X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cut the trip in half (Spoilers)

Now that SG-1 has aquired lots of stargates, I have a theory:

We could put a stargate on the daedalus, which could cut the trip between atlantis and earth in half. Once daedalus has picked up the crew from atlantis, they would only have to travel back to the edge of the milky way galaxy and the crew can simply gate straight to earth. The daedalus can get any supplies it needs for itself or Atlantis and then go back to Atlantis. Next time they come back they pick the crew back up and take them home to the city. Or the daedulus could just stay between the two galaxies all the time, then the atlantis team could just gate to daedalus and then straight to earth, cutting the time to like a day or so. Is this possible? (I don't see why not)

Oh, and one question, did we get the DhDs, too?

Thanks for lookin'!

Except that the bulk of the travel time is spent between galaxies.

The actual time spent traveling from Earth to the edge of the galaxy is a few days at most (remember we're located 2/3 of the way from the galactic core).

Now, if they could build a space station in inter-galactic space. Place a gate there, and be able to successfully dial that gate, that would be a real possibility.

Comment

Or you could put a gigantic space station in the intergalactic medium and have the daedalus run supply runs from atlantis to the space station, and have some other intergalactic bc run the route from the space station to earth. The one coming from earth just drops off it's cargo at the space station deddy picks it up. If deddy needs repairs, it gets repaired at space station.

Best Stargate quote:
      Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
      Green is your friend.

Comment

i dont see why they havent built a space station...thats IMO the new thing on the list.
        sigpic
        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
        Stargate : Genesis |
        Original Starship DesignThread
        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
        11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi
          Except that the bulk of the travel time is spent between galaxies.

The actual time spent traveling from Earth to the edge of the galaxy is a few days at most (remember we're located 2/3 of the way from the galactic core).

Now, if they could build a space station in inter-galactic space. Place a gate there, and be able to successfully dial that gate, that would be a real possibility.

I don't know the exact distances but I think the Milky Way Galaxy is about 80-100 thousand light years in diameter.
          The Pegasus Galaxy is roughly 3 Million Light years away from our Galaxy.

Now consider this........

If the one DHD can supply enough power for its respective Stargate to dial from one side of our Galaxy to the other multiple times. Why don't they just take the power sources from 30 disused gates(or used if we wanna be mean) and attach them to the Earth gate(Ala O'Neill Style in the Fifth Race). Bingo instant travel both ways. All this stuff about requiring a ZPM is crap, all they need is an Equivilant power source.

One DHD power source allows 100 thousand light years traveling. Multiply by 30 and viola! = 3 Million.
          Once inside the Pegasus Galaxy we can use the Local network.

With all the genius' in the SGC why has no-one thought of this???

Comment

its actually a good point, also to add to this, if the dakara DHD can dial the entire galaxy at once, which is feasable 100million lightyears x the number of gates in the galaxy. then surely 1 DHD can dial the another galaxy, i think the issue is that this galaxy's DHD's cant do it becuase they have no 8th cheveron crystel.
            sigpic
            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
            11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
              its actually a good point, also to add to this, if the dakara DHD can dial the entire galaxy at once, which is feasable 100million lightyears x the number of gates in the galaxy. then surely 1 DHD can dial the another galaxy, i think the issue is that this galaxy's DHD's cant do it becuase they have no 8th cheveron crystel.

Haha but nor did Earth have that crystal as we didn't even have a DHD connected to the gate. We built our own DHD. So by dialing Atlantis in 'Siege Part 2' its been shown that this crystal is not necessary for travel into the Pegasus Galaxy, only apparently travel out of it.

Big plot holes emerging here.............................

Comment

no that isnt a plot hole for once!, oniel had already modified our gate dialing computer to dial 8 cheverons from fifth race when he used the AD to reach the asgard.
                sigpic
                11000! green me

Comment

i would like to see a super gigantic space station but as of now it's way beyond our capability to build one that could adequetly defend itself and plus it would cost alot of money that the sgc doesn't have

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit
                    Once daedalus has picked up the crew from atlantis, they would only have to travel back to the edge of the milky way galaxy and the crew can simply gate straight to earth.
                    Something wrong here, because as I recall the peeps from Atlantis gates home, thanks to the ZPM.

It's the getting back part that takes a long time.

Comment

I think people missunderstood my space station idea.

When I said "successfully dial the gate" I wasn't talking about power required, I was talking about getting a viable address.

Even placed half-way between our galaxy and their's, it's still going to be a massive distance. Long enough, I think, that it would require an 8 chevron lock. We would have to figure out what the new gate address would be, if it's even possible. Maybe it'd be the same address, and since it's pointed towards Pegasus, the distance symbol might be the same one used for Atlantis.

And your idea to stack DHDs......... probably wouldn't work. There has been nothing in the show thus far that leads me to believe that DHDs can be networked together. And you would have to network the DHDs in order to pool their power supplies.

But this is all academic anyway since none of us are writers and none of its' real so.......... yeah......... whatever............

Comment

I would have thought that using multiple DHD power sources would be able to open the gate momentarily, like when McKay combined atlantis's power generation capabilities in "letters from pegasus". But I wouldn't have that it would be possible to sustain the wormhole for travel though.

Comment

Your space station has to be in orbit around a planet. I'm pretty sure this was an established idea from the goau'ld. Remember when Apothis lead his first attack on earth....which was prevented b/c Daniel found out by gettin caught in an alternate reality. They couldn't dial the address b/c the mothership wasn't near a planet...but when it got close to earth, they were able to dial it.

But i'm gonna have to agree...i think the DHD can dial into another galaxy b/c of how it was able to dial so many multiple addresses at once on Dakara. Maybe we should have an alpha site with an already established DHD and work on figuring out how to reprogram it for an 8th chevron like Jack did. I'm sure Same can figure it out

Comment

Nah, better
                            build small space stations, place them along the way from earth to atlantis and equip each one with a gate.
                            Would requiere only about 30 gates that way.

Comment

and do what the gate in the anubis episode did... and make it dial the next gate and the next and the next.. so the stations would have to only be stationed gate only... not even covered for oxygen...
                              "I'm still trying to understand, how you thought it was a good idea to test this device by having someone throw you off a balcony."
                              "Oh, believe me that's not the first thing we tried."
                              "I shot him. In the leg."
                              "I'm invulnerable."
                              "Aren't you the one who's always spouting off about how proper and careful scientific procedure must be adhered to?"
                              "In-vul-ner-able!"

Comment

Working...
                              X