This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mitchell Open Forum

Following a request related to the Vala Open Thread, this thread is being opened as a forum in which to discuss Cameron Mitchell in both the positive and negative senses. Just to explain and clarify: although there is already a discussion thread, it is bound to the appreciation thread and, as such, is predominantly for positive discussion. This thread, therefore, means that we can debate Mitchell related issues without derailing other non-related discussions.

Let it be noted that this thread is designed for the mature and sensible exchange of ideas, and that other posters should be respected at all times. All opinions regarding Mitchell are welcome, however, this is not a discussion about Ben Browder, solely about the character.
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Okie dokie, I'm double posting, I know (bad Tracy, bad, bad Tracy) but I wanted to keep the opening post as just that, an opening post which laid out the premise and ground rules. Now it's time for a Tracy rant.

I like Mitchell. I really do. He's funny and dippy, makes mistakes... he's human. But he's irresponsible and childish and puts his team in unnecessary danger. It is obvious that the writers originally wrote Mitchell as a Major, then changed his rank without changing character attributes, which has really damaged the character's believability. Instead of coming across as a Lt Colonel with a quirky sense of humour, he comes off as incompetant.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
      Okie dokie, I'm double posting, I know (bad Tracy, bad, bad Tracy) but I wanted to keep the opening post as just that, an opening post which laid out the premise and ground rules. Now it's time for a Tracy rant.

I like Mitchell. I really do. He's funny and dippy, makes mistakes... he's human. But he's irresponsible and childish and puts his team in unnecessary danger. It is obvious that the writers originally wrote Mitchell as a Major, then changed his rank without changing character attributes, which has really damaged the character's believability. Instead of coming across as a Lt Colonel with a quirky sense of humour, he comes off as incompetant.
      k, i'll help out this thread.

mitchell bores me.

that's all.

sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Hey Sally. So, why does Mitchell bore you? How could he be improved? Or is it simply cos he can't be shipped with Sam in Sally's world

Comment

Hmm... I didn't know that, but it really makes sense.

Overall, I do like Mitchell, but I really think the writers need to work on evening out his character. One minute he's talking about his Bible-thumping grandma, the next he's talking about some stewardess he met on a plane and slept with (the episode where his friend is in the hospital, I can't remember the title). I just really feel some of the comments (like the last one) are really unnecessary, and wish TPTB wouldn't throw them in there like that.

And then some moments I really enjoy his character, like the episode when he was stuck on the Sodan, and he talked about faith, made a joke about "Bones," etc. So really, they need to make up their mind about what they want to do with the character.
          Say No To Kirking: Join STAKS

Comment

Hey Sally. So, why does Mitchell bore you? How could he be improved? Or is it simply cos he can't be shipped with Sam in Sally's world
            he bores me because i don't really know him. i don't really know him because he's written all over the place. he started off earnest and sincere, then became fratboy and unpredictable.

how could he be improved? stop writing him as a caricature, and write the character. make him serious. stop writing him jack-lite.

and i *don't* want him shipped with sam!

the biggest issue i have with mitchell, though, is him having command of sg1. it should have stayed sam's. it's bad enough that the writers had sam leave and mitchell bring the group back together again, but it's another when he's so out of his league LEADING it. (just my opinion)

how's that, tracy?

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

I'm still utterly confused as how his Grandma fits into any of this. I've heard some interesting opinions about Mitchell, about how he is the ultimate writer's Gary Stu character.

Comment

I'm still utterly confused as how his Grandma fits into any of this. I've heard some interesting opinions about Mitchell, about how he is the ultimate writer's Gary Stu character.
                Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you. Basically I was just trying to say that even Mitchell's dialogue is very different from episode to episode, as if they can't decide what direction they want him to go in (fratboy vs. grandma's boy). (I probably didn't make much sense I guess! I'm tired... )

Comment

No, it's fine. I meant that I didn't see why the WRITERS put in the Grandma stuff, not you. But I agree. There's a lot of stuff and none of it makes any sense whatsoever, in my opinion.

Comment

Ok, thanks. I don't feel as silly then.

Comment

I like Mitchel. He's been poorly served by some of the scripts and stories, but that's nothing unique. He's given me enough good stuff to like.

I think he's good. He was very good in his first two eps, and particularly good in Colateral Damage. By 'good' I mean that I feel I was seeing a character, not just a blank slate cypher sort of thing. He has feelings, and I can see them bubbling under the surface. He's nice, he's eager and keen, and he's upbeat. I like that.

Because I like him I overlook some of the stupid things the writers have written him doing. I can't think of any offhand, but i know there have been a few. I don't like his frat-boy side, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I like characters better sometimes when they have unlikeable traits. More human, y'know?

He's probably never going to be my favourite. At the moment I like him less than the other three in SG-1, and less than Early Jack, but more than Late Jack.

Madeleine

Comment

I like Mitchell. I think his biggest problem is one that others have mentioned. He's unevenly written. Maybe it's because they decided to hold off the brunt of his characterization to the second half of the season instead of letting it flow from beginning to end, but it seems there's discrepencies in who he is. At first, he was a friendly fanboyish, but very military military man. I mean the snapping to attention in an instant. He can be lighthearted and joke around, but except under unusual circumstanced (bullets bounce) he's not prone to over excitement. Then, other times, he's somehow really hyper, but not in a way that makes sense given the situation. Some episodes, Mitchell reads an entire technical report of Sam's, or listens to her talk and doesn't understand everything, but manages to get a gist or at least enough to know the right questions. And, other times, it's like, "yeah, yeah, in one ear, out the other, and don't really care." And, not because she was any more technobabble or longwinded than usual. Although, to be fair, they've inexplicably have written Daniel as acting the same way in Ripple Effect.

I don't agree with some criticisms I've seen. That he has a need to play hero. Maybe the writer's have a need to write him as the hero, but I don't see this manifesting in a desire for the character to be a hero. Mitchell running ahead in Stronghold I didn't see as him having a need to be a big shot or get accolades, which is my definition of what wanting to be a hero is. I saw it first as a clumsy way of illustrating his already clumsy way of announcing to the audience his impatience earlier. And, of him thinking, thanks to the blessing of his friend that this wasn't a bad thing, and he should use it to his advantage. And, we can go in circles debating that point, but I mean, I think his way of thinking was along the lines of wanting to help Teal'c and just needing to work off some anger over his friend. The best attitude in which to enter a battle? No, but again I don't see it as he has some hero complex. And, Arthur's Mantle. Impulsive (and I've seen people disagree with this term, but I think there was a level of impulsiveness) because he didn't think it through. And, it was something that could have been expected -not being able to do anything with his intel- instead of some unforseen problem, which is why I think it was impulsive (although I admit when I first saw the episode, I thought it was a brilliant idea, and it was only when it was brought to my attention that I realized the pitfalls). But, I don't think he was thinking Me, Me, Me. He was thinking he needed to do something to help Teal'c. I think Mitchell is someone who can't stand inaction when there's a problem. And, I don't think that's a bad thing in itself, although it might manifest itself that way sometimes. Just like Daniel's need to talk isn't bad in itself, but could potentially cause trouble under the wrong circumstances.

And, I'll talk some about the other members' attitudes towards him (I see them differently than a lot of people) in another post.

So, I think the main problem is they don't know exactly who Mitchell is. The impatience thing, which is a very human flaw, and who wants a perfect character, should have been gradually introduced in throughout the season. Instead, we see Mitchell a pretty laid back character, going through the dregs of people available to him for his new team, going again and again to try and recruit the original SG1, patiently listening to Daniel lecture while Landry is ready to strangle him (Daniel) and patiently hanging around Daniel's office, without even the entertainment of a lecture until Daniel makes the Merlin discovery. Despite saying he was impatient to Landry as his kryptonite, he wasn't shown as a man who would be called an impatient person. Quite the opposite.
                        I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

I like Mitchell. I think the writers need to be more consistent with their writing at times but they are still fleshing Mitchell out as is Ben. I don't think he has done anything more stupid than the other 3. They all have done things they shouldn't have. Thank goodness or we wouldn't have any good stories. Flaws make for a good story. I liked flawed heroes. "Perfect" people are boring. Teal'c, Sam and Daniel are just as flawed as Mitchell. We are more use to them. Now we have to get use to Mitchell. Which for me is not hard. If Daniel hadn't brought the Ori here what would they be doing?

So let's give the writers a chance to flesh Mitchell out. Although I haven't had a problem with him. He is a great leader. He knows the strengths of his team. Does he have a goofy side? Yes, and I happen to like it. He can't be a serious person all the time. That calls for therapy.

Basically, I like Mitchell and I am looking forward to seeing him in season 10.

The greatest actor in the world can only work with what he is given. Were all the episodes well written? No. All tv shows have good and bad episodes it is a given. That doesn't bother me.

I loved Stronghold. One of my favorites in season 9. Mitchell had someone cover him when he went to kill the guy shooting at them. He saw an opportunity to go get Teal'c and he did. Jack would have done the same thing.

I like Teal'c and Mitchell. I like Sam and Mitchell. Daniel and Mitchell are a hoot together. 4th horseman II and Camelot were good Daniel and Mitchell eps. They should do more of them together. They play off each other well.

Sybil

Comment

It is obvious that the writers originally wrote Mitchell as a Major, then changed his rank without changing character attributes, which has really damaged the character's believability. Instead of coming across as a Lt Colonel with a quirky sense of humour, he comes off as incompetant.
                            I just wanted to respond to this. I don't agree at all that it's obvious that Mitchell was originally written as a major. As far as I can see, that's just fannish speculation. And I totally don't agree that he doesn't come across as a lt colonel with a quirky sense of humor. In fact, that's exactly how he comes across to me.

Comment

You know, I was just thinking of Mitchell in Stronghold, and was wondering if maybe him running off to get Teal'c had less to do with his hot headed self, and more to do with his need to save a friend (or a potential friend, which ever way you want to look at it), when there is one dying he cannot save back home.
                              Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                              X