X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here heard of Series called the Collector

Hi Everyone
    First post on these boards here
    I wanted to let you know about a great Canadian show that has yet to air here in the US called "The Collector"
    The show has been running for 2 and half seasons and has some of the most intellegent writing i have seen on tv.
    American or otherwise.
    Here is a great summary from tv.com for those that don't know the basic premise
    The Collector is a supernatural drama, in the tradition of Rod Serling's original Twilight Zone, about a man who collects souls for the Devil. MORGAN PYM appears to be in his mid 30's, but was in fact born in 1322 AD, in Nuremberg. In his native land, he was a monk who had the misfortune to fall in love with a servant girl (KATRINA), who lived near the monastery…and to reveal his love to her just before she came down with the plague. Enraged at God, he sold his soul to the Devil in return for 10 years of happiness with Katrina, which he received. But at the end of that time, Katrina became ill again and died; enraged, Morgan fought back against the Devil, and was offered a deal: he could escape the trip to Hell if he agrees to collect souls from others who have dealt with the Devil. As long as he does that, he'll continue to walk the earth, immortal, but the moment he stops, the deal ends. Miserable, lost, alone, Morgan took the deal, but didn't have courage enough to ask where Katrina's soul had gone.

Six centuries later, that still torments him, but he has tried to bury it in the mindless routine of a Collector's lonely existence: no sleep, no friends, just one call a week with a name of someone in the city of Vancouver. (The Devil has Collectors in every city in the world.) Morgan's simple task: to find the person, and let them know they have 48 hours until their ten years is up, then hang around until the moment comes to suck their soul down to Hell. Why the early warning? The Devil enjoys a good laugh, and watching people squirm for the last 48 hours is one of his great pleasures.

Now, after centuries Morgan makes a new deal with the devil and is given a chance to redeem the people the devil has made deals with in those last 48 hours.
    The rules of this show are that for every deal a person makes lasts 10 years and the laws of probability are altered so that that persons luck is good and peoples/persons luck around them is bad. Morgan with the clients help have 48 hours to find out who was affected and a way to seek ammends
    The writing as i said is top notch and very clever. One of my favorite aspects of The show is that Morgan does not always succeed in redeeming his clients and often you will see them screaming to hell. The show has well known scifi guest stars that play his clients as well as various forms the devil takes on as well.
    Recently this year they got Tricia Helfer on the show of Battlestar Galactica fame.
    The other purpose of this messase is to let you know that the show needs an american distributor to survive. This show is not funded by any major studio and is entirely a canadian broadcasting companies production. I found it rather ironic that a show that about the devil and his soul collector is listed in its credits as being funded by the Canadian Gov't.
    But still great shows like this deserve a chance at a US audience before they quitely end as Collector is showing signs that it may.
    I call on anyone who is interested to please PM me with their thoughts and feelings on the matter or post replies.
    In the coming weeks i hope to have a website up with more info on this show.
    In the mean time check out this site
    The Collector official site
    http://www.thecollectortv.com
    or the yahoo fan group at Collector Yahoo fan group
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Collector_fans/

Thanks for your time,
    Shaun McCarthy

Unfortunately, being American, I don't stand a chance in hell of ever seeing it.

I remember hearing about it when it was first coming out and I was keen to see it (reminded me a bit of Brimstone), but I never found a way to snag copies and it hasn't come out on DVD. *shrug*

Comment

I have heard of it but thats all. Probably wont be able to see it tho.
      sigpic
      Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

sounds like more great canadian pgming that i'll never see down here unless they put it on dvd.
        Thanks!
        Jordan

my page
        My LJ
        From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Hi
          I wanted to let the patrons of this board know about a Great canadian produced show called The Collector. It is a low budget series centered around a Man named Morgan Pym who collects souls for the Devil. He lived in the 14th century and was a monk He fell in love with a local servant girl. Shortly after, she died from the Plague. Morgan rejected god and made a deal with the devil to collect souls from people who had also made deals. In this world it seems people make standard 10 year deals. Morgan's job to find these people and let them know their time is up and send their souls to hell. Flash forward to modern day . Morgan, empty inside, comes upon a girl that reminds him of his love and see that maybe redemption is possible for anyone and makes a new deal with the devil that he be given 48 hours to try and redeem the people he is sent to find. The devil agree and the series picks up at this point in Vancouver. (There are Collectors all over the world for each city)
          This is an excellent series filled with clever writing and a host of well known guest stars that have appeared in Stargate, Battlestar Galactica and many other well known sci-fi series.
          The series has been going on for 2 and half seasons and is shown in most places around the world. It however is not shown in a key market. The US networks have not taken a keen enough interest in this series and now it is in danger of not being renewed for a 4th season. A petition and fan writing campaign has been started in Canada and if you are interested in seeing good television please visit this site.
          http://www.morgansapartment.ca/savethecollector.htm

Now this campaign is mainly targeted towards renewing the show in Canada but don't let that stop you if you are from another country and want to help out this show. An American network backing it would certainly help.
          If you have not seen the show and would like more info you should also check out the official homepage.
          The Collector Official Site
          It showcases behind the scenes media and interviews and most importantly media clips of the show.

Thanks for your Time,
          Shaun McCarthy

Comment

*eyes post above* Umm... Isn't that pretty much what you posted the first time? Don't you have anything of your OWN to say? 'Cause I'm all for talking about The Collector, but if you're just here to campaign and can't even be bothered to actually chat with the folks posting here, well... 's kinda rude, don't you think?

Personally, I'd rather have a discussion thread for the show where I can maybe find out more about the individual eps and characters rather than bumping into a few other curious people and then getting randomly preached at by some stranger. Just my feeling.

If I ever manage to snag copies, I'll be happy to watch, but I'm not going to help any efforts and I'm not joining any communities, particularly not if this is an example of what I can expect there.

Comment

I've seen the first two seasons and it's not bad. I thought the first season was extremely repetitive with its flashbacks. A lot of the same shots used over again. I was excited about the last ep of the season because it was supposed to take place 600 years in the past but it turned out to be all of the flashbacks cobbled together into one episode.

The second season was better, IMO. Pretty good twist mid-season that I never saw coming. They also filmed a few episodes in Hungary, one being their own version of Jack the Ripper. I liked that one and the different location really helped sell the atmosphere of the era.

I like how the devil is always someone different (except in the past, that's always Colin Cunningham). I do have to be honest though, for me half the fun of watching the show is to play "Spot the Vancouver Actor". The show also actually takes place in Vancouver which is a rarity all to itself.

I know Season 3 is airing right now but I'm never home when it's on and I keep forgetting to tape. Hopefully Space or CityTV will air some repeats.

Comment

Originally posted by Naeara
                I do have to be honest though, for me half the fun of watching the show is to play "Spot the Vancouver Actor". The show also actually takes place in Vancouver which is a rarity all to itself.
                That's another reason I wanna see it.

Sounds like The Collector may have taken a page from Joan of Arcadia, too, with the "different person every time" thing. Or maybe a bit of that Denzel Washington movie, Fallen. Colin's actually the reason I've heard of the show- he mentioned it at a con a few years back. Even if it's reptetitive with the flashbacks, I still hope I get to see it for myself some day. Then at least I'll know if I should be cranky about missing it or not.

Comment

Brand new interview with Ellen Dubin (Jeri Slate) - check out the link below -

http://scifiandtvtalk.wordpress.com/...evil-you-know/

Comment

This show ended in 2006. And even then....it really wasn't very good. I think the only reason it even lasted 3 seasons was because this country assists funding for pretty much any Canadian-made entertainment, regardless of whether it's worth it or not.

Still, good on you for actually using the search function when so many people just ignore it.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                    X