This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Isis
    Hi everyone This is the fist time I have posted a message. I am one of those who enjoys reading your post and I would like to say how much it makes me feel better about jack and Sam ship.

<snippage>

Thank you
    Isis

Welcome, Isis! Have a shipper cookie.

Sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar
      Tasha...don't even worry....if TPTB are not planning on getting the two of them together eventually it will become clear to us and then what do you think will happen?
      Me personally, well I have an emotional investment in the show as well as an entertainment factor. I love the show because I am a fan of good Sci-Fi and I think they do a good job. I am emotionally invested because I began to care about these two characters and whether or not they should be together. Once I determined that YES they should, my investment was made.
      So if TPTB decide to STOP all of of sudden and do a 180 on the S&J and go in a new direction, double . I will probably have to take a break and re-group. I will never say cancel the show or anything that drastic but I will have a sense that I *wish* I had never made the choice to emotionally invest myself.
      I have walked away from many shows I have enjoyed for just that reason TPTB tried to drag it out for the $$$ and lost me as a viewer. As one person I am nothing to them, but it makes it easier next time to not get hooked on the next show.
      I have stayed out of a lot of discussions because I usually try to stay on an even keel that *this is a TV show* and it shouldn't matter either way. But I finally realized it does to me, this was a show I have invested in emotionally. I have invested my time on many nights watching the Sci-Fi channel. My money purchasing DVDs and my time enjoying the interaction of other Fans. all firsts for me. So I think this time it will hit a bit closer to home if TPTB yank our chains one time to many.

Tame
      Tame, I am SOOOOO with you here (though I'm sure that's not a surprise). I think this is the first TV show I've become emotionally invested in. While I watched Friends with hubs, the investment was his more than mine so I enjoyed it. I got invested in x-files but it was easier because I missed eps (several I am now discovering) so I didn't catch the shippiness of it until post season 5. So I don't think I was AS invested as I am in THIS show.

This is the first online community I've ever joined so I think that has deepened the investment. I mean, hey, I make videos, I read fanfic, etc. how much more invested can I get? (without becoming crazy stalker chick). So I'm with you--I will be TERRIBLY disappointed if PTB are yanking our chains just to keep us hanging on.

I mentioned Friends before but I think the Ross and Rachel thing is different--just when I was drifting they did something toward ending up together (accidental wedding in Vegas, having Emma) and somehow it bonded them together all the more. I wish we could have something like that with Jack and Sam. A REAL discussion--at least Ross and Rachel TALKED sometimes. A kiss. Agree to wait but be exclusive (no dating others to try to find someone "better"--because we all know he isn't). If they love each other as much as they seem to, just get it out in the open FCOL!! No more playing around with stupid boyfriends! If they actually had the conversation I think things could only change for the better because it wouldn't be so awkward!

I'm tired of Sam's "confusion"! I think I hate her "confusion" (read "hang ups") more than BCM hates the BWC (dare I even mention the word)! I'm tired of her being so hung up! Never has any one character in television been more confused--not even Rachel FCOL!

Okay, I think I'm done now--pass those cookies shipnana!
      Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
      Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
      Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Comment

Tasha...don't even worry....if TPTB are not planning on getting the two of them together eventually it will become clear to us and then what do you think will happen?
        Me personally, well I have an emotional investment in the show as well as an entertainment factor. I love the show because I am a fan of good Sci-Fi and I think they do a good job. I am emotionally invested because I began to care about these two characters and whether or not they should be together. Once I determined that YES they should, my investment was made.
        So if TPTB decide to STOP all of of sudden and do a 180 on the S&J and go in a new direction, double . I will probably have to take a break and re-group. I will never say cancel the show or anything that drastic but I will have a sense that I *wish* I had never made the choice to emotionally invest myself.
        I have walked away from many shows I have enjoyed for just that reason TPTB tried to drag it out for the $$$ and lost me as a viewer. As one person I am nothing to them, but it makes it easier next time to not get hooked on the next show.
        I have stayed out of a lot of discussions because I usually try to stay on an even keel that *this is a TV show* and it shouldn't matter either way. But I finally realized it does to me, this was a show I have invested in emotionally. I have invested my time on many nights watching the Sci-Fi channel. My money purchasing DVDs and my time enjoying the interaction of other Fans. all firsts for me. So I think this time it will hit a bit closer to home if TPTB yank our chains one time to many.

Tame
        Tame-I know exactly where you're coming from. This is the first show where I have become emotionally vested. Usually, I distance myself and take the *this is a TV show* attitude, but Stargate has always been special to me. I think it's the combination of sci-fi "realism" and the portrayal of the characters that endear the show to me. I am extremely fond of ALL the characters and want them to be happy and satisfied with their choices and lives by the end of the series. For me, caring for someone and having someone care about you are very important aspects of personal satisfaction.
        I don't want the show to focus on everyone's love lives, but I do want each character to have found closure with some aspect of their lives that has always troubled them...for all the main characters, I believe this deals with their interactions in relationships. Since I believe so strongly in the feelings Sam and Jack have for each other, the resolution to their dilemma is really important to me...even if it is "only a TV show."
        Tasha
        JSDT's Sam and Jack Support Site

Thank you, Nikkirose!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
          I think it 'could' work that Sam's involved with Jack off screen. I think it would satisfy a lot of ppl too. Think of it; if Sam's involved with Jack off screen, the anti-shippers wouldn't have to suffer through Sam/Jack ship scenes. The show would revolve around missions and such, without going into Sam's personal life as much as they have/will with PS. The shippers will be happy, basically, because we'll KNOW Sam and Jack are together, whether we're seeing it or not. And I could imagine RDA coming back for a guest spot or two. If that happened, I'd imagine the writers would make sure that Jack had good scenes with 'all' his friends, not just his girlfriend. It is workable, but ONLY if the writers wanted to do it. If Amanda wants some focus on her personal life, she can have talks with Daniel, Teal'c, or Cassie about it. Hey, Cassie's a good personal life issue to deal with! It's all doable.

Sally
          Thank you Sally! I think you're on to something there! I think it would make a lot more people a lot less frustrated!

Comment

<snip> and the ship still could have progressed naturally and we wouldn't all be sitting here now feeling this great urge to rip large chunks of hair out!!

LOL! Oh, how true!

Sally, who's... bald
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by marimba26
              Tame, I am SOOOOO with you here (though I'm sure that's not a surprise). I think this is the first TV show I've become emotionally invested in. While I watched Friends with hubs, the investment was his more than mine so I enjoyed it. I got invested in x-files but it was easier because I missed eps (several I am now discovering) so I didn't catch the shippiness of it until post season 5. So I don't think I was AS invested as I am in THIS show.

This is the first online community I've ever joined so I think that has deepened the investment. I mean, hey, I make videos, I read fanfic, etc. how much more invested can I get? (without becoming crazy stalker chick). So I'm with you--I will be TERRIBLY disappointed if PTB are yanking our chains just to keep us hanging on.
              Me too, Marimba! I had never actively sought out information about a show before until this one. Looking up info led me to forums which led me to fanfic which led me to watching videos which led me to being a crazy stalker chick... Okay...not really...
              Tasha

Thank you, Nikkirose!

Comment

Originally posted by Marimba
                I'm tired of Sam's "confusion"! I think I hate her "confusion" (read "hang ups") more than BCM hates the BWC (dare I even mention the word)! I'm tired of her being so hung up! Never has any one character in television been more confused--not even Rachel FCOL!
                And I am SOOOOOOOO with you here (again no surprise to you either)
                Originally posted by Marimba
                And I WATCH all those videos (save them even) read fanfic as you said this is the first online community I too have ever joined....
                Originally posted by Tasha
                but Stargate has always been special to me. I think it's the combination of sci-fi "realism" and the portrayal of the characters that endear the show to me. I am extremely fond of ALL the characters and want them to be happy and satisfied with their choices and lives by the end of the series. For me, caring for someone and having someone care about you are very important aspects of personal satisfaction.
                I don't want the show to focus on everyone's love lives, but I do want each character to have found closure with some aspect of their lives that has always troubled them...for all the main characters, I believe this deals with their interactions in relationships. Since I believe so strongly in the feelings Sam and Jack have for each other, the resolution to their dilemma is really important to me...even if it is "only a TV show."
                Tasha I think you said even better than I did.

I think I will take a lesson from Marimba and get me a handful of Ship Nana's cookies......
                Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by bcmilco
                  However I would like to think that the they could have a normal healthy relationship as a backdrop to the action/adventure/drama on the show, and make it work, without having to create new tensions in the couple (ie breaking them up ).

Yes! And there doesn't 'always' have to be tension either!

Writer for Stargate #1 (ws1): "Okay, we've married them off, now what?"

Writer for Stargate #2 (ws2): "Uh, they live happily ever after?"

ws1: "Are you daft, man, we HAVE to have tension in the relationship or the viewers will get bored!"

ws2: "Oh, okay.... how about Sam gets a serious disease and almost dies?"

ws1: "Okay. Then what?"

ws2: "Uh, then Jack gets a serious disease and almost dies."

ws1: "Then what?"

ws2: *frowns* "Uh, another man is attracted to Sam and it makes Jack jealous."

ws1: "Then... "

ws2: "Then another woman is attracted to Jack and makes Sam jealous."

ws1: "I see a pattern here."

ws2: "The viewers won't."

ws1: "You're right."

ws2: "So then I'm thinking of having Jack get pregnant by an alien."

ws1: "Too far-fetched."

ws2: "So."

ws1: "True."

ws2: "Then, of course, Sam becomes pregnant by an alien, or so Sam and Jack will think."

ws1: *nods and grins*

ws2: "Then Sam will give birth and the alien will make Jack jealous while Sam almost dies."

ws1: "Wow, you got all our themes in there at once!"

ws2: "And the beauty of it is that the viewers will never catch on."

ws1: *nods*

K, done teasing at the writers expense.

Sally
                  Last edited by majorsal; 15 May 2004, 09:07 PM. Reason: the spelling bee stung me
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Feeling snarky tonight, eh Sal? Me too! Fits the mood I think! It's getting a bit ridiculous this whole Ptui thing!

Comment

All that's left is Felger and hopefully his lab assistant is keeping him busy!
                      Look, at this point in time, even Felger's looking better than PS!

Sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

LOL--me too! It's so easy sometimes to ascribe fanfic experiences to the characters! I love that fanfic!

I also think fanfic raises 'our' expectations on what we want to see on the show and characters. That's part of the reason why the S/P ship was so hard to take... because it was the stuff of fanfiction dreams.

Sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Look, at this point in time, even Felger's looking better than PS!

Sally
                          Ooooh, we ARE feeling snarky tonight! Can't say I blame you though. You know you're frustrated when creepy guys like Felger appeal (that Ken and Barbie thing was creepy--funny, but creepy). What is it about Sam that she just can't be with a good guy like Jack--must be going through that "I hate myself so I have to date a man who's a jerk" phase!

Comment

Originally posted by Buc252
                            I think it could be done, though, just that way. We don't need to see Sam and Jack in bed to know they're together, and all it would mean to the regular science-fiction storyline is that they might openly show a bit more caring when one or the other is in trouble, and they might go to the same tent/house (off world or on) at night than different ones. Do they really think that it needs to be *all* about Samandjack for there to be a resolved relationship?

I totally agree, Mary. We, as shippers, see it as doable because we've worked it out in our minds and fics so much, so why can't the writers? Or, why 'won't' the writers?

Sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JSDT
                              I received my Stargate books I had ordered in the mail and, even though they were written a couple of years ago, the attitude of the actors about the Sam and Jack relationship was really disheartening.

Are you talking about the stupid season 3/4 illistrated companion book? If so, I know.

I'll tell you, if I ever become an actor and end up on a show, I'll keep my mouth shut about my feelings on things, just in case my opinion isn't shared! I'm really tired of hearing so-and-so's opinion on ship and such. Like you didn't know what you were getting into when you joined the bloody show!

K, I need to calm down. Seriously. I'm just sick of actors ruining things by telling me.... forget it. Sorry for bringing everyone down.

Have a shipper cookie!

Sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Are you talking about the stupid season 3/4 illistrated companion book? If so, I know.

I'll tell you, if I ever become an actor and end up on a show, I'll keep my mouth shut about my feelings on things, just in case my opinion isn't shared! I'm really tired of hearing so-and-so's opinion on ship and such. Like you didn't know what you were getting into when you joined the bloody show!

K, I need to calm down. Seriously. I'm just sick of actors ruining things by telling me.... forget it. Sorry for bringing everyone down.

Have a shipper cookie!

Sally
                                That's okay, Sally! I've managed to snap myself out of my funk with the help of everyone here. I just had to get over the initial shock, but that book was written many years ago...years and years ago (really!)...and I've been told opinions have changed. But thank you for the cookies...a daily dose of shipper cookies always helps keep the spirit up!
                                Tasha

Thank you, Nikkirose!

Comment

Working...
                                X