This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scifi Movie List

Yeah, so I tought it would be cool if we started a big list of scifi movies that are good, or so bad they are good, but I think we should leave out the obvious ones that everyone knows like star wars and the matrix, this is more of a list for lesser known movies, or lesser talked about movies, movies that the average non scifi geek wouldnt know about something like logan's run. If your questionable about wether or not the movies your thinking of qualify just post em, I'm just trying to keep this from being a trillion people saying star wars is amazing, obviously there is going to be people that disagree with wether or not people know about something and stuff like that if that even makes sence the point is just list movies, I want to get to know some of the classics and cult classics, and I'm guessing some of you want to find out about some other movies too. Anyway please help me and list away....

Because someone mentioned vin and these dont get enough respect.

Pitch Black
    Chronicals of Riddick
    (the Video game Chronicals of Riddick: escape from butchers bay rocked too)

Keep in mind for you other fans out there Pitch Black has Claudia Black in it and Chronicals of Riddick is a great movie for spot the stargate bit actor because there are about 20 of them or so in it.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I've always thought Dark City was a great movie. I think it deserved more notice than it got. Another one that's older, but still good is Outland with Sean Connery (kind of like a western in space). I guess if you like campy science fiction, The Fifth Element is good. A couple more oldies: Starman and Buckaroo Banzai.

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Definently Alien and Predator, the first ones. Note, I did not say Alien VS Predator, because that's a whole different brand of bull. I've actually met alot of people that have not seen either of these movies, and they're a must for not only sci-fi fans, but cinema in general.

I also think Spaceballs does a good job with the whole sci-fi genre. "It's not just a spaceship, it's a Transformer!!!"

Comment

Equilibrium with Christian Bale and Sean Bean was interesting.

Comment

Oh god those Riddick movies were terrible....so was Equilibrium!

Here's my list: (for others to ruthlessly criticize )

- Event Horizon
            - Blade Runner
            - Alien / Aliens
            - Predator
            - Contact
            - Gattaca
            - Star Wars (classic trilogy)
            - Terminator / Terminator 2
            - The Day the Earth Stood Still
            - Invasion of the Body Snatchers
            - Forbidden Planet
            - The Fly
            - Soylent Green
            - Boys from Brazil
            - Mad Max
            - Dune (miniseries)
            - Back to the Future trilogy
            - Robocop / Robocop 2
            - Total Recall
            - Stargate (duh )
            - 12 Monkeys
            - Species (I'm still in love with Natasha Henstridge)
            - AI (disregarding all scenes after the blue fairy)
            - Minority Report
            - Matrix trilogy
            - X-Men / X-2
            - 2001: A Space Odyssey
            - Planet of the Apes (classic films, not the Tim Burton abomination)
            - The Fifth Element
            - Jurassic Park (even though the book was better)
            - Star Trek: I, II, III, IV, VI, Generations, First Contact
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Here's a couple more:

The Last Starfighter: About a teenager who beats a recently installed videogame called 'Starfighter'. Little does he know, the game is really a training simulator, and ends up being recruited to fight in a real galactic conflict.

Enemy Mine: Starring Dennis Quaid and Gerak himself, Louis Gossett Jr. A soldier from earth (Terran Empire) and the alien species he was fighting (The Drac), both crash land on a hostile planet. The premise is that, they either continue fighting, or cooperate in order to survive. Dennis Quaid plays the human, Willis Davidge, and Louis Gossett Jr plays the reptilian like alien, Jeriba 'Jerry' Shigan.

I watched both these films as a teenager back in the 1980s. I Loved both films, and I have The Last Starfighter on DVD. I would like to see Enemy Mine again, to see if it holds up in comparison to today's sci-fi.
              "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
                The Last Starfighter: About a teenager who beats a recently installed videogame called 'Starfighter'. Little does he know, the game is really a training simulator, and ends up being recruited to fight in a real galactic conflict.
                Sounds a hell of a lot like the book Ender's Game.
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat
                  I've always thought Dark City was a great movie. I think it deserved more notice than it got. Another one that's older, but still good is Outland with Sean Connery (kind of like a western in space). I guess if you like campy science fiction, The Fifth Element is good. A couple more oldies: Starman and Buckaroo Banzai.
                  The Fith Element RUUUUULLLLEEEESSSSS.
                  Dark City was good.

How about Last StarFighter. that was good when I was a kid.
                  course ET was good when a kid too and Close Encounters.

EDIT: oops I guess I should have read the full thread before posting... Riddick is coool but you list was really good too. If we are counting Comic book movies though then Mystery Men and Batman Begins.
                  Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

D'oh! Enemy Mine was a great movie! And I remembered about The Last Starfighter after I'd closed down the computer last night. I thought 2001 was incredibly boring, but I really liked 2010. I loved the Back to the Future movies (with the first one being the best).

What about Independence Day? I thought that was an exciting, entertaining movie. Existenz was a very strange movie with an ambiguous and downbeat ending. Oh! Abyss! That had some very cool moments. Strange Days wasn't too bad either.

And if we're admitting to guilty pleasures--an old TV movie, Starcrossed (with James Spader) is one of my favorites.

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

I'm going to try and avoid the obvious but I must get one out of the way: I loved The Fifth Element. The plot is so unimportant but there is just so much good stuff to look at and it's so easy to watch repeatedly.

I did enjoy Dark City but there was something about it that just never made me remember it after the first time... so I had to see it twice. It's a little creepy.

Cocoon. This is a good movie; classic feel good, heart tugging stuff, like ET without ET, if that makes sense.

Dune I love the feel of these movies. Children of the Dune while also good, is not as great as the first.

Solaris A boring movie that still has some admirable qualities. Somewhere in there there was an exciting movie and another director could probably have found it. The ending does manage to do that thing which great scifi does though; it makes you wonder about what happens after the movie ends. That being said a little more revelation would also have been nice.

The Philadelphia Experiment I have a terrible memory so the fact that I remember the basic premise of this doesn't necessarily make it a good film but it did impress me as a kid, and even though I haven't seen it since then, that should count for something.

Spaceballs Brilliant

The Red Planet probably not the most loved or acclaimed movie but there is something about it I liked.... probably the cool aliens.

Armageddon I loved this movie. I know it's the common rule these days to hate ben Affleck (and I don't) but this movie is everthing a big blockbuster should be.

Frequency
                      The Last Starfighter
                      Demolition Man

Starship Troopers - the first was amusing, the second was unwatchable

Total Recall- Watched it again recently and the highlight of this movie is definitely watching Arnold S' eyes bug out and seeing Sharon Stone die. good stuff.

Galaxy Quest Underrated badness. This movie really is so bad it's good. Good enough to enjoy twice.
                      Last edited by MarshAngel; 20 February 2006, 02:32 PM.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
                        Galaxy Quest Underrated badness. This movie really is so bad it's good. Good enough to enjoy twice.
                        Hehehe, Galaxy Quest was good for it's one-liners. Sam Rockwell and Alan Rickman were funny.

"Hey guys, there's a red-thingy moving toward the green-thingy. I think we're the green-thingy."

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid
                          Oh god those Riddick movies were terrible....so was Equilibrium!

Here's my list: (for others to ruthlessly criticize )

- Boys from Brazil
                          methinks you are confusing Boys from Brazil with Brazil.

BFB was about a Nazi Hunter in South America who discovers an attempt to rekindle the third reich...giving us the classic line...Release the hounds!!

Brazil was a semi scifi action comedy with Michael Palin and Bob DeNiro....there's too much red tape!!
                          Thanks!
                          Jordan

my page
                          My LJ
                          From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid
                            Sounds a hell of a lot like the book Ender's Game.
                            It's not really anything like Ender's Game. Last Starfighter is much more light hearted and takes place roughly in our timeperiod. Ender's Game is more like an entior advanced society where kids are forced into training at young ages because their young creative minds fight wars better. That's how I understood it anyway. The being pressed into the war is the only real similarity; the circumstances are completely different.

Has anyone mentioned Logon's Run or Ice Pirates? Logon's Run is only so-so; but Ice Pirates is pretty funny!
                            "There's no point in growing up if you can't be childish sometimes." ~Doctor Who, Robot~

SGA Fanfiction

Comment

Originally posted by Rowana
                              It's not really anything like Ender's Game. Last Starfighter is much more light hearted and takes place roughly in our timeperiod. Ender's Game is more like an entior advanced society where kids are forced into training at young ages because their young creative minds fight wars better. That's how I understood it anyway. The being pressed into the war is the only real similarity; the circumstances are completely different.
                              Ah! I misread your post. I took it to mean that the ending of LS was the same way that EG ended. My mistake

Comment

Working...
                              X