This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickatell
    I guess the most frustrating part of all of this for me is that Jack and Sam coming together could have been such a natural thing and we could have focused on things that really pertain to Stargate like the transition of Sam from second in command to leading the missions, Jacks transition into head of the SGC, and Daniels and Teal'cs new obsticals that they might face in Season 8, and sometimes as added throw ins how the relationship between Jack and Sam is progressing. I guess I feel TBTB had enough to deal with that Pete really wasn't necessary.

I also feel with bringing Pete aboard they have made things more difficult for themselves than they think. Initially we probably all would have been happy with a kiss and maybe a fishing invitation being accepted, now because of Pete the stakes have been raised, a good majority of us are hoping for equal and better time for Jack when they do get together. So what could have been simple and natural, now has become a major issue (pardon the pun). I think when you start including a spark of a relationship between two main characters the best way to handle it would be to let it progress slowly, yes angst and rst are important ingredients in capturing a shipper audience, but I think where most writers go wrong is hanging on to the angst and rst too long. If they would let the relationship naturally take its place in the show, the expectations don't get too high and usually can be met, but if you hang on too long you usually start loosing part of your audience; so, when you then do throw your two characters together the expectations are too high for any writer to really reach. Does that make any sense? I think by bringing Pete in it serves only to bring the relationship to the forefront of the show when the shows main focus should stay on the team. Case in point "Chimera" itself. Daniels part of the show to me was what the episode should have focused on that is what Stargate is about, but the main focus was on the big deal of Pete and Daniels part of the story was lost and forgotten. This is where I think ship gets the raw deal, don't shine the main focus on it; let it grow slowly and passionately in the background and everybody wins.
    You are exactly correct! If the writers had just let the relationship evolve naturally we would have all had normal relationship expections. The non-shippers would hardly have noticed the relationship as the SG-1 stories would have been the primary focus.

But now getting Sam and Jack together is gonna have to be compressed into a short timespan and everyone's expectations just keep getting higher. Especially with the introduction of "you know who".

It's gonna take some fancy writing to get the writers out of this pickle. It will sure be interesting to see if the writers are up to the task.
    Ship Nana

Comment

Originally posted by waterfall
      Ya know, I've often wondered this myself.
      Something smells fishy and it's not Jack's lake.
      Mabey the reason they are continuing with this storyline that they have something up their sleeve that will be revealed in a later story.

Actually I've just had a very interesting thought.

I always thought that 'S arrival was a little too conveniant in terms of timing.

Imagine this:
      Perhaps the reason that no one got upset about being at the stake out or about Sam telling him about the Stargate is that he is the "Chimera"
      and that Sam is still suffering the effects of the alien in "Grace"??????

Think about it: When Sam said "It's Pete" at the stakeout Jack just had this confused look on his face and you never saw with anyone else but Sam.

Sam can talk about all she wants but what if nobody has met him??
      Mebey is just another hallucination.

We can only hope.

waterfall
      Great theory!!!! It sure works for me!!
      Ship Nana

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
        howdy folks! i've been off line for a couple of days now. i'm in shipper withdrawal. need cookies. need ship.
        Welcome Back!!! Help yourself to the cookies. I hear Ship Nana has been working hard.

anywho, i've just finished skimming through about 10+ pages here, so i'm sorry if i'm repeating anything thats already been expressed or dismissed or anything.

i've been hearing some talk from various sources about the whole following sam thing being petes instincts because he's a cop. now, correct me if i'm wrong here, but don't cops usually arrest people for doing that kind of thing? or at least enforce restraining orders.
        Yep.

sam nekkid eh? well, all my stargate buddies will be pleased (all guys, loved the blue dress thing, its the only thing they remember from that episode other than shang tsung from mortal kombat ). what magazine were those interviews in and is it available in ireland does anyone know? i'd like to know what RDA had to say too.

i'm really confused about ship at the moment. one minute it sounds like they're abandoning it totally, the next it sounds like they're gonna keep it like its always been. i have no idea whats going on.
        So are we all....

i was actually poen to both troi/worf ship and troi/riker ship. just thought i'd mention that for anyone who thought maybe we shippers couldn't be receptive or open minded to other ship and whatnot. i also was not a mulder/scully relationshipper but was very much a mulder/scully friendshipper. i was not totally against mulder/scully ship. did not think it ruined the show, or had any part in ruining the show. i blame other things for that (only my opinion). didn't go for worf/dax ship either. i'm very picky about ship in tv shows.
        Actually I didn't care for the Troi/Riker paring because I didn't like Riker. Thought he acted too much like a John Wayne wannbe. My man was Picard. Such a sexy voice. I shipped for Picard and Crusher. Talk about being yanked around and ripped off. The last episode we find out they got married and are already divorced! WTF?? At least there was a real kiss or two with Troi and Riker.

i am very much a sam/jack shipper. i think they'd be great together. i think they compliment each other perfectly. they look good together, he relaxes her, she laughs at his jokes. and most importantly, he doesn't disrespect her. he doesn't stalk her. he isn't demeaning or condecending to her, unless its in a sarcastic, funny way. and then, very rarely, minutely and only when she deserves it. to bring her back down to earth so to speak.

i like sam and jack. i'd like them even more together or at least more relaxed with each other. i'm confused and speaking mumbo jumbo. i don't even know what i mean anymore!!!!!!!
        Sam and Jack belong together!! Your mumbo jumbo is coming in loud and clear! Must be because we eat the same cookies.

COOKIES!!! (do we have a ship cookie monster?)
        Would you like the job??

Token ~

Comment

Originally posted by sacme
          He was there because (in his mind) Sam was his woman, and he wanted to know what his woman was doing-- nevermind that it totally goes against the rules of her job (which she cares about very much) that he know. Controlling, selfish SOB.
          I think this nails it. Insecure. Immature. Obsessive. Possessive. Control-freak. Our Mr. Eek.

I think it's a double standard that I hadn't expected on Stargate, especially since Sam has been written so self-assured.
          Yep.

After she saw that was going to be okay, Sam should have given him three snaps up and a neck roll, before reminding him, 'look, I'm a military officer, Gulf War vet and I've been a defender of this country for a long time -- and I've been able to do it competently for years without your help. Back off! How dare you disregard my position, betray my trust, embarrass me in front of my teammates, jeopardize my operation-- putting us all in danger, and demand so much of me after knowing me for a few weeks-- as a cop I expected more from you. I thought you'd get it. Obviously, I was wrong. You're not that cute. It's over.'
          Ahhh... don't we wish the Sam we all know and love would kick butt, she's no damsel in distress.......

He's truly half a man. So insecure. I mean could have found her secrets exciting. Especially after he did the background check, he would have known that she was into some top-secret military stuff. He could have said, 'whoa. she's into some deep $#*+. she could probably kill me 5 ways with her big toe, if she wanted. that's hot. I should give her her space, let her do her thing, so she can come home to me and show me some moves.'
          We know that's what Jack woulda done.........
          Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
          My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

although i didn't ship for picard/crusher, i do understand how you feel. i do think the picard/crusher shippers got ripped off. although i don't think that pairing was as overt as most, it was there and it was intended to be a ship pairing as much as riker/troi or as much as sam/jack, and i think they ripped you guys off big time considering they didn't even get them together in the movies. (the time line had changed so it might not have ended in divorce that time).

i really hope we sam/jack shippers don't get ripped off like that. (and i hope they don't make pete the worf of this senario either. eeeewwww)

as for the ship cookie monster. i think we should have one. if someone else wants it more, i'll step aside.

Comment

Originally posted by sugarshaker
              Sugarshaker waves to all the shippers!

I am hopelessly behind on all these posts, so please forgive me if someone already said this. I can't believe what I'm reading here. Yuck. If your daughter's boyfriend parked down the street from her house, and watched her comings and goings, and followed her in her car, would that be acceptable? I think most people would say this is a complete no-brainer.

I know there's been a lot said about how AT had to say something like this to support the party line, and that may be true, but I had to get this off my chest anyway. It's not OK for anyone to do that to my daughter (if I had one) and it's not OK for anyone to do it to Sam either! There. That and some yellow shipper cookies and I'll be fine.

I'm on vacation next week, so instead of my usual beach reading, I'm printing out all the posts I've yet to read (pages and pages) and taking them with me to catch up on. (Yes, I ended that sentence with a preposition! ) Reading you guys is better than reading John Grisham any day!
              *Ship Nana waves back at Sugarshaker*

Welcome and glad you also came out to play.

Don't forget to pack your shipper cookies too! They are a must on vacation!
              Ship Nana

Comment

(snip)
                as for the ship cookie monster. i think we should have one. if someone else wants it more, i'll step aside.
                Hey, I just bake 'em, I don't have time to distribute 'em!!! So, the job is definitely open!!

Let's see to date there are yellow, blue, purple and orange Shipper Cookies. Hmmm, have I forgotten any?
                Ship Nana

Comment

OK, promise I won't post about anymore.... for a while, at least, after this one...... (but I had to get some of the pent up frustration out, since for weeks all I was doing was reading everyone else's ranting....... now I can put my 2 cents in!)

But........a thought...
                  If you have been in abusive, destructive romantic relationships before & you accepted those as normal, when a petey comes along who's slightly more normal than ex-fiance was, (& remembering painfully that it's been 7 looooooong years) you probably might feel that your romantic life is lookin' up .... hey, lookie guys, this is my boyfriend, ain't he sweet? (while standing there w/head tilted down, twirling hair around index finger, making circles in the dirt w/toes....)

Even though she is our KickButtTakeNoPrisonersSam when it comes to her job & nearly every other aspect of her life & Caring/Loving/Supportive w/her friends, I think there's (& it's probably along the lines of what AT was referring to in the interview) an intense romantic insecurity there.... "I must not be good enough because look what I attract..... Is this all that's out there?.... I wanna man.......But strong, respectful, funny, supportive........ Where's that man? Wait.... He's been right here beside me.... But I can't have him..... But my CLOCK is starting to tick away & I want kids! AAARRGGGhhhhh! What do I do?????"

Guess we should be happy Sam had sex?

Trying to be an optimist - we can only hope that the positive aspects of the relationship, even if would turn out that he's only AlienInducedPhantasyPete ("hey - he treats me better than any guy I've had so far & hey - I had sex for the first time in 7 years!") (note: not "I made love") will help her see it's just a mediocre relationship, not the barnburner, soul-satisfier she wants/need/could have w/Jack. (and that she is worth it & does deserve better)

You know we're all going fall out of our chairs & off the sofas & beds when TPTB actually let our someone special make LOVE to her & the power grid will go on the fritz as all of our pent up tension is released!
                  Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                  My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by shimmeringstar
                    You know we're all going fall out of our chairs & off the sofas & beds when TPTB actually let our someone special make LOVE to her & the power grid will go on the fritz as all of our pent up tension is released!
                    i like this "when" talk. lets have more of that all 'round.

Comment

Originally posted by Token
                      Yes, YES, YES!!!! I'm looking forward to the Lowdown on SciFi on July 5! I hope we get some gooood ship previews. Hey, I can dream, can't I? Must be the blue shipper cookies that bring on the dreamy bliss.
                      I'm going to be on vacation that whole week! I'm setting two VCR's before I leave and I have two friends who are going to tape the Lowdown and the season premiere for me. I like to be prepared! I just know that there will be a thunderstorm and the electricity will go off while I'm gone. That's why I have my friends taping it for me too! At least one of them better remember. I'll probably be desperate and call from Florida to remind them.
                      Tasha
                      JSDT's Sam and Jack Support Site

Thank you, Nikkirose!

Comment

[QUOTE]
                        Originally posted by Liebestraume
                        Hey there, fair neighbor! Glad to be sharing my happy-pills (or delusion ) with ya. I don't get to post in this thread as much as I'd like to, because I am always awed by your collective eloquence (and have very little to add ). But I do lurk quite a bit.
                        hey, are you going to the Stargate con in August?
                        In case you couldn't get ahold of the mag, here are TameFarrar's links to the scan of the article.
                        thanks!

On a separate note ... funny you were talking about Riker and Troi of ST:TNG. It is my favorite SciFi show, primarily because I grew up with it. I am sorry to say that I didn't really "get" R/T; instead, their relationship just confused me (or maybe I was just too young back then). That is until I read Imazadi and finally "got" what it was all about, years after the show ended.
                        OMG, that is one of the best books EVER! I absolutely adored it and never wanted it to end! Sooo romantic and fun! If Jack and Sam could get stranded in the woods like they did-- shipper heaven!

ship sistah

ship = , no ship = , AU Martouf =

Comment

i read that book in about 2 days. not bad for someone who gets so bored so easily it usually takes a month and thats IF i even finish the book. then i went off star trek, and couldn't care less what happened to any of them (around voyager season 4.5)

although enterprise looks interesting. i should probably watch that more.

i think sam and jack still beat any other sci fi couple (that i've seen) hands down. star trek just cannot write ship anywhere near as well. i also think that ST can't write women characters very well. with a few exceptions.

Comment

It was weird, but nice, hearing Sam called Colonel Carter.
                            The first time I heard him -the guy that got to be on the show from Conan- I thought he said Colonel Potter!<g> Btw, Colonel Potter's from MASH. I thought he'd mixed things up or something. It was, in fact, ME that was mixed up.<g>

And it was weird-- and something I'm going to have to work hard to accept-- that Jack won't be with her on missions anymore. I'm going to miss that. I liked the cameraderie-- of the whole team, really-- and him watching her six in dangerous situations.

From what I've heard...

Spoilers for season 8

Jack will 'still' go on missions with them, only occasionally.

Sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ship Nana
                              Ship Nana stands up and applauds Ship Sistah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              Thanks, Nana! Can I rant or what?! I was simply on a tear yesterday.
                              I'm not even a big complainer usually. I'm a shipper , not a ranter . I want to have nice, loving thoughts all the time. I want to eat orange and purple shipper cookies and get all warm and fuzzy and dreamy. I tear up at the slightest romantic nuance. I want everyone's dreams to come true and live happily ever after.

AND THEN CAME CHERNOBYL.

I want to go back to the the way I was.

So TPTB better not mess with me !

help!

GRRRRR!!!!

Which side will win Ship Sistah's soul? Stay tuned...

ship = , no ship = , AU Martouf =

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                                Unfortunately some of the pictures are still too big. They have to fall within the signature guidelines which if you look at the FAQ can be no more than 200 pixels tall. Just to give you some reference Token's last picture is 327 pixels tall (sorry Token, I'm not trying to pick on you, I'm just trying to give some sort of scale). Again, I hate to be the big burly billy-club bearing prison matron but rules is rules and the people with dial-up thank you.
                                OK, no more BIG pix... But really - I don't think that the small/medium-sized ones like my Heroes hugs and RDA/AT Chemistry are making this place slow. However, I will obey.

Anyway, to those of you (OK, MajorSal, Oz, Tame, Marimba, et. al) who like the Potatohead Collection, I've added a few more. Guess I was 'inspired' (hah!) by the latest S8 spoilers... (Ok, I love AT, but she really did seem to come off kind of defensive and shrill...maybe it was the shouting and the finger pointing -- yeah it's hard to know if she was if you weren't there...but didn't like her answers much). So a few of my Potato pix are in reaction to that...

No BIG pix, huh?? These are 200 pixels, btw.

OK, go to my page if you really want to see what I have to say :

GW S/J Shipper's Thread Graphics
                                http://home.earthlink.net/~rdapix2/Potatohead.htm
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X