X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jerry Goldsmith has passed away...

http://fredericksburg.cox.net/cci/en...e&id=D83VOK0G0

Damn.

(Oh, and it may be somewhat trivial to mention this right now, but this is a Stargate forum after all: His son Joel is the composer for SG-1 and Atlantis in case someone doesn't know...)
    Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

That's sad. He has left us with a legacy of some beautiful and unforgettable music.
    Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
    O'Neill: Who doesn't?
    - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
    - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
    once done, cannot be undone...
    brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
      http://fredericksburg.cox.net/cci/en...e&id=D83VOK0G0

Damn.

(Oh, and it may be somewhat trivial to mention this right now, but this is a Stargate forum after all: His son Joel is the composer for SG-1 and Atlantis in case someone doesn't know...)

Oh, sad news.

I've been a big, big Jerry Goldsmith fan for over 40 years -- his film scores of "The Wind and The Lion" and "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" and "The 13th Warrior" and "Patton" -- and so many, many more, are all so magnificent.

I own many, many soundtrack cd's that are Jerry Goldsmith's. Heck, I've even suffered through some movies I had no interest in watching, just to hear Jerry's music!

Oh, he'll be missed.

Darn.

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
      SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
      Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Has anyone ever seen the movie Legend, starring <ahem> Tom Cruise (before he became über-stud-star ) and Tim Curry? In the U.S., it was released with a score composed by Tangerine Dream, but the original score was done by Jerry Goldsmith (if you remember the 80s, this almost makes sense). The Goldsmith score was only heard in Europe until the DVD release.

I liked the movie when it came out and bought the DVD. The Goldsmith score is fantastic and completely changes the tone of the movie to a much darker, serious feel than the fantastical Tangerine Dream score. It's one of my favorite Goldsmith works and a beautiful example of how music can change the presence of what's on the screen.

Thinking about his passing automatically made me think of Legend. He will be missed...
        Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
        O'Neill: Who doesn't?
        - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
        - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
        once done, cannot be undone...
        brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

He might have passed away but with most great composers their music usually lives on for a long time. Just look at Mozart and Beethoven that music will be around for many years yet.
          Lt. Ford to Dr Zelenka: "Is this some sort of payback for me beating up guys like you in high school?"
          - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Hot Zone

Dr. Beckett: "...Mom...I miss you terribly...*breaks down*...I can't do this!"
          - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Letters from Pegasus

Sen. Kinsey: "Do you trust this man?"
          Col. Jack O'Neill: "...No..."
          Mayboune: *shrugs*
          - Stargate SG-1 - Chain Reaction

Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis I love science fiction

Comment

Thanks for the link,U.P.
            A very interesting article, about an extremely talented composer .
            I really enjoyed his music,and always will.
            To echo other Posters' feelings,he will indeed be missed.
            The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Comment

SciFi owes ALOT to Jerry Goldsmith: THe Twilight Zone, Planet of the Apes, Star Trek (especially his memorable Klingon theme), Alien, The Omen (for which he won an Oscar), and far to0 many to name here.

A true genius, and a great talent.

Comment

Working...
                X