inside the inner ring...?

one more question.. Sorry for overloading this thread with
    questions... but...
    How come Ancients build BOTH Atlantis and DHD, they have
    different control crystals? Technology in Atlantis use blue lit
    square-ish crystals whereas the DHD uses RED hexagon or octagon
    crystal?

Originally posted by wowser147
    It's known that DHD powers and dials gates, but what powers DHDs? Are they powered by (spoiler) geothermal energy like in Atlantis Inferno?
    I'm not entirely sure, but my vote would be for some sort of internal (unremovable) ZPM-based energy source. And since the gate is a powerful superconductor, perhaps it has some ability to (slowly) recharge itself. But that's just my speculation, and I could be completely wrong....I'd like the know the real answer if it's out there.

The earth's Iris closes and openes in swirly circular motion. That must mean it's powered by some kind of motor, right? Where is it? and where IS the iris hidden inside the inner ring...?
    I'm sure it's connected to the same systems that power the rest of the SGC. The iris "slices" (which are very thin -- but strong) are layered just behind the chevron ring, and just in front of the event horizon. There's not a whole lot of room there, but they figured out how to make it work. (Perhaps the Ancients even anticipated that the need for a physical iris might arise in the future, and simply left a little space there just in case.)

How come Ancients build BOTH Atlantis and DHD, they have different control crystals? Technology in Atlantis use blue lit square-ish crystals whereas the DHD uses RED hexagon or octagon crystal?
    Same reason the gates look different....because that's just the way they were built. Maybe it's because the Ancients decided to make some slight improvements/alterations to the original design, or maybe it's just because they wanted a different design for a different galaxy....or maybe a combination of the two. But it doesn't really matter....the technology works just the same, regardless of what color they decided to make it.
    There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Cold fusion(The Fifth Race)

Comment

http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
        http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

lol

Comment

are ya nuts? those things can barely power a rc car

Comment

Originally posted by NakedJehutyV2
              are ya nuts? those things can barely power a rc car
              No, that powers the DHD. The Gate itself draws power from this:
              http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
              http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

cheese burgers

Comment

I remember an episode in the first two seasons explaining the DHD was powered via solar energy. It stores light into a buffer located inside the DHD.

Since SGC doesn't have a DHD, it's powered via electricity like pos/neg jumper cables to a car battery.

There were several episodes where I remember seeing terminal ends (red box like thing(?)) connected to the gate to power it up (much like wrapping cable around the ring for the cold fusion example).

Comment

Mr. Fusion
                    "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Cold fusion for the gate at least, im almost 100% sure its the same for the DHD.
                      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples_General
                        The Gate itself draws power from this:
                        lmao, that gets green
                        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                        - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I did include this in the power for PJ thread but there's no reason it wouldn't work here. We know naquada can absorb energy in numerous forms including large gravity wells such as black holes. So its possible the ancients created a source of power that taps in to a planets gravity well giving almost perpetual power for them as long as the power cells last for. Which from SG1 some DHD's have been around for fifty million years.
                          Obviously DHD's on ships would deplete alot faster with out a large gravity field like a planet nearby to recharge them but its only speculation

Comment

Damn it... people have already made a mockery of this thread!

I'm only left with answering this seriously, then.

Uh.... I would guess that the DHD uses some sort of battery (since in Season 6's "Frozen" Sam said the DHD found with the Beta Gate lost power soon after its discovery). Possibly a ZPM or ZPM-like device.

Ultimately it doesn't matter, because to remove the DHD power source is to effectively take a perfectly viable gate offline.

Comment

But how can a PJ dial a gate, and then go through it? Sure the gate stores some of the energy, but how do they transfer the power to the gate from the PJ? And the DHD are probably powerd by some sort of ZPM-like battery.

Comment

Working...
                              X