Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is SG1 Committing Genocide? ('Arthur's Mantle' SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is SG1 Committing Genocide? ('Arthur's Mantle' SPOILERS)

The definition of genocide is Deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group. So is sg1 committing genocide. Yes sg1 has the right to defend themselves but its still genocide by killing all of the ori. It would be like the americans killing off all of the germans during world war II, or killing off all of the vietmese during the vietnam war. So is sg1 committing genocide. The definition of genocide is Deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group. So they fit the defintion, regardless of the purpose, its still genocide.

Probably very true - but, as Atlantis has already proved, 'In space no-one can hear you scream "Geneva Convention"'
    I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Originally posted by mahram
      The definition of genocide is Deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group. So is sg1 committing genocide. Yes sg1 has the right to defend themselves but its still genocide by killing all of the ori. It would be like the americans killing off all of the germans during world war II, or killing off all of the vietmese during the vietnam war. So is sg1 committing genocide. The definition of genocide is Deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group. So they fit the defintion, regardless of the purpose, its still genocide.

The Ori are doing the same thing as well:

- "Worship us, or die"

I would say thats some form of Ethnic cleansing.

Its justified to use this weapon on them.
      Subspace Energy Technology Thread
      http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...68#post8685268

Comment

Daniel was quite clear that the device doesn't kill them, it just neutralizes them. It creates interferance on their wavelengths that prevents them from interacting with or affecting this plane of existence. They are still alive, just unable to exert influence or power in our reality. So there is no genocide, where they are trying to commit genocide is in Pegasus against the wraith.

Comment

but it traps them in some perpetual hell. Which is worse then death. My other question was when sg1 sent the ashen the gate address to a blackhole. Wiping out the ashen civilzation. Joe mentioned he wanted todo a trial episode where sg1 and earth was being trialed for genocide against the ashen. Was that also an act of genocide.

Originally posted by spg_1983
          Daniel was quite clear that the device doesn't kill them, it just neutralizes them. It creates interferance on their wavelengths that prevents them from interacting with or affecting this plane of existence. They are still alive, just unable to exert influence or power in our reality. So there is no genocide, where they are trying to commit genocide is in Pegasus against the wraith.

Comment

But its still genocide. Like I said it would be like us killing all the muslims in the world for 911 or all the germans for world war II. Do we kill all the germans b/c of the nazis. Of course not. Or in rawanda where the entire tutsi/huta people went on genocide killing spree. Do we justify killing all the tutsi or all the huta. Its still morally wrong. it reminds me of the ds9 episode, where the federation gave a plague to the founders. They even thought it was genocide.
            Originally posted by McSwift
            The Ori are doing the same thing as well:

- "Worship us, or die"

I would say thats some form of Ethnic cleansing.

Its justified to use this weapon on them.

Comment

SG-1 should use the weapon as a demonstration that the Ori are not gods. It might help convince their followers that their gods are false and they'd stop believing. Without believers the Ori's power would significantly reduce and they wouldn't have people to wage their holy war for them.

HERMIOD: 'Crap' indeed.

Comment

The short answer to this question is yes, buit dont worry, genecide is okay if you have good intentions, ahhh the hipocracy of morals.
                Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

but it traps them in some perpetual hell. Which is worse then death. My other question was when sg1 sent the ashen the gate address to a blackhole. Wiping out the ashen civilzation. Joe mentioned he wanted todo a trial episode where sg1 and earth was being trialed for genocide against the ashen. Was that also an act of genocide.
                  We don't know that they are trapped in a hell at all. You are assuming that. All we know is that the device prevents them from exerting powers on our plane of existence. You are assuming that it is painful to them, but we have no data towards that at all.

As for the Aschen. Its possible you could argue that it was a heinous act, and immoral, but it was not genocide. It was not systematic, nor aimds at wiping out their entire civilization that spanned many worlds already. Now if they deliberatly went to each world and dialed the gates to black holes and took off, leaving the Aschen worlds to all be destroyed, then yes you could argue that would be genocide.

Comment

mahram, use the edit button. there is no need to double post is there?

And since we aren't actually killing them, it can't be considered genocide.
                    We are simply making sure they can't use their powers as fireskulls against us. It doesn't harm them in the way their followers could harm us so if we show them that we can make sure that the Ori stop influencing them, they might put down their weapons and stop fighting.
                    error: signature not found

Comment

But its still genocide. Like I said it would be like us killing all the muslims in the world for 911 or all the germans for world war II. Do we kill all the germans b/c of the nazis. Of course not. Or in rawanda where the entire tutsi/huta people went on genocide killing spree. Do we justify killing all the tutsi or all the huta. Its still morally wrong. it reminds me of the ds9 episode, where the federation gave a plague to the founders. They even thought it was genocide.
                      You are still not understanding the nature of the device. It does not kill them. To use a real world comparison like you used. It would be akin to the Allied powers dismantaling the german military machine after WWII and rendering them impotent to prevent the Nzi's from rising up again and starting wars once again. We did not go in and kill every last german, we rendered the Nazis unable to rise up again. Its the same deal with the Ori. You could liken them to the Nazi's. The device merely renders them unable to interfere with our plane and our affairs.

Comment

Your right on the money 1983. But my thoughts are also that if a enemy is threating your very exsistence, to the point of possible totally wiping you and your race or kind out, there should be no resolve in winning that war, regardless of your means. The Ori are evil and want to destroy us if we do not follow them. The Aschen were slowly going to wipe us out till we existed no more, so I think you have to not only push these evil forces away not just from your borders, but away for good. They started it and we plan to finish it! Lets not forget that its only a tv show to and I cant believe im even arguing this, but hey its a slow day at work.

Comment

Maybe they are going to be committing genocide where the Ori are concerned. But literally, it is an "us or them" situation.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

In a war like this there is no room for pacifists.
                            Us or them...if you leave a few behind, they'll find a way to strike back.

Is it genocide? Yup. It's just a necessary evil.
                            It feels good to be alive.
                            Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

No, it's not genocide. We're not wiping out the Orii. We're denying their followers the ability to tap into the Orii powers. If they want to go on preaching Origin, they can do so without Orii powers. They won't be able to inflict plagues on other societies, etc and so forth.

As for whether the device's usage on the Orii is genocide... or putting them in hell...

... the alterans are, for the most part, not coming into our realm. They're happy as can be. Are they in hell too? I think not.

Comment

Working...
                              X