Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When it rains it pours Shipperahoy.If 8 is not the end the only Ship we will get is Sam and Pete.I hate to sound so negative but I have had it with Pete and my patience is running low for Sam and Jack.I need some good news regarding Sam and Jack for Season 8 before it's too late.

Comment

Originally posted by marimba26
      Here, have some wine! (wish I had some of those cool gifs like Shipnana). I ran for a glass as soon as I read that! I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO with you. I'm just converting another shipper as I was reading this and YIKES!!! I can't have a newbie shipper who is already frustrated! I just can't believe PTB would do this to us! BTW--does anyone know when this issue will be available? Or is it online? Link please!
      I'm sooooo trying to remain positive. Every time I start to feel good about the future of ship, I see things like this that make me want to scream from the injustice of it all. Hopefully, this is all a ruse to deter us from the real truth...SAM AND JACK WILL BE TOGETHER, AS IN A COUPLE!!! Please...pretty please...pretty, pretty please...with sugar on top?
      Tasha
      JSDT's Sam and Jack Support Site

Thank you, Nikkirose!

Comment

No season 8 spoilers, just speculation.
        Originally posted by ses110
        Spoliers for Season 7 "Chimera"

I heard Scifi magazine is coming out with an interview with RDA and AT and it does not sound good for Shippers.What a surprise.The Pete character is given a pass for his behavior in Chimera.Pete is a cop So he is allowed to Spy and Stalk Sam.
        I really think they had a long term plan for the whole boyfriend plot and genuinely had no idea (being too close to the situation as the plot morphed through a rather rushed and crazy development process) how Pete would come across in the final edit. Now they're stuck in a bit of a dilemma. They have a long term plan that needs a boyfriend. They have an actor they like and want to use again. They have a plot that works with this character. Chimera was filmed late in the shooting order and aired long after they shut down production, so they couldn't go back and adjust anything in season 7.

They're a little stuck -- especially if they need Sam to already be in a relationship at the beginning of season 8 for whatever they have planned. I'm sure there are ways they could work around it with enough reworking, but they seem to have chosen to limp along with the original plan as best they can. Why? Probably a combination of wanting to keep the actor, liking the original plot idea, and not having better idea of how to get to the eventual conclusion. I don't think we'd like it much better if they got rid of Pete only to replace him with another boyfriend so they could try it again -- this time over correcting with somebody so painfully perfect it'd make our teeth hurt. Especially since this whole plot isn't really about Pete. That he didn't turn out exactly as planned doesn't prevent him from serving his purpose. Plot devices need only get the job done, it doesn't have to be pretty. They they're just glossing over it and keeping him anyway actually says quite a bit. If he were actually being set up to matter, you can bet they'd be a lot more concerned that a chunk of viewers have major issues with the character and don't think he's good for Sam. Instead they're just weathering the complaints until we get to the payoff. Once we're there, I bet Pete's the last thing we'll be discussing.
        *Whenever the Opportunity Arises take it in Hand*

Comment

Originally posted by auralan
          No season 8 spoilers, just speculation.

I really think they had a long term plan for the whole boyfriend plot and genuinely had no idea (being too close to the situation as the plot morphed through a rather rushed and crazy development process) how Pete would come across in the final edit. Now they're stuck in a bit of a dilemma. They have a long term plan that needs a boyfriend. They have an actor they like and want to use again. They have a plot that works with this character. Chimera was filmed late in the shooting order and aired long after they shut down production, so they couldn't go back and adjust anything in season 7.

They're a little stuck -- especially if they need Sam to already be in a relationship at the beginning of season 8 for whatever they have planned. I'm sure there are ways they could work around it with enough reworking, but they seem to have chosen to limp along with the original plan as best they can. Why? Probably a combination of wanting to keep the actor, liking the original plot idea, and not having better idea of how to get to the eventual conclusion. I don't think we'd like it much better if they got rid of Pete only to replace him with another boyfriend so they could try it again -- this time over correcting with somebody so painfully perfect it'd make our teeth hurt. Especially since this whole plot isn't really about Pete. That he didn't turn out exactly as planned doesn't prevent him from serving his purpose. Plot devices need only get the job done, it doesn't have to be pretty. They they're just glossing over it and keeping him anyway actually says quite a bit. If he were actually being set up to matter, you can bet they'd be a lot more concerned that a chunk of viewers have major issues with the character and don't think he's good for Sam. Instead they're just weathering the complaints until we get to the payoff. Once we're there, I bet Pete's the last thing we'll be discussing.
          I think this is a very astute conclusion, auralan! And when you put it that way it doesn't seem so bad. You're absolutely right about not wanting them to replace Pete with someone good! It's much easier to gripe about Pete who is despicable (sp?) that it would be to gripe about someone who was really wonderful. If he was really wonderful--we'd look a little silly because then there would be some truth to the argument that some use that says "You just don't like Pete because he's not Jack". Right now, we can say no because Pete is a stalker and a creep and is obviously very selfish. He is only interested in his own agenda and he has serious trust issues. I won't even go into all the implications his stalking brings up. This way, it is easier to think of him as a means to an end (this is the argument hubs uses to calm me down). And I'd MUCH prefer to think of him as a means to an end than as a serious relationship for Sam! I hope he accompishes his purpose soon though--I'm really frustrated right now!!!!
          Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
          Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
          Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Comment

You make very good points auralan but it sends a message that spying and Stalking are ok when an actor keeps defending Pete.The Pete character was rewarded at the end of Chimera when the Sam character should have ripped him good.If TPTB and the Actors want to keep Pete that's fine but do not insult my intelligence and other Shipper's intelligence by defending Pete's actions.I also do not want to hear about regulations keeping Sam and Jack from being together when Pete was told everything about the Stargate.Where were the regulations then.

Comment

You make very good points auralan but it sends a message that spying and Stalking are ok when an actor keeps defending Pete.The Pete character was rewarded at the end of Chimera when the Sam character should have ripped him good.If TPTB and the Actors want to keep Pete that's fine but do not insult my intelligence and other Shipper's intelligence by defending Pete's actions.I also do not want to hear about regulations keeping Sam and Jack from being together when Pete was told everything about the Stargate.Where were the regulations then.
              Trust me, I'm not even remotely defending the character's actions. Pete, as we saw him, was way out of line in my book. We don't know if Amanda saw the final edit or not. I understand she doesn't much like watching herself. There definitely were Sam/Pete scenes cut because various people saw them filming. The episode was filmed over a stretch of time both first and second unit while other episodes were filming and I believe she was also prepping to direct. She may not even realize exactly how it all played in the final edit -- especially with cuts and revisions. What she remembers is this nice guy who she considers a friend and the fun they had filming. Her perspective could be strongly disconnected from what we saw. She also seems a smidge on the protective side when it comes to her friends and her character. So, there are biases all over the place here.

I don't like what Amanda's saying, but I can kind of squint at it and see why she's saying it. She wants Sam to be dating a nice guy. She was probably told they were writing her a character a nice, normal, human boyfriend. They probably thought they were writing a nice guy character and tossed in a little contrivance to make the plot work. The actor is a nice guy. Toss in a smidge of denial or ignorance of the final edit, you get about what she's saying. I don't like the message it sends, but perspective can be a wonky thing. She's probably not seeing any of this even remotely the way we are.
              Last edited by auralan; 24 May 2004, 08:15 PM. Reason: lost conjunction found
              *Whenever the Opportunity Arises take it in Hand*

Comment

Sorry to say it GoneShippin' but TPTB already messed up big time with Pete.I will continue to watch Season 8 but I am not buying season 7 DVD'S .I will wait to see if Sam and Jack get together beforel I spent another dime on Stargate.I will also not stick with Atlantis unless Sam and Jack get together.It may sound harsh but I will use the little power I have to get what I want.It is getting almost impossible to Stay positive regarding Sam and Jack Ship when we keep hearing the same old song about Pete and the Sam and Jack Ship.The Actors like DD and he is a relative so Pete must be defended at all costs.
                I'm not so far gone that I dislike the actor; in the right role (far, far away from our couple), I would have really enjoyed him. But I'm getting really discouraged about the ship. I also will not devote any of my time to Atlantis unless I see the Jack/Sam issue resolved favorably. We'll see about the S7 DVDs -- there are some good episodes I liked...wonder if there is a way to erase Chernobyl? If it weren't a waste of my hard earned $$$, I would suggest we all send TPTB S7 DVDs with the episode erased. probably too subtle for 'em. That alone tells me they're men. We need some women writers up there, some that understand our abject need for the ship to continue and strengthen.

Sorry I'm snarky tonight.. had a bad day at work and then THIS news...

Di

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar
                  I have NEVER heard Norah Jones but I really liked this song
                  I had a silly grin on my the ENTIRE song...that is what these two do to me!!!
                  The whole thing was just so wonderful of the JUST being THEM!!

Wonderful!!
                  Tame, honey, buy her 1st CD -- it's wonderful, very mellow and peaceful. Come Away With Me is the name of the CD as well as the first track. I haven't picked up her second one yet, but I hear it's just as good.

And YES, wasn't it a GREAT vid (thanks again, Marimba!) after what ses110 posted, I'll probably have to watch it daily to stay positive.
                  Di

Comment

quote from Marimba
                    "it is easier to think of him as a means to an end (this is the argument hubs uses to calm me down). And I'd MUCH prefer to think of him as a means to an end than as a serious relationship for Sam! I hope he accompishes his purpose soon though--I'm really frustrated right now!!!!

Marimba, this perspective helps -- yours too, Auralan!! thanks to all who have calmed my fears!

going to watch that WONDERFUL vid again and then it's off to bed to fall asleep to one of my DVDs...

hopeful Di

Comment

I dont know what it is...but i just dont see it with jack and sam..i also dont see it with pete and sam...i just dont see the characters in a romantic relationship...they both love their jobs too much and love what they're doing and it a way...the only relationship either will have is with what they're doing.

obviously they'll need some loving too...but i just dont see it in the series. its like...i dont know...hard to explain. i think if they finally gave in, it would kind of spoil it in a way...

Daniel: No Jonas, I will NOT play pass the mustard with you.
                      Jonas: What about pass the mayo?
                      Daniel: ...okay, but dont tell Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneShippin'
                        quote from Marimba
                        "it is easier to think of him as a means to an end (this is the argument hubs uses to calm me down). And I'd MUCH prefer to think of him as a means to an end than as a serious relationship for Sam! I hope he accompishes his purpose soon though--I'm really frustrated right now!!!!

Marimba, this perspective helps -- yours too, Auralan!! thanks to all who have calmed my fears!

going to watch that WONDERFUL vid again and then it's off to bed to fall asleep to one of my DVDs...

hopeful Di
                        I'm so glad you liked the vid! I had the song in cue for a while and them when you mentioned it I thought "Now's the time!" I like her music too. It's very soothing to me. I haven't heard her second one yet but it's on the list. Just remember the mantra--

SCREW THE REGS!!! DOWN WITH PIT!!! SAM AND JACK FOREVER!!!

or my husband's calmer mantra--

Pete is just a transitional guy

I understand you're frustration totally. If it weren't for vids and fanfic--I'd be nuts by now!

Comment

Okay I have made up my mind on this latest thing......If I leave it alone I will be able to sleep and I won't snap at my family

So I am just going to take the hint from Marimba and go back to what has always worked for us in the past!

Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar
                            Nice new sig Tame. Four are definitely better than two
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by auralan

[snip] She may not even realize exactly how it all played in the final edit -- especially with cuts and revisions. What she remembers is this nice guy who she considers a friend and the fun they had filming. Her perspective could be strongly disconnected from what we saw.
                              [snip]
                              I don't like what Amanda's saying, but I can kind of squint at it and see why she's saying it. She wants Sam to be dating a nice guy. She was probably told they were writing her a character a nice, normal, human boyfriend. They probably thought they were writing a nice guy character and tossed in a little contrivance to make the plot work. The actor is a nice guy. Toss in a smidge of denial or ignorance of the final edit, you get about what she's saying. I don't like the message it sends, but perspective can be a wonky thing. She's probably not seeing any of this even remotely the way we are.
                              I think you have an interesting point here. I thought I read somewhere that she had only watched episodes from the early seasons but then I thought I read somewhere else that she had watched Heroes. Of course, that could be the only ep she's watched this season. I'm sure that I read she doesn't like to watch herself--seems to be something many actors do.

As for Pete, the script may have read such that it would be easy to see him as "nice" but once the action is in, eveything changes. And if she didn't see the final edit then she would not necessarily have known. So, that could be true and it would be a nice way to explain everything. No one would suffer for the debacle that is Chernobyl except the writers, who are probably very used to taking flack by now.

However, there is one nagging thought that keeps occuring to me. I'm sure she was probably shocked the first time someone brought it up but I wonder what her reaction was later. If I were in her shoes, I would have gone and watched the ep the first time I was bombarded with questions. I would have wondered what all the fuss was about. Just a thought.

Comment

oops...I'm behind again spent tonight prepping for my trip and watching stargate (of course)...finally making headway on converting dad! btw, where is ship daddy?
                                and my vote for background music (Nora Jones as Stargatebarbie requested) is 'Come Away with Me'
                                well, hi to all the newbies and everyone else, will catch up tomorrow

and of course, gotta do my dance (the real reason I popped on even though I should be asleep
                                <dancing and chanting in my ceremonial BDUs> Screw the regs! DOWN with Pit! Sam and Jack FOREVER!

"I think that, to some degree, all of us are fractured souls. Cut in half. And we wander through life looking for the rest of ourselves. And sometimes we're fortunate enough to meet someone who possesses, in themselves, the part of ourselves that we've been missing. We may not realize it on a conscious level, but definitely on a subconscious level. We see in someone else... something of ourselves. Thats why sometimes you meet someone and you just immediately feel comfortable with them. You feel like you've known them all your life. The reason is that they're a part of you, and you're a part of them. You're soul mates. you... fit. And once you've fit together, nothing can pull you apart unless you let go."
                                ~Imzadi
                                describes Sam and Jack pretty well to me!

<dancing and chanting in my ceremonial BDUs>
                                Screw the regs! DOWN with ! He's no threat to O'Neill! Sam and Jack FOREVER!

Comment

Working...
                                X