This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would happen if...

So I'm watching 38 minutes, and I'm at the part where Mckay explains to Ford and Teyla that they can't reach in to grab the two pilots because their arms would dematerialize as soon as they crossed the event horizon. This got me thinking. What if you bent over, and stuck your head through the gate? would your body collapse and lie halfway in the open wormhole until someone helped you out or the gate shut down? Also, why wouldn't the blood in your veins pump into the gate seperatly?

This is probably the only annoyance about the show that really sets my teeth on edge. There are a number of times people have placed a hand inside and it always comes out. Once, O'neill put his hand into an active "incoming" gate and didn't loose it. My guess is that the writers see the actual event horizon as being some distance beyond the surface of the puddle. Or, perhaps it's the "waiting for the whole thing" that they mention that allows the hand to come back out. Perhaps the mass is not converted to energy until the gate believes the entire mass has crossed the event horizon.

Comment

^ With that EG you used, O'Neill never took his hand out, technically, he never quite left the wormhole.

Although, this is one of the only logical conclusions I can reach, otherwise,
      *Plothole, please avoid!*

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

The puddle is a 1 dimensional plane that converts matter into energy so it can survive the trip through the wormhole without being torn apat by tidal forces. When you put your hand it it is converted into a 1 dimensional version of your hand untill your entire mass is inside this 1 dimensional plane, once thaat happens your body is converted into energy and sent to the other side.

Comment

In the second episode of SG-1: "The Enemy Within," the Goa'uld-infected Kowalski and Teal'c wrestle just inches from the event horizon in the show's climax. Teal'c and Kowalski continually plunge in and out of the event horizon. Eventually Jack shuts the gate down while the back of Kowalski's head was in the gate, killing him.

And later on, in season 8's "Gemini" Replicator Sam is almost entirely through the Alpha Site's gate when Teal'c grabs her arm. Teal'c tugs on her arm and Replicator Sam's head and upper body come back through to the Alpha Site. She got away by disengaging the kieron blocks on her arm and stepped all the way back through the wormhole.

So "38 Minutes" was the writers either forgetting what they had already established, or forsaking it to serve the story. Again, simple dramatics.

Comment

also, in the movie, when daniel steps through for the first time, you can see him materialized in the "void" between earth and abydos, most likley before he even entered the wormhole itself

Comment

Originally posted by Beal
              So I'm watching 38 minutes, and I'm at the part where Mckay explains to Ford and Teyla that they can't reach in to grab the two pilots because their arms would dematerialize as soon as they crossed the event horizon. This got me thinking. What if you bent over, and stuck your head through the gate? would your body collapse and lie halfway in the open wormhole until someone helped you out or the gate shut down? Also, why wouldn't the blood in your veins pump into the gate seperatly?

If you stuck your head in would you be able to pull it back out?

Comment

If you watch some key moments in the episodes, you will see that the stargate kinda sucks you into it.
                In the movie the MALP is dragged in, and in Fire&Water, the reife was dragged into teh stargate as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper One
                  also, in the movie, when daniel steps through for the first time, you can see him materialized in the "void" between earth and abydos, most likley before he even entered the wormhole itself
                  Yea, in the movie, Daniel actually sticks his face in, and it shows the inside view of the wormhole as it is some underwater scene with his face just sitting there and then suddenly he seems to get sucked into the wormhole. Up untill "38 Minutes", I always thought your whole body must be through the event horizon before the transportation starts.

Uber Hax does Stargate (YTMND)

Comment

the gate will wait until the entire mass is in the gate before sending it to the other gate.

I don't think its explained compleatly in the any episode, but in 48 hours, they make the point that the gate has a memory buffer. in other episodes they make the ponts that.
                    when something enters the gate, the gate will convert it into energy and send it to the other gate. but the gate wont send the energy until the entire object (wether is a person or some inanimate object) is compleatly inside the eventhorizon. once its in the gate, the gate sends it. and the reciving gate will 'build' it in its memory, and then once all the energy and data has ariived, and the event horizion is still open, it will remaeralize it and then push it trough the other end of the gate. and then TADA, youve just traveled. 10 million light years in .03 seconds.
                    Homer: WHEN PIGS FLY!...
                    (a pig was in a cannon, and got shot accross the town, right were homer can see)

Homer: Doh!

Comment

When McKay said that their arms would dematerialize after passing through the event horizon, I believe he just meant that they would begin dematerializing but not actually travel through the wormhole. Their arms would be in a stasis, meaning they wouldn't be able to move them, but they'd have control of the rest of their body, allowing them to pull their arms out.

Comment

Originally posted by TheUnknown
                        When McKay said that their arms would dematerialize after passing through the event horizon, I believe he just meant that they would begin dematerializing but not actually travel through the wormhole. Their arms would be in a stasis, meaning they wouldn't be able to move them, but they'd have control of the rest of their body, allowing them to pull their arms out.
                        And in that case, they would not be able to reach through to the already dematerialized and pull them back through. Good point and probably correct.

Uber Hax does Stargate (YTMND)

Comment

well, what it really is, if they knew the exaclt locatioin of whatever they were looking for, and it was within reach without steping compleatly in, it could be possible, but because the forward section was already in the gate, IF, ( a big IF), you could step in, you wouldn't be able to tell where the controls are. you would be in a "demeterialized" state.

Edited, because i cant spell
                          Last edited by ancientaction; 09 February 2006, 02:49 PM.
                          Homer: WHEN PIGS FLY!...
                          (a pig was in a cannon, and got shot accross the town, right were homer can see)

Homer: Doh!

Comment

They couldn't just stick their hands in and pull him out, they wouldn't find him, he had already been dematerialized.

Comment

I think of the Stargate as a kind of intergalactic packet transfer.

When you send out an e-mail, the computer cuts your e-mail up into a butt load of little packets and sends them out. It won't send the e-mail until all of the packets have been created, and it will not be displayed until all of the packets are recieved.

That's a really simplistic explanation of how the whole damn internet works, but it's a decent enough analogy.

Comment

Working...
                              X