PDA

View Full Version : Should they bring back O'Neill for a guest spot or 2?

Phil6361
March 23rd, 2006, 07:27 PM
Sg-1 lost the comic relief element with the loss of O'Neill. I'm not up on the insider news. Why did he (Richard Dean Anderson) leave and has anyone heard about possible guest appearances?

the fifth man
March 23rd, 2006, 08:42 PM
RDA, above all, left to spend more time with his young daughter. And personally, I don't think we've lost the comic relief element of the show. It's just changed a bit. But personally, I'd love RDA to do a guest appearance or more. If he really wanted to, that is.

Trek_Girl42
March 23rd, 2006, 10:46 PM
I agree, it would be great to see him again, but only if he wanted to do it. And I don't think SG-1 lost it's comic relief with him. It's still very much alive and kicking.

Peoples_General
March 23rd, 2006, 10:51 PM
Should they bring back O'Neill for a guest spot or 2?

Yes, of course he should be back. We need him to make a smart@ss comment about the:

Ori
Priors
Furlings
Book of Origin
Ori Warships
Lucian Alliance
Cam :D
Vala :D
Teal'c, who longer bothers to wear anything with sleeves anymore :D
Sam :D
Daniel, and taunt him about Vala :D

Bragi
March 23rd, 2006, 10:57 PM
A real, episode-long guest spot would be nice.

Like, some device that'll help us against the Ori (not necessarily Merlin's bling-bling) but something that'll, you know, help out.

Desl
March 23rd, 2006, 11:13 PM
Yes!!! They should bring him back for at least one episode. I like the show not only because of him, but I generally love seeing characters who left the show again. (Not only on SG)

haley_of_chulak
March 23rd, 2006, 11:20 PM
That would be so awesome. I miss him a lot. (I haven't even seen all S9 episodes though). They should write it in that he just happens to stop by to say hello, at a particulary bad moment (like they're all in deep trouble or something).

Pharaoh Atem
March 24th, 2006, 05:43 AM
only for the 200th espiode and thats it

lissafoss
March 24th, 2006, 06:11 AM
Yes he should come back, but it has to be done right and the he has to want to do it.
Just having him in a rondom episode for no reason would spoil it.

Ancient 1
March 24th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Yes he should come back, but it has to be done right and the he has to want to do it.
I agree. I don't need any more cameos, but something with a little more "meat" to it would be appreciated.

lissafoss
March 24th, 2006, 07:07 AM
I just think i would be disapointed if he showed up and was only there for 5 minutes and it had littel to do with the story. They used the one sided phone call once when carter came back i was worried it would become a regular thing. But they did it right, quick one off.

Rosehawk
March 26th, 2006, 08:21 PM
It would be really great if they bring RDA back for a guest spot here and there. It would be nice for an episode or two, I would be happy with something as simple as a phone conversation with him and Sam, with Sam updating him on events happening.
I know I started watching SG1 because I was and still am a huge RDA fan.

the fifth man
March 26th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Well, there is some recent chatter going around that RDA is supposed to be in season 10 a little in a guest role. Apparently something said at the convention in Vancouver. We'll have to wait and see if that's really the case, though. I don't want to get my hopes too high, you know?

Pain in the mikta
March 26th, 2006, 08:58 PM

Unlike what was done in S9, if I understand correctly...

:jack_new_anime04:

asgardcmndr
March 26th, 2006, 09:18 PM
in my opinion, RDA was what made the show in seasons 1-7 (maybe 8) (even though Jackson is my fav. char...but w/e), I think that a few guest episodes would be a great thing just to remind of of where the show came from. The show hasn't lost any appeal I don't think, but in my mind Jack will always be part of it. As long as it's not too cliche I think we'd all like to see him take a major role for an episode or too, he made the show what it is, who deserves it more?

majorsal
March 26th, 2006, 09:27 PM
should they bring him back?

GOD, YES!!!!!!!

sally :D

March 27th, 2006, 02:51 AM
Well this was posted to the sg1_spoilme (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sg1_spoilme/) Yahoo group a couple days back. Note that I'm at work and can't get to the link to verify it.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/ourstargate/messages?msg=6853.327

reports

According to N. John Smith, Richard Dean Anderson is returning to Stargate in
Season 10. He has just been talking to him. He says RDA misses working on the
show and he will be coming back for some episode(s). He would not say how
many episodes RDA might be in but said it looked very very positive. Someone
asked "what about Mitchell" and Smith did confirm that they are very happy with
Ben Browder/Mitchell. The indication is simply that RDA would be returning for
some guest shots. Gary Jones had previously indicated on Friday night that he
had seen the script for the 200th Episode and that RDA was *not* in it -- but
it was hard to tell whether or not he was joking around with the audience. ;-)

Click on link for full text!

P-90_177
March 27th, 2006, 02:57 AM
He's head of homeworld security. He could easily make a tour of the SGC or take command of one of the X-304's for a big Ori Battle. I don't think he should go off world again. Or if they did it would have to be for a diplomatic mission or need him for the Ancient Gene.

lissafoss
March 27th, 2006, 04:02 AM
He's head of homeworld security. He could easily make a tour of the SGC or take command of one of the X-304's for a big Ori Battle. I don't think he should go off world again. Or if they did it would have to be for a diplomatic mission or need him for the Ancient Gene.

A rondom walk through the SGC wouldnt do it for me, it needs the story behind it, a really good reason for him to be involved. I dont see him in command of a 304 but that could just be me.

shelsfc
March 27th, 2006, 04:19 AM
They should bring him back, no question!! But only if RDA wants to come back. Ideally for the 200th ep...I've said this before in other threads, but I don't believe that Jack would be able to stay away from what's going on at the moment. We saw how it affected him having to watch his friends go out and have all the fun and be in danger without him when he was in command of the SGC, now he's not even there any more. It must be very difficult for him. I would imagine he'd love to come back to the SGC for a bit to help his team out!

I don't think the show has lost humour with him gone, but it's not the same - it doesn't have the same wit when Jack's not there.

raknor
March 27th, 2006, 04:48 AM
I would definetly like to RDA make a few appearances in Season 10. But as others have said it MOST be relevant to the overall storyline and make a meaningful contribution to the fight against the Ori / Diplomatic Mission that promotes his new position and gives him something meaty to do!!!

Not just appear for 5 mins and be gone.

Ideally would like to see him in at least 3/4 episodes if poss.

The show still has its comic moments but still miss RDA's delivery

TjomasC
March 27th, 2006, 04:57 AM
I think that the show's comic element hasn't really suffered, but as people have said, It's just us mssing his prompt and hilarious delivery of a line.

It's not suprising that he wants to come back, and I think he should... although I would prefer that he actually got a good role, something that involves him doing more than standing around in a suit!

asgardcmndr
March 27th, 2006, 08:54 AM
I think it would be cool if O'Neill, Carter, Daniel, and T were all questioned about a certain mission they went on b/c it's believed there may be technology relevant to fighting the Ori, then they all go back to the planet from the mission to try and retrieve the tech... At least it would provide some reason for us to see O'Neill actually doing something. Maybe they'd bring him along in case they'd need someone with an ATA gene... lol idk, just a thought.

Admiral Mappalazarou
March 27th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Maybe Jack could turn up in a secret Earth ship in the beginning of season 10, leading the last assault against the Ori after the first wave was massacred.

Lokii
March 27th, 2006, 09:27 AM
If RDA wants to come back, then no offense to Ben Browder the job is his. RDA has a chemistry with the cast Ben just can't match. (He did have years to create it).

For the shows sake, he would have to commit to a couple of seasons. He could not come back for a few episodes and decide he misses his daughter.

Perfect way to handle the transition would be for the Ori capture Mitchell and turn him into a prior or a brainwashed uber Ori who is the head bad guy for as long as needed. This way he is always available to be "brought back into the fold" through some Carter made miracle.

Bragi
March 27th, 2006, 11:42 AM
That's like asking "is pie and punch good?"

Of course the answer is a deafening "yes."

jckfan55
March 27th, 2006, 12:09 PM
I agree. It would need to be carefully written.:jack:

ReganX
March 27th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Absolutely, I would love to see Jack O'Neill in as many episodes as Richard Dean Anderson cares to appear in.

Another thing I would love to see is more reference to Jack even when he's not there - Sam's half of a phone call, a query about how he is or discussion of what he is doing, Sam, Daniel and Teal'c talking about plans for a get together at his cabin, etc.

asgardcmndr
March 27th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Absolutely, I would love to see Jack O'Neill in as many episodes as Richard Dean Anderson cares to appear in.

Another thing I would love to see is more reference to Jack even when he's not there - Sam's half of a phone call, a query about how he is or discussion of what he is doing, Sam, Daniel and Teal'c talking about plans for a get together at his cabin, etc.

yeah, that's not a bad idea, Jack was a huge part of the show for the first 7 or 8 seasons, even if he's not in the show, he didn't drop off the face of the earth - presumably all the others are still friends with him.

ReganX
March 27th, 2006, 12:30 PM
If RDA wants to come back, then no offense to Ben Browder the job is his. RDA has a chemistry with the cast Ben just can't match. (He did have years to create it).

For the shows sake, he would have to commit to a couple of seasons. He could not come back for a few episodes and decide he misses his daughter.

Perfect way to handle the transition would be for the Ori capture Mitchell and turn him into a prior or a brainwashed uber Ori who is the head bad guy for as long as needed. This way he is always available to be "brought back into the fold" through some Carter made miracle.

That's an intriguing scenario.

Mitchell could be an interesting villain and it has the advantage of making the situation with the Ori and the Priors more personal for the team. He could team up with Vala Junior.

Having him brainwashed would also make it more difficult for SG-1 to fight against him as he would not be fully responsible for his actions.

ReganX
March 27th, 2006, 12:33 PM
yeah, that's not a bad idea, Jack was a huge part of the show for the first 7 or 8 seasons, even if he's not in the show, he didn't drop off the face of the earth - presumably all the others are still friends with him.

Exactly. Sam, Daniel and Teal'c are not people who would forget about a friend of eight years because he no longer works with them.

sg-1fanintn
March 27th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Absolutely! They've tried hard without him, but the camaraderie hasn't been as strong on-screen, and the comedy has seemed forced. I think they should take as much of him as he will agree to do! He is the star power that held the show together...and I didn't realize just how much I would miss him until he was gone.

sg-1fanintn
March 27th, 2006, 12:40 PM

Perhaps after S10 TPTB will rename the TV show Stargate Command like they wanted to this year, and continue with CB and BB and whoever wants to stay with that. This would be a perfect way to segue into the Stargate: SG-1 movies they have talked about for so long.....with RDA and whoever else wanted to be part of those projects. If they do just one to two movies a year, he'll probably stay with it awhile.

This could be a win-win situation for the fans of both the original team and the new team.

STARGATE7777
March 27th, 2006, 12:47 PM
I would love to see RDA come back in any capacity but the more the merrier. SG1 certainly misses his humor, the sense of team and his great timing. I wouldn't worry too much about the actual scenes. RDA has a way of making it work on screen. If he returned it would also be his choice so I'm sure that he would be at his best.

A good idea about having Mitchell captured by the Ori. Just one question. Would anyone care enough to try to save him? Sorry...so not a Mitchell fan.

mckaychick
March 27th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Absolutely!

JONeill97
March 27th, 2006, 02:44 PM
YES

... clear enough fer ya?

Trek_Girl42
March 27th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Jack should come back for a guest spot, but not as leading character. RDA left and Ben Browder joined and RDA can't just decide that he wants his old job back. Simple as that. The only way for him back into the Stargate Universe as a leading role would be in another spin-off series or several seasons down the road of SG-1. Altogether there's no point in having this debate as that won't happen. Those who don't like Mitchell, deal with it, but he's here to stay.

And I like Mitchell and Vala.
:cameronanime12: :valaanime06:

jonno
March 27th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Check out Shipperahoy's blog (caution ... spoilers - she was at the con): http://www.gateworld.net/blogs/moriah/2006/03/complete-and-utter-humilation.shtml

(some of this is from posts she made around the forum, not just her blog). According to her Jack's back for a few guest appearances (probably not mere cameo's). She says she's got it from several sources, so thinks it could be pretty reliable). As she mentioned Cliff spilled the beans, there could be some O'Neill/Baal stuff (we can hope!)

All I can say is ... YAY!

skeezix
March 27th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Of course I want to see O'Neill back. Nothing would make me happier. However theres a hang up in my mind. I want O'Neill to come back, but I don't want it half assed and I don't want it to be temporary. I love SG and want to see it go on a bit more but I think that, say if O'Neill came back now to do some guest stuff and leaves a bit more definitively (God I hope not), you are basically screwed for a finale. As far as I'm concerned I hope RDA is a main character again in the finale whenever that may be. Having him not there would just destroy the finale for me. Everyone, along with me, has some big epic finale planned out in their head, and I guarantee you most people see RDA there. So basically I'm all for RDA doing some guest stuff but at the same time I wish I could rest assured that he would be in the finale whenever it happens of one of my favorite shows ever.

aintright
March 27th, 2006, 07:28 PM
must agree with joneill97 --

would take him back with open arms and a BIG smile - on his terms!

sorry trek girl 42 -- sg1 without mitchell would be no loss

SG1 - O'Neill (2l's) = aintright

:jack_new_anime07: :jack_new_anime18: :jack_new_anime04: :jack_new15: :jack_new_anime05: :jack_new_anime06:

the fifth man
March 27th, 2006, 07:48 PM
I am definitely one of those who wouldn't want to see Mitchell just tossed aside because RDA decides to do a few eps. I want to see O'Neill interacting with the "new" team, not replacing Mitchell.

Nightspore
March 27th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Jack should come back for a guest spot, but not as leading character. RDA left and Ben Browder joined and RDA can't just decide that he wants his old job back. Simple as that. The only way for him back into the Stargate Universe as a leading role would be in another spin-off series or several seasons down the road of SG-1. Altogether there's no point in having this debate as that won't happen. Those who don't like Mitchell, deal with it, but he's here to stay.

And I like Mitchell and Vala.
:cameronanime12: :valaanime06:

Kind of like when Michael Shanks left of his own accord, they hired a new guy, then Shanks decided he could come back; Jonas became almost a dirty word and they never mentioned him again. They can't treat Ben like that????

I have no problem dealing with Mitchell. If they focus on him for more than 10 seconds, I just fast forward the VCR. I used to fall asleep.....

I love RDA and Jack, but have serious reservations about him coming back, mostly because I haven't enjoyed much of S9, the direction they went; the writing, etc. I have no faith that they could bring RDA back and write anything more interesting than those lame scenes they wrote at the beginning of S9. I would just hate to see Jack back and be written like crap. Afraid my memories would be ruined.

the fifth man
March 27th, 2006, 08:18 PM
I would just hate to see Jack back and be written like crap. Afraid my memories would be ruined.

Well, let's just hope that isn't the case. Personally, I want to see him involved in a mission with SG-1, like the old O'Neill. Imagine that, a six-man mission.:)

Kliggins
March 27th, 2006, 09:22 PM
I would love to see RDA/Jack O'Neill back on SG-1 if it can be done in a smart and respectful way to the actor/character. If the episode/s are going to be like those in season 9, no thank you! Leave him in no man's land.

I do have reservations with him returning, however, because I am no longer sure Jack O'Neill fits in with the new direction of the show.

Thor of The Asgard
March 27th, 2006, 10:27 PM
he should return as head lead or secondi n command... but the actor doesnt want to return... i guess he had more than enough of stargate or omething...

shelsfc
March 28th, 2006, 01:07 AM
I agree he should not come back to replace Mitchell. Nightspore compared it to what happened with Jonas - I was disgusted with the way they treated Jonas, and I would not like that to happen again. I also wouldn't be too enthusiastic about the Ori turning Mitchell into the enemy - not sure if this is a spoiler but they've already kinda done that with Ford in Atlantis (and so help me if they don't bring him back again!) :S
I would dearly love Jack to come back, but it would have to be in guest spots...I don't think that would be an issue though, because I don't think RDA would come back full time.

lissafoss
March 28th, 2006, 01:57 AM
I think everyone wants him back but dont want it to spoil the O'Neill memories we have or the story lines they have going. Maybe one of us will come up with the perfect way to do it and i'll keep reading in hope that it does but the shw does have amazing writers and i find it hard to believe that they arnt working on ways to do it. And when they get it just right, it wil happen.

scjon
March 28th, 2006, 02:49 AM
I agree with nearly everyone else here. I'd love to see RDA back, just as long as it is done right.

I don't think that it's ever been a question of him coming back full time. He never fully retired, like he thought he would, but I get the impression that he still does not want to have to leave his daughter for months or even weeks at a time (which was what was happening with Stargate before).Fair play to him for that.

If I was taking bets on this, I'd say it'd be one (or hopefully more) guest spots, the scenes for which could all be filmed in one trip to the set.

RuleBritannia
March 28th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Sure, why not?

ReganX
March 28th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Kind of like when Michael Shanks left of his own accord, they hired a new guy, then Shanks decided he could come back; Jonas became almost a dirty word and they never mentioned him again. They can't treat Ben like that????

I have no problem dealing with Mitchell. If they focus on him for more than 10 seconds, I just fast forward the VCR. I used to fall asleep.....

It would depend on what kind of contract Ben Browder has.

Corin Nemec may only have had a contract for one season - didn't they think that Season Six was to have been the last at one point? - and if that was the case, it would have made getting rid of Jonas and bringing Daniel back easier.

If Ben Browder has a contract for two years or longer, it would make it far more difficult to write Cameron out of the show, even if Richard Dean Anderson wanted to return full time.

Pharaoh Atem
March 28th, 2006, 03:14 PM
rick will never be full time again his family is to important and it is tv is just a job

the fifth man
March 28th, 2006, 10:19 PM
At least we have some answers now on RDA's future on SG-1 this coming season. Personally, I'm highly optimistic of how this will all turn out.:)

Avenger
March 28th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Yeah. It looks like he's going to do 4 episodes of SG-1 and 1 of Atlantis and he will play a major role in the 200th episode. I really hope this is the start of hims becoming a recurring character who shows up on a somewhat, semi-regular basis.

NikonUser
March 29th, 2006, 05:29 AM
Long time reader, first time poster. The reason I registered today and decided to post is because of the RDA news that he's coming back for a total of 5 episodes. This is a dream come true for my wife and I. We didn't think it would ever happen, so when I first read it I thought I was dreaming.

I love Mitchell, I love Vala (huge Farscape fan here) but certainly there is room for RDA to make several episodes with substantial scenes. All we need now is for Don Davis to return a few times and it will recreate the old SG1.

Don't get me wrong, I thought Season 9 was fantastic and I think the Ori are the best bad-guys yet, I can't wait for S9 to come to DVD... but the idea of having Jack back is just too good to be true. It would be so cool to have Jack back as a regular though, I wish he would rejoin the show.

Now, after reading the minor spoilers for the 200th episode I was slightly disappointed. I was sure they were going to deal with the Furlings. But, since I enjoyed the 100th episode I'm sure I'll enjoy this one.

Hearing this news of Jack's return has given me the best start to the day that I've had in months :)

April 3rd, 2006, 12:39 AM
Hey, maybe it'll be revealed that Martin's people are/were the Furlings.

Trek_Girl42
April 3rd, 2006, 12:03 PM
So far I like what I hear about Jack's return, especially that he will be in "200" (and he definatly deservaes a prominent role in that one), and hopefully his other appearences will be meaningful, but not overwhelming. I want him to intereact with Mitchell and respect his leadership, I really want to see what happens when he meets Vala, I want to see him hang out with his old friends again. And I simply want it to feel like he's still out there in the Stargate Universe doing his job.

And a six member team trip through the gate would be a treat.:)

shelsfc
April 3rd, 2006, 12:32 PM
I don't think there'd be any problems between Jack & Mitchell as far as leadership goes - sure wasn't it Jack who approved him to lead SG1?

harlen
April 3rd, 2006, 03:18 PM
They should've had killed jack oneill in season one, cameron mitchell is the bomb, forget jack oneill already

PG15
April 3rd, 2006, 06:52 PM
They should've had killed jack oneill in season one, cameron mitchell is the bomb, forget jack oneill already

So...uh...um...welcome to Gateworld?

Lokii
April 4th, 2006, 08:55 AM

That makes no sense whatsoever. Kill Jack in season one? Cameron was not even thought of in season one. Even if they killed Jack at the end of season 7, Mitchel was seriuously injured in the battle with Anubis and quite unavailable.

ReganX
April 4th, 2006, 08:58 AM
That makes no sense whatsoever. Kill Jack in season one? Cameron was not even thought of in season one. Even if they killed Jack at the end of season 7, Mitchel was seriuously injured in the battle with Anubis and quite unavailable.

I don't think that Mitchell even existed at the end of Season Seven, and I don't think that the show would have lasted to Season Nine had Jack been killed off in Season One.

Nightspore
April 4th, 2006, 10:33 AM

Righteous dude. If they had killed Jack in Season 1, then we could all be imaging the rest of the episodes. I have no doubt we'd all imagine Mitchell as the leader of SG-1 and then we'd all be happy. Rock on!

Lokii
April 4th, 2006, 11:53 AM
I don't think that Mitchell even existed at the end of Season Seven, and I don't think that the show would have lasted to Season Nine had Jack been killed off in Season One.

I think there was some mention to a 302 pilot (flight leader?) who did something heroic during the big battle, but I may be wrong. I have not seen the episode recently. I know that is what they based the origin of the character on. Besides Browder would not have been available anyway. He was too busy doinf bad tv movies :)

If Jack had been killed off in season one we would have been robbed of all those nice one liners and of course the Jack and Sam relationship. :jack: :sam:

Trek_Girl42
April 4th, 2006, 12:06 PM
And if Jack had snuffed it in season one there would be no show.....

Lokii
April 5th, 2006, 07:22 AM
And if Jack had snuffed it in season one there would be no show.....

That is a given