Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Writer's Mistake? Vala Communicating in the Ori Galaxy?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Writer's Mistake? Vala Communicating in the Ori Galaxy?

Is just me or did the writers make a big mistake in season 9 when they sent Vala to the Ori galaxy. In the first episode of Season 9 when Daniel and Vala's minds are transported to the Ori galaxy by the ancient device, they run into a local couple that said some stange saying that didnt make a lot of sense and when vala asked daniel what it ment, he said that they must be speaking in ancient and the communication device is translating it to english.

That means that the Ori followers speak only ancient, thus when Vala was sent to their galaxy and started her new life in the village, the villagers shouldnt have been able to understand her and she wouldnt be able to understand them since she cant speak ancient. Yet she blend right in and all of a sudden everyone speaks english.

Did anyone else catch this mistake or do you have any explaination for it?

Here are a couple of ideas of what happened.

A) Plot hole

B) Being that Vala traveled to the Orii galaxy though a Stargate, the gate itself begins to translate for her in her mind. Kind of like what happens when people move about in the Milky Way or Peg.

C) The Orii are translating for her because they want to use her for their Super Baby Plan.

Any one of these could work, though we will likely never find out what actually happened.

Though my grip is with the Book of Origin. What language is it written in? Do they mass produce copies in the written language of the people that are getting it? In many episodes we have seen that the written language is different then the spoke one, so what's going on there. And who is making the books? The Orii don't seem to let people become industrialized enough to have printing presses. And if they did that would be pretty dangerous for them. Example, German Monk Martin Luther was able to spread his thoughts on religion because of the Printing Press. He is basically the person that broke up Christendom. If it wasn't for the printing press he would have been deemed a heretic and his story would have ended there.
    Last edited by Amanda Eros; 01 April 2006, 06:06 PM.

Comment

There are a lot of plotholes regarding language, and I think that at some point that ought to be addressed.

Comment

Well, as far as I know the Catholic church didn't have these creepy guys with super powers running around making sure everyone was following them.

Comment

the winner is C

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
            Well, as far as I know the Catholic church didn't have these creepy guys with super powers running around making sure everyone was following them.

ori are more direct.

churches are like "believe in our god or you'll go to hell"

WHATEVER DUDES!!!!!

Comment

Ugh! I hope you guys are just joking around. I really just used that as an example to show how dangerous certain technologies can be. I don't think that the people in the Orii galaxy are allowed to have anything other than the Book of Origion on their shelves. It must come from somewhere, and since they were handing out so many of them it is safe to say they aren't hand written. Though how are they sending them out in the right languages.

Comment

Maybe a bunch of Priors make them.

Comment

The Chinese were mass printing books back during same time of the European middle ages. You don't need to have a modern printing press to mass produce books...
                  http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
                  http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda Eros
                    C) The Orii are translating for her because they want to use her for their Super Baby Plan.
                    I'd say this one sounds very likely.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I like the idea that the stargate (DHD) could be a universal translator but it would solve one plot hole (massive one at that) but cause others like russians speaking russian in series 5 and gulds speaking guld

Comment

this is one thing that has been mentioned before but than in other forms.
                        Almost all aliens they encounter speak english, saves allot of time in an episode and some are just to sketch an impression, like the Asgard also have their own language. But if i had to choose it would be C. Ori gave her the language ability for the purpose of her Ori-baby.

Comment

I picked up on that too, but I was just too lazy to start a thread on it

Comment

Or they could go the route of Vala been able to speak and understand spoken Ancient as a side effect of the communicator device. After all, it was, presumably, connected 'directly' (via subspace or what have you) to her brain.

That would give her another thing in common with Daniel, as a 'natural' Ancient speaker

Comment

Originally posted by YodaMate
                              Or they could go the route of Vala been able to speak and understand spoken Ancient as a side effect of the communicator device. After all, it was, presumably, connected 'directly' (via subspace or what have you) to her brain.

That would give her another thing in common with Daniel, as a 'natural' Ancient speaker
                              This is very probable. GREEN.

Comment

Working...
                              X