PDA

View Full Version : Ancient-super weapon

freyr's mother
February 20th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Regarding the cliffhanger for s9-10 does anyone think that the ancient superweapon in antarctica will be used against the orii. We should be able to power it with 2 Mark II's. Joe Spencer might be able to control it.

Prior_of_the_Ori
February 20th, 2006, 05:47 AM
Not sure if it has any more drones left considering its last usage. If thats its only ability then not sure if its enough to fight an Ori fleet.

freyr's mother
February 20th, 2006, 06:29 AM
I've watched TLC like a thousand times and it looks like the drones dont explode on impact, instead it looks like they just tear through the ships and then come out the other side killing vital systems in the process. Then it looks like the explosion of the ships in orbit pushes the drones away because of the blast wave. For all we know, they could have gone back down into the outpost.

metroid
February 20th, 2006, 11:19 PM
I've watched TLC like a thousand times and it looks like the drones dont explode on impact, instead it looks like they just tear through the ships and then come out the other side killing vital systems in the process. Then it looks like the explosion of the ships in orbit pushes the drones away because of the blast wave. For all we know, they could have gone back down into the outpost.

I noticed the same thing. I thought it was kind of strange they made the drones explode in the next season though.

the fifth man
February 21st, 2006, 08:39 PM
I noticed the same thing. I thought it was kind of strange they made the drones explode in the next season though.

They probably hadn't fully thought out what they wanted them to do at that point. Nowadays, they do explode though. Just look at that Atlantis ep, ah, was it "The Tower"? I think it was.

AscendedWarrior
February 22nd, 2006, 09:10 AM
You can probably make them do what you want. Only O'neill has had the knowledge on how to operate them, that way he could make them just tear trough anubis ships.

frenchybhoy
February 23rd, 2006, 02:44 AM
Anyone with the AT gene can operate the ancient technology ? No ?

FallenAngelII
February 23rd, 2006, 03:39 AM
Then again the drones in the Antarctic outpost are probably millions of years old. Do bombs and guns stay the exact same throughout generations? Now give it a few million years.

Auralis
February 23rd, 2006, 05:50 PM
Of course not, but the general prinziple stays the same.
There are only so many ways to use limited resources to produce a weapon effect.
What will happen is that the weapon gets more refined, probaly using less and less power to achive the same effect. Or the same amount of power for a greater effect.

jacks_clone
February 23rd, 2006, 07:20 PM
well in the episode the tower (atlantis) they get a whole heap of drones to protect atlantis, surely some of them could be relocated to the out post on earth

Peoples_General
February 23rd, 2006, 08:01 PM
I think there's an Alteran Satellite weapon similar to the one seen in Atlantis. There's a pic of Carter doing a space walk on what looks like the control crystals of an Ancient device.
http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s9/graphics/920_05.shtml

metroid
February 23rd, 2006, 11:16 PM
Or she's simply in a room where there is no atmosphere...

It might be possible that they have an unlaunched ancient satelite on the planet surface and they manage to launch it or something. Atleast i can't imagine there was an ancient satelite in orbit of a planet and the asgard would have never found it in all those years?

(also, it's highly possible that the satelite's weren't made untill in pegasus (they did spend about 50 million years in pegasus..))

freyr's mother
February 24th, 2006, 03:31 AM
Or she's simply in a room where there is no atmosphere...

It might be possible that they have an unlaunched ancient satelite on the planet surface and they manage to launch it or something. Atleast i can't imagine there was an ancient satelite in orbit of a planet and the asgard would have never found it in all those years?

(also, it's highly possible that the satelite's weren't made untill in pegasus (they did spend about 50 million years in pegasus..))

No they didnt, they spent 50 million years in MW and spent several million years in pegasus.

baal.ex
February 27th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Full functional Satelite would be very cool idea. Maybe there is one by the ancient outpost? And even if it's not, they should bring something like this up, in SG-1 or Atlantis. The may have more weapons than just the "laser".

ussrelativity
February 27th, 2006, 08:32 AM
And perhaps better defenses, so not just to get torn apart from an armada of ships.

jenks
February 27th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Anyone with the AT gene can operate the ancient technology ? No ?

Yes, but that doesn't mean you automatically know everything about the device you're using, like when Shepard said 'is there anything that looks like a weapons console over there' and then boom! Maybe he thought in his head, projectile - at target - boom! If he doesn't know the drones can be used to rip through armour then he probably isn't going to try and make them do that, whereas O'neill had the ancient knowledge to know what they are capable of...

Just a thought...

Gateboy13
February 27th, 2006, 01:07 PM
In “The Tower” Mckay was able to figure out that a drone could be used to burrow a hole through the side of the city, so apparently they can be used in that manner.

Wraith_Hunter
February 27th, 2006, 02:22 PM
It's possible that the Drones in the Antartican outpost may be newer versions of Drones compared to that of those seen in Pegasus. This is what I always suspected, the Ancients seen that the older Drones weren't totally effective against, probably Janus or Merlin upgraded their pentration power a little bit. Just incase the Wraith ever came calling in the MW.

The same for the weapons, which does look like the Sat Weapons Platform from Atlantis. Being that it's supposedly from Merlin that it was created, then it's possible as well that it was constructed by the returning Ancients from Pegasus.

The only problem here is that why hasn't it ever been discovered in all those 10,000 odd years. The simplest solution was that it may be located near a planet that the Goa'uld or Asgard have never been near before. After all the MW is a pretty big place, the thing here is that since Carter is screwing around wioth panels in space, then it's likely either damaged somehow, or perhaps she's rerouting power to run it of a MKII generator.

Another possible scenario could be that it's found on the surface of an Alien planet, they use Odyssey to beam it into outser space or the launch it themselves. Maybe the power runs out after they lanch the thing.

The only real thing that interests me about it, is the position of the thing. Like in 'TS1', the Wraith Hiveships just happened to conveniently have to pass by it on their way to Lantia. In order for the weapon to be effective, an enemy ship has to pass close by for it to be targeted by the sat. I'd rather they find it lying derelict, make the necessary repairs then relocate it to the other side of the galaxy themselves thanks to Kvasir & Odyssey. That would be a lot better, than it conveniently lying in a strategic position to take out invading Ori ships. After all what's the chance that it could be, the MW is huge, so the Ori could chose any planet in the galaxy to use for a supergate. Which I don't even think the Alterrans were even worried about, after all they hadn't been in their home galaxy for over 50 million years.

freyr's mother
February 27th, 2006, 05:49 PM
It's possible that the Drones in the Antartican outpost may be newer versions of Drones compared to that of those seen in Pegasus.

I dont think so, in Rising we see atlantis left a tower that held the chair weapons platform. It was millions of years before returning to earth.