This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who liked Xena but disliked Hercules?

I try to like both shows, but somewhere around season 3 or 4, Hercules just got... BORING to me. I never really watched the whole run on TV, so I've bought all the DVD's. I have all 6 seasons of Hercules and 6 seasons of Xena... and I watch them pretty much at the same time.

It seems to me Xena has less "slapstick" humor, and she does things that make sense... she rides a horse, her fight choreography is wicked, and her character is very detailed, with so much history that we discover as the show progresses.

Hercules just feels lame... too slapstick and I don't know... boring. I'm on season 5, where the other Iolis from the "evil dimension" has traveled over to our dimension and is travelling with Hercules... and the first episode with him in it was just plain HORRIBLE.

Yet the producers had a "behind the scenes" on the episode, talking about how great it was, etc...

I dunno... anyone else get bored with Hercules yet find Xena was awesome?

yeah i didnt really get into hercules thought it was boring but kind of likes xena
    sigpic
    Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

Hercules was ok for the first few seasons then Xena came along and surpassed it. Her story and relationships just had much more depth. It was just a better show and Hercules just stopped being interesting.

Eventually I stopped watching them both as they veered further and further into ridiculousness. One of those moments for me was in Hercules with the coffee and the tacos never mind the sword fighting....with rapiers.

Xena went horribly wrong with the Christianity allusions and the angels and heaven and hell and the killing of the gods.

But overall, looking back now on both shows I find them both unwatchable. I know I enjoyed them when they were on but now I'm just stunned that I liked them. They, Hercules especially, were just ridiculous and wacky. It's like looking back on high school pics and not being able to believe you wore that.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
        I try to like both shows, but somewhere around season 3 or 4, Hercules just got... BORING to me. I never really watched the whole run on TV, so I've bought all the DVD's. I have all 6 seasons of Hercules and 6 seasons of Xena... and I watch them pretty much at the same time.

It seems to me Xena has less "slapstick" humor, and she does things that make sense... she rides a horse, her fight choreography is wicked, and her character is very detailed, with so much history that we discover as the show progresses.

Hercules just feels lame... too slapstick and I don't know... boring. I'm on season 5, where the other Iolis from the "evil dimension" has traveled over to our dimension and is travelling with Hercules... and the first episode with him in it was just plain HORRIBLE.

Yet the producers had a "behind the scenes" on the episode, talking about how great it was, etc...

I always thought that Xena and Gabriel did stuff...and she had a much better story arc than Hercules did. And what they did to (was his name Jasper?) was hilarious. I also thought that Xena was going to end up with Hercules in the end...and what they always did to Caesar.
        http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
          Hercules was ok for the first few seasons then Xena came along and surpassed it. Her story and relationships just had much more depth. It was just a better show and Hercules just stopped being interesting.

Eventually I stopped watching them both as they veered further and further into ridiculousness. One of those moments for me was in Hercules with the coffee and the tacos never mind the sword fighting....with rapiers.

Xena went horribly wrong with the Christianity allusions and the angels and heaven and hell and the killing of the gods.

But overall, looking back now on both shows I find them both unwatchable. I know I enjoyed them when they were on but now I'm just stunned that I liked them. They, Hercules especially, were just ridiculous and wacky. It's like looking back on high school pics and not being able to believe you wore that.

Pretty much the same here.

I netflixed the first DVD of the first Xena season and I was just stunned at how cheesy it really was.

I always prefered Xena to Herc and stopped watching Herc long before Xena. Xena really lost me when they went the Christianity route. It just seemed wrong and out of context of everything that had come before.
          Thanks!
          Jordan

my page
          My LJ
          From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24
            I always thought that Xena and Gabriel did stuff...and she had a much better story arc than Hercules did. And what they did to (was his name Jasper?) was hilarious. I also thought that Xena was going to end up with Hercules in the end...and what they always did to Caesar.
            Joxer the Mighty..... Ted Rami (Sams brother). Joxer Ruled!!!!

Both shows were cartoons. If you watched them like cartoons they could be entertaining. Then Xena forgot it was a cartoon and stopped being entertaining. I watched them both and faded from them both, I couldn't tell you which one lost my interest first.
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Wow, interesting replies... Yeah, for me Hercules I don't really care for too much, but I can't agree with the view of Xena. The storylines do have humor, but its less slapstick and more well-done. Anyway, yeah, I'm a big fan of Xena (partially due to Calisto!), but not so much Herc.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva

i only watched herc once in a blue moon, so that should tell you something right there.

xena was one of THE best shows i've ever seen! how many shows can do comedy, slap stick comedy, very serious drama, and then throw in not one but two musicals!? the show kicked arse and lucy lawless and rene o'connor were wonderful (especially lucy!).

i HATED, though, the ending of that show...

so to answer your question, i didn't dislike herc, i just found i was much, much more interested in xena.

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Because watching Xena and Gabriel was more pleasing to view, than Hercules and Iolus.
                  http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
                  http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples_General
                    Because watching Xena and Gabriel was more pleasing to view, than Hercules and Iolus.
                    I thought it was because Joxer and Autolocase were on Xena while Hercules just had that fat guy as their common recurring character.
                    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples_General
                      For me, that was definitely the case. For the most part though, I enjoyed both shows.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

While I Love Xena... I started to loose interest once Gabriel Cut her hair and changed her weopon

Fighting Staff+Long haired Gabby>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>short haired+ daggers Gabby IMO

Comment

I only really watched either when Hudson Leick was on them so I didn't see much of Herc at all.

Xena went bad in the last few seasons, too much "I love you Xena! *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink*" and just bad storylines in general that deviated way too far from what the show was originally like, a truely awful ending also. Apparently the same was true with Herc as well I hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros
                            I only really watched either when Hudson Leick was on them so I didn't see much of Herc at all.

Xena went bad in the last few seasons, too much "I love you Xena! *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink*" and just bad storylines in general that deviated way too far from what the show was originally like, a truely awful ending also. Apparently the same was true with Herc as well I hear.
                            i think what hurt xena was changing gabrielle. lucy lawless (and xena) got pregnant, so they decided to bump up gabrielle into fighterchick mode. *this* is what i think hurt the show. i liked the quieter and more serene gabby. it stayed in the theme of the show. BUT, at the same time, there was a poetic beauty and symmetry to xena handing over the reigns to gabrielle.

that was the whole real story to this show. when the show started, xena was at the end of her rope. she was ready to commit suicide. gabrielle met her and was instantly charmed (not sexually). xena was the woman gabby wanted to be. strong, independant (and wasn't being forced to marry a man she didn't love or want).... but i also think gabrielle was the person xena wanted to be too. innocent to the real ugliness of the world, and a peaceful soul. together, they equaled out the other. so it makes sense that the show would end the way it did (even though i HATED the way it ended).

but back to what i was originally saying, i think changing gabby (i'm only using this nickname because it's easier to type ) hurt the show. or maybe it's the *way* they changed her. or how *much* they changed her?.... whatever it was, i didn't like gabby as much as before.

but dang, in it's prime, it was a *great* show.

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

I liked hercules best when Aphrodite was around. As for Xena; while they both were easy on the eyes, I enjoyed the comedy the best. Eps. like "Married with Fishsticks" and the "This is Your Life" send-up.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Working...
                              X