This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Vala...?

Does anyone have any ideas why the Orii would have chosen Vala to have their Oracle baby? That's a pretty big risk on their part, yeah I know it is a plot device for tptb, but think of it. Vala is very much against the Orii coming to power in the Milky Way. Since the Oracle is her daughter couldn't she have some influence over her? Perhaps even turn her? Or were they hoping the daughter would convince the mother? Or perhaps they want the Oracle to become more convicted when she finds out that her Mom is a cheep, thieving, well you know. What do you think?

Originally posted by Amanda Eros
    Does anyone have any ideas why the Orii would have chosen Vala to have their Oracle baby? That's a pretty big risk on their part, yeah I know it is a plot device for tptb, but think of it. Vala is very much against the Orii coming to power in the Milky Way. Since the Oracle is her daughter couldn't she have some influence over here? Perhaps even turn her? Or were they hoping the daughter would convince the mother? Or perhaps they want the Oracle to become more convicted when she finds out that her Mom is a cheep, thieving, well you know. What do you think?
    Well you have some very good ideas as to why the Ori chose Vala as the vessel for the Oracle, however I have to take exception to your last line. Vala is not a cheap, thieving, "you know what".....she saved us from the original Ori attempt of building the giant gate, and tried to stop the invasion force. Please try to remember that Vala was the host to a Goa'uld, and that is more than enough to change anyone. I think she has proven her worth to the Tauri and to SG-1. But that's just my opinion.....I know everyone on the Forum has many opinions about Vala, and that's fine. It wouldn't be much fun to discuss things if we all agreed, right?
    On fighting:
    Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
    Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

There was also the possibility that Vala might've found a way to return to the Milky Way before she found out she's preggers. That way, they've had their greatest weapon in enemy territory before they even realized it.

There's only us,
      There's only this
      Forget regret, or life is yours to miss
      No other road,
      No other way
      No day but today...

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
        Well you have some very good ideas as to why the Ori chose Vala as the vessel for the Oracle, however I have to take exception to your last line. Vala is not a cheap, thieving, "you know what".....she saved us from the original Ori attempt of building the giant gate, and tried to stop the invasion force. Please try to remember that Vala was the host to a Goa'uld, and that is more than enough to change anyone. I think she has proven her worth to the Tauri and to SG-1. But that's just my opinion.....I know everyone on the Forum has many opinions about Vala, and that's fine. It wouldn't be much fun to discuss things if we all agreed, right?
        I pretty much agree with you, Lida. Vala has come a long way in her short time on the show. And I expect that transformation to continue in season 10. In the end, I think she will prove to be an indispensible ally.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

maybe it's part of a plan to quell resisitence....depend on a parent's love for their child to 'turn' the rebels???

(although, i doubt the boys thought that far ahead, it is just a plot device brought about by CB's real life situation. the actress was pregnant, they wanted her in the eps, apparantly didn't want to shoot around baby, thus made the show fit the baby)
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I also don't know why the Ori would willingly impregnate an unbeliever with their SuperBaby (TM). It's either an obvious logical inconsistency TPTB put in just to write CB's pregnancy into the show or there is a reason and it will be explained in season 10. I'm leaning toward the former but will hold out for the latter.

Comment

Yes, she was a host to a Gau'old, but didn't she also keep acting like one afterwards too? Even had an outfit made so that she could sound like one, then there was the whole Ties that Bind that she stole the necklace from the guy who she also stole those bracelets from, that she was sleeping with for a while. In order to get treasure by tricking Daniel. Whom she met when she stole a ship that she left it's crew for dead in order to make a good profit.

She basically saved everyone from that first super gate because she was annoyed that everyone was ignoring her. She went over to the other ship to prove that she had an idea and basically said, "I told you so" to Daniel. She didn't plan to get tossed into the other galaxy, that happened by chance.

If Vala has proven anything to us, is that she is very resourceful. She is an extremely good actress and is completely capable of manipulating a situation to her advantage. Just look at the tavern scene when her husband found her at the communication device. I don't think she's changed very much. The Orii pose a threat to her life style, and she has been biding her time trying to figure out what to do. Besides after looking at her history, what should her daughter think about her. Yes mom was in a bad situation, she got out of it and was given a second chance. What did she do with that second chance?
              Last edited by Amanda Eros; 30 March 2006, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                (although, i doubt the boys thought that far ahead, it is just a plot device brought about by CB's real life situation. the actress was pregnant, they wanted her in the eps, apparantly didn't want to shoot around baby, thus made the show fit the baby)
                You've hit the nail on the head.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Does anyone have any ideas why the Orii would have chosen Vala to have their Oracle baby? That's a pretty big risk on their part, yeah I know it is a plot device for tptb, but think of it. Vala is very much against the Orii coming to power in the Milky Way. Since the Oracle is her daughter couldn't she have some influence over her? Perhaps even turn her? Or were they hoping the daughter would convince the mother? Or perhaps they want the Oracle to become more convicted when she finds out that her Mom is a cheep, thieving, well you know. What do you think?
                  You're right that it started as a plot device, but I think it can be rationalised in a couple of ways. Firstly, the Ori are all about Power. Implanting the 'unworthy unbeliever' is an ultimate expression of power. They're treating Vala as a host, to be used and thrown away, in the same way that the Goa'uld used her as a host. I'm hoping that's an angle that will feed into Vala's psychological reaction to what's happened to her.

Secondly, there's an obvious story reason why the Ori chose Vala in particular: Daniel. The Ori know that Vala is somehow connected to Daniel, and his reaction to the burning would suggest to the Ori that she matters to him. Daniel is the one who stood up to them and confronted them with his belief in Free Will. The Ori may also know, or sense, that he was once ascended. They see Daniel as a threat. In a sense, they may have invaded Vala's Free Will in order to get to Daniel.

Comment

Originally posted by Piratejenna
                    You're right that it started as a plot device, but I think it can be rationalised in a couple of ways. Firstly, the Ori are all about Power. Implanting the 'unworthy unbeliever' is an ultimate expression of power. They're treating Vala as a host, to be used and thrown away, in the same way that the Goa'uld used her as a host. I'm hoping that's an angle that will feed into Vala's psychological reaction to what's happened to her.

Secondly, there's an obvious story reason why the Ori chose Vala in particular: Daniel. The Ori know that Vala is somehow connected to Daniel, and his reaction to the burning would suggest to the Ori that she matters to him. Daniel is the one who stood up to them and confronted them with his belief in Free Will. The Ori may also know, or sense, that he was once ascended. They see Daniel as a threat. In a sense, they may have invaded Vala's Free Will in order to get to Daniel.
                    Good idea!
                    http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
                    http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

I'm guessing that it could be about Daniel as well... remember, the Ori didn't look that very keen on somone who fights with their own weapons (the book of origin), and actually makes some sense... he's a threat... and since Vala was with him, they know that if they can get to her, they could possibly get to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Piratejenna

Maybe and also beeing a host to a Gau'old in her past will make the child even more stronger??? could it be?

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
                          Agree completely. BTW, the fact that Vala used to be a Goa'uld host may be quite important here, the naquadah in her blood and ability to use Goa'uld technology. She may pass some of it to her daughter.

Comment

Yes, she was a host to a Gau'old, but didn't she also keep acting like one afterwards too? Even had an outfit made so that she could sound like one, then there was the whole Powers that Be that she stole the necklace from the guy who she also stole those bracelets from, that she was sleeping with for a while.
                            Yeah, right, in his dreams...

BTW, it was The Ties That Bind, not The Powers That Be. Don't confuse episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by valaCB
                              Maybe and also beeing a host to a Gau'old in her past will make the child even more stronger??? could it be?
                              Thats what I was thinking, we've seen that former hosts retain the memories of their symbiote, so its possible that the Ori used Vala because she knows things about the milky way galaxy that no Ori follower would know and she would pass that on to her child in the form of genetic memory.

Comment

Working...
                              X