This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gene Therapy / SGC

So since Dr. Beckett is in contact with Earth, I'm assuming that everyone has the Ancient Gene now. Does anyone disagree?

Yes I disagree, they dont need to give it to everyone, so they wont. Atlantis personel need it as the tech is ancient, this isnt the case on Earth.
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by Harry the Hippo Gutterman
      So since Dr. Beckett is in contact with Earth, I'm assuming that everyone has the Ancient Gene now. Does anyone disagree?
      Beckett mentioned at the very beginning of the first season of Atlantis that he had not been able to create/test the gene therapy on earth because he was hampered by FDA regulations. I would assume that that stricture is still in place, as the FDA is rather a fierce body, and the gene therapy has not gone through the requisite approval procedures for manufacturing, safety, non-human testing, and human testing, all of which takes a minimum of at least five years, more usually ten or fifteen for a brand new drug. While they can probably justify using the gene therapy on Atlantis personnel, I would think it unlikely that they could just roll it out to all the non-atlantis based people involved in the project.

Besides which, according to the first season, the gene therapy only 'took' in about 40% of the people to which it was administered (That *might* have been 14% as I didn't think the speech was very distinct)

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
        Yes I disagree, they dont need to give it to everyone, so they wont. Atlantis personel need it as the tech is ancient, this isnt the case on Earth.
        I'd think the folks at Area 51 and at the Atlantis base would have tried it by now.

Comment

Hmm...I suspect that if the gene therapy made it's way to Earth government facilities...it's a good bet that the China/Russia now have it...and possibly a few rogue agencies similiar to the Trust.

Which opens up a whole new problem.
          It feels good to be alive.
          Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

In Real Life (not sure if it applies to SG Universe) Gene Therapy has a high mortality rate. I doubt they'd give it to the SGC, "Hey, here's a though, Let's play Russian Rullet with out Top People!"

Sadly, only Earth has the ATA gene since the Goa'uld took all of the peolple to make new wordls before the Lantiens mated with the Romans (which began sometime after 700BCE). The only exeptions I see are the Ancient Planets (like Camelot & Ori Galaxy Planets) & The Planets which had people take after the Lantien mating (such as the Christian Planet & the Tollan).

I wonder if any of the Tollan had/have the ATA gene? They were taken befroe the Dark Ages, so that leaves around 1000 years for the Window of Oppertunity to have them with the ATA gene.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnoliaAnaglypta
              Beckett mentioned at the very beginning of the first season of Atlantis that he had not been able to create/test the gene therapy on earth because he was hampered by FDA regulations. I would assume that that stricture is still in place, as the FDA is rather a fierce body, and the gene therapy has not gone through the requisite approval procedures for manufacturing, safety, non-human testing, and human testing, all of which takes a minimum of at least five years, more usually ten or fifteen for a brand new drug. While they can probably justify using the gene therapy on Atlantis personnel, I would think it unlikely that they could just roll it out to all the non-atlantis based people involved in the project.
              Ha! The FDA? Imagine their pitch.

"Hi, we are from the Airforce. We would like your approval to administer advanced gene therapy to our base personal so we have the ability to operate incredibility advanced technology to prevent the destruction of Earth. Previous plans to meddle with Alien technology have almost resulted in a catastropic event which at least almost whipes out North America. However this time we are confident have have worked out all the bugs, so to speak."

"Ummmm... Security!"
              An all new Stargate spinoff presents

Stargate: The B Team

The galaxy just got a whoooole lot crazier!

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet
                In Real Life (not sure if it applies to SG Universe) Gene Therapy has a high mortality rate. I doubt they'd give it to the SGC, "Hey, here's a though, Let's play Russian Rullet with out Top People!"

Sadly, only Earth has the ATA gene since the Goa'uld took all of the peolple to make new wordls before the Lantiens mated with the Romans (which began sometime after 700BCE). The only exeptions I see are the Ancient Planets (like Camelot & Ori Galaxy Planets) & The Planets which had people take after the Lantien mating (such as the Christian Planet & the Tollan).

I wonder if any of the Tollan had/have the ATA gene? They were taken befroe the Dark Ages, so that leaves around 1000 years for the Window of Oppertunity to have them with the ATA gene.
                The Ancients arrived on earth 10,000 BC and spread out among the people then. Most Ancients were probably dead by the times the Romans came around (or were descendants of the Ancients from Pegasus)

There's no reason to assume that only earthlings in the MW have the ancient gene (or that no one in Pegasus has it either - Lantian/Human interbreeding happened look at "The Tower")
                sigpic

Comment

i'm sure there are a few million with it naturally

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
                    how is it not the case on earth if there was an sg team on a mission and they found an ancient device and couldn't activate it because of some stupid fda regulation that said all military personnel are prohibited from possessing the ancient gene due to some stupid regulation which is probably ignored by the military and with the ori invading our galaxy you think the military would want to give the ancient gene to as many military personnel as possible so they can have loads of people ready to use the ancient weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_the_Wraith
                      The Ancients arrived on earth 10,000 BC and spread out among the people then. Most Ancients were probably dead by the times the Romans came around (or were descendants of the Ancients from Pegasus)

Err...no, they tought the Romans Latin... Latin came to Rome around the 9th/8th century, the Roman Kindom began in 700BC (8th Century BC). Therefor, the Lantiens were around still in the 8th Century BC... Also, they inspired Plato to write about Atlantis... (according to Stargate) that is, but their Timeline is all messed up...

Comment

Since the ATA gene was one of the only limiting factors in regards to Atlantis/using Ancient tech, I think it's pretty obvious that EVERYONE has it by now. Check Wally's medical records, I'm sure he got dosed, too. And Siler, he's gotta be the test dummy for stuff, so he'll need it. Frank, the guy who cleans the hallways, you never know, better dose him, too.

What an utter friggen waste of time THAT was.

As for the FDA thing, I don't know if Carson's tests on Atlantis counted as the human trials or if the SGC bypasses the FDA, but in Siege II
                        Spoiler:
                        When Col. Jackass comes through the Atlantis gate to "save the day!" and get wraithed, he commented that all his team members had been given the therapy/treatment before they came. So the treatment IS available one way or another.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                          Since the ATA gene was one of the only limiting factors in regards to Atlantis/using Ancient tech, I think it's pretty obvious that EVERYONE has it by now. Check Wally's medical records, I'm sure he got dosed, too. And Siler, he's gotta be the test dummy for stuff, so he'll need it. Frank, the guy who cleans the hallways, you never know, better dose him, too.

What an utter friggen waste of time THAT was.

As for the FDA thing, I don't know if Carson's tests on Atlantis counted as the human trials or if the SGC bypasses the FDA, but in Siege II
                          Spoiler:
                          When Col. Jackass comes through the Atlantis gate to "save the day!" and get wraithed, he commented that all his team members had been given the therapy/treatment before they came. So the treatment IS available one way or another.
                          the sgc should bypass the fda and give the gene to all military personnel on the base as well any troops the plan to send to atlantis because they will need all the help they can get since they are at war with the wraith rules and regulations mean nothing in battle so the sgc should ignore the fda.

Comment

Originally posted by generaloneill
                            the sgc should bypass the fda and give the gene to all military personnel on the base as well any troops the plan to send to atlantis because they will need all the help they can get since they are at war with the wraith rules and regulations mean nothing in battle so the sgc should ignore the fda.
                            All I have to say to that is Coup d'Etat.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                              All I have to say to that is Coup d'Etat.
                              well said.

Comment

Working...
                              X