the Dharma island = the Cube? - mild spoiler of 3/29 ep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the Dharma island = the Cube? - mild spoiler of 3/29 ep

So with the food drop discovered and the apparent automation of the hatch systems (or perhaps somebody in another area triggering something) I started thinking there is a parallel tween Lost and The Cube.

Don't know if anybody has ever seen it. A great little Canadian flick about a group of folks that wake up in a room. Turns out they're in a room in a cube of rooms that move and are randomly trapped. They've got to use clues in the room to find a way to an exit.

At one point, one of the characters implies that the Cube was at one point a gov't project that went missing but somehow still gets funding and personel and people are still kidnapped to be put in the cube despite the fact nobody knows that the project is still active and nobody seems to be controlling it. Just a mass of beaurocracy churning wheels because that's what it's supposed to do.

yes there were 2 really crappy sequels (well sequel and prequel) but I pretend they don't exist.

I'm sure others have made such parallels to others movies/books/tv they've seen, but this is the one that grabbed me.
    Thanks!
    Jordan

my page
    My LJ
    From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Cube Zero wasn't so bad

The idea of a 'rats in a maze' scenario isn't new to Lost, and is a timeless idea as well. So could it be similar? Sure. Is there a direct connection? doubtful.
    "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Originally posted by yaaayoubetcha
      At one point, one of the characters implies that the Cube was at one point a gov't project that went missing but somehow still gets funding and personel and people are still kidnapped to be put in the cube despite the fact nobody knows that the project is still active and nobody seems to be controlling it. Just a mass of beaurocracy churning wheels because that's what it's supposed to do.
      That's pretty much what I believe is going on. Once this Island and the experiments being conducted there must have served some kind of definite purpose, but now that purpose has been lost and things are just being done for the sake of being done.

Fun fact: the character in Cube that implied that was played by Stargate's own David Hewlitt, in his younger, less manic days.
      Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
      I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
      What have these years left to me?
      Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Comment

Originally posted by Thermonuclearboy

Fun fact: the character in Cube that implied that was played by Stargate's own David Hewlitt, in his younger, less manic days.
        He's the reason I rented it originally, actually. It was when Traders was on Global (if you're in Canada) and I really loved his character in that show.
        Thanks!
        Jordan

my page
        My LJ
        From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

I liked all 3 films

The first was the best though with Cube 2 being the worst.

Cube Zero was a little like Lost I guess - answers a few questions and raises a lot more...

Comment

Wow...I've been thinking about some similarities between Cube and Lost for a little while now!!! Green for you!
            http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Working...
            X