This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Railguns

I was wonderning why the railgun in Stargate are alway , just close defence wepons , why cound the build ones that fire shots about a kilogram or biger the may not be able to go throught a sheild but it would give the wrath a pretty big headache ...

Originally posted by Hoplite
    I was wonderning why the railgun in Stargate are alway , just close defence wepons , why cound the build ones that fire shots about a kilogram or biger the may not be able to go throught a sheild but it would give the wrath a pretty big headache ...
    Who says they're close defence? When you launch an object in space it will keep moving until it's stopped by another force. That's why astronauts are tethered to the shuttle. Technically all the bullets that didn't hit something are still travelling through space....

Plus, logically, they have to store the ammunition. If you double the size of the ammo you halve the amount you can store. Larger also doesn't always mean more powerful.

Now that would be an interesting episode. Find the planet that got hit by all the missed railgun ammo
    First, please use spoiler tags. If I want to know what happens in the show I'll watch it. Second, if you don't like the show, stop watching it. That way you won't feel the need to complain that a sci-fi entertainment show has "plot holes" or "isn't realistic". There is a difference between commenting on an episode you didn't like and constantly complaining about the series as a whole. After all, why torture yourself by watching something you don't like...

Comment

Originally posted by Endeavour
      Now that would be an interesting episode. Find the planet that got hit by all the missed railgun ammo
      LOL !!

Hallowed are the fans of Stargate!

Comment

Because unlike missiles railguns, and coilguns etc, work only with kinetic energie.
        That same energie that affects the target has to be created first in the ship that fires the guns.

And the deadalus class ships do have 3 larger guns, it was however so far not stated what they have for stats, just "fire main railguns" type of stuff.

Comment

Who says they're close defence? When you launch an object in space it will keep moving until it's stopped by another force. That's why astronauts are tethered to the shuttle. Technically all the bullets that didn't hit something are still travelling through space....

Plus, logically, they have to store the ammunition. If you double the size of the ammo you halve the amount you can store. Larger also doesn't always mean more powerful.

bout the ep, I can see it now, the team come through the gate and get bombarded with bullets, they quickly dial the gate and get back to Atlantis as soon as possible thinkin it was the Wraith . Maybe we have destroyed a few hive ships in the process without even knowing it

Youre spot on about the weapon size, it wouldnt make sense to have bigger bullets, the ones we have do nothing, wed just be destroyin darts with bigger bullets

Comment

Originally posted by Auralis
            And the deadalus class ships do have 3 larger guns, it was however so far not stated what they have for stats, just "fire main railguns" type of stuff.
            if you watch the hive:
            Spoiler:
            when the deadalus starts attacking the hive ships you can clearly see that there are four equal rails guns opening up on the hives, and thats just from the forward positions. just thought id mension lol

"But the core of science fiction, is essance has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all..."

Dont let our show die.

Comment

The problem with Railguns against missles is that there is no way to correct a projectile in-flight, so it has to be aimed very carefully, especially when you consider the distances usually involved in a space fight.
              sigpic
              http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBaron
                LOL !!

no they'll just burn up in the atmosphere

Comment

The bullets from the rail guns will not fall lower in space cuz there is no gravity so they'll just keep goin straight unlike a bullet fired on Earth

Comment

Originally posted by RobJones
                    if you watch the hive:
                    Spoiler:
                    when the deadalus starts attacking the hive ships you can clearly see that there are four equal rails guns opening up on the hives, and thats just from the forward positions. just thought id mension lol
                    Then shouldn't Caldwell be positioning the Daedalus to approach at a diagonal toward an enemy (playing a lot of SFC can make you think like this.)
                    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                    The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                    I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                    A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                    That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                    Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                    Caboose: They could be worse?
                    Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

SFC? wots that?

Comment

Originally posted by WraithWarrior
                        SFC? wots that?
                        Star Trek: Starfleet Command II I haven't gotten SFC III but that's far from number one on my gaming priority list.
                        Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                        The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                        I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                        A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                        That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                        Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                        Caboose: They could be worse?
                        Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

i say we get better wepons
                          "I'm still trying to understand, how you thought it was a good idea to test this device by having someone throw you off a balcony."
                          "Oh, believe me that's not the first thing we tried."
                          "I shot him. In the leg."
                          "I'm invulnerable."
                          "Aren't you the one who's always spouting off about how proper and careful scientific procedure must be adhered to?"
                          "In-vul-ner-able!"

Comment

yes is do`s bigger bullets at the same speed als smal ones means more KE
                            Last edited by kefke20; 14 February 2006, 09:55 AM.
                            sorry cant spell

Comment

Originally posted by kefke20
                              je the doe lager bullets wit the samme speed means more ke

Comment

Working...
                              X