This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serial to Episodes back to Serial Structure

In the early era of Science Fiction movies (1930s) Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon were serialized multi-episode movies that told a more or less ongoing story. A chapter of one of the stories might have 6 or 7 eisodes, but the stories had beginnings, middles and ends to them. When television became a primary staple for sci fi in the late 60s, it reflected TV philosophy of the times, get the audience to love your characters, tell 40 minute stories that are more or less self contained and keep people coming back to what is familiar. Multiple writers wrote the Trek shows of the time and true continuity was not highly important. There was the somewhat vague 5 year mission, but that was as much of a destination as the show had.

When Star Trek, the next generation came out in the late 80s, the old Trek formula was followed pretty closely. Individual characters had some progression, but the overall story was still just a framework for us to get involved with the characters and keep tuning in.

When J. Michael Straczynski conceived the 5 year story arc of Babylon 5 in the late 80s, he was either starting (or participating in depending on how you sketch out history) the big change in televsion science fiction, a TV scif fi show where characters, go through huge transformations. Some die. Some lose their souls. Others find theirs. And the story advances toward something you can anticipate.

Then in rapid fire order, serial TV sci fi came back.

DS-9 was a hybrid of old and new, starting out (1993) with an unfamiliar Trek situation, but with no particular direction, still focused on characters and their progressions as ends in themselves.

In the meantimes, Babylon 5's first movie prequel (The Gathering) was released (1993) and a year later, began the 5 year story arc with most of the writing being done by one person, JMS himself.

In 1995, Trek: Voyager began with the most structured Trek yet, a story with a unified direction and plot structure: getting home.

Then in 1997, DS9 began its Dominion war story arc, which many claim to be the best three years of TV Science Fiction ever.

In that same year, Stargate SG-1 began its run with an immediately defined direction (defeating the Goa'uld) and a story that continued to advance toward that end for 8 seasons..... And unlike those old days of 40 minutes of familiarity, characters have died, moved on and the story has progressed.

So here's to ADVANCING THE STORY... and to the writers who can see the end before they begin......

I have to say that the ones that focus on what is going on rather than racing through it works much better, SG1 has lost that recently IMO, but DS-9 certainly brought things back to form, and the final three years, I would agree, they may be the best Sci Fi years ever. Thats why I like Sci-fi and fantasy shows, or shows that get your mind working (Like Lost) you not only get to know the story well, but the characters too.
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

SG1 has never been that story driven, much to my disappointment.

I really hoped that Atlantis would fix this, being isolated and everything, but nooooope, stand alone-episodes non-stop

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs

I really hoped that Atlantis would fix this, being isolated and everything, but nooooope, stand alone-episodes non-stop
        Ceratinly not as story driven as B5, but the progression of understanding and the gradual build up of resources to the defeat of the Goa'uld at the end of season 8 certainly has a beginning and an end. Those who love the familiar characters want it to go on, of course, but the main story ended with 8 IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by kmiller1610
          Ceratinly not as story driven as B5, but the progression of understanding and the gradual build up of resources to the defeat of the Goa'uld at the end of season 8 certainly has a beginning and an end. Those who love the familiar characters want it to go on, of course, but the main story ended with 8 IMHO.
          You're quite right, to a point. But now a new main story has begun.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
            You're quite right, to a point. But now a new main story has begun.
            Yes, but here you have a movie and mythos, Chariots of the Gods, which establishes both structure and direction for the whole series. The questions of Alien astronauts and idea of the stargate provide structure, a connection to our own history and a great vehicle for story telling.

I remember watching the first season of Voyager, which had some really bad acting and worse stories, but the plot idea of being really lost in space gave the series a big question to answer. Can we get back? When they hit the episode about the reverse prime directive (Prime Factors), it struck me that this is new and fresh and actually more connected to the idea of going where no man has gone before than any of the other series. I stuck with the whole series because I wanted to see what would happen.

Comment

Two (one?) shows to add to your list of greater than year-long story arcs are: Buffy and Angel.

IMO, they showed the best arcs over time, as well as character development. (Willow from geek to full blown witch, to magick junkie).

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs

Perhaps if you're only in it for plot arc, but with character development with some of the SGA characters and the relationships between team members, the arc has been pretty interesting to watch generally. With one notable exception I'm not going to expand upon right now.

Comment

Working...
                X