Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Gate System as a defensive network

a) Communication travels both way through the gate
    b) Drones can be piloted to their targets.

It seems like the gate system could be used to protect gated worlds one at a time from enemy attacks without ever sending a ship to that world. Maybe that's the reason why the Ancients created drones in the first place? They needed a weapon that could be used in conjuction with the stargates.

Originally posted by DetriusXii
    a) Communication travels both way through the gate
    b) Drones can be piloted to their targets.

It seems like the gate system could be used to protect gated worlds one at a time from enemy attacks without ever sending a ship to that world. Maybe that's the reason why the Ancients created drones in the first place? They needed a weapon that could be used in conjuction with the stargates.
    A good idea, all they would need is some way to target them but if earth can target enermies through the gate im sure it would be easy for the ancients. Also if you upgrade the drones with a phaseshift device simular to the tollan's they would beable to go through any iris on the other side.
    Last edited by Gate Master; 09 February 2006, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Hey, do we know if the drones transmit information back to the firer? If they do give feedback, then I think your idea would work.
      Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
      The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
      I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
      A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
      That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
      Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
      Caboose: They could be worse?
      Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

That is untill the enemy adapts to this and dials in to that specific gate right before the seige preventing any connection to other gates. It's a great defense and a great offense, keeps the enemy stranded and keeps others from coming to their aid.

Uber Hax does Stargate (YTMND)

Comment

It would be a good defense, but unnecesary in my opinion, from episode such as "Rising" it appears that only part of the drones activity is controlled by the chair, most is automated. The drones could be programmed to seek out a specific DNA, and of course they could be deactivated with the right code. But I don't see why they would need to be controlled at all. We set land mines out on minefields during war, but we don't watch them and blow them up as someone walks over them, they do that themselves.

Comment

It would be easy to prevent this (I don't know why they haven't done it already). In the SG-1 S9 episode where
            Spoiler:
            they find the world with the guy that Anubis "created", the one with the stargate that only let non-organic matter through
            (yes, I suck with episode names) they already demonstrated it's possible to control what passes through the gate.

So, simply prevent any inorganic matter from travelling through if it's not accompanied by organic matter (ie: person + clothes is fine, missile is not).
            First, please use spoiler tags. If I want to know what happens in the show I'll watch it. Second, if you don't like the show, stop watching it. That way you won't feel the need to complain that a sci-fi entertainment show has "plot holes" or "isn't realistic". There is a difference between commenting on an episode you didn't like and constantly complaining about the series as a whole. After all, why torture yourself by watching something you don't like...

Comment

Also Earth is only capable of sending missiles through the gate if there is something like a M.A.L.P or U.A.V on the otherside.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Also Earth is only capable of sending missiles through the gate if there is something like a M.A.L.P or U.A.V on the otherside.

The missiles they're using use a UAV in order to target the missiles. It's easier to do that than to send the missile through, then try to target it before it's shot down or run out of fuel. That doesn't mean they couldn't do that if necessary. I dont understand why they don't use the missiles more, or just lob a few grenades through the gate, when they're heading to a planet with Jaffa near the gate.
                "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

they lobed grenades in icon

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

stargate atlantis season4 harmony

the mini-drones seeked out anyone who didnt have the ancient gene, i guess you could programme or tell a full size drone to do the same
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ItsDan View Post

The missiles they're using use a UAV in order to target the missiles. It's easier to do that than to send the missile through, then try to target it before it's shot down or run out of fuel. That doesn't mean they couldn't do that if necessary. I dont understand why they don't use the missiles more, or just lob a few grenades through the gate, when they're heading to a planet with Jaffa near the gate.
                      they do lob nades but theyre just flashbangs, like in icon, besides, wouldnt want to damage the dhd would you?
                      *Turn in your P-90 for a MP7; the standard issue weapon for any SG Team*

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Endeavour View Post
                        It would be easy to prevent this (I don't know why they haven't done it already). In the SG-1 S9 episode where
                        Spoiler:
                        they find the world with the guy that Anubis "created", the one with the stargate that only let non-organic matter through
                        (yes, I suck with episode names) they already demonstrated it's possible to control what passes through the gate.

So, simply prevent any inorganic matter from travelling through if it's not accompanied by organic matter (ie: person + clothes is fine, missile is not).
                        Actually inorganic material is allowed through normally, their first MALP arrived on the target world as planned. However if organic material or organic and inorganic material travel to the planet one must send a code first to deactivate a device which sends them to another planet. It is just the opposite you descibed, because a malp with some bacteria were send to another planet and the one with bacteria arrived as planned.

Comment

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori View Post
                          Because the missiles Earth used were laser-guided. The targets needed to be lasered. However, if you put a camera on the missile for visual guidance (and such missiled do exist, I think), you can steer it from beyond the gate, since radio waves get through.

Of course, there's no reason why the Ancients couldn't have used a UAV-like device or a cloaked Puddle Jumper as a target pointer.
                          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

ofcourse its defensive. imagine.

"earth is under attack" .

* gate activates, group of jumpers exit*

* beam weapon comes through, firing big beam at enemy ship*

Comment

Working...
                            X