This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drizzt Do'Urden Discussion Thread

I did a bit of searching and couldn't find any threads focusing on this great character and the many books he is in. So, I decided to create a thread to discuss anything to do with Drizzt and the books by R.A Salvatore. Frankly, I have found every single book dealing with Drizzt, Bruenor, Cattie-brie, Wulfgar and Regis to be captivating, up to the point where I read the Paths of Darkness series in a couple of weeks.

With the main characters put aside, these books have yielded some of the best villans in fantasy literature, namely Artemis Entreri and, of course, Jarlaxle, IMO, the second greatest fantasy character of all time, behind Drizzt of course. Obviously, my short little rant can't do the series and characters justice, so I emplore any fan of the books or anyone who wants to know a bit about these books to post away.

Sheppard: "Y’know, we’ve been having these conversations for a couple of weeks now, and I don’t even know your name. You guys do have names, right? Let me guess...Steve?"
    Wraith: "I am your death. That is all you need to know."
    Sheppard: "I prefer Steve."

I love Drizzt as a character and the original trilogy that introduced him was great.

However, either my tastes changed or Salvatore stopped caring, but in either case, I just can't read Salvatore anymore. I tried a variety of his Drizzt and non-Drizzt books, and I just can't get into them. They seem cardboard. I can hear the dice rolling as he moves from encounter to encounter.

That first trilogy, however, is one of my fave 'outsider' stories ever. The first book and story in the Underdark was great.

When I played AD&D, Queen of the Demonweb Pits was one of my fave campaigns and these books were a great addition to the lore put forth in that campaign.

I recently picked up the 3 comics from IDW (i think) of the first book. Obviously they had to cut 90% of the story, but it was still a fun read, seeing some of the cool battles put into pictures.
    Thanks!
    Jordan

my page
    My LJ
    From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

I enjoyed the Icewind Dale trilogy as a boy, but when I got around to the earlier stories - I'm not sure if they were the first trilogy or written as prequels, but I read them after - I was really struck by the fact that Drizzt Had An Alignment, from birth. His attitudes weren't actually shaped much by his early life; his father taught him honour, but fundamentally he just Had An Alignment and that was why he was the way he was. That bugged me and I never really got so into any of the later books, in part because of that.
      Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
      - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

I read the first Drizzt books, along with R.A. Salvatore's Cleric Quintet when I was an undergrad, but the later books really seemed like Salvatore just mailed them in. The other poster's comment about hearing the dice rolling as they read was spot on now that I think about it.

Thanks to ShelBel for the sigpics! SUPPORT GATEWORLD ROLEPLAY

Comment

I have brought one version of Drizzt back to life in the Sundered Realm, my campaign world. He's not as weepy & sentmental as he used to be, and with the female ranger/mu I have him hooked up with, why should he be? Here's a pic of her back in her "Elmister" phaze. Um, the dragon is his.
          disclaimer for pic not being my property

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Working...
          X