PDA

View Full Version : Will still watch season 10, 11, etc..

Harry the Hippo Gutterman
April 10th, 2006, 03:59 AM
The beautiful thing about stargate is it evolves. Some people are upset that RDA left the show. Sorry but I'm not. He lost interest in Season 6 and it showed through to season 7. Season 8 he was excellent in. I think it gave him new motivation on his character and added more realism. Forgive me for being blunt, but he's getting kind of old. In all reality would you be sending a 56 year old man into hardcore combat situations against Aliens as your point man? I wouldn't but maybe it's just me. Also I think Mitchell is a GREAT character. I Think people would have no problem with him if they had cast him as the lead in Atlantis, (I personally don't like Joe Flannigan he's just somewhat obnoxious to my eyes) but because he's replacing RDA he's having to take alot of Flak. The same situation happened with Jonas. Although I'm pleased DJ is back I think they pushed Jonas out the door too quickly. I really think he should have come back when the Orii originally arrived. The Tauri being the ones that defeated the Goa'uld and Jonas it would only be natural that Jonas would contact them.

Also everyone seems to forget that Jonas originally brought them the Naquadria, and helped save the World from Anubis twice.

P.S.

Anyone else ever wonder what Cargo can fit in a Cargo ship??? Must take alot of trips or alot of ships to build a Hatak.

Blitz
April 10th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Harry

i could kiss you.....but ur probs straight and not my type so i wont,

BUT FINALLY

Someone who understands a show has to move on! Its like a child, evolving and growing and changeing. IT needs a new formula.

Its an art form, like writing you have to change it or it gets boring and old, you need new things to bring it to life.

People on here expect the COMPLETE same as Seasons 1 - 4 but if it was, still episodes like emancipation and Broco Divide they'd complain it isnt going anywhere and just reusing old episodes.

The Signal
April 10th, 2006, 05:04 AM
I disagree Blitz, people dont mind change and dont want the same as S1-4, but this newer change has been forced onto people, with little thought given for development of the storyline. I am not the biggest fan of Cam or the Ori, I used to be and until I re-watched the opener the other day I couldnt remember why, but having seen that I can see the massive potential of both. I too was bored with Jack by S8's end, and Cam was a breath of fresh air, the same goes for the Goa'uld and ther Ori. But here is my issue, Cam, in the first episodes was awesome, but he has been rushed and has developed badly IMO, the Ori are the exact same. Sam, Daniel, Teal'c and Jack wheren't great in S1 or 2, nore where the Goa'uld (Apophis seemed wooden at first) but they where given time to work themselves out over the years, but the writers have tried to get years worth of development for the Ori and Cam in a tiny space of time and IMO it has ruined the huge potential that was Post S8 SG1.
As for you Harry, you got green from me, great post.

Harry the Hippo Gutterman
April 10th, 2006, 10:07 AM
As for you Harry, you got green from me, great post.

Thanks! I can use all the green I can get with all this red I've been getting for my Atlantis Season 3 thread "Kill Shepherd bring back Ford" post :)

D3K
April 11th, 2006, 03:26 AM
I didn't like Mitchell at the beginning of Season 9, because everything he said was "Will you rejoin SG-1?" "Come and rejoin SG-1" "The band's back together". Seriously, those lines were just annoying.

And I like Joe Flanigans character, Sheppard. He's got comedic value which he brings to the show, and he's a good character, gets on well with the others, has some intelligence to him, I think he's a good leader, and he seems to adapt to situations well.

Stuey1221
April 11th, 2006, 03:47 AM
I'll still be watchin season 12 :D

I'd forgotten that Jonas helped save us from Anumbis twice... apart from the time when he helped them realise they could take the gate into space etc...

Great post though, more green from me!!!!

The Signal
April 11th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Im gonna sit through season 10, and beyond, in the desperate hope that there will be something worth watching in there, it would be a dream come true if they could bring the show back from the edge that it is dangerously close to going over. *crosses fingers*

GhostPoet
April 11th, 2006, 10:49 AM
The beautiful thing about stargate is it evolves. Some people are upset that RDA left the show. Sorry but I'm not. He lost interest in Season 6 and it showed through to season 7. Season 8 he was excellent in. I think it gave him new motivation on his character and added more realism. Forgive me for being blunt, but he's getting kind of old. In all reality would you be sending a 56 year old man into hardcore combat situations against Aliens as your point man? I wouldn't but maybe it's just me. Also I think Mitchell is a GREAT character. I Think people would have no problem with him if they had cast him as the lead in Atlantis, (I personally don't like Joe Flannigan he's just somewhat obnoxious to my eyes) but because he's replacing RDA he's having to take alot of Flak. The same situation happened with Jonas. Although I'm pleased DJ is back I think they pushed Jonas out the door too quickly. I really think he should have come back when the Orii originally arrived. The Tauri being the ones that defeated the Goa'uld and Jonas it would only be natural that Jonas would contact them.

Also everyone seems to forget that Jonas originally brought them the Naquadria, and helped save the World from Anubis twice.

P.S.

Anyone else ever wonder what Cargo can fit in a Cargo ship??? Must take alot of trips or alot of ships to build a Hatak.

You're my new friend.

I may not agree with everything you said (I thought Jonas had his time...move on and I like Joe!!)

But what you said about the show evolving is EXACTLY what I like. I hate when a show remains stale and never changes. CHANGE makes the story great.

I LOVE the Jaffa arc...the changing cast. It's because of change that we have so many dynamic story arcs now...more than in ANY season past. :)

NakedJehutyV2
April 11th, 2006, 02:47 PM
wil not care

Chutzpah
April 11th, 2006, 04:26 PM
wil not care

Great, thanks for the input.

As for me. I will be watching both Atlantis and SG-1 till they end. I like all the characters, but what keeps me comming back is the Storys. They have gotten better and better since the show begin (excluding the odd exception. Icon, Affinity, The scourge, anyone?)

I like the Ori far more than the Goa'uld. In the end i felt the only reason the Goa'uld kept getting more and more advanced is because it was too easy to blow up the old ones. I know that sounds obvious, but i dunno, i just felt the writings couldn't really come up with plausible ways for such a speedy advancement. (i don't buy the whole half ascended junk) It's hard to explain.

Quite frankly if the dropped the entire cast and started again fresh, i would still happily watch.

Vyse
April 11th, 2006, 04:41 PM
I disagree. Change isn't inherently good or bad, it depends on the writing. Some shows like Alias have handled this kind of thing pretty good, and we will see hoe Galactica will fare in October. I stopped watching S9 mid way. I was just too bored by the coma-inducing Priors. The Oreos are a horrorible villain, who are very boring. The Goa'uld had something called personality that the Priors don't have any of. Unfortunately the quality of the show has gone down since S7, and continued to decline. The show is now a shadow of it's former self. Sad for me since I watched the show form the very first time it aired on Show-Time!

david2708
April 11th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Hmm...well if the same old tired lot behind the camera are still there, then probably not.
If season nine saw a change in cast then a change in writers/directors should next be inline for the show to survive. The current lot behind the camera ran out of creative puff seasons ago.
Hell, I'd prefer the show just got canned and Skiffy tap Browder and Black on the shoulder and say..now while your here, why don't we revisit......

walter_MacChevron
April 11th, 2006, 08:45 PM
I will still watch season 10.....everybody is too quick to judge these new arcs...one season is NOTHING, usually in sci-fi a good long story arc takes 4 or 5 years minimum to develop, and i cant wait till the Ori story gets developed that much :) I think that Stargate SG-1, starting with season 8 has kinda sunken into a long-running (like ER or Law and Order) show, it is now taking chances that it wouldnt have back in season 7 because they thought the show would end soon.

Of course, this comment is not negative (it might sound that way though) but SG-1 has gone on cruise control with stories, it might very well have 12 or 13 seasons....which means writers have been coming up with deeper and more awesome arcs. Only starting in season 7 (basically) we have seen story arcs throughout the season....and every year the writers get more experience from this and thus the story arcs every year become moe crafted. In season 7, the search for the Lost City....mentioned in what.......5 episodes? In season 8, you saw the slow progression of Jack into the generals role, Sam/Pete, and the downfall of the gouald. In season 9, almost every episode has played into another, the slow foothold of the Ori on the galaxy, and recurring characters like gerak

PG15
April 11th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Hell yes.

Kanten
April 11th, 2006, 11:00 PM
I seem to be in the vast minority that actually likes the direction the Ori storyline is going. Sure, like everyone else, the Priors in the first half bored me to sleep with the "bow or be plagued" pattern. The second half had more direct action taken by the Ori and Priors being original for once. Camelot only left me wanting to see more SG-1, moreso than S7 or S8 did at their respective ends. I still maintain that S9 was better than the horrible pattern of Kirking and stupid decisions that Atlantis has been suffering from this past year.

TheCaptain
April 11th, 2006, 11:16 PM
I will stay on for both shows until they wrap up, if TPTB continue along the same lines that they are now. I don't mind any of the major changes that have been made to characters/story arcs on both Atlantis and SG1 - maybe it wasn't so smart of them to do so many in S2 of SGA and S9 of SG1, which were airing pretty much at the same time, but they did it and its done. I also think, in all honestly, that the changes brings a new sense of freshness and continuality to SG1, and also deal with a couple of issues in Atlantis that were starting to get at me.

But there are A LOT of people who don't like the way one or both shows are going, don't like change being forced upon them, don't like change, period! They'll either get through this or change to some other show - but not me, I think unless something drastically bad happens and TPTB drop the ball, I'm there to the finales

Capt

Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman
April 12th, 2006, 06:03 AM
I agree that RDA was getting seriously bored and that it showed, however, I think that they took him out way to suddenly. I mean, get rid of an old regular and add in THREE new ones and Vala all at the same time... it's a bit rough on the fans >__<

And it's true that they tried to fit years of developpement into one season, I think that's Atlantis' failing as well and why after only two seasons they have to come up with a new villain. They went too fast with the Wraith, as they are doing with the Ori. The Goa'uld were nowhere near as cool and scary as either yet they lasted for YEARS! I want that back more than anything else. The slow developing of the plot.

And I don't like Cam >.< He's funny and cute and everything but he's otherwise kinda 2D. I know, we can't know all about him from the beginning ( and I wouldn't want to) I just don't percieve there is more to him than to bring back something akin to Jack but not quite Jack. He's the funny man as Jack was as well as the military minded guy and quite obviously being made the hero. He shows up and suddenly everything's about him... It just gets on my nerves... Even when Jack was around and quite obviously the hero there was still plenty for the others.

Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman
April 12th, 2006, 06:04 AM
But yeah...I'll probably still be watching by season 20 :D And maybe when I'm a little old lady I'll be watching a 3D version of "Stargate: The Next Generation" X-D

kazzyk
April 12th, 2006, 06:41 AM

P.S.

I am not upset Jack left--nor do I mind change as long as they stay true to the TEAM which they have not.
Jack to old? OK--they would not send out nor make a leader out of someone with zero off world experience.

They want a show with BB and CB and I think thats great--they really should have made one.
IMO they will do well to just make S10 happen and they seem to have to bring back that "Old" fellow in order to do so.

Deevil
April 12th, 2006, 06:46 AM
IMO they will do well to just make S10 happen and they seem to have to bring back that "Old" fellow in order to do so.

Well, season 10 is happening, so they must be doing well :).

Incidently, they are not bringing back Jack just to make sure season 10 runs to completion. They only wanted him for the 200th episode (and rightfully so, because I am sure those who are proposing the only reason Jack is returning is to pass on the torch would be having a fit if he wasn't returning at all), he offered to do a couple more.

Why would they knock that back?

Formerhost
April 12th, 2006, 06:59 AM

Incidently, they are not bringing back Jack just to make sure season 10 runs to completion. They only wanted him for the 200th episode (and rightfully so, because I am sure those who are proposing the only reason Jack is returning is to pass on the torch would be having a fit if he wasn't returning at all), he offered to do a couple more.

Exactly. Also if you go to RDA's website and read the forum there a little bit, you can find out that not only doing more episodes was RDA's idea, but he also doesn't want to tie "loose ends" too tightly to have open doors for future season(s) or features. He WANTED to come back to the show and managed to convince his daughter that daddy needs to work.

Albion
April 12th, 2006, 07:22 AM
<sigh> More of the same lumping everyone who isn't jumping up and down yelling 'Woohoo! S9 is terrific!' into the same narrow camp. Not all of us are turning off our TV sets just because Jack has gone. But, of course, it's easier to dismiss us that way. ;)

S9 for me isn't SG1. For a variety of reasons. Way too many to go into in a single post. But a few of them:

Huge drop in quality in writing/characterisations.

Less character driven, more silly blowing things up, shoot 'em ups

Too much reliance on the easy solution of spaceships and transporters to get the team out of danger/trouble

A new villain which is bland, boring, characterless and doesn't scare me in the slightest

Too much time spent on boring Jaffa politics

Mitchell being written clumsily and inconsistently, to the point where I gave up on trying to like him before midway through the season. And believe me, I really did try. I wanted to like him. But the juvenile way he's been presented just grates.

The sudden drop in 'realism' - a switch away from realistic action/decisions that their AF advisor would approve to the John Wayne School of Hollywood fighting, with ridiculous macho posturing and totally ludicrous shooting that wouldn't work in real life.

The sudden drop in weight, depth, gravitis in scripts/dialogue to more lightweight shoot 'em up, quip from the hip nonsense aimed to appeal to immature teen males.

Please note that none of the above has anything to do with Jack or his lack thereof.

I don't disagree that all shows change. Change in fact, can be a welcome shot in the arm for a show that's been going for 8 seasons. But I've been asked to accept way too much change all at once. Change that strips away everything that made SG1 unique for me, that made it something special and a cut above other run of the mill SF shows. That's my problem with S9 and the show now.

It wasn't TPTB's fault that RDA/Jack were missing from S9. That was something they couldn't help. However, it was their decision to make the entire show about Jack for the past eight years, to make him front and centre as the leading man and put so much of the focus on him week by week for eight years. Usually when a show does that and then loses their leading man, they make sure that they emphasise all the other elements in the show that the fans also love and watch for, so that that jolting loss is minimised and you don't have such a gaping hole left behind him.

What happened instead with SG1 is that TPTB seemed to feel they now had the opportunity to ditch everything else that made SG1 unique overboard along with Jack. A very, very bad move if they wanted to keep their core audience.

It would have been way more honest for TPTB to have marketed S9 as a brand new show - the Stargate Command they apparently intended to call it at one point - because SG1 it ain't. It's become a parody. A farce.

And my main regret is that it was completely unnecessary. With a bit of thought and consideration they could have moved on without Jack in a way that still held true to SG1. Instead, they warped it into something new, something bizarre that bears no relation to the show I adored.

Albion :)

GhostPoet
April 12th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Man, I can't wait for more seasons. I've enjoyed Season 9 even more than many of the past seasons. It's right up there as one of my favorites. I LOVE the fact we get to see so much more of the Jaffa now. And the Ori and their soldiers are so much more dangerous than the Jaffa and the snakeheads...So many more character and story dynamics going on than EVER before. =)

the fifth man
April 12th, 2006, 06:50 PM
I'll be watching this show until it's no longer on the air. Personally, I think it seems to just get better and better.

Trek_Girl42
April 12th, 2006, 06:56 PM
I'll be watching forever, usually sci-fi shows need a season to get their bearings with characters, story, villains etc., and I think they did a really good job of that in season nine, I am very impressed.

Lord Shiva
April 12th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I'll be watching this show until it's no longer on the air. Personally, I think it seems to just get better and better.

Cheers! My thoughts exactly :)

kazzyk
April 13th, 2006, 07:02 AM

I am willing to bet S10 is the last.

creed462
April 13th, 2006, 07:49 AM
I'll be gald to watch the show to season 16 and beyond

the fifth man
April 13th, 2006, 11:59 AM
I am willing to bet S10 is the last.

Personally, I disagree. I think this show has the potential for several more seasons, at least. But, that's just my opinion.:)

Deevil
April 13th, 2006, 06:45 PM
I personally was willing to be Season 8 was the last - and we have 2 more season above and beyond what I expected.

They have plenty more room to explore, and more stories to tell. Granted, I can't see it going beyond an 11th; but I am not going to say 10 is the end, simply because I don't think it's likely.

the fifth man
April 13th, 2006, 08:06 PM
As long as TPTB still have good stories to tell, I know I'll be interested in following the adventures of SG-1.:D

Happy_Gate
April 13th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Onwards and upwards!!
As long as I am alive, I wish for there to be Stargate!!

kazzyk
April 14th, 2006, 04:56 AM
Personally, I disagree. I think this show has the potential for several more seasons, at least. But, that's just my opinion.:)

I respect your opinion. IMO the only way I see it going beyond S10 is if they go ahead and make it really the new show they wanted to do in the first place.

However, if they continue to insist this is Stargate and continue with a scattered team--S10 will be it--again IMO only :)

Formerhost
April 14th, 2006, 05:24 AM

Not only yours, Stargate universe is so huge, that there definitely is potential for great amount of stories to tell - season 11, 12... :)

The Engineer
April 14th, 2006, 05:25 AM
SG-1 will have at least 11 seasons, but if 10 is the last (very very unlikely) will later be treated with a feature movie. My hope is that the feature movie will come after season 20:p.

camarogod69
April 14th, 2006, 12:27 PM
I would love another stargate movie, but I think there is a lot about the Ori that needs exploring and I don't think they could clear it up in one season. Plus we have never even seen a furling yet.

Trek_Girl42
April 14th, 2006, 12:48 PM
SG-1 will have at least 11 seasons, but if 10 is the last (very very unlikely) will later be treated with a feature movie. My hope is that the feature movie will come after season 20:p.
I would be really surprised if they didn't get an eleventh season- beyond that, it might be up in the air- I really hope it can continue for many more seasons and then end in a feature.:)

Kanten
April 14th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Very, very doubtful that S10 is going to be the end. They just started a completely new storyline with the Ori, very little chance of that coming to a conclusion after only 2 seasons. As long as the ratings hold like they have been recently, I could easily see a few more to follow.

kazzyk
April 15th, 2006, 05:13 AM
Very, very doubtful that S10 is going to be the end. They just started a completely new storyline with the Ori, very little chance of that coming to a conclusion after only 2 seasons. As long as the ratings hold like they have been recently, I could easily see a few more to follow.

Anyone read RCC's full interview yet? S11 is way up in the air and the Ori story line would be easy to finish out as basically (as Coop says) who can win that arguement? It is about religion and folks dieing for their faith--it is a no win.

The ratings are down--even TPTB have acknowledged that.

A movie--Now that would be great and is still very much an option.

wolverine_nl
April 15th, 2006, 06:14 AM
The ep "The lost City" both parts, were originally meant to be a feature movie, but SciFi wanted Atlantis spinoff more quick than anticipated, so they put the movie story in the series and that was the end for the second stargate movie.
I got this from R.Cooper's commentary in the lost city ep on the dvd.

gr

kazzyk
April 15th, 2006, 06:54 AM
The ep "The lost City" both parts, were originally meant to be a feature movie, but SciFi wanted Atlantis spinoff more quick than anticipated, so they put the movie story in the series and that was the end for the second stargate movie.
I got this from R.Cooper's commentary in the lost city ep on the dvd.

gr

Listen to MS interview from a month ago or so. The movie idea is still alive and well.
There was another interview with one of thw writers who also mentioned it.

wolverine_nl
April 15th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Listen to MS interview from a month ago or so. The movie idea is still alive and well.
There was another interview with one of thw writers who also mentioned it.
Yes a new movie idea, i know, but i was talking about the original second movie idea :jack_new_anime04:

HirogenGater
April 15th, 2006, 06:42 PM

Exactly, me too.

HirogenGater
April 15th, 2006, 06:43 PM
I respect your opinion. IMO the only way I see it going beyond S10 is if they go ahead and make it really the new show they wanted to do in the first place.

However, if they continue to insist this is Stargate and continue with a scattered team--S10 will be it--again IMO only :)

I feel like it IS a new show. The dynamics have changed.

the fifth man
April 15th, 2006, 11:09 PM

Definitely. But not enough that it doesn't still feel like SG-1.:) I think this season, this new storyline and new team will really come into their own.

kazzyk
April 16th, 2006, 06:46 AM

Your right--it is a NEW show and there in is the problem. As long as they call it Stargate with SG1 the focus the new direction does not fit.
Now if they had come out with S9 as S1 of what would have been another spin off--the responce may have been better.

As always--just my opinion.

Deevil
April 16th, 2006, 06:50 AM
But it is still about SG-1 (or members within), so why change the name? It's still about those people... SG-1 is a designation.

They go through the gate, try to stop their enemy, meet new people (of course, new people are perhaps more likely to end up dead now). But it's still SG-1. It's still about them (and yes, I know - some people think Mitchell is too much in the foreground, that is a matter of opinion. But, he is still on the team SG-1; kind of matches the name of the show.)

I think it would have been more unrealistic to change the name of the show, when it obviously is still about SG-1.

Formerhost
April 16th, 2006, 07:03 AM
But it is still about SG-1 (or members within), so why change the name? It's still about those people... SG-1 is a designation. Nothing else has really changed.

They go through the gate, try to stop their enemy, meet new people (of course, new people are perhaps more likely to end up dead now). But it's still SG-1. It's still about them (and yes, I know - some people think Mitchell is too much in the foreground, that is a matter of opinion. But, he is still on the team SG-1; kind of matches the name of the show.)

They DID want to change the name of the show into "Stargate Command" and RCC in his DVD commentary for Avalon pt. 1 said that while filming the first 2 - 3 episodes, they treated them completely like a pilot to a new show. And it feels like it, definitely. Just the framework is the same. The Stargate Universe is so huge, that while there're interesting places to see, great enemies to fight, interesting people to meet, and of course interesting stories to tell, the potential is for at least 3 - 4 or more years. The new characters were introduced and quite well established in season 9, high time to fully develop them in season 10. Is it July yet? :daniel: :vala: :tealc: :sam: :cameron:

Deevil
April 16th, 2006, 07:05 AM
I know they wanted to change the name of the show - I just don't get why. SG-1 was always about the adventures of the team designated SG-1. It's still about the adventures of the team designated SG-1.

Yes, much has changed, but much has stayed the same... It's all about how you look at it.

But honestly, I doubt the people who hated s9 would have liked it better if it was s1 of Stargate Command. They still would have hated it possibly with others, hell, there even may have been a renewed vigor for hating it. Because a rose by any other name....

Formerhost
April 16th, 2006, 07:16 AM
I know they wanted to change the name of the show - I just don't get why. SG-1 was always about the adventures of the team designated SG-1. It's still about the adventures of the team designated SG-1.

Yes, much has changed, but much has stayed the same... It's all about how you look at it.

But honestly, I doubt the people who hated s9 would have liked it better if it was s1 of Stargate Command. They still would have hated it with others, hell, there even may have been a renewed vigor for hating it. Because a rose by any other name....

Well, let's hope season 10 is going to convert some "anti's" into at least a little bit "pro's"... :)

Deevil
April 16th, 2006, 07:18 AM
hell, I don't have a problem with anti's... I have been the same over some show I have loved seemingly going down the toilet, and expounded upon it often to a friend or 2... It's what happens when you still kind of care about something.

But I do agree, I hope s10 is enough to at least give them back something they are missing.

Formerhost
April 16th, 2006, 08:30 AM
hell, I don't have a problem with anti's... I have been the same over some show I have loved seemingly going down the toilet, and expounded upon it often to a friend or 2... It's what happens when you still kind of care about something.

But I do agree, I hope s10 is enough to at least give them back something they are missing.

Or not... ;) with 6 leads now, not 5 like in season 9, some of them are going to complain even more now that their favourite characters are sidelined to give more place to another characters... On the other hand, with Michael Shanks not being present in 4 episodes, 2 at the beginning of the season and 2 later, there's a chance for developing more another characters' relationship. There's definitely a lot of potential here.

kazzyk
April 17th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Well, let's hope season 10 is going to convert some "anti's" into at least a little bit "pro's"... :)

Hope is the only reason we anti's are still around IMO but it is not looking real good.
As long as the "Team" remains manic in favor of show casing the new kids--conversion to pro seems unlikely.

I know someone will give me the whole thing about how they had to do it to build the new characters but that did not have to happen at the expense of the "team" IMO.

ChillinTheMost
April 17th, 2006, 01:29 PM
I think it's hard to predict how many seasons a show will go on. There are so many more factors than just ratings. I'd love to see SG-1 go on for many more years. I am enjoying it immensely and hope to continue doing so for quite a while.

I hope those that are hanging on hoping for shows that they can enjoy are pleasantly surprised in season 10! I don't know what is to come, but I hope you are rewarded for your faithfulness, even if you are disappointed now. Good luck!

kingofcherrymd
April 18th, 2006, 09:15 PM
I'll watch SG-1 and Atlantis both until they are cancelled... Prob just my personality, but I just couldn't bring myself to not watch it, even if the show became awful (which I don't think it will.)

kazzyk
April 19th, 2006, 08:08 AM
I think it's hard to predict how many seasons a show will go on. There are so many more factors than just ratings. I'd love to see SG-1 go on for many more years. I am enjoying it immensely and hope to continue doing so for quite a while.

I hope those that are hanging on hoping for shows that they can enjoy are pleasantly surprised in season 10! I don't know what is to come, but I hope you are rewarded for your faithfulness, even if you are disappointed now. Good luck!

I hope so too but have serious doubts.
What other factors do you speak of besides ratings? I am sure your correct--just wondering what they are.
Because in my mind--money is the bottom line and if ratings drop to low--how would they justify continuing?

ChillinTheMost
April 19th, 2006, 10:57 AM
I hope so too but have serious doubts.
What other factors do you speak of besides ratings? I am sure your correct--just wondering what they are.
Because in my mind--money is the bottom line and if ratings drop to low--how would they justify continuing?

Some shows end while still popular in the ratings. Ratings are still the number 1 reason to cancel a show, I believe, but some are cancelled for other reasons.

Seinfeld was still popular, but Jerry Seinfeld was ready to quit. I think he wanted the show to end while he thought it was still good I believe other shows ended because those involved thought the show had run its course.

[I]FarScape may not have had the popularity that Stargate did, but it was doing fine in the ratings. However, it was expensive to make and there was a backing [money] problem. Mostly there was a timing problem, because if The SciFi Channel had waited a bit, I heard that the backing came through, but too late. Something about a change of hands at some company.

Then, of course, there are television politics. I'm sure some shows have been cancelled because the higher-ups didn't like some major folks involved with the show or have had a falling out with them, and others have been cancelled because someone new taking over a channel or whatever didn't think the program was worth keeping.

I don't know much about the television business, but I've seen shows that are doing respectable in the ratings cancelled before. I don't really have any inside information, just that I've seen it happen.

But back on topic, yeah, I'm not sure anything can help those disillusioned with the show, but I remain hopeful, too.

kazzyk
April 20th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Some shows end while still popular in the ratings. Ratings are still the number 1 reason to cancel a show, I believe, but some are cancelled for other reasons.

Seinfeld was still popular, but Jerry Seinfeld was ready to quit. I think he wanted the show to end while he thought it was still good I believe other shows ended because those involved thought the show had run its course.

[I]FarScape may not have had the popularity that Stargate did, but it was doing fine in the ratings. However, it was expensive to make and there was a backing [money] problem. Mostly there was a timing problem, because if The SciFi Channel had waited a bit, I heard that the backing came through, but too late. Something about a change of hands at some company.

Then, of course, there are television politics. I'm sure some shows have been cancelled because the higher-ups didn't like some major folks involved with the show or have had a falling out with them, and others have been cancelled because someone new taking over a channel or whatever didn't think the program was worth keeping.

I don't know much about the television business, but I've seen shows that are doing respectable in the ratings cancelled before. I don't really have any inside information, just that I've seen it happen.

But back on topic, yeah, I'm not sure anything can help those disillusioned with the show, but I remain hopeful, too.

ParadoxRealities
April 22nd, 2006, 05:02 PM
Hope is the only reason we anti's are still around IMO but it is not looking real good.<nods> i didn't see a team this season. but i won't stop watching. i'll stop REwatching eps, but each week's a new day (...wait...??). there's always room for hope. and the wallpapering and degrading hasn't gotten to the point where a actually can't bear to watch it as long as i can discuss :coughrantcough: about it later.

walter_MacChevron
April 22nd, 2006, 09:40 PM
No team..........hmmmmmm, i dont know what you were watching but I was estatic when I saw season 9's team after watching season 7 and 8.........im sorry to say this but because RDA is gone, we do not have to have episodes that constantly work around his schedule....like "Ressurection" and it seems like the writers are actually trying to make it Stargate-y again after such episodes as "affinity" or even "Covenant" was boring and nothing changed in the end.....i think this is my favorite season...every single episode had to do with off world travel or alien tech on Earth that directly linked to past seasons (Prototype)

Trek_Girl42
April 22nd, 2006, 10:06 PM
No team..........hmmmmmm, i dont know what you were watching but I was estatic when I saw season 9's team after watching season 7 and 8.........im sorry to say this but because RDA is gone, we do not have to have episodes that constantly work around his schedule....like "Ressurection" and it seems like the writers are actually trying to make it Stargate-y again after such episodes as "affinity" or even "Covenant" was boring and nothing changed in the end.....i think this is my favorite season...every single episode had to do with off world travel or alien tech on Earth that directly linked to past seasons (Prototype)
And it's been just so darn consistant- that's what really took me by surprise, week after week was strong. There were no groaner eps this season (maybe a few moments;) ), it was nice and even throughout (season eight had some great episodes, but it was uneven). I really like how the season was handled and I could tell that the writers weren't as restricted. Great contrast of dark and light moments, great guest characters spread throughout the season. And it was FUN! I'm really looking forward to seeing how they build on all this next season.

the fifth man
April 23rd, 2006, 12:00 AM
I'm really looking forward to seeing how they build on all this next season.

I totally agree. And the season after that. And after that.:D

Formerhost
April 23rd, 2006, 12:57 AM
And it's been just so darn consistant- that's what really took me by surprise, week after week was strong. There were no groaner eps this season (maybe a few moments;) ), it was nice and even throughout (season eight had some great episodes, but it was uneven). I really like how the season was handled and I could tell that the writers weren't as restricted. Great contrast of dark and light moments, great guest characters spread throughout the season. And it was FUN! I'm really looking forward to seeing how they build on all this next season.

Couldn't agree more... :)

Deevil
April 23rd, 2006, 02:40 AM
Ya know, I was talking to a few people who don't come to these parts (because well, lets face it, this place can be a little...intense), and they are looking forawrd to next season.

Sure, they aren't as invested as they used to be - but they do like what has happened and can't wait to see what happens next.

the fifth man
April 23rd, 2006, 12:18 PM
Sure, they aren't as invested as they used to be - but they do like what has happened and can't wait to see what happens next.

Hopefully this season can help pull them back to the show a little more.:)

Trek_Girl42
April 23rd, 2006, 01:46 PM
I totally agree. And the season after that. And after that.:D
And after that, and after that.....;)

the fifth man
April 23rd, 2006, 06:41 PM

Now that's the way to think.:)

Trek_Girl42
April 23rd, 2006, 07:30 PM
Now that's the way to think.:)
I think so too.:)

Formerhost
April 25th, 2006, 07:47 AM

And... 20 seasons? ;) :D

the fifth man
April 25th, 2006, 09:59 PM
And... 20 seasons? ;) :D

I'd sure love that.:) Unfortunately, I just don't think it'll be possible. At least, not with the current cast. I'd settle for season 14 or 15.:D

Deevil
April 25th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Give me 2 more years and I will be more then happy :).

I was thinking, not only is Stargate the longest running Sci-Fi series in North America; but it's the longest continual running sci-fi series ever.

Trek_Girl42
April 25th, 2006, 10:08 PM

I was thinking, not only is Stargate the longest running Sci-Fi series in North America; but it's the longest continual running sci-fi series ever.
And I think the longest running drama series on cable.

the fifth man
April 25th, 2006, 10:09 PM

This is just a show you never want to let go of. It's given us so many great moments over the past nine years.:)

Formerhost
April 28th, 2006, 07:38 AM
This is just a show you never want to let go of. It's given us so many great moments over the past nine years.:)

So let's hope it's gonna continue for at least 2 - 3 more years! :)

KindlyKeller
April 28th, 2006, 10:10 AM
I've never seen anyone look as bored as Richard Dean Anderson did during Season 8 and he wasn't very convincing to me as a General (wearing his standard off-world uniform didn't help), but I don't begrudge him that at all. He wasn't actively tanking it. His heart just wasn't in things at all. Now, I adored Jack and all the seasons with him heading up SG-1, but it was time for wholesale changes and I was ecstatic that we got them.

Beau Bridges is just the God damn man and it's nice to have someone who looks right for the role of Mr. Boss Man again. I wasn't sure what I'd think of Ben Browder, but I warmed up to Mitchell in short order. I loved his bizarre, overdone enthusiasm about "getting the band back together." I found the whole obsession endearing and a good way to get indoctrinated.

They're entitled to their opinion, but I just can't for the life of me wrap my mind around some folks' complaint that S9 was crap because of a lacking "team" dynamic. I thought they went way out of their way to drive to get that over -- there were some many nice little moments. Just to name a couple:

Mitchell and Jackson having the beer at the end of that one ep. (not to mention everyone's concern/relief for one another at Prometheus went down)...

Teal'c and Mitchell discussing what they'd watch at "Movie Night," which the team goes off to partake in at the end of that episode...

I liked that they seemed cogent in such a short time. Facing a blood-thirsty enemy who happens to exist on a higher plane of existence tends to bring you together. Mitchell's slipped right in, but they didn't go too fast with it in my opinion.

My only complaint is that the Ori got into the Milky Way awful quick. It seems like they may have rushed that arc. However, I'm absolutely loving said arc, so I won't complain. The Ori are a badass adversary, much more foreboding than the Gou'ald, in my opinion.

The show just feels fresh in every way. The stories are different, the team and team dynamics are different, Landry is being (much to my enjoyment) treated as a character and not just the pusher-of-exposition. The Stargate franchise just flat-out rocks right now. S9 of SG-1 was better than S2 of Atlantis, but I still enjoyed S2 and my hopes are high for both shows this year.

Bring on July.

Trek_Girl42
April 28th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Great post, I agree, I love Beau Bridges as the general, he's done a great job.

We need a Landry smiley.:hammond:

IcyNeko
April 28th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Another two season? I don't think I could take that much Vala.

kazzyk
April 30th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Some must be missing the interviews TPTB are doing. From the sounds of it--getting through s10 will be a miracle.
If the ratings do not improve over S9 (IMO they will not) that will be it.

Check the ratings for the re-runs of S9--lowest ever.

Deevil
April 30th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Some must be missing the interviews TPTB are doing. From the sounds of it--getting through s10 will be a miracle.
If the ratings do not improve over S9 (IMO they will not) that will be it.

Check the ratings for the re-runs of S9--lowest ever.

Ratings for re-runs do not detirmine if the show will be cancelled.

They aren't going to cancel the show half-way through a season; they wont loose that kind of money even if they wanted to (they still have to pay out contracts).

Read what you want into the interviews, sure the PTB are being pragmatic, but I don't think pragmatisim is a death knell for the show, and there is nothing to indicate that there is not a possibility for an 11th season. I suppose it's just a question of if you want to look at the glass being half full or half empty, but considering S10 was approved without what you must consider less-than stellar ratings - what makes you think 11 would be any different?

Ratings are still reasonable, not stellar but not excessively low. Just because some want to look at that as a representation of their dislike for the show; it doesn't mean that MGM and Sony are going to do the same. Doesn't mean Bridge is either.

the fifth man
April 30th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Ratings for re-runs do not detirmine if the show will be cancelled.

They aren't going to cancel the show half-way through a season; they wont loose that kind of money even if they wanted to (they still have to pay out contracts).

Read what you want into the interviews, sure the PTB are being pragmatic, but I don't think pragmatisim is a death knell for the show, and there is nothing to indicate that there is not a possibility for an 11th season. I suppose it's just a question of if you want to look at the glass being half full or half empty, but considering S10 was approved without what you must consider less-than stellar ratings - what makes you think 11 would be any different?

I'm definitely the "glass half-full" type. Personally, I think Season 10 sounds even better than Season 9 was. And I really enjoyed Season 9. I think SG-1 could easily have an 11th season, if not more than that.:)

Mattathias2.0
May 1st, 2006, 09:56 AM

That's if you don't include the original Doctor Who running in the UK from November 23, 1963 to December 6, 1989.

Mattathias

RepliHawk
May 1st, 2006, 10:48 AM
I will still be watching untill the day stargate dies, which will be never

Vyse
May 1st, 2006, 11:44 AM
That's if you don't include the original Doctor Who running in the UK from November 23, 1963 to December 6, 1989.

Mattathias

Yeah, I don't think any show will ever break Doctor Who's record. I mean 26 years, that is longer than I have been alive!

Vyse
May 1st, 2006, 11:45 AM
I will still be watching untill the day stargate dies, which will be never

Every show dies eventually.

RepliHawk
May 1st, 2006, 01:09 PM
well hopefully stargate still has a few seasons left for it.

esoap524
May 1st, 2006, 04:49 PM
Hmm...well if the same old tired lot behind the camera are still there, then probably not.
If season nine saw a change in cast then a change in writers/directors should next be inline for the show to survive. The current lot behind the camera ran out of creative puff seasons ago.
Hell, I'd prefer the show just got canned and Skiffy tap Browder and Black on the shoulder and say..now while your here, why don't we revisit......

EV-IL! LOL. I get where you're going with that.

I'm enjoying the show overall. I really missed Vala when she was gone. yeah, I'm partial to Claudia but I'm also partial to Ben...Vala was just so over the top, it kept me interested. You never knew what she'd do next (think "Rygel/chiana").

I just watched a clip from Canada's "hypa-space" and there were interviews with all the cast. They all seemed very happy to be there, reinvigorated with season 9 and in awe of the fact that 10 years had gone by.

I do hope they get a better handle on Mitchell...Browder's a great actor. I don't expect the same that we got out of him in John Crichton--the stories on SG1 aren't as intensely personal or angst ridden or tortuous--but Cam Mitchell is likeable guy. I loved him in the early season but they turned him into too much of a Rambo as the show went on. I'd like a little more nice guy/by the book guy and a little less "let's wear leather" except for the pure aesthetics of that particular look. ;)

Trek_Girl42
May 1st, 2006, 05:57 PM
EV-IL! LOL. I get where you're going with that.

I'm enjoying the show overall. I really missed Vala when she was gone. yeah, I'm partial to Claudia but I'm also partial to Ben...Vala was just so over the top, it kept me interested. You never knew what she'd do next (think "Rygel/chiana").
I know.....I was surprised about how I missed Vala when she wasn't there. She really grew on me.

I just watched a clip from Canada's "hypa-space" and there were interviews with all the cast. They all seemed very happy to be there, reinvigorated with season 9 and in awe of the fact that 10 years had gone by.
I know, I especially noticed how thrilled RDA looked. You could tell that he really wanted to be there, so hopefully that bodes well for his appearences. :jack:

esoap524
May 1st, 2006, 06:02 PM
Ok...shanks and browder do look kind of alike in that photo, Trek_Girl42. Not that it's a bad thing

Gotta love that limited gene pool--I think Claudia Black doesn't mind it too much either!

I know, I haven't added anything intelligent here. Just looking at all the pretty...

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/Trek_Girl42/sg1-vancouversun.jpghttp://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/Trek_Girl42/sg1-vancouversun.jpg

prion
May 1st, 2006, 06:08 PM
Every show dies eventually.

Very true. Even Gunsmoke came to an end...

It's better to end the show on a good note, with fans wanting more and critics going 'darn shame' than watching a show die a horrible death. Seen enough of those, alas :(

the fifth man
May 1st, 2006, 08:13 PM
well hopefully stargate still has a few seasons left for it.

I think it does.:) Everyone involved just has to stay interested with what they are trying to create.

the fifth man
May 1st, 2006, 08:20 PM
I know, I especially noticed how thrilled RDA looked. You could tell that he really wanted to be there, so hopefully that bodes well for his appearences. :jack:

I sure hope so. I want to see a little more of the "old" O'Neill we all came to know and love.:)

Trek_Girl42
May 1st, 2006, 09:22 PM
Ok...shanks and browder do look kind of alike in that photo, Trek_Girl42. Not that it's a bad thing

Gotta love that limited gene pool--I think Claudia Black doesn't mind it too much either!

I know, I haven't added anything intelligent here. Just looking at all the pretty...

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/Trek_Girl42/sg1-vancouversun.jpghttp://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/Trek_Girl42/sg1-vancouversun.jpg (http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/Trek_Girl42/sg1-vancouversun.jpghttp://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j214/Trek_Girl42/sg1-vancouversun.jpg [/quo)

Lol, I noticed the same thing. Hey, if our limited gene pool looks like that we're not doing too badly.....;)

Teelie
May 1st, 2006, 10:16 PM
I'll keep watching as long as it's entertaining to me. :)

Anubis8886
May 2nd, 2006, 07:32 AM
I may not like vala but I'll keep watching it and buying it until its done
:jack_new_anime07: :sam59: :cameron21: :hammond15:
:apophis: :sokar: :yu: :anubis: :baal: :prioranime07: :docianime15:

camarogod69
May 5th, 2006, 03:15 PM
I look forward to how the Vala character will grow after she has her child things could get interesting.