PDA

View Full Version : The Supergate Discussion Thread #SPOILERS#

Pages : [1] 2

ML61487
July 4th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Did anyone see in the article about the TV Guide cover where the release an excerpt from it the goes like this

"From the look of things at the sprawling complex in Vancouver where SCI FI Channel's Friday-night anchor is filming its ninth season, an infusion of new characters -- and a villainous race so powerful it has its own planet-size Stargate portal -- has created a palpable sense of renewal."

What do you think this means will the Ori have a planet sized starate?????

THat just seems a little crazy to me

hungrytrash
July 4th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Imagine what happens when they dial a planet on that thing. The surge that comes out alone could destroy Earth :S. That's scary...giant stargate of doom and horror :(.

Helo
July 4th, 2005, 10:33 PM
it wouln't work rite without a recieving stargate of the same size. You can't send an astroid though. it just wouldn't work.

hungrytrash
July 4th, 2005, 10:35 PM
What would happen if you sent like a spaceship through when u dialed earth? Would it shrink? :S.

knowsfords
July 4th, 2005, 11:38 PM
I think its more like a hyperspace generator except it works like a stargate (stationary) instead of having to accelerate thru hyperspace... so you lock onto the coordinates and dial

hungrytrash
July 4th, 2005, 11:51 PM
They clearly say stargate.

immhotep
July 4th, 2005, 11:55 PM
There is this game called X2:the threat that uses this princple to travel, your ship goe through this gate thing and end up in another system/galaxy almost instantly, that prinicple could be the basis for this idea; on the otherhand this will be great because any gate that size would need ZPM'( alot of them) to power it! whhich we can just get a PJ and go in clock mode and steal them, yay :D

hungrytrash
July 5th, 2005, 01:05 AM
What good is a zpm when they have 80?

JanusAncient
July 5th, 2005, 02:35 AM
My word, a planet sized Stargate, think of the size the object that would be sent through, if it is meant for a ship, then how massive that ship, a race that could accomplish this would have to be related, or more advanced than the Ancients, no?

kirmit
July 5th, 2005, 03:42 AM
is doesn't say a planet sized stargate, it says a planet sized stargate portal so it probly means they can generate a portal that works the same way as a stargate.

Gen. Raven
July 5th, 2005, 06:16 AM
HAHAHA! Ok picture this: The Ori get all pissed at us and decide to invade Earth. So they dial Earth and somehow prevent iris from closing. They get in their MASSIVE ship and go through their MASSIVE gate. They get to Earth and all that comes through the gate is like something the size of a PJ...with some pissed off Ori/Priors whatever. And SG-1 is standing there in the gate room staring....also RDA makes a rare appearance....
O'Neill: Hey nice ship you got there....
Teal'c: Indeed...
Ori/Prior: Shut up.....

Gen. Raven
July 5th, 2005, 06:18 AM
But in reality yea it's most likely NOT a gate.....unless all the gates in THEIR galaxy are that size....which I doubt. Most likely some sort of device similar to a gate....but not a gate....cause that would be just TOO funny!

knowsfords
July 5th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Thats exactly what I think, its designed to work like a gate... but can open a window/event horizon anywhere like a hyperspace generator.

hungrytrash
July 5th, 2005, 01:31 PM
SHHH! It's a gate. I win :D. This is reminding me of Halo so much now...Giant rings...plagues...cool enemies...rebellions in the enemies...the whole "extermination" thing. :D

Elitenova
July 5th, 2005, 06:46 PM
probably season nine is the last season and a spinoff with the Prometheus class ships and a space station outside the Ori Galaxy. War breaks out.

QuiGonJohn
July 5th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Yep, I think it'd be useless unless you've got a similar sized one to connect to.

Mio
July 5th, 2005, 08:23 PM
You know, I was just watching Thirdspace :D

But back on topic....

Its probably just a powerful one way transportation device.

Quartz
July 5th, 2005, 09:31 PM
This is an interesting development. I'm inclined to believe it would work much like the gate system developed by the ancients, but given the dominating nature of the Ori, they built a separate system of their own, designed to their needs.

The ancients weren't interested in conquest, at least that's what they want us to believe, but the Ori could build a system of these massive gates and do tremendous damage to their enemies with little or no loss of (their) life. Transport (via ship/s) one of these massive gates to a star system and use it to gate a planet out of the star system and into a barren lifeless void. This would doom not only the planet, but the entire star system it came from. At least I think it would, but I don't know physics.

Of course they could *just have a huge portal generator at a stationary location from which they could* stage massive invasions against inferior foes and subjugate them.

*edit*

Helo
July 5th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Anything the size of a planet not a moon a planet. Forget the power. Imagine the manpower. And ships they must have. Their buliding tech would rival the ancients if not be far superior.

LORD MONK
July 5th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Looking way to deep. Back away..... I repeat, back away......

Major Tyler
July 5th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Why bother putting up a spoiler warning if YOU'RE GOING TO PUT THE SPOILER IN THE TITLE?!!! :mad: Thanks a lot! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Gen. Raven
July 6th, 2005, 06:25 AM
Ok so I just read part one of the interview with Brad Wright and Robert Cooper....and they said that the Ori are the original Ancients. The Ori ARE Ancients. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that. They think it's wrong NOT to interfere. Unlike "our" Ancients...So I'm thinking that since the Ori are the original Ancients, that the Ori Galaxy is probably where the Ancients....all Ancients.....came from. So if we assume that the Ancients are the Gatebuilders, then now I'm thinking that these gate-like devices ARE in fact REALLY HUGE Stargates! I mean, "our" Ancients made these small gates....it's plausible to think now that the "Original" Ancients can make MUCH BIGGER gates. I mean, I'm still positive that they couldn't dial out to a smaller Stargate....but I think now that in the Ori Galaxy those HUGE gates might be the norm. Cause they've had all this time to perfect the art of making gates, because even though they're ascended they don't just sit there and do nothing. This is insane, I'm still reeling. So my guess is that "our" Ancients were a faction of the Original Ancients that broke off and left their Galaxy and came here. Probably because of their differnce in opinion about interfering/not interfering. There's so much more I wanna say but can't think of, and also not wanting to get TOO far off-topic. Big....Honkin'......STARGATES! WOW.

GateMan2000
July 6th, 2005, 06:53 AM
I like the idea of making bigger gates. That gives the show the ability to open up more. If Earth were somehow to get one of these gates, entire starships can be transports all of the galaxy.

Tanith
July 6th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Heres a thought, do these new massive gates dial like regular gates? If they do, each chevron would be huge, maybe the size of Europe :S any ideas?

Calicto
July 6th, 2005, 08:01 AM
I say it should be a wormhole for massive fleet transportations.

But we do not know if the Ori have ships or if they need them or not.

kirmit
July 6th, 2005, 08:41 AM
I don't like the idea of the Ori being the original ancients I liked them being a seperate race.

QuiGonJohn
July 6th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Another thing is maybe that article was just an exxageration. Maybe it's a huge honkin' Stargate, that most average ships, (Prometheus, Daedulus, Hatak, Asgard, etc.), could go through. But not actually the size of a planet.

Heaven
July 6th, 2005, 09:22 AM
we dont even know where the ori galaxy is..
for all we know it could be on the other end of the universe.. maybe they use that bigass stargate to travel very far.

uknesvuinng
July 6th, 2005, 10:45 AM
I don't like the idea of the Ori being the original ancients I liked them being a seperate race.
I agree. Making them yet another faction of Ancients kinda sucks some of the depth away from the Stargate universe. Instead of a few uber-advanced races hanging around in places, they just have the Ancients who seemed to have done everything back in the day. Sometimes I think the Ori being ascended furlings would be a better idea.

How confirmed is this "big stargate" rumor? Honestly, it seems kinda cheap to me as well, but they could pull it off without seeming like a B5 jumpgate ripoff. Otherwise, they might as well send out the newly built Ancient Tech enhanced BC-303 Excalibur (the sword's just an artsy power source) to search the galaxy for a cure to the Drah... Ori plague.

hungrytrash
July 6th, 2005, 11:20 AM
What if this could be the purpose of the 9th chevron? Something to do with giant gates. P.S. People stop saying "Big Honkin' Magnets." It's stupid and old. Geesh it gets annoying when I see that.

EventHorizon
July 6th, 2005, 11:31 AM
I like the big stargate, and I like the fact that they are the original "Ancients." Remember, we are not the first evolution of humans. And, never was it stated that the "Ancients" that we know and love are the "first ones" either. These people are even more ancient than our "Ancients." This makes a lot of sense, if we are reading into it correctly. That would explain why our "Ancients" will not interfere. Our "Ancients" left their own galaxy to escape their "Ancients" and vowed never to become like them.

Think of it like the settlers of North America vowing never to live in monarchy (except for Canadians, who are just in denial...kidding). Please don't turn this into a political debate, just an example.

sandyer
July 6th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Ever thought that the Ori split from the ancients because they craved power.

kirmit
July 6th, 2005, 11:59 AM
I don't think it worked like that, my view is our ancients left their home galaxy to go out there and explore whilst the rest stayed behide and sumhow became corrupt.

GoVols
July 6th, 2005, 12:23 PM
I find it hard to belive that someone could build a stargate the size of a planet, other than say one the size of Pluto.

But just for arguments sake lets say that this is true. Say they have a gate with 1,000 mile diameter. The writers have thought this through im sure. It would be useless unles the gates scaled things. Say a ship goes through this large gate and is 10% the size of the gate. When it comes out to a normal gate, i would immagine it would be 10% the size of normal gate. So the Ori launch a fleet at any target, and the ships are miniturized.

So look for swarms of miniture ori ships to be flying around the SGC this year.

kirmit
July 6th, 2005, 12:30 PM
I don't think it is an actual gate, it's probly like opening a hyperspace window except it's instantaneous travel, but i doubt it's an actual gate

Jarnin
July 6th, 2005, 06:04 PM
I think the planet sized gates are the first stargates the ancients built.

If you look at the real science behind building a wormhole, you're gonna need a couple of rings the size of a planet just to send something as small as a ship through it.

The progression of ancient technology eventually allowed them to integrate teleportation and their wormholes into the Stargate technology we know and love. The newer gates sends only a persons information through, instead of sending a whole person. That means you can use a much smaller wormhole, with less energy required to power it. In other words, you no longer need planet sized gates, only rings big enough for people/vehicles.

the fifth man
July 6th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Real stargate or not, the idea is intriguing. One thing's for sure, it should be cool to see how tptb pull it off.

briguy213
July 6th, 2005, 06:32 PM
They probally just have a wormhole generator that can create a super huge wormhole. Since they called it a stargate, it probally just uses the same dialing technique as the stargate.

TechnoWraith
July 6th, 2005, 06:51 PM
I've always liked big stargates, but a planet-sized stargate? How big is the DHD? Let me guess, you need a spaceship just to dial the DHD, right? (And you better hope you got a great pilot, too!) :p

On another note, define planet-sized. Their planets could be much smaller then ours. (Ok - possibly the stupidest idea in the entire thread, but what the heck. I thought i would throw that one out anyway). "Planet-sized" is a relative term if you ask me. Earth is planet sized. So is Jupiter! And 1,500 earths fit inside Jupiter!

jree
July 6th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Just speculating: What if they send people from their galaxy to our galaxy to convert some people to worship the Ori then the Ori give the converts the technology to build a planet sized stargate in our galaxy thus you can open a stargate between the two galaxies assuming the Ori galaxy also has a planet sized stargate. The new stargate would have the original 7 chevrons plus the extra chevron for the galaxy. Depending on how far away the Ori galaxy is they might use extra chevrons to triangulate.

But than again I could be totally wrong. But it would be kinda cool.

uknesvuinng
July 6th, 2005, 07:37 PM
I've always liked big stargates, but a planet-sized stargate? How big is the DHD? Let me guess, you need a spaceship just to dial the DHD, right? (And you better hope you got a great pilot, too!) :p

On another note, define planet-sized. Their planets could be much smaller then ours. (Ok - possibly the stupidest idea in the entire thread, but what the heck. I thought i would throw that one out anyway). "Planet-sized" is a relative term if you ask me. Earth is planet sized. So is Jupiter! And 1,500 earths fit inside Jupiter!
There's an episode of the old Fantastic Four cartoon in which atoms were actually really small planets. Maybe that's the planet-size. They took miniaturization to the extreme.

Osiris-RA
July 6th, 2005, 07:40 PM
it wouln't work rite without a recieving stargate of the same size. You can't send an astroid though. it just wouldn't work.
Probably the size wouldnt matter. It's still a Stargate ... just one of humongous proportions...

Quartz
July 7th, 2005, 12:21 AM
The Ori could simply send four separate ships that work together to form this masive stargate. No, not the gate in four seperate pieces, but four ships that align to create a gate of massive proportion which they can move, in a limited fashion, in unison. This "gate" wouldn't necessarily be defined by four dimensions we know and love.

Acropolis
July 7th, 2005, 01:07 AM
in the ep where baal dials all gates what would happen if they though a zpm through would all gates get a zpm?

LordHart
July 7th, 2005, 06:40 AM
I just want to point out to all the people going on saying "aha, their ships and that will shrink when they go through the gate! XD" that Orlin built a VERY small Stargate in Sam's basement. Did he grow when he went through? Think. :rolleyes:

Gen. Raven
July 7th, 2005, 09:17 AM
I think the planet sized gates are the first stargates the ancients built.

If you look at the real science behind building a wormhole, you're gonna need a couple of rings the size of a planet just to send something as small as a ship through it.

The progression of ancient technology eventually allowed them to integrate teleportation and their wormholes into the Stargate technology we know and love. The newer gates sends only a persons information through, instead of sending a whole person. That means you can use a much smaller wormhole, with less energy required to power it. In other words, you no longer need planet sized gates, only rings big enough for people/vehicles.

That actually is correct. You would need a HUGE wormhole just to send something small, so I guess I had it backwards. Scientifically big gates being first makes much more sense now. But knowing the writers they'll make it the way I originally thought and make these huge gates the newest gates. I hope I'm wrong though! Good job Jarnin, I wasn't thinking clearly when I first posted cause I was just soo damn excited! But yea that makes sense.

July 7th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Don't feel too bad. Maybe they ARE newer. After all, maybe at first they weren't able to send through the actual object but rather had to deconstruct it and reconstruct it like the gates we know do. Maybe the Orii for some reason needed a way to send an object through WITHOUT doing that. So they developed a real wormhole that could transmit the actual matter back and forth.

Or maybe they use it to send an entire fleet of ships through the gate to attack their targets.

Nee
July 7th, 2005, 09:45 AM
in the ep where baal dials all gates what would happen if they though a zpm through would all gates get a zpm?
heheh excellent. :D

CYBEREAGLE19
July 7th, 2005, 09:31 PM
maybe its what most are staying, a hyperspace gate for ships without a hyperdrive, like the borg in star trek have trapswarp gates

briguy213
July 7th, 2005, 09:57 PM
maybe its what most are staying, a hyperspace gate for ships without a hyperdrive, like the borg in star trek have trapswarp gates

no... not star trek. My mom says I keep sounding like a treky.

jonno
July 13th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Silly theory, but you never know:

9th Chevron inputs a scaling function - ie, scales down a spaceship (for example) relative to the size of the gate.

eg - when sending a spaceship from a stargate of area 10km2, to one of 1km2, it is reduced in size by a factor of 10 when emerging from the smaller gate. So - you could have 38 different sizes of stargates throughout the universe.

By this token, if we send a MALP from earth, to this massive stargate, the MALP - and any team members who follow will become absolutely massive - planet sized in fact.

I must admit - that is a horrible theory. I think i need to go to bed now, my Brain seems to have turned to jello.

oragans
July 14th, 2005, 01:28 AM
The only thing i can think oof maybe it is network of planet sized gates and how they travel around / but it must be weapon - its gonna be something good we know that.

Ex-Superhero
July 14th, 2005, 05:30 AM
That actually is correct. You would need a HUGE wormhole just to send something small, so I guess I had it backwards. Scientifically big gates being first makes much more sense now. But knowing the writers they'll make it the way I originally thought and make these huge gates the newest gates. I hope I'm wrong though! Good job Jarnin, I wasn't thinking clearly when I first posted cause I was just soo damn excited! But yea that makes sense.

you bloody ******.... :mad:

Gen. Raven
July 14th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Stop wankin' your DUDE and get back on topic noob!

Ex-Superhero
July 14th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Stop wankin' your DUDE and get back on topic noob!

A true Supreme Grandmaster could have come back with something better. You sir are no Supreme Grandmaster !! :cool:

Gen. Raven
July 14th, 2005, 06:06 AM
Damnit Scooter! Now you're startin' to piss me off... you probably think that these new gates are made out of petrified DUDE'S don't you?!

Ex-Superhero
July 14th, 2005, 06:08 AM
wait.... umm..... what were we talking about?

Gen. Raven
July 14th, 2005, 06:10 AM
Read, Bambi.....Read.

Ex-Superhero
July 14th, 2005, 06:13 AM
I.... CAN'T read!!!!! *runs into corner in fetal position* :(

NakedJehutyV2
July 14th, 2005, 12:19 PM
it doesn't say stargate. it says stargate portal, could be tech based of the ancients stargate.

Pkunk
July 15th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Silly theory, but you never know:

9th Chevron inputs a scaling function - ie, scales down a spaceship (for example) relative to the size of the gate.

eg - when sending a spaceship from a stargate of area 10km2, to one of 1km2, it is reduced in size by a factor of 10 when emerging from the smaller gate. So - you could have 38 different sizes of stargates throughout the universe.

By this token, if we send a MALP from earth, to this massive stargate, the MALP - and any team members who follow will become absolutely massive - planet sized in fact.

I must admit - that is a horrible theory. I think i need to go to bed now, my Brain seems to have turned to jello.

I think your completely missing the point.

Logically the humongous planet sized stargates would be in space and on a completely different stargate network. Which means these "Spacegates" would connect only to each other. No need for any fancy scaling nonsense.

Interestingly , this sounds very much like the "Spacegate" concept introduced in the Stargate:Horizon fan series @ http://www.stargatehorizon.com , where there would be a seperate network of huge sized space based gates meant exclusively to transport entire ships across vast distances.

NakedJehutyV2
March 3rd, 2006, 08:44 PM
where do ya think the new working supergate is located?

i think

nox
tollana
aschen

planets

damn too many to remember. i'll leave ya'll to fill the rest

Hybridbabe
March 3rd, 2006, 09:23 PM
I'm wondering if, perhaps, it's somewhere we already know of, but haven't seen since the second season.

Yup, I'm talking about the blackhole we discovered in ep... what? 2.16? Matter of Time? technically, I guess it would be very easy to send troops to, because of the "pinch" effect the blackhole would have.

What I mean by "pinch" effect is how the black hole formed on P3W-451 is starting to tunnel through the wormhole established between that planet's gate, and the one Sam redirected it to. The black hole would keep eating up space/time/matter and sucking it towards the stargate, creating a "pinch" effect that would bring each area, P3W-451 and the new planet, closer together.

Would be relatively easy to reroute the supergate, and create another "ripple effect" of sorts, where the Ori ships' matter streams could cross the blackholes' established wormhole, and come out on either side (aka through both gates) for a split, two front attack. Obviously they have some way of counteracting the gravitational pull of the blackholes powering the gates: otherwise, they wouldn't have been able to get their "supergate parts" through the original, smaller gate in "BeachHead".

NakedJehutyV2
March 3rd, 2006, 09:53 PM
if carter can then so could the ori

Bragi
March 4th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Well, it's gotta be a planet that had a Stargate, and it's gotta be in a part of the galaxy that isn't populated, otherwise we'd know where it is right away.

Now, given how the next season is going to begin, it's likely reasonably close to a certain planet we've all grown fond of over the past 10 years.

metroid
March 4th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Given that the ancients spread _alot_ of stargates around i think it's like searching for a hay colored needle in a parking lot sized haystack (and i do mean one of those big ass parking lots :P)

the fifth man
March 4th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Well, it's gotta be a planet that had a Stargate, and it's gotta be in a part of the galaxy that isn't populated, otherwise we'd know where it is right away.

Now, given how the next season is going to begin, it's likely reasonably close to a certain planet we've all grown fond of over the past 10 years.

I'd have to agree with you on that, Bragi. Guess we'll just have to wait and see if we're right.:)

Scyld
March 4th, 2006, 11:57 PM
if carter can then so could the ori

Nonsense! Carter has a weapon that far outstrips anything the Ori could possibly throw at us. Technobabble > all.

Sauron18
March 5th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Nonsense! Carter has a weapon that far outstrips anything the Ori could possibly throw at us. Technobabble > all.
Carter also has hotness.

JanusAncient
March 5th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Well, I hope that it will be on a planet in the center of the galaxy, that way the Ori could easily launch simultaneous attacks, on every human populated planet in the galaxy.

Imgnryflagdotcom
March 5th, 2006, 09:37 AM

Like maybe.....

chulak (Spelling?)

Because we know in S10 that

The Ori attack Chulak in the season opener

NakedJehutyV2
March 5th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Like maybe.....

chulak (Spelling?)

Because we know in S10 that

The Ori attack Chulak in the season opener

no cuz the supergate is already working in s9

NakedJehutyV2
March 5th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Carter also has hotness.

nah she's just average.

chick from inferno is hot.

Ancient 1
March 5th, 2006, 08:51 PM
I'm still wondering why the ORI need a supergate if their technology is in line with the Ancients; or even the Asgard as far as that goes. With the help of the Asgard, even the Tau'ri are traveling from galaxy to galaxy these days. ;)

PG15
March 5th, 2006, 08:52 PM
But do we know how far the Ori galaxy is?

jowb88
March 6th, 2006, 12:14 AM
even tough the ori are ascended and have the knowledge of the workings of the universe they still rejected most things scientific in favour of religion so they now have to invent all the technology form the knowledge they have but the alterans have been embracing and creating technology for a long time and have a grater knowledge of how to put things together to have a desired effect and now that they have the knowledge of how the universe works they can utilise that to optimise there technologies if they decided to descend like Merlin did so what im saying is that the alterans are more powerful then the ori in tech

Sauron18
March 6th, 2006, 06:30 PM
But do we know how far the Ori galaxy is?

Took the Altera thousands of years to get to the MW, of course, they didn't have a direction or anything, neither were they as advanced then (well kinda), but still, probably a long time.

riddermark
March 10th, 2006, 09:35 AM
While i was watching Beachead and the trailer for tonights episode i was wondering why the Ori would need to build a Supergate, surely they would have the advanced hyperdrives needed to make an intergalatic journey happen in a matter of days! Why go to all the hassle of building a Supergate, true it would make things that much faster, but wouldnt it be easier not to?!

Also, why do they need to have a blackhole on the Milky way end of the supergate, incoming wormholes draw their power from the off world source, in this case they would draw there power from the supergate in the ori galaxy, so surely there isnt the need for one this end unless you wanted 2 way travel.

vandred
March 10th, 2006, 09:41 AM
ok, i was wondering the same thing and also whats more stupid when the ori ships come through the supergate those toilet ships as i call them have more medium size stargates on them as well? so wtf? they already have a supergate lol so u think maybe with that they like give the ship power, since remember in beachhead that prior put his hand in the normal gate and then they sent the pices and also before that they gave the prior a shiled and all when the wormhole was open. So thats my theory

Apogeal Alpha 01
March 10th, 2006, 09:45 AM
An excellent point as in Atlantis the Ancients have already perfected the means to jump between galaxies. Even the Atlantis city ship has the capability to jump between galaxies. But we don't know the limitations of the technology. Maybe the galaxy the Ori are in is many times more distant? Or it adds a lot more drama to the situation if the gates construction can be challenged rather than the Ori fleet simply arriving en masse and laying waste to the galaxy.

Blitz
March 10th, 2006, 09:56 AM
just because one race has it doesnt mean all races have it

jenks
March 10th, 2006, 09:57 AM
My guess is the Ori galaxy is alot further away than Pegasus or Ida...

Apogeal Alpha 01
March 10th, 2006, 10:04 AM
True, they may have simply chosen a different means to the same end, but it limits the mobility of the ships as they have to arrive at a fixed location. While they are nearly invulnerable, not entirely so.

A wild guess about why a black hole is needed: it allows the wormhole to remain open indefinitely. The fleet could be very large.

gary83
March 10th, 2006, 10:13 AM
It could be a easier way for them to get there ships into the galaxy, sort of catch everyone out by suprise.

We dont know where the gate is so, it could be in the middle of the galaxy so they might have wanted to get a quick foothold in the galaxy instead of fighting there way in through other galaxies.

thats what i think anyway

Bthazor
March 10th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Why was the invasion of Normandy on D-Day so important? To establish a foothold and a forward base of operations. Unless we are talking intergalactic travel in less than a day, the gate would be necessary as the key to an EFFICIENT supplyline.

FallenAngelII
March 10th, 2006, 10:49 AM
While i was watching Beachead and the trailer for tonights episode i was wondering why the Ori would need to build a Supergate, surely they would have the advanced hyperdrives needed to make an intergalatic journey happen in a matter of days! Why go to all the hassle of building a Supergate, true it would make things that much faster, but wouldnt it be easier not to?!

Also, why do they need to have a blackhole on the Milky way end of the supergate, incoming wormholes draw their power from the off world source, in this case they would draw there power from the supergate in the ori galaxy, so surely there isnt the need for one this end unless you wanted 2 way travel.

Because building a supergate is so much easier than building hyperdrives for all of their ships. And faster as well.

ok, i was wondering the same thing and also whats more stupid when the ori ships come through the supergate those toilet ships as i call them have more medium size stargates on them as well? so wtf? they already have a supergate lol so u think maybe with that they like give the ship power, since remember in beachhead that prior put his hand in the normal gate and then they sent the pices and also before that they gave the prior a shiled and all when the wormhole was open. So thats my theory

They still need a gate to go through on this end. Having a stargate doesn't let you magically travel anywhere you want whether they have a stargate there or not.

Not to mention their followers are primitive morons kept at that level for a purpose: To make them depend on the Ori more.

And as Bthazor said, they are looking for a permanent solution. Not a quick fix.

Mattathias2.0
March 10th, 2006, 11:14 AM

Well, remember, there was a social break-up between what we know as the Ancients, and the Ori.

The Ori focused more on religion... The Ancients focused more on technological development.

My guess would be that the Ori do not posses intergalactic space travel... They can travel within their galaxy, but that's just about it.

I think the Supergate is a way for them to manuver their forces to a location they wish to conquer... without all the time consumption of travelling between galaxies...

Plus look at it this way: Our Ancients knew... The Ori knew of our Ancients... I have a feeling either the Ori may have tried to conquer this galaxy before (the Plague that nearly wiped out our Ancients) or were waiting for something from our galaxy to contact them and see their life to enter our galaxy.

Mattathias

Kingomon
March 10th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Because the Even with all the Intellgent knowledge they need the right materal to do so besides as far as we know they could be Billions of billions of billions of light years away and it would take to long. Besides why waste materal to run a hyperdrive for each ship when you can make them all appear useing the same materal and at the same time. Plus they don't want there followers to grow to knowledge bul

GhostPoet
March 10th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Like a few others said..it's easier to get materials to make one big gate rather than seperate drives for EVERY single ship. The Orii have advanced knoweldge...but they still need followers to get the materials to BUILD the ships. :)

Auralis
March 10th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Coolness :)

JUNIOR
March 10th, 2006, 12:28 PM
While i was watching Beachead and the trailer for tonights episode i was wondering why the Ori would need to build a Supergate, surely they would have the advanced hyperdrives needed to make an intergalatic journey happen in a matter of days!

Okay, if I had to guess it would be that the Ori galaxy is much farther away than any other galaxy mentioned in the SG universe (Ida,...), and they obviously couldn't fit their ships through a regular stargate and so you have the supergate. They gave some hint to this when Daniel speculated in Avalon part 2 that the Ori galaxy is probably much further away than anyplace they've ever tried to go, even Pegasus. Daniel also hinted to this when he was reading the Ancient text (Avalon pt 2) that said the Altreans were on a great journey through space that took many years. Now if the Ancient took that long to get here then you'd have to think that it would take the Ori a little while to get to the Milky Way by ship even with ascended knowledge.

Why go to all the hassle of building a Supergate, true it would make things that much faster, but wouldnt it be easier not to?!

Again looking at what was said in Avalon and Beachhead it could possibly take years for them to reach the Milky Way by ship and this might not fit their time table.

The black hole was on the end of the other supergate in the Ori galaxy. That’s why the prior needed the shield to form the singularity and the black hole would provide the vacuum force needed to compress the planet into a singularity within the shield to contain it and open a worm hole. Sam explained this after she realized that the Earth/Jaffa weapons were powering the shield.

Sauron18
March 10th, 2006, 12:55 PM
The Ori Galaxy is quite probably extremely far away, especially since they had no idea there were still people over here. And yes, the Ancients blocked them, but you can't block something if you'r really close to it, I mean, they must still have a "line of site" over many galaxies.

NakedJehutyV2
March 10th, 2006, 01:59 PM
cuz the ori galxy is so far away that it'll take the asgard a month to get there

Spell_Daemon
March 10th, 2006, 03:41 PM
No!!! As others have said... it is way to far, even for their advanced hyperdrives. That is why the Ori are intelligent enough to create other ways. But even then, It is just better to have a supergate that you can instantaniously get back-up if need be, instead of waiting for weeks!

I don't think its that much hassel to build the Supergate, I actually think it is better than waisting power to get to our galaxy.

Having a black hole on this end is probably the only way to make the gate as well as maintain the charge that keeps the gate peices together!

Ori Warrior
March 10th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Yes I remember that 1,000 year journey or thereabouts the Ancients took to get here. (maybe they stopped here and there on the way, but coming here was probably a real journey that would take more than a lifetime to complete.) If Pegasus and Ida are like traveling from on small town to the next, say 5 miles away, the Ori galaxy is probably like going from New York to Australia or China. :cool:

Bragi
March 10th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Why take the streets when the freeway is so close?

Ote_4_T
March 10th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Couldn't we have just parked a ship inside the supergate to keep them from connecting to us? I mean, that is one of the ways that You can make a gate not connect......

Right?

Or am I just sorta almost dumb?

Bragi
March 10th, 2006, 06:53 PM
^^^^^

Yeah....... I suggested that when they were talking about changing out the control crystals.

Unfortunately, I'm in my bedroom in Texas... and they're thousands of light years away....... and........ you know..... its not real.....

Lord Shiva
March 10th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Simple.

The Ori are Gods.

Their technology is not. They are not invading our galaxy because the Ancients would stop them, but they will not interfere with an army of zealots. Thus the supergate, and an army coming from a galaxy a LOT farther away then Pegasus.

the fifth man
March 10th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Why was the invasion of Normandy on D-Day so important? To establish a foothold and a forward base of operations. Unless we are talking intergalactic travel in less than a day, the gate would be necessary as the key to an EFFICIENT supplyline.

I couldn't agree more. Besides, it is my opinion that the Ori galaxy is way further out than we've ever traveled before in this show. Maybe even on the other side of the universe. The Supergate would allow for instantaneous reinforcements.

the fifth man
March 10th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Why take the streets when the freeway is so close?

You make an excellent point, my friend.:)

Kanten
March 10th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Simple solution, we need to build a super-iris.

Bragi
March 10th, 2006, 10:47 PM
You make an excellent point, my friend.:)

I always do.

It's my inner-Rodney.

reddyj31
March 11th, 2006, 03:59 AM
Why do we drive in a parkway and park in a driveway....Sorry couldnt help myself....back on point...

I agree with alot of you...the Ori galaxy had to have been REALLY far away. especially since the Ancients were protecting that part of the universe....

It explains the supergates. I wonder which is farther away..the Wraith or the Ori...hmmmm

ohhhhh...the Asgard are in Atlantis ....just watching it now

ancientaction
March 11th, 2006, 05:07 AM
Simple solution, we need to build a super-iris.

I thought of that after the show was over,

we know that the tokra have the ability to emit a shield in a randome place. and the asguard are good at powering them...

they should have erected a shield infront of the event horizon , it may have only hold against ONE oir ship, but thats one less in battle.

Lord You
March 11th, 2006, 07:15 AM
More than likely the ship would have been destroyed. You need to jam most of the gate for that to work. Or at least the edges.

BuuZeroC
March 11th, 2006, 11:18 AM
In Camelot, they had the idea to dial out with the supergate by replacing the master control crystal. My main question is how would they know where to dial? Assuming a supergate can only connect to another supergate.

Secondly is, how would they dial the supergate? standard dhd? remote interface similar to the sgc dialing computer?

interested in your thoughts.

Wally West
March 11th, 2006, 11:31 AM
i think they use the same thing that the Ori would have used to dial back to there galxay. this would imply that there is a way to shut it down from our side witch would be good for us.

ckwongau
March 11th, 2006, 01:08 PM
I think Earth scientist has leant a lot more about Stargate and DHD,And remember many stargate in Pegasus is in space, and may b they find a lot of stargate design information from the Atlantis database, and the Earth aslo has the puddlejumbe/timeship in Area 51, it has a mini DHD inside .

I wonder if we can remove the mimi DHD from the puddle jumber and timeship and use it control the supergate. i hope they keep the supergate ,and when the War is over, Milyway and Ori galaxy can keep in contact, and may be build another one in Pegasus too.

Korean_Turtle87
March 11th, 2006, 01:39 PM
because the writers felt like making a supergate instead of having the ori install superhypverdrive systems. plus, i wonder if the shields would even hold against such speed

Pharaoh Atem
March 11th, 2006, 02:44 PM
there might had been something in the control Crystal in it to reprogram a super gate dialing program.

then all carter would have to do is go to her laptop make some crazy program that would normally take someone a month to make and dial the gate. and then send bunch of gate busters (beach head) and destroy the super gate and no more ori ships

500 posts !!!!

Jack Bauer
March 11th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Now how big is a supergate?
On the beachhead episode, carter tells that one section of the gate is about 10 meters long.
That seems about right if you look at this picture, that shows one of the pieces colliding with prometheus
http://xs71.xs.to/pics/06100/gate2.JPG (http://xs.to)

But now on Camelot, Carter is transported to one the sections, to replace the control crystal
Carter is in the circle:
http://xs71.xs.to/pics/06100/gate1.JPG (http://xs.to)
But that looks a whole lot bigger!

So that's a little inconsistent, or am I missing something?

Mattathias2.0
March 11th, 2006, 03:16 PM
It's because she is whole lot smaller than the Prometheus ;)

Mattathias

Jonzey
March 11th, 2006, 03:27 PM
I would say the Beachhead gate was a smaller version, originally intended to allow for the faster transport of Priors to the galaxy in shuttles (remember, at this point their intention was to convert the unbelievers). It's only after the Fourth Horseman do the Priors start talking about wiping out the ancients and destroying all unbelievers.

And remember, the ships were launched from the Ori galaxy as soon as they were built, which was at the end of 'Crusade'. If they planned to send their massive warships through originally, why build a supergate which will sit there inactive for months until the ships are finished?

Jagard
March 11th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Perhaps the first supergate was designed for a smaller class of Ori ship that we haven't seen yet. It could be that they made it just large enough to get something through to protect their beachhead while the Ori's followers finished up the big ships that came through in Camelot.

After all, from what I gathered from Crusade, the Ori only recently finished constructing those really big ships.

edit: lol, guess we think alike Jonzey, though I think your theory for having a smaller supergate makes more sense than mine.

Luzifer's right hand
March 11th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Another question is how they brought the parts to the Milky Way.
Nobody can claim that these parts fit through a stargate.

aAnubiSs
March 11th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Another question is how they brought the parts to the Milky Way.
Nobody can claim that these parts fit through a stargate.
Send small ones through the gate, build a supergate, activate, send larger ones through and build a super supergate.

Wonder if they would have to destroy another planet, or if they could use the same singularity.

michael
March 11th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Maybe the first supergate was a distraction to allow them to built this supergate.:cool:

Hybridbabe
March 11th, 2006, 04:01 PM
It could be that the gate in Beachhead was, like other people said, for Prior shuttles and/or scout ships. Remember: the Ori's main enemy is us, who have spread our influence to other species/nations on other worlds. It's because of US that most of the the rest of the galaxy don't follow the Ori. Scout ships could look around, find our planet, and report back to the main fleet, telling them where we are and our weaknesses/strengths. By wiping us out first, the all powerful Tau'ri, the ones who defeated most of the Goa'uld and the Replicators, it would severely cripple the beliefs of the rest of the galaxy.

The 2nd gate, the bigger one, could have come through the gate in billions of pieces that had to be assembled on site, or, what could've happened is that each piece of the gate is two distinct "Ships" that fit together to form the pieces. That way, they're small enough to go through the gate, but it would take less time to assemble.

Jack Bauer
March 11th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Send small ones through the gate, build a supergate, activate, send larger ones through and build a super supergate.

Wonder if they would have to destroy another planet, or if they could use the same singularity.

I like it, that would explain it.
Those Ori ships are so massive that they need to build the ultra gate in 2 steps.

Zamboni
March 11th, 2006, 06:24 PM
The real question is: how do they ALWAYS know which side is the front side? I mean, regular gates have the DHD right in front of them so you know where to go, but the super-super gate doesn't even have DHD...

Why didn't they park the ships behind the gate? And if they knew which was the front side of the gate, why park there? Hit the Ori from behind! That's what you do with toilets, you don't go head in!!!

The super super gate is so massive, they should've just duck behind it for cover. Heck if the Ori fired on the gate it might even disable / destroy it, two gates with one stone... I mean bird...

Descended
March 11th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Something I noticed when watching "Camelot", is that even though the supergate is dialed into a blackhole (its power source) they forgot to add the "time dilation" effect that such a connection brings about, remember the episode "A Matter of Time", where time moves exponentially slower the closer you get to the gate, shouldn't something similar happen here?

Descended

V-MAN
March 11th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Something I noticed when watching "Camelot", is that even though the supergate is dialed into a blackhole (its power source) they forgot to add the "time dilation" effect that such a connection brings about, remember the episode "A Matter of Time", where time moves exponentially slower the closer you get to the gate, shouldn't something similar happen here?

Descended

The Ori pwn tho so they prolly have some pwnage device to counter that.

Cherriey
March 11th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Who needs DHDs when you have the Ori's power of ham based primarily in methane?

Descended
March 11th, 2006, 07:02 PM
That device would make a really tempting target then, imagine if it took weeks for an Ori ship to even emerge from the event horizon.

I also wondered why, instead of just waiting around for the supergate to activate, they didnt park a ship in the threshold of the event horizon which should prevent the wormhole from forming (i.e. the same concept as burying the gate), or extend a shield along the event horizon (i.e. forming an atlantis-like iris) or even use the ships to pull the gate into the event horizon of the collapsed planet (i.e. dropping it into the singularity) Seems like lots of things they could have tried, other then the "one small step for Sam" spacewalk.

Descended

Auralis
March 11th, 2006, 07:22 PM
They should have known which side of the supergate is the kawuush side after kvasir scaned the gate for the loction and kind of control crystal.

deadman
March 11th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Why not take several Gatebuster Nuclear Warheads and attach them all to the pieces, about 10 and use a shield to hold in the explosion to destory of at the very least melt it.

PG15
March 11th, 2006, 08:10 PM
The real question is: how do they ALWAYS know which side is the front side? I mean, regular gates have the DHD right in front of them so you know where to go, but the super-super gate doesn't even have DHD...

Why didn't they park the ships behind the gate? And if they knew which was the front side of the gate, why park there? Hit the Ori from behind! That's what you do with toilets, you don't go head in!!!

The super super gate is so massive, they should've just duck behind it for cover. Heck if the Ori fired on the gate it might even disable / destroy it, two gates with one stone... I mean bird...

See, that wouldn't work, since, you know, maybe they can just, you know go around the gate.

It's not rocket science.

PG15
March 11th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Because they want to invade...in style!

Bragi
March 11th, 2006, 08:47 PM
It's big.

That's all you need to know.

Daryl Froggy
March 11th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Why not take several Gatebuster Nuclear Warheads and attach them all to the pieces, about 10 and use a shield to hold in the explosion to destory of at the very least melt it.
I think that the Jaffa nation Ha'Taks tried bombarding the thing for several minutes/hours and it had no effect. Now nukes may be better but they may have had the same effect that the Ha'Taks did, none. But this is a moot point it has already been written and aired so unless the writers use something cheap like sending Daniel back in time to before he and Vala use the Inter-Galactic communication device so that he can prevent it from happening we are stuck with the present situation.

DrMongol
March 11th, 2006, 09:41 PM
They should make a Super-Super-Super (or however many supers it takes) Gate which is big enough to swallow planets. Now that would be interesting and original.

zpm!!
March 11th, 2006, 10:18 PM

Descended

the blackhole formed by the planet has a shield around it, and it blocks all interaction with the out side of the shield.!!!! hello, really and truly, the ori are related to the ancient's. infact there technology is the same. did u notice the control crystals, they match the one's that are in altantis's controls and in the jumpers.

SG-1ssm
March 11th, 2006, 10:25 PM
I would say the Beachhead gate was a smaller version, originally intended to allow for the faster transport of Priors to the galaxy in shuttles (remember, at this point their intention was to convert the unbelievers). It's only after the Fourth Horseman do the Priors start talking about wiping out the ancients and destroying all unbelievers.

And remember, the ships were launched from the Ori galaxy as soon as they were built, which was at the end of 'Crusade'. If they planned to send their massive warships through originally, why build a supergate which will sit there inactive for months until the ships are finished?

Either that or the gate has a strange habit of changing size

the fifth man
March 11th, 2006, 10:46 PM

Nice points.:) I couldn't agree more. That is the most likely scenario to me, anyways.

Hawaii_Boy_808
March 11th, 2006, 11:09 PM
I did some estimates base on on some screencap I made (look down) and come up with a circumference of 10,500. I can up with this by the super gate pices being 175x390 ft. With 42 pices being on the computer screen and about 75 ft between each gate. So thats (175*42)+(75*42)=10500 ft. So the diamitor of the gate is about 2550 ft (10500/pie-(390*2-gate pices on each side)=2550 ft. So now we can assume that the Ori ships are at close to 1/2 mile wide. But i notice that in the second to the last pic the gate has way more then 42 pices but then again the computer screen shows only 42, so I went from there.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f239/Hawaii_boy_808/00-34-04.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f239/Hawaii_boy_808/00-35-30.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f239/Hawaii_boy_808/00-34-05.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f239/Hawaii_boy_808/00-37-10.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f239/Hawaii_boy_808/00-37-56.jpg

PG15
March 12th, 2006, 12:20 AM
42 eh?

*Insert obvious Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy joke*

PG15
March 12th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Carter said it was a microsingularity, unlike the "normal" singularity we got in "A Matter of Time".

So theortically its effects should be less intense.

spartan 117
March 12th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Because thats what TPTB wanted :cool: .

Auralis
March 12th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Oh its effects are exactly the same, just don't stretch out that far.
The danger of a singularity is directly proportional to its mass.
It has the exact same gravitaional pull then the object had it was formed off,
With one litle exception, you can closer to it then you could to the object.
And that is what maks it dangerous. Since at that point graviation increases above what could be normaly generated by the original object, once you pass the distance that marked the surface of the original object till it reaches infinit at the singulairty itself.

talyn2k1
March 12th, 2006, 07:50 AM
It`s also not beyond belief that they just screwed up the scaling again. We know they did it with the Hatak/304/O`Neill-class scaling so why not with the Supergate.

But short of that, I think the ultragate explanation above is the most plausible.

Peoples_General
March 12th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Now how big is a supergate?
On the beachhead episode, carter tells that one section of the gate is about 10 meters long.
That seems about right if you look at this picture, that shows one of the pieces colliding with prometheus
http://xs71.xs.to/pics/06100/gate2.JPG (http://xs.to)

But now on Camelot, Carter is transported to one the sections, to replace the control crystal
Carter is in the circle:
http://xs71.xs.to/pics/06100/gate1.JPG (http://xs.to)
But that looks a whole lot bigger!

So that's a little inconsistent, or am I missing something?

Yes it's VERY inconsistent. I kept telling people this, but the "metrically challenged" keep saying otherwise.:rolleyes:

Also... if the BC-304 is about 450meters long, but it about 1/2 the size of a Ha'Tak... and the Ha'Tak looks like fighter compared to the Ori starships.

Then its safe to say that the Ori ships are far larger than a half-mile. Since 1mile = 1.6km. If the Ha'Taks are 2x bigger than the 450m long BC-304 then the Ha'Tak should at least be 900m long. If 900m long Ha'Taks look like fighters compared to the Ori starships.... then they're far larger than any of the ships we've seen in StarGate (excluding the Atlantis type City-Ships).

freyr's mother
March 12th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Put a gigantic Iris on it.

Tealcfan
March 12th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Put a gigantic Iris on it.

good idea but the ori ships might ya know kill us before we get the chance

Peoples_General
March 12th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Won't the giant Kawoosh blow it apart? I mean... how are we gonna build something that friggin big?

Anubis1989
March 12th, 2006, 08:41 AM
the kawoosh doesnt destroy the iris on a normal gate. I wud move the gate infront of a sun and wen the ships come through we will then see how much the ori love fire :docianime15:

kirmit
March 12th, 2006, 08:43 AM
I think there is too much of a size difference for it to simply be a mistake, it is probably sumthin the writers will explain in S10 along with the the difference in the size of the o'neill asgard ship.

Peoples_General
the kawoosh doesnt destroy the iris on a normal gate. I wud move the gate infront of a sun and wen the ships come through we will then see how much the ori love fire :docianime15:

Ancient shields can protect against a nuclear blast. The sun is nothing more than nuclear explosion after nuclear explosion.

Flibble

.. or propel it into a black hole. :D

Imgnryflagdotcom
March 12th, 2006, 08:47 AM
we could do all this, but it would make for a bad show. The good guys have to have alot of failures and troubles before they win.

FallenAngelII
March 12th, 2006, 08:47 AM
How about we go back to that planet with the Ori satellite, tow it with us and use it to destroy the Ori ships?

Anubis1989
March 12th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Ancient shields can protect against a nuclear blast. The sun is nothing more than nuclear explosion after nuclear explosion.

Goa'uld shields could protect against a naquadah enhanced nuke but that didnt stop half of apophis' fleet being destroyed wen sam made a sun go supernova in series 4. The nuclear reaction in a sun is also a lot more powerful than the explosive force of a nuclear warhead

FallenAngelII
March 12th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Speaking of Ancient shields, the Orion's shield could only withstand flowing lava for 5.something seconds. I doubt it would've survived going into a sun/supernova.

Daryl Froggy
March 12th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Speaking of Ancient shields, the Orion's shield could only withstand flowing lava for 5.something seconds. I doubt it would've survived going into a sun/supernova.
yeah but a supernova isn't a lava-flow the lava has more mass behind it. Basically the answer to the question, what would hurt more: a red hot feather or two tons of liquid red hot rock?

Anubis1989
March 12th, 2006, 09:25 AM

Wasnt the orion lacking power aswell, mckay just 'hotwired' the shields and hyperdrive for a few seconds to get off the planet

The Prophet
March 12th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Can't we just let the gate be built & before the Ori dial it we fly the Odyseuss into the centre of the gate. The Event Horizon can't form because the Odyseuss would be blocking it... or the Odyseuss would be chopped in half then kawooshed... hey 50/50 chance it'l work! :rolleyes:

Pharaoh Atem
March 12th, 2006, 11:04 AM
use gate busters from beachhead

mitchell did say there do have a lot of those god awful things
i like the idea of a iris but would it hold

IMForeman
March 12th, 2006, 11:04 AM
You could just put some asteroids in the ring, essentially "burying" the Supergate.

FallenAngelII
March 12th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Can't we just let the gate be built & before the Ori dial it we fly the Odyseuss into the centre of the gate. The Event Horizon can't form because the Odyseuss would be blocking it... or the Odyseuss would be chopped in half then kawooshed... hey 50/50 chance it'l work! :rolleyes:

You're onto something! We should've just put a random spaceship/asteroid/whatever into the center of the gate and voila, no dialing for the Ori!

Pharaoh Atem
March 12th, 2006, 11:09 AM
You could just put some asteroids in the ring, essentially "burying" the Supergate.
but where would we get one and how would we get it there earth ships don't have tractor beams

and the asguard are MIA

Alexander E. Brent
March 12th, 2006, 11:12 AM
in beachhead...werent the sgate blocks supose to fit in a normal gate? that thin on which carter stands is to big to fit... what the hezmana am i misin here? have i frellin sleapt throu half of the ep or wha? :mckay:

the Fifth Race
March 12th, 2006, 11:14 AM
I think your right, but just maybe they used a different bigger 'supergate' this time around?.

Alexander E. Brent
March 12th, 2006, 11:21 AM
a bigger one? but then..how the hell did they get it here? all the way from celestis?..it was said, the planet went kaboom while the singularity formed the gate.. so the blocks went thru it..there was no transport ship there which would bring it there :mckay:

Heaven
March 12th, 2006, 11:21 AM
hmm, what do you suppose will happenen if we beam out all the control crystals?
maybe their ships would be reconstructed into easter bunnies.:cool:

Jonzey
March 12th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Maybe each section of the gate is made up of smaller sections which do fit through the gate?

PizzaCelebration
March 12th, 2006, 11:27 AM
If the supergate was smaller in beachead, were the ships the ori planned to send smaller as well? Those ships wouldn't have fit in a smaller supergate.

Øsiris øf the Øri
March 12th, 2006, 11:33 AM
teh gate is about 9 feet in diameter so as long as it didn't get thicker it could be any hieght

PizzaCelebration
March 12th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Those blocks were definately more than 9 feet in more than one direction.

Jonzey
March 12th, 2006, 11:55 AM
If the supergate was smaller in beachead, were the ships the ori planned to send smaller as well? Those ships wouldn't have fit in a smaller supergate.
I'd assume so. The big ships were only activated in 'Crusade'. I mentioned in an earlier thread that they probably had scout ships or something they were planning to use. The whole ''wiping out the unbelievers'' doomsday thing only appeared in the second half of the season. Before that it was a case of converting unbelievers.

immhotep
March 12th, 2006, 11:57 AM
teh gate is about 9 feet in diameter so as long as it didn't get thicker it could be any hieght
the gate is 15 feet in diameter, and the supergate is about 300 metres in diameter

PizzaCelebration
March 12th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Good point, Jonzey. They probably started building the big ships when they realized that "converting the unbelievers" wasn't going to be so easy.

Karec
March 12th, 2006, 12:00 PM
I'd assume so. The big ships were only activated in 'Crusade'. I mentioned in an earlier thread that they probably had scout ships or something they were planning to use. The whole ''wiping out the unbelievers'' doomsday thing only appeared in the second half of the season. Before that it was a case of converting unbelievers.

I agree they brought out the big guns

wowser147
March 12th, 2006, 12:22 PM
The supergate in Beachead could fit into a stargate
but in Camelot, one segment of the supergate was so
big that when Carter was beamed on to it, she looked like
a speck. How did something that big get into MK?
Any guesses?
Also, how big is the supergate?

Pharaoh Atem
March 12th, 2006, 12:26 PM
proabaly ther same way the original got to the milky way

but this time we didn't know there did it

Pharaoh Atem
March 12th, 2006, 12:27 PM
here a thhread on the size

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=25684

Pharaoh Atem
March 12th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Who needs DHDs when you have the Ori's power of ham based primarily in methane?
thats the thing about the ori you don't ask how or why you just accerpt it

i like the idea above that there made the bugger super gate after f4th horseman

The_oracle
March 12th, 2006, 12:48 PM
I do not belive that possibly they simply add more of these 'links' into the super gate depending on what they are sending through, it makes sense, if you want to send through scout vessils you have a small super gate. Where as if you wish to send through those Ori Troop carriers (Giant Toilet Bowls) then you would want a bigger gate, i dont think the sections will be any different its just the ammount of sections there are.

Akai
March 12th, 2006, 12:56 PM
The Stargate is actually 22 feet in diameter. It's twice the size of the ring platform, which is 11 feet in diameter.

The Engineer
March 12th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Maybe in Beachhead was only a testing prototype. What we saw in Camelot was way bigger than the previous supergate. And I think that the elements expand once they arrive at destination.
This is why the cargo ship which is established as being bigger than a stargate was actually smaller than the elements that formed the supergate in Beachhead.

the fifth man
March 12th, 2006, 01:11 PM

I agreed with you in that thread, and I do as well in this one.:) The previous Supergate was no doubt intended for smaller vessels, not these warships. We really ticked them off, and now they mean business. No more trying to convert us, now they intend to annihilate us completely as a threat.

talyn2k1
March 12th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Maybe in Beachhead was only a testing prototype. What we saw in Camelot was way bigger than the previous supergate. And I think that the elements expand once they arrive at destination.
This is why the cargo ship which is established as being bigger than a stargate was actually smaller than the elements that formed the supergate in Beachhead.

That`s a good point. I`d never actually noticed that before.
In the pic below the cargo ship is definitely shorter than the gate segments but it is taller and from the second pic, possibly wider than the gate so is it possible that the only thing stopping a cargo ship from going through a gate is its height. Or did they screw up the scaling in Beachhead aswell and no one noticed?

Thoughts?

n.b. Both pics courtesy of www.stargatecaps.com

immhotep
March 12th, 2006, 02:00 PM
they havent really ever payed attention to scaling for the past few seasons...

Auralis
March 12th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Hrmm, the blocks of the beachhead gate do look different and smaller then in the camelot supergate.
But then in that pic we could see the backside of the blocks while in camelot we see the front side.

Auralis
March 12th, 2006, 02:33 PM
I did some estimates base on on some screencap I made (look down) and come up with a circumference of 10,500. I can up with this by the super gate pices being 175x390 ft. With 42 pices being on the computer screen and about 75 ft between each gate. So thats (175*42)+(75*42)=10500 ft. So the diamitor of the gate is about 2550 ft (10500/pie-(390*2-gate pices on each side)=2550 ft. So now we can assume that the Ori ships are at close to 1/2 mile wide. But i notice that in the second to the last pic the gate has way more then 42 pices but then again the computer screen shows only 42, so I went from there.

Using the counted number of segments for the visual shots, to be 90 we would get a gate outer diameter of 2182.96m and a inner diameter of 1969.6m.

Which would make a ori ship about 1800-1900m wide. and given their shape
about 4500m long.
Would be interesting if there is somehting to scale them from the crusade episode to see if those scaling match, but i doubt they do.

Auralis
March 12th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Ok, shot from Crusade here:

http://www.gods-inc.de/barbie/toiletclass1.jpg

If we assume each of the tiny specks in front of the ships is a person and about 2m tall. We would get a ship wide auf about 160 pixel, 320m, given the slight perspective distortion, about 350m wide as upper limit.
This would fit with the rest of the scene as well, the buildings around the construction size, and the support pylons at the side of the ships and especialy the depth of the vally they are build in. It doesn't looks to be several km deep.

Also the 350m wide would fit with carters statement in beachhead about the size of the gate to be 300-400m in diameter.

Either in camelot a total new class of supergate and ori ships was used, how likely is that? Or the sfx department screwed royaly up in the sizing of everything.

PG15
March 12th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Oh its effects are exactly the same, just don't stretch out that far.
The danger of a singularity is directly proportional to its mass.
It has the exact same gravitaional pull then the object had it was formed off,
With one litle exception, you can closer to it then you could to the object.
And that is what maks it dangerous. Since at that point graviation increases above what could be normaly generated by the original object, once you pass the distance that marked the surface of the original object till it reaches infinit at the singulairty itself.

That's what I meant.

If you were standing at some distance from a black hole, you'll feel more of its effects if it were larger.

wowser147
March 12th, 2006, 06:07 PM
I've thought about why they didn't put something in the supergate to prevent from wormhole to form. I think something so small, like a ship won't prevent the wormhole from forming, otherwise, people wouldn't bury the gates. Notice how gates have ramps inside of the ring (earth has ramp and other worlds have stone steps)? if putting something inside the gate prevent wormhole from forming, stargates wouldn't work at all. The inside of the gate must be completey blocked in order to stop wormhole from forming.

Iris... I've thought about this too. Let alone the cost and preparation time to creat an iris system, it wouldn't work. Why? because matters comes out of even horizon at the same velocity it maintained when it entered the other side of E.H. (Upgrades) If something as massive as the Ori ships came through the gate with velocity of 1/3 of the speed of light (sub-light engines) anykind of Iris will surelly be destroyed. Of course, Iris stops matter from being recreated, but molecules DO form between the Iris and the E.H. So it will be like zillions of of molecules hitting the Iris at 1/3 of speed of light. Nothing can withstand that.

PG15
March 12th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Well, they weren't traveling at 1/3 the speed of light as we plainly saw in Camelot.

It would still be a big force though, no doubt about that.

FallenAngelII
March 12th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Obviously they needed a bigger gate. The ships barely fit in it. Also, it's perfectly plausible that they sent the blocks through (along with a Prior) before making the planet go Bye-Bye.

Deckker
March 13th, 2006, 05:36 AM
There is no reason to think that they had to send 1 segement, it could literally be built by a lot of smaller units, Think replicator style stargate. Or it might have being built by worshippers here, and later moved into place.

Tealcfan
March 13th, 2006, 02:57 PM
42 eh?

lol good one!

Steel Jester
March 14th, 2006, 05:08 PM
As said earlier.. the only reason for a black hole on both ends would be to have 2 way travel.

What if they need to retreat, or return for supplies.

Secondly, had the supergate would allow for communication, since SGC, as well as other races use open stargates to send radio, and subspace messages from one location to another.

fortyseven
March 14th, 2006, 06:29 PM
What galaxy is Ida? The Asgard's home galaxy?

Maybe dialing 9 symbols allows travel between Ori and Milky Way galaxies!

Auralis
March 14th, 2006, 07:32 PM
IDa is the asgard home galaxy correct.
From 5x01 enemies we get the hint that ida is 4million lightyears away from earth.
Since aphosis ship was attack by a replicator ship and the replis where in ida.

fortyseven
March 14th, 2006, 09:39 PM
I recently have read thru some 9th Chevron threads. Either I'm right or it's an unknown reason.

No welcome?

wiseowl777
March 14th, 2006, 11:32 PM
well look, we needed a ZPM to get from earth to atlantis inside of 3 days... ZPM'S dont grow on trees... theyd need to power every single ship with a ZPM (or ZPM like power source)... and what if one of the ships gets destroyed... didnt we find out in season 8 that a detonated ZPM could take out a whole solar system and tehrefore tehir entire fleet.

.. i say give the wriath teh location of the ORI galxay or vice versa and let them fight it out, while we have a be, er soda

Dromag67
March 15th, 2006, 12:29 AM

Efficient is the key word there.

Iguana775
March 15th, 2006, 07:18 AM
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this or not but I wonder if the Asgard could have just beemed a section of the gate out? then it wouldnt work. It would have at least been interesting to see them at least try. That was the first thing that popped in to my head when they were thinking of how to disable it.

Praetorian
March 15th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Isnt Earth still in possession of said ZPM that could wipe out a good portion of the solar system? Build a ZPM bomb and park it on the supergate....

EDIT: Or plug it into the supergate...big charge...big boom.

wiseowl777
March 15th, 2006, 12:42 PM
i wonder if its possible to rebuild the gatebuster that ry'ac blew up in deason 6 (redemption 1&2)... it was ancient and it could take care of a supergate

Alareth
March 15th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Another thing to consider is that the Orii are not the Ancients.

There was split and the people that would eventually become the Ancients left. From that point forward their technologies would evolve independent of one another.

Just because the Lantians had the super spiffy galaxy hopping drive does not mean those that remained behind and eventually became the Orii possess the same technology.

*Crash*
March 15th, 2006, 02:24 PM
If the Orii have a supergate then they don't have to build it in all ships (like someone stated on first page of thread)

Plus, they could send in any ship or cargo they want and wouldn't have to mess about with hyperdrives and storeing items/equipment in ships with hyperdrives.

LiquidBlue
March 17th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Camelot was really frustrating.

Why was the last ditch plan to try to dial the Ori galaxy? What about the following:

(1) Use a regular gate to dial the MW supergate. Shouldn't the supergate accept any incoming wormhole. We have already witnessed diameter mismatches before. See for the example the custom built Tollan gate, or the two ocassions that we have seen a gate dial mutiple gates at once.

(2) Bury the gate. This has been mentioned. Why not put something in the middle to prevent a connection establishing?

(3) Blow up the system's primary. We did this to good effect against apophis.

(4) Use the weaponized ZPM that we recovered. Dr. Carter thought that such a blast might be as catatrophic as a supernova, but we could place it against the gate itself.

(5) Use something simular to the anti-replicator weapon to disrupt communication between that various segments.

(6) Destroy or damage the re-integration controls. How much easier would it be to simply damage an essential control instead of trying to replace one?

(7) Place a time dilation device close by. Sure the Priors could probably disable it eventually, but by that time hundred of years have gone by, or they have all been captured in a black hole.

I mean lets bring back all of the Dues Ex Machina solutions that have already been established.

Seldini
March 17th, 2006, 08:17 PM
(1) Use a regular gate to dial the MW supergate. Shouldn't the supergate accept any incoming wormhole. We have already witnessed diameter mismatches before. See for the example the custom built Tollan gate, or the two ocassions that we have seen a gate dial mutiple gates at once.

The Ori are probably powering the gate from the other side to make the connection, and we've never seen the gate dial from a regular to a supergate, thats totally different from either the Tollan gate or Orlin's mini-gate.

(2) Bury the gate. This has been mentioned. Why not put something in the middle to prevent a connection establishing?
I think the WHOLE gate would have to be filled, not just part of it, that'd be impossible to do in the given time.

(3) Blow up the system's primary. We did this to good effect against apophis.
Huh? The primary gate already woulda been screwed by the formation of the super-supergate.

(4) Use the weaponized ZPM that we recovered. Dr. Carter thought that such a blast might be as catatrophic as a supernova, but we could place it against the gate itself.
I'm pretty sure that gate would survive almost all standard explosions and weapons, doesn't matter how powerful they are. Now if you timed it to explode as soon as the gate starts opening... that might mess stuff up.

(5) Use something simular to the anti-replicator weapon to disrupt communication between that various segments.
No way to get something like that ready on such short notice.

(6) Destroy or damage the re-integration controls. How much easier would it be to simply damage an essential control instead of trying to replace one?
The Ori had to have thought of that and installed redunancies against destroyed/stolen parts, but if you replace a part the system would operatate under the controls of your replaced part.

(7) Place a time dilation device close by. Sure the Priors could probably disable it eventually, but by that time hundred of years have gone by, or they have all been captured in a black hole.

I think the Priors would disable that really quickly, probably not even difficult for them.

I actually like alot of your ideas, just throwing up some responses for debate's sake.

JanusAncient
March 18th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Maybe the first supergate was a distraction to allow them to built this supergate.:cool:

I think this too, that they were simultaneously constructing another SuperGate, as Sg-1 frantically tried to destroy their decoy. Like, when the Ori used the people in "Ethon," to test their new weapon, on ships in the Milky Way, they improved that weapon, and now it only takes one shot on most ships. Maybe the Ori's ultimate goal is to build a SuperGate so massive, they will be able to fly the entire City of the Gods into the Milky Way. The Prior in the "Fourth Horseman, Part 2," spoke that the Ori's hatred bloomed in the dark corners of the afurnacus, to which they'd been cast.:docianime09: :prioranime01:

Salas1
March 18th, 2006, 05:08 AM
We know Sam could actually take the panel off in order to attempt to replace a control crystal, and by her being able to touch/get near the gate, it means there was no shield, so how could they possibly not destroy it by planting a bomb on it, and then beaming Sam away?
Also, How the Iris works, if it is in the space where the event horizon should form, the gate address will not lock. I assume that this would work just as well by parking a ship in the middle.
Remember when the Asgard needed Sam to use military tactics in order to destroy replicators, we have just become the Asgard, no ideas how to actually overcome a problem without technology. Another thing, we have seen the Asgard ships tow the Prommie in hyperspace, and a cargo vessel tow an entire asteroid in hyperspace, surely if they had done this then the gate would not have locked as they would not have had the correct address, and the fact it is travelling constantly they wouldn't be able to find it.
Another thing I thought about, the Ori ships are hollow, and the Asgard have the power to create black holes, surely they could make 1 in the middle of each of the ships, ripping them apart.
Just some of my ideas, maybe I should command our galaxy's forces:)

Davinder
March 18th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Mostly, its the anicent technology called the plot device ;-) But:

The iris is placed infront of the event horizon, so its still forms, but the Kawoosh doesn't. If something completely covers where the event horizon forms (ie, the gate is buried) then no event horizon or wormhole at all. However, burying a supergate would be a little akward (bring a shovel)

As for towing the gate, good point, and that is thinking a little out of the box, but based on the fact that the gates are powered by black holes and the wormholes span galaxies, things are on a bigger scale, chances are addresses would'nt need to be as precise as normal stargates do.

The asgard created the black hole by collapsing the star that their former homeworld orbited. That said, if the ori collapsed a planet to power the ubergate, why not collapse the star of the system the supergate is in (hey, you've blown up one star, you've blown them all)

Sorry to poo on your parade, but some good points there, commander :-)

Peoples_General
March 18th, 2006, 07:07 AM
I think that whatever material that supergate is made from is strong enough to resist bombardment from several Ha'Taks. Thus, no need for a shield.

However..... if they have material that strong, then those Ori starships had better be as strong as the SuperGate. If there's an episode where the Ori starships' shields go offline... and a BC-304 manages to destroy it... Im gonna fly over to the StarGate filming studios in Vancouver, go to the VFX section and smack the backside of the VFX guy's heads. LOL! :P

cbrseadude
March 18th, 2006, 08:02 AM
I think everone arrived at the super gate party to late to stop anything from happening, just didnt have enough time to stop it from functioning. You can bet that will be their first priority next season. The four ships alone are a powerful fleet, you dont want any more of those comming thru the gate. If it was up to Jack he wouldnt rest until that thing was destroyed, but I dont think they will destroy it, they will try to use it for their own purposes.

ckwongau
March 18th, 2006, 02:16 PM
well remember "Beachhead" when Sam tried to use the Gatebuster(super warhead) to destory the gate.It fail, i think Stargate is pretty hard to destory, and supergate is even more differicult.
Anubis weapon (an ancient weapon) use to open a worm hole longer than 38 minute, it won't close and the energy built up will eventually blow up the stargate,Even if we find another such ancient weapon but it require a lot more power to destory supergate, and supergate probably need longer and more power to overload the gate.
Another problem ,when a stargate explode, the explosion is pretty powerful, when supergate explode, the explosion will be a lot bigger, and dangerous to the frabic of space and sub space.

One thing i like to know, is if Sam was trying to dial out the supergate ,their is a mico blackhole powersource for the supergate, Can the Supergate dial to Atlantis? or some other pegause supergate.

Different size stargate can still work, the Tollan stargate is a bit smaller than other stargate, that De-ascended boyfriend of Sam built a small stargate the size of manhole in her basement , it still work.
Supergate is much bigger, in theory it would work, the Atlantis team can dial to milkyway with their ZPM, But Earth can't dial to them without a ZPM.

What if we can keep the supergate when the War is over, we can use the supergate to send stuff to Pegausu.
We can't send big stuff, thing bigger than the stargate gate's wormhole, but we can send things like the size of a puddle jumber and enter the supergate wormhole in the center of circular wormhole, to be safe.
But the "kawoosh" effect ,would the "kawoosh" effect be bigger because the worm whole was open by the supergate?
To be safe , open a worm hole ot a space base stargate near the Atlantis system.

ckwongau
March 18th, 2006, 02:42 PM
If Sam was trying to dial the supergate into the Ori Galaxy, which mean the Supergate's powersource(mirco-blackhole) is enough to dial to the other galaxy.

I think Ori Galaxy is a lot furter than the Asgard or Pegasus Galaxy.

What if in an emergency , Earth need to send something to the Pegasus Galaxy quick.

Can Earth use the supergate to send it?maybe even after the Ori War we can keep using the supergate.

Atlantis can dial to Earth anytime with a ZPM, but SGC can't dial to them without a ZPM, and we know there is not enough of ZPM even for Atlantis.
They need more to fly the city.Or power the Antractica outpost.
SGC probably won't get any ZPM evn they find a dozen of them.

Different size of stargate can still work between them ,The Tollan stargate is abit smaller, that de-ascended Ancient who built that tiny gate in Sam's basement still work.

We are not going to send big stuff that the Pegasus can't receive,small thing like the size of puddle jumber a people.
From the supergate end , the traveler enter the world hole near the center of the circular wormhole .
Maybe the "kawoosh" effect of a supergate on the pegause end would be too big, and instead of risking the Atlantis gateroom , We can dial to a space base stargate near the Atlantis system with puddle jumber near by to received the incoming traveler.

NakedJehutyV2
March 18th, 2006, 03:56 PM
ori galaxy is much further than othalla. which is further than pegasus. they'd need the components and a black hole. too bad they aren't 2 way

Schrodinger's Cat
March 18th, 2006, 03:57 PM
First, we need to build a supergate inside the pegasus galaxy...

freyr's mother
March 18th, 2006, 03:58 PM
You would also need a supergate in the pegasus galaxy

Schrodinger's Cat
March 19th, 2006, 12:04 PM
42 eh?

The supergate in "Camelot" is made up of 42 pieces

The answer to life, the universe, and everything is 42

The question to the answer to life, the universe, and everything is "What is Six by Nine?"

In SG1 9x06 "Beachhead", The ori first attemped to create a supergate in our galaxy.

McDave
March 19th, 2006, 02:11 PM
There have been many people talking about the super gate and a friend told me about some idea on a forum that SGI could make replicators to eat the gate. (how silly I thought)

So I started thinking in my head about what was the best way to destroy the gate stopping the ori making a connection. And this is my idea…

In the episode 906 (Beachhead) Samantha takes a new naquadah enhanced warhead designed to destroy stargates. Why did the not simply use this type bomb to destroy part of the super gate thus stopping incoming connections?

Wraith Scientist
March 19th, 2006, 02:20 PM
I think the Ori shielded the supergate against most weapons, and the Mark IX didn't destroy the stargate in Beachead - the damn thing just fell over. So much for a 'gatebuster'

Auralis
March 19th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Well, depends
its only 42 pieces on the computer display, its like 90 pieces on the space shots.

McDave
March 19th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Yes but saying that on the other gate there was a prior with his hand touching it.

Auralis
March 19th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Well, we don't know how much the prior had to do with keeping the gate intact.
That he did something shoild be clear from the fact that they showed us him touching the gate, like he is giving it strength.

NecroDefain
March 19th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Didnt the jaffa try to destroy the supergate in the final episode but get nowhere? If firepower from ships couldnt destroy it, I doubt a bomb could.

Yours,

Necro

LORD MONK
March 19th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Yup Yup

Spell_Daemon
March 19th, 2006, 05:02 PM
First, the conection between the parts of a supergate are much greater than what a bomb could destory (that is why, in the episode "Beachhead", Vala had to dirupt the gate by placing a weaker link into the place of a supergate part. This link (an Alkesh) could not conduct the pure power that held the gate together and therefore destroyed the gate.

Second, if they could destroy the game the size of the explosion would be astronomical!!!

Third, it was not the Prior who protected the gate, he created a force field that absorbed the power of weapons and then waited to conviced SG-1 to attack it. The force field eventually enveloped the whole planet (after absorbing the power of the bombs) and then the Prior could make the planet into a black hole, which would then power the supergate.

DigiFluid
March 19th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Damn you people do things the hard way.

Just park a ship or two within the circle of the gate. They would've acted like a coverstone on a standard gate and not allowed the wormhole to form in the first place.

Spell_Daemon
March 19th, 2006, 05:29 PM
^
I am sure that the Ori have the gate well gaurded, with shields and ships, that would provent this, plus they could easily send a prior or a ship already in our galaxy to remove the ship.

Prior_of_the_Ori
March 19th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Damn you people do things the hard way.

Just park a ship or two within the circle of the gate. They would've acted like a coverstone on a standard gate and not allowed the wormhole to form in the first place.

The gate is massive! No way any of the ships the Jaffa, the Asgard or Earth has that could fit. So the unstable vortex would have formed and possibly destroyed the ship.

Spell_Daemon
March 19th, 2006, 05:43 PM
NO.

It does not matter the size... as long as the ship is placed though the stargate, which therefore would stop an event horison from forming. There would be no way for it to destroy the ship as the Swoosh would never form.

Auralis
March 19th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Well, a gatebuster is significant more powerfull then a few meshy shots of a ha'Tak.
going by just stated yields, xxGTs vs 200MTs.
Going by observed effects xxTT vs a few tons.
however, the rigged zpm should blow that gate up just fine.

Peoples_General
March 19th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Why am I seeing people in Wikipedia stating that the Ori supergate is 400m wide, when that scale would make it smaller than the 450m long BC-304s?

The Engineer
March 19th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Why not beam one element away?
They managed to beam a building in Ex Deus Machina.

mckaychick
March 19th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Why am I seeing people in Wikipedia stating that the Ori supergate is 400m wide, when that scale would make it smaller than the 450m long BC-304s?

Yeah that is weird.

JanusAncient
March 19th, 2006, 08:28 PM
The Ori probably shielded the gate against beaming technology, there are probably all sorts of sensors built in, capable of detecting such as approaching ships, or asteroids. Given that a normal Stargate was able to survive collision with a comet, the only thing we know of that would probably do the trick, would be a charged z.p.m., they could incase it in something perhaps, just like it had been buried, but even the attempt would require a massive fleet, or a cloaked ship, anything else would be futile.

the fifth man
March 19th, 2006, 08:59 PM
I believe bombing the Supergate would ultimately prove to be futile. I'm sure the Ori have almost all the angles covered in regards to protecting that gate.

Auralis
March 20th, 2006, 02:02 AM

Because Carter said in beachhead it is 300-400m wide.
Dialog over visual effects.
Onscreen dialog is what the writer intented.
Onscreen visual effects is already an artist interpretation of that the write intented, therefore dialog before visuals.

Dutch_Razor
March 20th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Hmz maybe they wanted to save the ZPM for later.

Hmz maybe when we see the whole Ori fleet amassed :D:D:D

Prior_of_the_Ori
March 20th, 2006, 07:43 AM
NO.

It does not matter the size... as long as the ship is placed though the stargate, which therefore would stop an event horison from forming. There would be no way for it to destroy the ship as the Swoosh would never form.

If that were the case then they wouldnt really need an Iris or a shield to cover the entire gate just part of it but we have seen that most of the gate needs to be covered to prevent the formation of the wormhole. So far we have not seen any case where only a few rocks or metals are in the front of the gate and thus preventing it from forming the wormhole.

DigiFluid
March 20th, 2006, 07:47 AM
The iris doesn't stop the wormhole from forming, it just stops any matter from re-integrating on the receiving end. I'm talking about keeping the wormhole from forming entirely. Think of it like a whistle. You blow on a whistle and it makes a shrill noise. Now, put your finger in the hole that the nose eminates from and blow again. It doesn't have to cover the hole entirely, but the noise is prevented. Same idea.

tony
March 20th, 2006, 07:55 AM
i still dont get why they didnt just put some ships in between the damn gate to stop the connection from forming then just go out and toe soem huge astroids from space and station them in the middle of the supergate so no connections can ever be made... they will wind up making dosens of supergates in our galaxy and not be able to use any of them because big rocks will be in the middle acting like a coverstone :)

wolverine_nl
March 20th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Carter couldn't be beamed in, so it was protectedand beaming is impossible.

Iguana775
March 20th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Carter couldn't be beamed in, so it was protectedand beaming is impossible.

That was after the gate started up. they beamed her to the gate.

They should have tried to beam sections of the gate away to start with.

wolverine_nl
March 20th, 2006, 02:08 PM
That was after the gate started up. they beamed her to the gate.

They should have tried to beam sections of the gate away to start with.
That is true, but this talk is all after the facts LOL...we will see what they will do about it in S10 :jack:

DENIZEN_OF_NE'TU
March 20th, 2006, 02:28 PM
I think u would need to cover to entire interior of a gate to stop a wormhole connecting. Whenever someone has rendered a gate inactive they have buried it or used a coverstone which was as big as the area of the gate's interior. If u didn't need to do that then why wouldn't villagers who wanted to cut their world off from the Gou'ald just put a big rock in their gate since it would be easier than burying it.

Also we have saw occassions when the SGC wanted to stop an incoming wormhole why didn't Sam ever say "quick somebody stand in the gate".

DigiFluid
March 20th, 2006, 02:55 PM
I think u would need to cover to entire interior of a gate to stop a wormhole connecting. Whenever someone has rendered a gate inactive they have buried it or used a coverstone which was as big as the area of the gate's interior. If u didn't need to do that then why wouldn't villagers who wanted to cut their world off from the Gou'ald just put a big rock in their gate since it would be easier than burying it.

Also we have saw occassions when the SGC wanted to stop an incoming wormhole why didn't Sam ever say "quick somebody stand in the gate".

Well, apart from the fact that that would take away from the drama ;)

Anyway I've always seen the large coverstones as something that's mostly decorative. Every coverstone we've ever seen is perfectly rounded and oftentimes has writing engraved onto it. I see no reason why a big rock sitting in the middle of it wouldn't have the same effect. In the same way, why not drag a few asteroids and park them inside the ring of the Supergate?

You know those bubble blowing things you'd play with as a kid? You dip the O on a stick in the bottle and then blow on the bubble to make it form? Would the bubble still form if you had a stick through the hole? Of course not. I doubt if it would even work if it was only a string through the hole.

In the same way, the wormhole simply cannot be established if something is blocking the circle of the gate.

DENIZEN_OF_NE'TU
March 20th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Well, apart from the fact that that would take away from the drama ;)

Exactly so if you're right then all the characters r morons :eek:

Anyway I've always seen the large coverstones as something that's mostly decorative. Every coverstone we've ever seen is perfectly rounded and oftentimes has writing engraved onto it. I see no reason why a big rock sitting in the middle of it wouldn't have the same effect. In the same way, why not drag a few asteroids and park them inside the ring of the Supergate?

I'm sure the coverstone's do have decorative/cultural aspects to them but I don't think its a coincidence that they fill all, or virtually all, of the interior of the gate. I'm sure u r correct that a big rock would have the same effect if it was big enough to fill virtually all of the interior as would the asteriod idea but was there a big enough one in the vicinity or enough smaller ones to fill most of the supergate? Not to mention the difficulties of arranging lots of small asteroids in space where one tiny collision can cause an object to float of randomly bumping others and sending them floating away too. So personally I think its a viable idea but not as simple as u present it.

You know those bubble blowing things you'd play with as a kid? You dip the O on a stick in the bottle and then blow on the bubble to make it form? Would the bubble still form if you had a stick through the hole? Of course not. I doubt if it would even work if it was only a string through the hole.

In the same way, the wormhole simply cannot be established if something is blocking the circle of the gate.

Well the extension of that arguement would be that lots of stargates wouldn't work in autumn when leaves may pile up within the event horizon area or in winter if its been snowing or if somebody dropped their car keys in the wrong place.

DigiFluid
March 20th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Well the extension of that arguement would be that lots of stargates wouldn't work in autumn when leaves may pile up within the event horizon area or in winter if its been snowing or if somebody dropped their car keys in the wrong place.

And where's the problem with that? On virtually every world we've seen our heroes travel to, the Gate is either in a museum or in a very public place--a clearing or 'centre of town,' so to speak. It's only on comparatively backward planets, where the Gate is somewhere off in the middle of woods.

Actually, come to think of it, I can't even remember a time when we've seen the Stargate in the woods in autumn. We've seen it in the woods a couple of times ("The First Commandment" springs immediately to mind), but I don't think we've ever seen it in the woods in autumn.

Maybe some sort of minimum amount of mass blocking the gateway itself is necessary. A single leaf might not do it, but perhaps soggy leaves 5 feet tall would. A pebble might not, but a big rock would, you know? I'm not saying park a single ship in it. There were a ton of Ha'taks there, why not put them inside the ring. Surely their combined mass would have kept the wormhole from connecting, while the Asgard went off and picked up the asteroid from "Fail Safe" to put in the way. That way even if it exploded, the blast from an asteroid literally filled with naquadah could have at least damaged the segments enough for it no longer to be a functioning gate.

glennh73
March 20th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Why dont they just talk to the aliens inside the wormhole and tell them to shut dwn the,ahh sorry wrong show.

Anyway what about the stargate destoryer that Anubis used in beginning of season 6?

Even better, why dont they go find a big ass piece of naquadria and stick that right in front of the gate. So when the ships come threw they can crash into that and have it rigged to explode on contact.

DENIZEN_OF_NE'TU
March 20th, 2006, 05:17 PM
And where's the problem with that? On virtually every world we've seen our heroes travel to, the Gate is either in a museum or in a very public place--a clearing or 'centre of town,' so to speak. It's only on comparatively backward planets, where the Gate is somewhere off in the middle of woods.

Actually, come to think of it, I can't even remember a time when we've seen the Stargate in the woods in autumn. We've seen it in the woods a couple of times ("The First Commandment" springs immediately to mind), but I don't think we've ever seen it in the woods in autumn.

Maybe some sort of minimum amount of mass blocking the gateway itself is necessary. A single leaf might not do it, but perhaps soggy leaves 5 feet tall would. A pebble might not, but a big rock would, you know?

Well I guess that means your conceeding the blowing bubbles analogy. No matter how I phrased that it sounded really {Mod Snip}, my apologies.

I'm not saying park a single ship in it. There were a ton of Ha'taks there, why not put them inside the ring. Surely their combined mass would have kept the wormhole from connecting,

Well since we don't know exactly how much mass is needed it seems rather risky to put the entire fleet in there I mean if the wormhole did connect then u lose the ships in the "kawoosh". Although considering how invincible the Ori ships turned out to be it might have been worth the risk, but they didn't know that at the time.

while the Asgard went off and picked up the asteroid from "Fail Safe" to put in the way. That way even if it exploded, the blast from an asteroid literally filled with naquadah could have at least damaged the segments enough for it no longer to be a functioning gate.

Well when Mitchell threw the Ancient Communications Device, that was about to explode, into the "Kawoosh" the vortex vapourizes things without triggering explosions.

March 21st, 2006, 12:30 AM
If you're going to do that, why not just get the Asgard to bury the gate in, say, the nearest star? Even IF (and that's a REALLY big if) the gate could somehow survive for awhile inside the star, any ship coming through would be immediately parked inside the star and that would certainly be very unhealthy. I don't think even an Ori ship could withstand that for more than a few seconds tops.

Or get an asteroid and give it a huge running start. Let it hit the gate at a few hundred thousand meters/second and I bet it does some damage to the thing.

Praetorian
March 21st, 2006, 04:12 AM
I still say they should just strap that solar system destroying zpm to it and plug it in...

Prior_of_the_Ori
March 21st, 2006, 05:41 AM
If you're going to do that, why not just get the Asgard to bury the gate in, say, the nearest star? Even IF (and that's a REALLY big if) the gate could somehow survive for awhile inside the star, any ship coming through would be immediately parked inside the star and that would certainly be very unhealthy. I don't think even an Ori ship could withstand that for more than a few seconds tops.

Or get an asteroid and give it a huge running start. Let it hit the gate at a few hundred thousand meters/second and I bet it does some damage to the thing.

Isnt the Supergate parked on top of a blackhole? So wouldnt it be kind of difficult to move?