PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Goldsmith has passed away...

Ugly Pig
July 22nd, 2004, 08:33 AM
http://fredericksburg.cox.net/cci/entertainmentnews/national?_mode=view&_state=maximized&view=article&id=D83VOK0G0

Damn. :(

(Oh, and it may be somewhat trivial to mention this right now, but this is a Stargate forum after all: His son Joel is the composer for SG-1 and Atlantis in case someone doesn't know...)

Anthro Girl
July 22nd, 2004, 09:33 AM
That's sad. :( He has left us with a legacy of some beautiful and unforgettable music.

morjana
July 22nd, 2004, 09:54 AM
http://fredericksburg.cox.net/cci/entertainmentnews/national?_mode=view&_state=maximized&view=article&id=D83VOK0G0

Damn. :(

(Oh, and it may be somewhat trivial to mention this right now, but this is a Stargate forum after all: His son Joel is the composer for SG-1 and Atlantis in case someone doesn't know...)

Oh, sad news.

I've been a big, big Jerry Goldsmith fan for over 40 years -- his film scores of "The Wind and The Lion" and "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" and "The 13th Warrior" and "Patton" -- and so many, many more, are all so magnificent.

I own many, many soundtrack cd's that are Jerry Goldsmith's. Heck, I've even suffered through some movies I had no interest in watching, just to hear Jerry's music!

Oh, he'll be missed.

Darn.

Morjana

Anthro Girl
July 22nd, 2004, 10:11 AM
Has anyone ever seen the movie Legend, starring <ahem> Tom Cruise (before he became ├╝ber-stud-star :confused: ) and Tim Curry? In the U.S., it was released with a score composed by Tangerine Dream, but the original score was done by Jerry Goldsmith (if you remember the 80s, this almost makes sense). The Goldsmith score was only heard in Europe until the DVD release.

I liked the movie when it came out and bought the DVD. The Goldsmith score is fantastic and completely changes the tone of the movie to a much darker, serious feel than the fantastical Tangerine Dream score. It's one of my favorite Goldsmith works and a beautiful example of how music can change the presence of what's on the screen.

Thinking about his passing automatically made me think of Legend. He will be missed... :(

Stargate Agent
July 22nd, 2004, 11:51 AM
He might have passed away but with most great composers their music usually lives on for a long time. Just look at Mozart and Beethoven that music will be around for many years yet.

Bagpuss
July 22nd, 2004, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the link,U.P.
A very interesting article, about an extremely talented composer .
I really enjoyed his music,and always will.
To echo other Posters' feelings,he will indeed be missed. :(

D.C.
July 22nd, 2004, 02:17 PM
:(

deezlwex
July 22nd, 2004, 04:28 PM
SciFi owes ALOT to Jerry Goldsmith: THe Twilight Zone, Planet of the Apes, Star Trek (especially his memorable Klingon theme), Alien, The Omen (for which he won an Oscar), and far to0 many to name here.

A true genius, and a great talent.