entirely?
                      Having a series where those kind of questions were involved- without anyone having any real answers (at least initially) could make for some good television, whether it's BSG-like or not.

Who are these warring factions? Why are they interested in us? Were we simply in the wrong place at the wrong time or have we unknowingly been involved in the conflict from the start? Are we meant to be a weapon? Or salvation? Or something even stranger than that?

I have a feeling that none of those deeper issues will be key in the series. If it's meant to be video game-like than the focus will undoubtedly be on killing lots of aliens and trying to stay alive in the harsh but beautiful CGI world.

The whole "travel back in time to stop the disaster" thing seems kinda dodgy, too, but again, it'd depend on how the producers intend to use it.

Even if it does turn out to be hokey, it could still be fun.
                      Last edited by ShadowMaat; 01 September 2006, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Sucks to hear that this is having problems. No doubt it will still premiere on SciFi UK though, they'll just be being wary due to delays this being their first time and all.

Also, just because IP is a video game and TV series that will exist in sync doesn't mean the TV series component becomes weaker or that anything is done soley as a gimmick. Not enough is known to judge it at this point.

Comment

Was under the impression that they were having (re)casting problems/decisions, outside of Ironside, that was delaying the start of filming. Plus there was a mention of changing the scifi elements/plotlines to fit UK tastes rather than U.S.

Don't see a problem tieing in the show with a video game or selling products/toys seen in the series. Animes do it all the time. How many Yu-Gi-Oh! and GX fans buy the "theme decks and booster packs" or Pokemon fans buying the dolls/figures as well as the cards? And who knows how many video games are out there for other anime series.

In any case, I've already seen a lot of people at other forums with "Ice Planet" signatures and a few fan websites are already up. So there is already some pre-broadcast anticipation for the series.

The premise of the series reminds me of the (anime) Starship Troopers: Roughnecks ice planet story arc. If "Ice Planet" follows the "Roughnecks" formula and concentrates on character interactions/teamwork, then the series has a chance to have a nice run. If you haven't seen "Roughnecks", pick up/buy or rent a few of the DVD's and enjoy the storylines and characters.
                          It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
                            For $29 million dollars the best name they could come up with is Ice Planet?
                            [River]The name is problematic.[/River]
                            "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                            "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                            BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Ice Planet???

Sci-Fi should be sued by LEGO... (Lego subtheme of Ice Planet was around in 1994)
                              http://brickset.com/search.aspx?SubT...0Planet%202002
                              http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
                              http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Working...
                              X