This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vala Open Forum

Following recent conversations in other areas, this thread is being opened as a forum in which to discuss Vala in both the positive and negative senses. Just to explain and clarify: although there is already a discussion thread, it is bound to the appreciation thread and, as such, is predominantly for positive discussion. This thread, therefore, means that we can debate Vala related issues without derailing other non-related discussions.

Let it be noted that this thread is designed for the mature and sensible exchange of ideas, and that other posters should be respected at all times. All opinions regarding Vala are welcome, however, this is not a discussion about Claudia Black, solely about the character.
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

I haven't seen much of Vala yet, but from what I have seen I'm beginning to like her. She's a breath of fresh air to the show, IMO, that it needed at this point, and though I think she comes across as-- to quote Daniel-- a fruitcake, she's a very likeable fruitcake.

Comment

On the Blue Jello Corner Thread there is a bad fanfic being written that touches on the Sam/Vala relationship http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...=24515&page=62
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Is the bad fic still going, Mandy?

Comment

YAY good thread! Vala is awesome! *hugs Vala from Crusade*

Comment

Originally posted by Erised
            YAY good thread! Vala is awesome! *hugs Vala from Crusade*
            Yes, she is!!

I think my name and sig speak for themselves
            Spoiler:

Comment

I think she's definitely changed. I'm not convinced I'd call Vala awesome, rather an interesting addition to the team. She's been toned down somewhat, definitely better for the team dynamic, as somepeople have pointed out before. As much as I enjoyed Ties That Bind and other early season nine episodes, the Daniel/Vala heavy handed humour did overpower the episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                I think she's definitely changed. I'm not convinced I'd call Vala awesome, rather an interesting addition to the team. She's been toned down somewhat, definitely better for the team dynamic, as somepeople have pointed out before. As much as I enjoyed Ties That Bind and other early season nine episodes, the Daniel/Vala heavy handed humour did overpower the episodes.
                When somebody is good at heart, but the circumstances hardened such person and forced her to do things she probably hadn't been doing in a "pre-Goa'uld's host" life you can't really say that's she's changed seeing more positive side of her. She's definitely much closer to her true self now. Vala has been damaged and had to survive a lot, perhaps a little too much. I wonder how long it's gonna take for her to fully "recover", one season is definitely not enough

Comment

I like her but I don't trust her

What I mean by that is this: the way she's been written so far, I trust Vala not to deliberately hurt someone, and not allow someone to get hurt when she already knows it's an inevitable or likely consequence of something she's about to do. But I don't trust her not to let someone get hurt because she hasn't thought about the possible consequences... because she's focused on her own agenda.

But at the same time, she's capable of heroism and will put her own life in danger to avert something awful (Beachead) so she's not a simplistically selfish character.

That's where we are now. But in season 10 she may become more trustworthy in the general sense - i.e. her priorities will be her SG comrades and the wider interest. I am hoping for some good character development moments with Sam in particular.
                  scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                    Is the bad fic still going, Mandy?
                    I just updated with badness
                    scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by Formerhost
                      When somebody is good at heart, but the circumstances hardened such person and forced her to do things she probably hadn't been doing in a "pre-Goa'uld's host" life you can't really say that's she's changed seeing more positive side of her. She's definitely much closer to her true self now. Vala has been damaged and had to survive a lot, perhaps a little too much. I wonder how long it's gonna take for her to fully "recover", one season is definitely not enough
                      Definitely not!
                      I wonder how long it's gonna take til Vala collapse because of all the things she's been through!
                      Spoiler:

Comment

i wasn't sure about Vala at first coz i love sam and didn't think i'd like another female in the mix, but i must say i love Vala she brings lots of humour and when i saw her in SG1 i hadnt seen farscape so i see her as Vala firstly

But yep i really like the charecter

XXX

Comment

Originally posted by Aeryn/Vala
                          Definitely not!
                          I wonder how long it's gonna take til Vala collapse because of all the things she's been through!
                          I don't think this will happen.

First, this is Stargate and I don't think this really delves into things having that much emotional consequence. No problem with that, it's just the kind of show it is. And I prefer that, because I like the action/adventure/scifi/humor aspects of the show. Angst and deeply emotional scenes are fine in small doses, but they aren't what I tune in for. This is just addressing my preferences, I know there are many that differ with me.

Second, I don't think Vala would collapse. She seems to be able to take her hardships in stride, at least in public. I know we've seen her falter a few times, but I don't think we'll see her break down.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
                            On the Blue Jello Corner Thread there is a bad fanfic being written that touches on the Sam/Vala relationship http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...=24515&page=62
                            Thanks for the link

BTW, at another thread you said that Vala doesn't fit in Stargate. Could you explain it in a very detailed way why do you think so? Personally I think that she fits just fine And I'm sure season 10 is gonna prove it. Let's hope you're gonna change your mind after it's finished.

Comment

I love Vala. After several years, I think the team needed some new people to interact with. Because Vala and Sam are so different, I can see a really fun, quirky friendship developing. I think season 10 has great potential. I'm avoiding most spoilers, so I could be wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X