This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need good ZPE explination

I'm doing a presentation of Zero Point Energy for an advanced grade 12-level physics class. I was thinking of showing a clip from Stargate as an intro to the presentation. Anyone know of an episode with a good explination of ZPE?

If you're doing a presentation about REAL ZPE then stay away from stargate

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
      If you're doing a presentation about REAL ZPE then stay away from stargate
      ROFL

Best Stargate quote:
      Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
      Green is your friend.

Comment

regardless of how factual it is, it's always good to bring fun stuff into a very complicated topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Laros
          I'm doing a presentation of Zero Point Energy for an advanced grade 12-level physics class. I was thinking of showing a clip from Stargate as an intro to the presentation. Anyone know of an episode with a good explination of ZPE?
          http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s2/206.shtml Probably the episode that goes into some detail.

It's a universe (not ours) trapped in a bottle in sub space in basic terms.
          Heres something from the omnipedia:
          A Z.P.M. derives its enormous power from vacuum energy, derived from a self-contained region of subspace time, and has a potential life of many millions of years.

Good luck with your work.
          Support Stargate and Stargate Atlantis to be made avalaible via i-tunes, write your support on this thread and vote in the poll to get Sony to put the show on i-tunes.
          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=23944

Comment

If you want an F go ahead and use the word subspace

If you have to take something, take the part from Rising, part 1 where McKay explains the ZPM for O'Neill and Jackson.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
              If you want an F go ahead and use the word subspace
              That's just like my MacGyver project for Chemistry! lol

anyway, i would probably use one of the clips from Trinity

Comment

Thanks. I'll take another look at those eps. In case you're wondering, the class isn't actually for marks. We're all a few dozen IQ points higher than the rest of the school in that class, so I'm sure my fellow class mates will appreciate the attempt to spruce up the pages upon pages of formulas and such.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-point_energy

maybe worth a read and might be helpful
                  https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Simply put, Zero Point Energy is the lowest possible energy level for any system.
                    Since energy is an additive quantity, and only difference in energy levels tells us how a system will behave, the absolute value of zero point energy is irrelevent. The absolute value of the zero point energy in any system does not change the property of any system. Only the difference in energy level matters.
                    "Thermodynamics is the only physical theory of universal content which, within the framework of the applicability of its basic concepts, I am convinced will never be overthrown." — Albert Einstein

Comment

The fact that there is ZPE is important. The ZPE of electrons in an atom means that they don't fall into the nucleus. That means that atoms are stable! Which is the basis of all of chemistry and early quantum mechanics (why do you think it was named "quantum" in the first place)...

Comment

Originally posted by Lord You
                        The fact that there is ZPE is important. The ZPE of electrons in an atom means that they don't fall into the nucleus. That means that atoms are stable! Which is the basis of all of chemistry and early quantum mechanics (why do you think it was named "quantum" in the first place)...
                        Electrons do not fall into the nucleus because there will be a highly repulsive free energy (figuratively speaking, of which the detail is provided by quantum mechanics) when the electrons get too close to the nucleus. That means if electrons had fallen onto the nucleus, the atom will go onto a much higher energy level.

While the physical meaning is not the same, the energy schematics is not unlike the Lennard-Jones potential of a diatomic molecule, i.e. there is a most favable distance. When you get farther, the energy level increases. When you get closer, the energy level increases as well. The lowest energy is to have them stay at where they are.

Now you can shift that entire curve up and down, thus shifting the so-called "zero point energy," but that does not change any physical result, i.e. the most favorable distance will stay the same.
                        Last edited by lethalfang; 08 February 2006, 04:03 PM.
                        "Thermodynamics is the only physical theory of universal content which, within the framework of the applicability of its basic concepts, I am convinced will never be overthrown." — Albert Einstein

Comment

Ergh lol

Comment

*scratches head*.... "guh..."

"But the core of science fiction, is essance has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all..."

Dont let our show die.

Comment

http://www.nuenergy.org/alt/zeropoint.htm

Now in use. pps is at 4,929 Terawatts
                              pps = power per second
                              The power that power's the great cities of the Ancients.
                              xfire = zpm
                              [m2k] klan, and forever will be.
                              http://m2kclan.com
                              vent info: voice250.hurricanehost.com
                              port: 3785
                              P90>M4A1+AK47+Machine Gun
                              halo player and cs:s, cs:1.6, cz, cod2.
                              Save Stargate NOW!!!- http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Stargate/

Comment

Working...
                              X