Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=astronomicalchick][QUOTE=ses110]I hate to say this but Sam is starting to look real shallow by getting all upset about Jack and then staying with Pete.If Sam really loves Jack she should break up with Pete.If Sam loves Pete she needs to tell Jack so Jack can move on.Sam keeps giving Jack mixed signals.I still believe Sam and Jack will end up together but I am losing my patience.

I agree totally, I just find Sam totally irritating at the moment.
    I think Sam is still chasing that chimera, that illusion of a normal life she think she wants. I do think she thinks she has strong feelings for Pete (I can't use the L word) and I do think she loves Jack in a deep and true way but also in a I' can't have him' sort of way. Don't forget she has denied her feelings for years, repressed them, pushed them aside in favour of serving her country and saving the world.

They have never come close to having a discussion about their feelings and the options open to them. her only discussion with Jack about it has been in her imagination. As well as loving Jack she has tremendous pride and admiration for him as a commander, (just look at the way she describes him in Heroes) and she clearly hasn't thought about him giving it all up for her, and I don't think she thinks he should. Also what indication has she got that he would? So that leaves it up to her to leave.

She has thought about it. She talked about in Grace (to herself) but she also talked about a life with Jack being something she can't have (can't remember exact wording) so she thinks she is protecting herself from being hurt by anyone else by focusing on Jack as unatainable. For me that is the key to her being with Pete, she thinks she can't be with Jack. She thinks he loves her I believe and she knows she loves him, but for me she's chosen the easy option with Pete, the illusion of love. She will come around, it is only an illusion

erika

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
      Can I just take a moment to go off on a little rant here? And I want to make it clear that I'm not posting as a mod but merely expressing a pet peeve of mine.

I just want to say that I find the recent more and more violent posts toward Pete somewhat disturbing. And I'm not targeting this thread I'm just posting here because I know that everyone here is not particularly fond of Pete, including myself. But does anyone else find the "Die, Pete, Die!" sentiments to be a little much. I don't really want to see Pete again and I most certainly don't want him to end up with Sam but I don't want to see him die a horrible death either. Am I alone in this? Does anyone agree with me?
      I agree with you 100%.

Wishing him dead is not the solution.

In fact I just posted a long thing about this, kind of defending the shippers, over at the season 8 thread where the new pete spoilers are (the name escapes me just now), saying that I think most of the shippers say nasty things about Pete only on the shipper thread, and only to vent and to be humorous - which is why the whole potatoe thing started. It's childish and not very productive, but at least it isn't meant maliciously.

I find it very disturbing if anybody actually goes around with the 'die Pete die' or similar mantra and truly believes in it.

Even if they don't really believe it and mean it to be light-hearted, there should be some indication - especially outside of the shipper thread - that it is meant that way.

I don't think I've ever said anything bad about Pete - apart from some sighing and grumbling and some upset smilies - but I'll be more cautious in future anyway.

Editing to say that I might copy this post over to the other thread, including your quote if that's ok Shipperahoy?
      Last edited by SaharaGate; 13 May 2004, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eken95
        I think Sam is still chasing that chimera, that illusion of a normal life she think she wants.

<snip>

She has thought about it. She talked about in Grace (to herself) but she also talked about a life with Jack being something she can't have (can't remember exact wording) so she thinks she is protecting herself from being hurt by anyone else by focusing on Jack as unatainable. For me that is the key to her being with Pete, she thinks she can't be with Jack. She thinks he loves her I believe and she knows she loves him, but for me she's chosen the easy option with Pete, the illusion of love. She will come around, it is only an illusion

erika

I like the way you think, Erika. Thanks for posting. Thanks for the calm.

Sally

ps- I ventured out of this soft and friendly place... and forgot how much ppl don't like ship, and even shippers a bit.
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaharaGate
          I agree with you 100%.

snip.

I find it very disturbing if anybody actually goes around with the 'die Pete die' or similar mantra and truly believes in it.

Even if they don't really believe it and mean it to be light-hearted, there should be some indication - especially outside of the shipper thread - that it is meant that way.

COLOR]
          I also totally agree. Not to bring the conversation down too much but I'm feeling there is way to much death and destruction going on in the real world today and it makes me feel uncomfortable here even with a fictional character. Also I want Pete to get dumped by Sam, not grieved over. I want her to totally reject him in favour of the man she really loves I don't want death but a little public humiliation would be ok <g>

erika
          Last edited by Eken95; 13 May 2004, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ses110
            If TPTB though they could get away with it they would love to make dd a regular.I always heard TPTB say no RDA no new Seasons.Now TPTB and the actors seem find moving on without RDA.That's loyalty for you.The almight dollar strikes again.
            C'mon. No Jack no Stargate. All the folks who like Stargate and aren't online love Jack/RDA. I know for me, I'd stop watching it, in fact, with all these new spoilers I might stop watching it anyway, and just watch the episodes with Jack in 'em. And Teal'c probably.

Definitely giving Sam and Pete the bodyswerve. And I'm still annoyed at being "told off" by AT for not liking Pete at the convention in Pasadena. Since when do I have to like a character?

Comment

Originally posted by SaharaGate
              I agree with you 100%.

snip.

COLOR]
              I also totally agree. Not to bring the conversation down too much but I'm feeling there is way to much death and destruction going on in the real world today and I'd rather not talk about it here. Also I want Pete to get dumped by Sam, not grieved over. I want her to totally reject him in favour of the man she really loves I don't want death but a little public humiliation would be ok <g>

erika

Comment

I really do think that they are listening to the shippers who do not want Pete with Sam ..but because David needs a job..and he was Sam's boyfriend in potatoe episode..they will use him like that for a while ..but not in real ..if he is used in some kind of vision then , he will be accepted by the shippers Sam/Jack and will please the non-shippers Sam/Jack ..plus at least they are using it for the mythology of the show and not only for a bedroom scene which would be soap opera-ish.I think all this will make realize that Jack is the only one for Sam at the end .
                She 's gonna have a really hard time to figure out where she is going but reckon that she's gonna freak out if Pete mention marriage and babies.I think like somebody said before ..she 'll question her mind and go with her heart later on.

I would really like to see an AU episode where Sam and Jack are married ..and they turn up too to have a glimpse of what their life could be together ( Lot's of friend, still working for SGC...looking at the stars everynight on the top roof of Jack's house, cuddling and so ..on) and then we could have a glimpse of what Sam and 's life would be together too(Not so good because he would have forced her to leave the SGC and live on a isolated farm in Montana with no friends around ) because Pete is very possessiv and wanted Sam to be as far as civilisation as possible.

Then she'll make up her mind about who she wants to be with. Bet she'll choose happiness and Jack rather than gloomy isolated life with ........

Don't worry ..It's just gonna be just fine ...You'll see but we'll have lots of Angst.

Caty aka ShipDiva.

Comment

Originally posted by Token
                  What irks me is....What does have to do with the SGC?! Nothing. What does have to do with the Stargate, the off-world missions, the saving the universe, the help the aliens action when seeing Sam and . Nothing. All the other men interested in Sam (Martouf, Joe, McKay, Naarim, Hanson, Agent Barrett) were part of the SciFi storylines. I personally would not be AS bothered if the love interests of any of SG-1 didn't take away from the SciFi that is Stargate SG-1.

Of course, I want Sam and Jack together, and I think they could have used a different type of character if TPTB needed a plot device IMO.
                  I think one of the main points with Pete is that he is not part of her professional life. Sam's questioning her priorities here and thinking she's given up the personal side of her life for the sake of the professional. Giving her a work-related love interest wouldn't draw that line as distinctly. He's solely the personal life without any professional complications or issues. He's what she thought she was giving up because of the career/Jack (and I think the two are pretty mixed together in her head). She needs to figure out that she wasn't focused on the career/Jack as an excuse, but because that's what she really wants. To do that they gave her a love interest that was directly related to neither. Then, when she figures out that's not what she wanted after all, the remove obstacles statement from vision-dad hits home in a whole new way.
                  *Whenever the Opportunity Arises take it in Hand*

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                    It's hard to dismiss his shenanigans when it would have been so simple to 'not' have him do any of this and still be Sam's bf. With the way Chernobyl and PS were written, how could the writers 'not' have known he'd come off so bad???
                    I'd guess they were too close to it to see the bigger picture. Chimera sounds like it was a development nightmare. First they didn't have time to do the Sam gets a boyfriend thing since it was the last season. Then it wasn't the last season and they had to rush to get it in and use it to prolong the Sam/Jack thing another season. First it was gonna be multiple episodes where he's introduced one week and shows back up for the relationship bit. Then things got reordered and that didn't happen. Also the relationship part got mushed into one episode with the Daniel/Osiris plot somewhere in there, too. And they decided they needed to bring the two plots together somehow. Add kludges and plot devices as needed at each step along the way. Each individual element probably came out of various different creative meetings until they finally smushed the thing together, pitched it out the door, and were just glad it was done. In those kinds of cases, the bigger perspective of how all the elements look together can get lost.
                    *Whenever the Opportunity Arises take it in Hand*

Comment

Originally posted by auralan
                      I think one of the main points with Pete is that he is not part of her professional life. Sam's questioning her priorities here and thinking she's given up the personal side of her life for the sake of the professional. Giving her a work-related love interest wouldn't draw that line as distinctly. He's solely the personal life without any professional complications or issues. He's what she thought she was giving up because of the career/Jack (and I think the two are pretty mixed together in her head). She needs to figure out that she wasn't focused on the career/Jack as an excuse, but because that's what she really wants. To do that they gave her a love interest that was directly related to neither. Then, when she figures out that's not what she wanted after all, the remove obstacles statement from vision-dad hits home in a whole new way.
                      Yes, I agree and understand that. However, TPTB have established S/P with the "Chimera" episode so couldn't they work out the rest of the S/P relationship off camera. I'm soooo trying to avoid seeing Sam and Pete together.

Token ~

Comment

Originally posted by auralan
                        I'd guess they were too close to it to see the bigger picture. Chimera sounds like it was a development nightmare. First they didn't have time to do the Sam gets a boyfriend thing since it was the last season. Then it wasn't the last season and they had to rush to get it in and use it to prolong the Sam/Jack thing another season. First it was gonna be multiple episodes where he's introduced one week and shows back up for the relationship bit. Then things got reordered and that didn't happen. Also the relationship part got mushed into one episode with the Daniel/Osiris plot somewhere in there, too. And they decided they needed to bring the two plots together somehow. Add kludges and plot devices as needed at each step along the way. Each individual element probably came out of various different creative meetings until they finally smushed the thing together, pitched it out the door, and were just glad it was done. In those kinds of cases, the bigger perspective of how all the elements look together can get lost.
                        If I'm not mistaken, "Grace", "Chimera", and "Death Knell" were all being filmed at the same time so I can see how things can get smushed.

Token ~

Comment

Originally posted by astronomicalchick
                          C'mon. No Jack no Stargate. All the folks who like Stargate and aren't online love Jack/RDA. I know for me, I'd stop watching it, in fact, with all these new spoilers I might stop watching it anyway, and just watch the episodes with Jack in 'em. And Teal'c probably.

Definitely giving Sam and Pete the bodyswerve. And I'm still annoyed at being "told off" by AT for not liking Pete at the convention in Pasadena. Since when do I have to like a character?

Yep, I agree. As much as I love Sam, Daniel and Teal'c, I would stop watching if RDA leaves. I'm unhappy now with so many Jack lite episodes. I understand and approve RDA's decision to stay close to his daughter, but as a fan I miss him.

I think the PTB are still surprised with how much we disliked the Pete character. I don't think they wrote him to be disliked. Unlike Maybourne and Kinsey. We love to hate them. And we are supposed to.

Happy
                          Happy

Sig pic by Mala the Magnificent

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                            Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I didn't think of it that way until you mentioned it. But.... (quoting part of the spoilers) "He uses his abilities to interface with her mind and impersonate Pete, trying to convince Sam that she is living on a farm in Montana with him after having resigned from the S.G.C." Now, can you imagine anything more torturous than living with PS on a farm in Montana? Not that farm living and Montana are bad, it's just *so* different and DULL to what Sam's used to. So, you have to wonder, did Fifth pull that scenario out of Sam's own head because of her true feelings for PS? PS might be the nice, I'm settling kind of guy -ignoring the following, check ups, and almost getting her killed parts of course. But if this is from Fifth's imagination, then you still have to wonder why he'd picked farming and Montana?... another kind of torture? Either way, this scenario of retiring for PS and ending up with this life isn't all that inviting to me.

Sally

ps - This is my following disclaimer: farming, farmers, and Montana are NOT dull or boring. No offense meant.
                            Thank you, Sally! You made me feel a little better. This farm in Montana thing...it is soooo not Sam. She likes adventure and excitement and challenge. Can you imagine how crazy it would make her without any doohickeys to play with? Ever since I read about coming back and the word "multiple," I've been having these highs and lows in my emotions. I'll be upset over something then someone will comment about it in a positive manner and I'll feel better, but then I'll think of something else to worry about. I just keep re-reading the positive posts and taking deep, calming breaths.
                            Tasha
                            JSDT's Sam and Jack Support Site

Thank you, Nikkirose!

Comment

Originally posted by nickatell
                              ...and oh yes Pit, well I think a shipper took care of him back in episode 10 she just couldn't stand it anymore, ...

Hey you guys, my blood pressure is calming down, the shakes are gone, I didn't die from the news.....yet!!!!!
                              ROFLMAO!!!!! Oh thank you! This just struck me as extremely funny and I really needed a laugh about now. And thank you too for expressing the frustration that many of us feel. I'm just not as eloquent as some of you in expressing my emotions, so it's good there are those of you who can state things so succinctly.
                              Tasha
                              JSDT's Sam and Jack Support Site

Thank you, Nikkirose!

Comment

I have to admit that whole Chimera story has really got me confused and I know we have all analyzed it to death but until I guess Damien Kindler himself sits down and answers questions about it, we will never really know if the show came off as he intended it to. My gut tells me it did not because of AT's reaction to it all as well as what someone reported Damian Kindler said on the DVD. I know I came into the show with hesitations because Pete was someone coming between Jack and Sam and you just don't do that; but, (there is always a but with me) I know that is not the only reason I did not like him. If they portrayed him as a nice guy who falls head over heels in love with Sam, Sam asks him to pick her up and strange Stargate things start happening, then my attitude toward Pete would have been different, he would just have been a victim of circumstance. If he never left Sam in bed like he did, but it was bothering him like he thought she was hiding something or in trouble being a cop I could have understood the background check; but, the minute he found out that she works for the Air Force he should have assumed she was on a case and left it at that assuming it was none of his business. The fact that he took her where he did and started talking to her about a future, yes was weird to me but different people, different dates. Then showing up at a stakeout, how does that just happen? He had to have been following her. The ending had to be the last straw, after all of this she tells him everything about the Stargate, heck we didn't even tell Catherine who started the whole thing. Did they make two episodes and they watched the other one? Now, could it have been a rushed episode as some seem to think, I guess so;but, then why all the surprises as to how we saw the episode? What will be even weirder to me will be after their reactions to our interpretation of the episode, if they make him a bad guy because they seemed so surprised that we saw him that way. Unless, they were surprised that we caught on so quickly to their plan of making him evil all the time and their reactions are just a scam. Oh my goodness that confusion cloud that is hanging over Jack and Sam is over me now!

I think their plan probably now will be make Pete a nice guy who simiply wants Sam and what HE considers to be a normal life for them;then, Sam will have to come to bat and stop guessing what she wants and make a decision. If they make him a bad guy I would think that Sam would just think she picked the wrong guy and continue looking, no?

I bet the reason that we are getting all the non shippy moments leaked to us is because of casting and those scripts can get out; but, obviously the shippy moments are between Jack and Sam and those don't get out as easily unless AT says something at a convention or something, just my opinion. I have to say though I wish a little something good would come out it would just make swallowing all this other icky stuff that much easier.

Comment

Working...
                                X