• Show
Clear All

TV Guide Online: SG1/SGA Discussed in Ask Matt Column

From TV Guide Online:

http://www.tvguide.com/tv/roush/askm...ramID%3D910117
    Monday, July 12, 2004

Ask Matt

Question:
    As a sci-fi/fantasy fan who is still mourning the loss of Angel, I wanted to take a moment to plug Stargate SG-1 and the upcoming Stargate Atlantis as solid options to turn to for a sci-fi fix. After Angel was canceled, I was searching for a new favorite show, and decided to give SG-1 a try. After watching three episodes, it became my new TV obsession. The characters are funny and interesting with great camaraderie, and the action is solid. With the season premieres of both SG-1 and Atlantis coming up, now is the perfect time to give Stargate a try. I haven't seen much mention of it in this column, which is understandable, as the show seems to fly under the radar a bit, but I wanted to get the word out to anyone like me who's looking for something to satisfy the sci-fi/fantasy craving. Thanks for the chance; I really enjoy your column. — Jordyn S.

Matt:
    In anticipation of the new season of Stargate and this Friday's launch of the Atlantis spin-off, I also decided to reacquaint myself with the franchise after several seasons' neglect. I wouldn't say it transcends genre in the manner of the Joss Whedon shows or Farscape, but I can see why people enjoy it, though perhaps not to the extent that it has become Sci Fi's equivalent to Law & Order in terms of its ubiquitous airings. (I'm actually kind of jazzed about the idea of getting in on the ground floor, so to speak, of Atlantis.) So consider the word spread.

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/
    Last edited by morjana; 23 July 2004, 09:13 AM. Reason: Corrected an URL

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Not bad.
    A pretty even-handed commentary, actually. I mean, we still can't have Stargate mentioned without Farscape coming up, but SciFi *has* put all its eggs in the Stargate basket. So I think it's such a fair criticism that there's no avoiding the pairing of the two series. At least this guy didn't present it as a contest.

I've heard a lot of that kind of approach to Atlantis--more people have now heard of Stargate, but many don't really want to have to get caught up on 7 years' worth of a show. Atlantis has certainly benefitted from that amongst my friends. (Though I'm still working on getting them hooked on SG1, too...)
    "Frankly, we're not surprised when she starts pulling large bombs from skin-tight catsuits..."
    "Not only can Josette Simon really, really act, she gets the show's best introduction - she rescues Avon, announces he's the most beautiful man she's ever seen, then explains the only other man she's seen is her father, whose surname is, blissfully, Mellonby."
    "This is a future where the women are beautiful, the men are ugly, and the only drink is creme de menthe."
    --BBC CultTV's web review of Blake's 7 season 3 DVD (21.06.05)

Comment

Working...
    X