PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Defenses

harlen
March 28th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Why is everyone always saying that we need a form of ancient defense against the Ori threat? If there were ancient defenses capable of defending this galaxy against the Ori. Wouldnt the ancients have left these defenses in place, knowing that the Ori would be coming one day.

So I think that its up to people like carter and the allies that earth has right now or even the ememies in this galaxy coming together to discover a weakness in the Ori ships and the Ori themselves. Pretty much everything has a form of weakness and its up to the brains like carter to figure them out.

And yes I'm the guy that called the Ori a toothless ememy a few weeks back that was before watching the season nine finale

darkyoshiwar
March 28th, 2006, 08:08 PM
You make a valid point, but you also must remember that these technologies are most likely written in Ancient. Therefore, it may take awhile for Daniel to finish deciphering it before they could even figure out how to use it. :daniel:

Ace
March 28th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Ancient LaGrange Defense Satellites... we have the schematics and the ability to power them. All we need is to have Earth divert some man power and money from the 304 programs and build a few around Saturn and were set.

Ace

the fifth man
March 28th, 2006, 09:10 PM
We certainly need all the help we can get.

Avenger
March 28th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Why is everyone always saying that we need a form of ancient defense against the Ori threat? If there were ancient defenses capable of defending this galaxy against the Ori. Wouldnt the ancients have left these defenses in place, knowing that the Ori would be coming one day.

A lot can happen in 10,000+ years. Technology can be lost, or it can breakdown. The Ancients could have hidden the technology, which seems very plausible, to keep it from being used for the wrong reasons.

lionel_pendergast_rocks
March 29th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Well remember, the Ancients didnt think that the Ori would come here someday. Daniel and Vala screwed that up.

freyr's mother
March 29th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Ancient LaGrange Defense Satellites... we have the schematics and the ability to power them. All we need is to have Earth divert some man power and money from the 304 programs and build a few around Saturn and were set.

Ace

Why Saturn? It's not like it can change its orbit or anything by itself. It would have no way of protecting earth.

lionel_pendergast_rocks
March 29th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Well, I think he was just thinking about the s1 finale, where Apophis' ship flew right by Saturn.

Ace
March 29th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Well, I think he was just thinking about the s1 finale, where Apophis' ship flew right by Saturn.

Indeed... the way I understand it is, that Lagrange points are the points in space where any ship would have to drop out of hyperspace to enter the solar system.

And in Season 1, they dropped out of hyperspace right around Saturn... then again they also dropped out of hyperspace right by Earth in Lost City so who knows....

Probably a plot hole

Ace

Ed
March 30th, 2006, 09:46 AM
when they dropped out by earth they were most lightly cclose any way makes more tactical sense

Metarock Sam
March 30th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Also they had more ships plus knowing Apophis's tech they would have to put the sheild on after they emerge from Hyperspace, and if the missles sent up actually went up and blew up the ships no SG-1.
Like it was mentioned before everything is one big plot device.

Da Vikster the Ori
March 30th, 2006, 11:20 AM
The ancients kicked the Ori out of our galaxy, and probably did that via considerable firepower, so there might be entire caches of treasures just waiting to be discovered.

Anyway, the ancient repository of knowledge is probably their way of preserving their stuff...DIY....so there is no need to rely on their ships remaining intact.

Anyone whoever can handle the ancient repository can make their own stuff using ancient technology, so theres no need for any intact technology...

Thats what people call planning ahead

Metarock Sam
March 30th, 2006, 11:35 AM
^Hi there and welcome to the forum !!!!
Anyways are you suggestrni that another character eg Mitchelkl put his head in the repository of knowlege. Im sorry but that has got too Cliche and wouldnt be good at all.

Avenger
March 30th, 2006, 06:07 PM
The ancients kicked the Ori out of our galaxy, and probably did that via considerable firepower, so there might be entire caches of treasures just waiting to be discovered.

No, the Ancients left the Ori galaxy and came to the MW.

Gateboy13
March 30th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Indeed... the way I understand it is, that Lagrange points are the points in space where any ship would have to drop out of hyperspace to enter the solar system.

According to Wikipedia and other sources Lagrangian points are the places between two large interplanetary objects, such as the Earth and the Sun, where a third smaller object, such as a satellite, will remain stationary relative to the two larger objects. At these particular points the gravitational forces of the two larger bodies are cancelled out, thus allowing the smaller object to remain in a fixed position. And there would be many of these types of points in a solar system because theoretically there are five Lagrangian points in relation to every two large interplanetary objects.

So it sounds like the Ancients placed their satellite weapons in strategic places throughout their system where they would remain in fixed positions. Now why the Wraith would choose to fly their ships right past these things is beyond me.

2ndgenerationalteran
March 30th, 2006, 07:45 PM
watch we'll get real worked up and when the ori come something will automatically activate revealing the ancients final act before they left, in the form of a giant honkin space gun.

TjomasC
March 31st, 2006, 04:05 AM
I don't think the the Ancients ever thought that the Ori would come to this galaxy... I mean, they went tens of thousands of years without hearing anything about them, so its hard to justify building defences to protect against an enemy that doesn't know your there, and up untill recently, didn't even think that you existed.

There proably are many more Ancient defenses scattered throughout the MW, but using actually finding a time and place to use them against the Ori would be hard.

Da Vikster the Ori
April 1st, 2006, 06:38 AM
Anyway, Dakara was probably the ancients safeguard in case the ori ever came back....shoot the weapon throuh the gate and kill everone on an ori planet...and maybe even some ori ships if the weapon could penetrate the ori shielding....which i dont doubt cos the replicators didn't stand a chance.

thomashortoncc
April 2nd, 2006, 12:21 PM

Anyway, the ancient repository of knowledge is probably their way of preserving their stuff...DIY....so there is no need to rely on their ships remaining intact.

Anyone whoever can handle the ancient repository can make their own stuff using ancient technology, so theres no need for any intact technology...

Thats what people call planning ahead

Spoilers (highlight)

Well it was my belief that the Ori wiped out the Ancients in the MW (plague and all) and the reminants of the original ancients seeded the current evolution of humanity (ie lantians all the way to us) using the weapon on Dha'kara and then accended. For instance i havent seen a lantian in any episode exhibit the abilities shown by AYIANA and RDA. the Ancients were not all powerful and did not kick the Ori out of the galaxy as the Ori had wiped everything out because they refused to convert to Origin. That is why it took all the way to Merlin to actaully develop a weapon capable of defending against the Ori or defeating them once and for all and we know he was a lantian. I don't think lantians were actally anywhere near as advanced as the original ancients or alterans.

o and it is very wishful thinking to think the Ancients had every angle covered, if that was true then they wouldnt have been wiped out twice by races everyone interprets as being less advanced