This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Efficient Ships?

Ever since the Goa'uld were defeated, we don't really see groups of jaffa patrolling the hallways of a Ha'tak anymore (why would they have reason to?). So would it be a better idea to build a new kind of ship just large enough to carry sufficient weapons and shield technology, or is the Ha'tak already at that size?

The jaffa can keep using Ha'taks for ground troop transportation and deployment and planetary defense, but these newer, smaller ships would be used for space combat. In space combat a ship wouldn't have thousands of warriors anyways, since they're of no extra help (only need a few to pilot the ship and its gliders) and a ship blowing up in space kills everyone on board.

The same might go for the Earth ships. I don't know if Earth ships require more personnel because we're still learning how to run them, but a smaller ship is easier to produce and can move faster.

As a side idea, why not set up Earth ships to automatically beam personnel to a nearby ally ship or planet as soon as the ship goes critical? i.e. major hull breach, shields failing, systems compromised...

On that last point, if the systems have been compromised, how would you know if the "transport-to-safety" system hasn't been compromised as well?

Comment

I've kinda thought of the Earth battlecruisers as more like "aircraft carriers" where they can engage in ship-to-ship combat and deploy fighters in necessary. Thinking that way, the fighters would be the purpose-built combat platform, the battlecruiser is just a way of carrying them around. Though it does make a lot of sense to have "battleship/destroyer" type space ships specifically for large ship-ship battles.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
        On that last point, if the systems have been compromised, how would you know if the "transport-to-safety" system hasn't been compromised as well?
        Well it's worth a shot if it does work and saves at least some people. By the looks of it there're at least a hundred crew members on an Earth ship; that's a lot of valuable experience gone in one explosion.

Comment

Working...
        X