This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V for Vendetta Discussion

I just saw it last night in the early screening. Liked it very much, Hugo Weaving did an incredible job IMO portraying the character. What did everybody else think?

Im hoping to see it soon. I think it looks good!
    sigpic
    Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

I should see it soon since it looks so fantastic. Particularly the bit in the trailer when big ben gets blown up. And its made by the Wachowski Brothers who made The Matrix Trilogy so if anything it can't be that bad....
      Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

I may see it again, just to listen to wordplay with the letter "V." I wonder how many times they had to do that scene over or they probably just looped it. Puts Sally and her seashells to shame.

Comment

I am hoping to see it this weekend. I just love Hugo Weaving so I am looking forward to it.
          www.peachtreeservices.net

Comment

I can't wait to see this one. It looks really good.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Overall, I thought it was a pretty good movie.

**WARNING: Personal opinions to follow; no offense intended at all to individuals on this forum.**
              The one thing (and only thing) that I strongly disliked about the film was the fact that a significant/supporting theme actually ended up glorifying homosexuality. Of course I don't believe that homosexuals should be imprisoned and executed as criminals, but I also don't agree that their lifestyle should be held up as an example of something perfectly beautiful and acceptable. I think that both of these extremes are incorrect....and since the film seems to miss the fact that these two viewpoints are not the only positions on the issue, I felt that it ultimately still ended up on the wrong side in the end.
              I can't tell you how much more satisfied I would have been with the movie if they could have simply left all of that stuff out....it really wasn't necessary (even if it was in the comics originally), and only ended up (unfortunately) damaging my opinion of the film as I left the theater. Other than that, I would say that I enjoyed the film; there were plenty of positive elements, and plenty of other things to enjoy.

Originally posted by darman
              I may see it again, just to listen to wordplay with the letter "V." I wonder how many times they had to do that scene over or they probably just looped it. Puts Sally and her seashells to shame.
              It did, didn't it? Here it is, the golden nugget of all tongue-tvvisters....a masterpiece (from the very beginning of the film) that you simply have to hear to believe:

"This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is it vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished, as the once vital voice of the verisimilitude now venerates what they once vilified. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose vis-à-vis an introduction, and so it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V."
              There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

any thing else?

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumper747
                  Overall, I thought it was a pretty good movie.

**WARNING: Personal opinions to follow; no offense intended at all to individuals on this forum.**
                  The one thing (and only thing) that I strongly disliked about the film was the fact that a significant/supporting theme actually ended up glorifying homosexuality. Of course I don't believe that homosexuals should be imprisoned and executed as criminals, but I also don't agree that their lifestyle should be held up as an example of something perfectly beautiful and acceptable. I think that both of these extremes are incorrect....and since the film seems to miss the fact that these two viewpoints are not the only positions on the issue, I felt that it ultimately still ended up on the wrong side in the end.
                  I can't tell you how much more satisfied I would have been with the movie if they could have simply left all of that stuff out....it really wasn't necessary (even if it was in the comics originally), and only ended up (unfortunately) damaging my opinion of the film as I left the theater. Other than that, I would say that I enjoyed the film; there were plenty of positive elements, and plenty of other things to enjoy.

I didn't have strong opinions on this part of the movie. Although it may seem that it glorifies homosexuality I think the reason they included it in such a way is because that is the biggest present day stigma in the society. It could've been just so a lot of people could relate with the message about the oppressive government. If the movie was made back in the 60's it they would have probably used racism and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ludofjn
                    any thing else?
                    No, actually. That was about all. And it's just my personal opinion....you're allowed to disagree with me.

Originally posted by darman
                    I think the reason they included it in such a way is because that is the biggest present day stigma in the society. It could've been just so a lot of people could relate with the message about the oppressive government. If the movie was made back in the 60's it they would have probably used racism and so on.
                    You're probably correct. I just wish they could have left it more neutral, open to interpretation....portraying it as neither positive nor negative, if that's even possible, and open for audence interpretation....instead of showing us lesbians kissing on hills, haloed in sunlight, and seemingly supported by both main characters, et cetera. For example: go ahead and leave Gordon Dietrich's character as a secret homosexual, but balance it out by having Evey get a letter/biography from a devout Moslem woman instead. I don't know, perhaps I am asking for too much, but that's the one thing I personally wish they could have left more neutral and/or changed entirely.
                    There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Saw it tonight.
                      I had no knowledge of said story or its existence in any other form, so i went in not knowing anything...

...and I thought it was absolutely FANTASTIC.

Wonderfully acted. Excellent script. Everything about it was awesome.
                      Hugo Weaving is amazing. And you never even see his face.
                      Even Natalie Portman impressed me. Too bad she couldn't have acted that well in Star Wars.

It also gave me a whole new appreciation for the 1812 Overture!

Comment

Really great movie IMO.

Comment

i thought it was spectacular.

the dialogue, for the most part, was excellent.

Hugo's speaking, to overcome/compliment the GF mask, was great.

Natalie Portman was great! You see her in any other movie than the SW prequels and you realize she's an actor.

A was a bit dubious going in since the Wacrapski brothers were attached to it, but that worry was set aside after the V aliteration monologue.

Definately going to be a DVD purchase.
                          Thanks!
                          Jordan

my page
                          My LJ
                          From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

I disagree that the movie glorified homosexuality. It merely presented it as an alternate lifestyle. One of many that were being oppressed by the government. It is the hot-button topic in this day and age, true, but that doesn't make the point any less valid: the government has no right to tell its citizens what to do or who to love.

That said, it was a great movie, and very true to the original Graphic Novel. I'm glad that it gives us things to talk about; it's a rare action movie that can do that.

Freedom! Forever!
                            Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
                            I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
                            What have these years left to me?
                            Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Comment

There was no alternative side to show in "V" as far as homosexuality is concerned. They showed two girls who fell in love. The scenes were shot beautifully to emphasize that this was the best time in this girl's life, the sunset was perfect, etc. (And it was told from her memory, making this make even more sense) Then they showed the oppossing opinion that some feel was lacking in this movie. It was the people who came and picked her up and tortured her just for loving someone you're not "supposed" to.

I'm shocked that no one has brought up the real elephant in the room, ...terrorism. I absolutly loved the film and their refusal to pull punches on the topic of U.S. imperialism and refusal to follow domestic and international law. I hoped that everyone felt uncomfortable seeing the close resemblance between torture victims in "V" and real victims of US torture, they should feel uncomfortable, maybe if they actually feel REALLY uncomfortable, then we'll close Abu Ghiraib and Guantanamo.

Also, one of the other main points that I completly support is that all corporate media lies through their teeth. I couldn't agree more.

And on a entertainment level, man I loved the final fight scene!!! Wow. I was hoping we could see "V" fight with a rapier but I'm still happy. I'll be seeing this a second time in the theatre and buying it of course. Absolutly excellent script aswell, ...what a solid follow up for the Wachowski's.

Comment

Working...
                              X