PDA

View Full Version : Baal as a hero?

aspiringsoapwriter
March 29th, 2006, 03:27 PM
I think I read somewhere that Baal was beginning to like or appreciate humans. It seems to me that the writers are only keeping him around in order to keep a Gaoul. What I'd love to happen is that Baal uses his considerable techonology against the Ori. Maybe he gets killed saving Earth, SG-1, etc. That would mean that we'd see even the good come out of the evil Baal. It would certainly be a shocker and a great season ending, helping SG-1 further its means against the Ori, but having his character die in the process.

E

Insipid
March 29th, 2006, 03:32 PM
He's far too routed in his own agenda.

aspiringsoapwriter
March 29th, 2006, 03:35 PM
I agree - his own agenda is important for him, but if there is no Earth, there is no other agenda...

Insipid
March 29th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Sure there is, there's a big honking galaxy full of planets for him to be all "agenda-y" on.

It's just that if Earth's destroyed, then there's no show, so ain't gonna happen.

Major_Griff
March 29th, 2006, 04:11 PM
How about we discover the next magic plot device! Some Furling weapon that can detect and destroy all clones of a certain person given a sample of said person's DNA. That way we can get rid of the damned clones and have Lord Ba'al become more interesting again! (Not that I didn't like his S9 appearences, but the whole clone thing got old once he died like EIGHTY straight times!)

EDIT:: Oh yeah and have him face of against O'Neill a few more times!

ToasterOnFire
March 29th, 2006, 04:17 PM
He's just faking it to get with Sam. :baal10:/:sam:

:D

Major_Griff
March 29th, 2006, 04:20 PM
He's just faking it to get with Sam. :baal10:/:sam:

:D

Don't worry Ba'am will one day come to be.

Ancient_Chemist
March 29th, 2006, 09:42 PM
You are all forget he is goa'ld, nothing by far will ever change that. He might be dressed nice and seem momentarily kind, but he is goa'uld. Goa'uld will only do something that suits their adgenda.... remember our friend Apophis. He was Sokara's underlying and then eventually went on to replace him inheriting is weapons, troops, territory. I would be really werry if Ba'al ever helped SG1. There is No Free Lunch.

the fifth man
March 29th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Ba'al will never become a "good guy". For one, he's Goa'uld (that should say enough on it's own).;) He's only helped us in the past because, at the time, his goals were in line with our interests. If he had the chance, I'm sure he'd still rid the galaxy of SG-1.

Besides, I like Ba'al better as a bad guy anyways. He's so much more interesting that way.:)

Blitz
March 30th, 2006, 02:57 AM
Just because hes a snake doesnt mean a thing!
Havnt you people heard of repenting?

Yes it may be in his agenda to help us, but its also to save people.
I can see in all likelyhood Baal helping us...directly or indirectly.

Chaos18
March 30th, 2006, 02:57 AM
well in a way Baal could die for earth.

when u think about it.

maybe the ori make a fool out of Baal and the only way of Baal payback the Ori would be to sacrufice his life.

but i doubt it.

but it would be great to see at least 1 kind of good Goauld?

merchut
March 30th, 2006, 04:05 AM
overall baal is pretty badass.
one ot the lone survivors of a group of evil interstellar "gods", and he still remains very powerful even though he's being hunted everywhere. also he's made it near to impossible to get rid of his presence with all the back ups of himself he's made (which is sort of like having your mind stored away safely which is sort of like the ancient repository.....which is also very cool). he plays whatever side of the board he wants; good, bad, businessman. he's got his own agenda, which is pretty completely unclear at the moment, but still has the resources to do whatever he wants.
i mean come on, badass!

Mickey23
March 30th, 2006, 04:11 AM
Well, we sort of have/had the "good Goa'uld" with the Tok'ra, even though like most Goa'uld they were only out to do what was best for them. And having a "good" Ba'al would take away from his character. He is waaay cooler as a baddie like in Abyss (and dressed better too). Although maybe we will have a "good" Ba'al clone because the cloning process went awry. Then having good and bad Ba'al face off would be cool and we would know who is who. The good one can become our ally and give us the info the real Ba'al would never.

FallenAngelII
March 30th, 2006, 05:23 AM
You are all forget he is goa'ld, nothing by far will ever change that. He might be dressed nice and seem momentarily kind, but he is goa'uld. Goa'uld will only do something that suits their adgenda.... remember our friend Apophis. He was Sokara's underlying and then eventually went on to replace him inheriting is weapons, troops, territory. I would be really werry if Ba'al ever helped SG1. There is No Free Lunch.

Apophis pretended to be Sokar's underlind after being captured and tortured by him. Hence the need for that mask.

Anyway, Ba'al has never been truly evil. Sure, he tortured Jack. But so have countless others. Landry tortured Nerus (witholding food)!

Sure, he's not irked to kill off people who are of no use to him. Hammond wanted to destroy all of Abydos! Wah wah wah.

He's never been truly evil.

Also, not all Goa'uld are inherently evil and can never be cured of their wicked ways. The one in "Fallout", for example, fell in love with Jonas (who wouldn't) and sacrificed herself to save Kelowna and then her host.

The Prophet
March 30th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Maybe an Anit-Hero? A villainesque figure who is forced to do the right thing, possibly for the wrong reasons (such as self-preservation).

To me, he sounds like Legion in the Bible, so to speak, where:

Beware, Bible Spoilers! :eek: :p

Legion, also known as the Gadarene demon, or is translated as Lots, is a demon found in the Christian Bible in Mark 5:9 and Luke 8:30. A parallel version of the story can be found in Matthew 8:28-34, but this version does not contain the name "Legion" and tells of two men, not just one, possessed by a multitude of demons. In the story, Jesus travelled to "the country of the Gadarenes" (Gergesenes in Matthew) and met a man possessed by an evil spirit, which spoke to Jesus in a conversation. The most commonly quoted version is found in Mark 5:9:

And he asked him, What is thy name? And he answered, saying, My name is Legion: for we are many. (KJV)
Another version of the quote is in Luke 8:30:

And Jesus asked him, saying, What is thy name? And he said, Legion: because many devils were entered into him. (KJV)
The demons that composed Legion were aware of the tremendous power of Jesus, and begged to be spared from being tossed back into the bottomless pit of hell. Jesus instead cast the demons out of the man and, granting their request, allowed them to indwell a herd of pigs. The pigs then drowned themselves in the Sea of Galilee.

To an extent, mind you...

Chaos18
March 30th, 2006, 07:02 AM
in this new interview from the actor that plays Baal.

look at this link

at the bottom

it will tell u

Beware spoilers

Simon also said that he is returning to the set of Stargate to film another episode in a couple of weeks. (It is possible that this will be episode seven, "Counterstrike.") "It's a pretty big storyline, and they can't just leave it," Simon said. "... It's always been insinuated that Baal will help SG-1 fight bigger, badder guys."

Platschu
March 30th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Baal is a Cylon! ;)

Peoples_General
March 30th, 2006, 08:14 AM
I think I read somewhere that Baal was beginning to like or appreciate humans. It seems to me that the writers are only keeping him around in order to keep a Gaoul. What I'd love to happen is that Baal uses his considerable techonology against the Ori. Maybe he gets killed saving Earth, SG-1, etc. That would mean that we'd see even the good come out of the evil Baal. It would certainly be a shocker and a great season ending, helping SG-1 further its means against the Ori, but having his character die in the process.

E

It would be good for a significant character development. Remeber in Babylon 5 when G'Kar is portrayed as villainish but then when the Narn-Centauri war erupted he became an admirable heroic figure. While Londo went from being a bafoonish comical character and transforms into a tragic figure.

Or as in Xena/Hercules... the character of Aries the Greek God-of-War went from being arch villain to a good guy helping out the heros against ultra-evil such as their fight against the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse as well as Dahak the God-of-Evil.

I think of Ba'al as being a lot like Aries from the Xena/Hercules universe.

Bragi
March 30th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Who else but Ba'al?

*It's Ba'al, it's Ba'al
Giggity-giggity-goo!*

harlen
March 30th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Baal will always be a bad ass, but thats not going to stop him from helping us in the fight against the ori. The ori are now in the milky way galaxy and we dont have a way of defeating them just yet. So the ori are also baal's problem at the moment. So Im sure he'll come out of hiding and at least help upgrade the jaffa ships and possibly the earth ships. Im sure the jaffa ships arent operating at full power without a goauld around. Why would u give your ememy a possible way of defeating you, the jaffa werent be trusted. So without a doubt Im sure the hataks are much more advanced then we seen in the season nine finale. The weapons and sheids must be greater than we seen in that battle.

If I were a goauld I would never give the jaffa with a ship that has full power, maybe half the power or not even.

the fifth man
March 30th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Even if Ba'al does end up helping the SGC and Earth this season, it won't be because of a change of heart. It will be because it suits Ba'al's own needs or goals, such as self-preservation. And for no other reason.

FallenAngelII
March 31st, 2006, 12:33 AM
It would be good for a significant character development. Remeber in Babylon 5 when G'Kar is portrayed as villainish but then when the Narn-Centauri war erupted he became an admirable heroic figure. While Londo went from being a bafoonish comical character and transforms into a tragic figure.

Or as in Xena/Hercules... the character of Aries the Greek God-of-War went from being arch villain to a good guy helping out the heros against ultra-evil such as their fight against the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse as well as Dahak the God-of-Evil.

I think of Ba'al as being a lot like Aries from the Xena/Hercules universe.

Not to mention the battle against Athena.

jazz!
March 31st, 2006, 02:02 AM
I don't think I want to see him transform to all-round Good Guy but I most definately want to see him continue the friendly teamwork-like rapport from Reckoning, when he, very sincerely, said 'Good Luck'...

...yep, a more talkative Ba'al BUT not your 'Friendly Neighbourhood Goa'uld'

Lida
March 31st, 2006, 06:03 AM
I don't think I want to see him transform to all-round Good Guy but I most definately want to see him continue the friendly teamwork-like rapport from Reckoning, when he, very sincerely, said 'Good Luck'...

...yep, a more talkative Ba'al BUT not your 'Friendly Neighbourhood Goa'uld'

Agreed. I don't think Baal would have the same dramatic impact as a "good guy". We need to keep guessing which side he's really own....well, we do know that. He's on his OWN side and that's where I'd like to keep it.

Would I occasionaly like to see him team up with SG1 in sticky situations...yes, but when the crisis is resolved, I want the good ole Baal double cross. ;)

sg-1fanintn
March 31st, 2006, 04:20 PM
I don't think Ba'al will ever be a hero.....but I'll have to admit, he's my favorite Goa'uld, if it's actually possible to have a favorite. The reason? He's more adaptable than the others. With most of them, it's their way or no way. Ba'al sees it differently, and I think that's why he survived the purge of many of the system lords. Ba'al realizes that conditions change, and he's smart enough to adapt to the situation and use it to his advantage. When he was working for Anubis, you could see in his eyes how wrong he thought old 'Nuby was for using only the old methods to conquer civilizations.

Ba'al was smart enough to escape to Earth and figure out how to utilize business to gain power. Ah, there's still a lot of storyline left in this guy!

Gee.....you'd think I actually liked the guy or something! I don't. Cliff Simon--yes. Ba'al--no. But you have to admire Ba'al for his smarts. He just has more savoir faire than the rest of the Goa'uld.

talyn2k1
April 1st, 2006, 01:08 AM
My two favourite Goa`uld characters have also been Yu and Ba`al because all the other Goa`uld are 1-dimensional bad guys.
They were all: You will worship me I am your god, you will all meet your doom, I don`t care if helping you will help me I`m still going to try and kill you.

Whereas Ba`al and Yu have been the only ones to have the intelligence to realise that on occasion their own goals and interests coincided with those of SG-1 and that working with them would be good for them in the short term and then they honourably go their separate ways at the end of the episode only to be mortal enemies in the next episode. It keeps you guessing whereas with other Goa`uld you always knew what they were going to do.

It`s a shame they killed of Yu, but I think Ba`al is a slightly better character so i`ll not be crying into my symbiote soup.

Mirel
April 1st, 2006, 01:43 AM
Baal will always be a bad ass, but thats not going to stop him from helping us in the fight against the ori. The ori are now in the milky way galaxy and we dont have a way of defeating them just yet. So the ori are also baal's problem at the moment. So Im sure he'll come out of hiding and at least help upgrade the jaffa ships and possibly the earth ships. Im sure the jaffa ships arent operating at full power without a goauld around. Why would u give your ememy a possible way of defeating you, the jaffa werent be trusted. So without a doubt Im sure the hataks are much more advanced then we seen in the season nine finale. The weapons and sheids must be greater than we seen in that battle.

If I were a goauld I would never give the jaffa with a ship that has full power, maybe half the power or not even.

The goa'uld didn't give the jaffa the ships. When the goa'uld were defeated by the replicators, the Dakara weapon activated, and the replicators were defeated too. Then the ships were left, and the Jaffa and the Lucian Alliance took them.

FallenAngelII
April 1st, 2006, 02:44 AM
The goa'uld didn't give the jaffa the ships. When the goa'uld were defeated by the replicators, the Dakara weapon activated, and the replicators were defeated too. Then the ships were left, and the Jaffa and the Lucian Alliance took them.

I think he meant as in "What if...". Like, what if a troupe of Jaffa rebelled and stole a Ha'tak? What if a System Lord was killed? Of course they wouldn't want a bunch of Jaffa to be able to run the thing at full power.

And if they can make small machines such as hand devices dependant on Nahquadah in one's blood stream to utilize them properly, why would they leave giant things such as Ha'taks to be used by any Teal'c, Drya'c and Karyn?

the fifth man
April 2nd, 2006, 07:21 PM
I don't think Ba'al will ever be a hero.....but I'll have to admit, he's my favorite Goa'uld, if it's actually possible to have a favorite. The reason? He's more adaptable than the others. With most of them, it's their way or no way. Ba'al sees it differently, and I think that's why he survived the purge of many of the system lords. Ba'al realizes that conditions change, and he's smart enough to adapt to the situation and use it to his advantage. When he was working for Anubis, you could see in his eyes how wrong he thought old 'Nuby was for using only the old methods to conquer civilizations.

Ba'al was smart enough to escape to Earth and figure out how to utilize business to gain power. Ah, there's still a lot of storyline left in this guy!

I couldn't agree more. There is definitely a lot of good storyline left with our "buddy" Ba'al. I can't wait to see more of him this season.:)

harlen
April 3rd, 2006, 08:26 PM
I think he meant as in "What if...". Like, what if a troupe of Jaffa rebelled and stole a Ha'tak? What if a System Lord was killed? Of course they wouldn't want a bunch of Jaffa to be able to run the thing at full power.

And if they can make small machines such as hand devices dependant on Nahquadah in one's blood stream to utilize them properly, why would they leave giant things such as Ha'taks to be used by any Teal'c, Drya'c and Karyn?

Finally someone understands what I meant by my post. The way the series is going, it gives us the impression that even a small BB gun can destroy a hatak vessel.

NotAscended
April 3rd, 2006, 09:22 PM
Even if Ba'al does end up helping the SGC and Earth this season, it won't be because of a change of heart. It will be because it suits Ba'al's own needs or goals, such as self-preservation. And for no other reason.

In terms of plot development, Ba'al's role relative to SG-1 seems to be the same role played by Maybourne in earlier seasons. He is the rogue element of a formerly powerful group who is simply trying to always serve his own interests. Sometimes his own self interests will also be the same as those of the SGC, sometimes not. However, he will always remain an ally of opportunity and not a true ally or hero.

Now, should Ba'al ever find his own planet to rule, perhaps he will inadvertently do some good, too. :)