This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ship overexageration

People are, IMO, exagerating the effect that having more Earth built ships will ruin the show. Ships have been a part of SG-1 since the very beginning. Some of the pivital episodes of the series occured on ships. Apophis's attack on Earth. The killing of Heru'ur. The death of Cronus. The first encounter with the Replicators. The destruction of Apophis and his fleet. The Prometheus episodes.

Seeing as
    Spoiler:
    Two of the four known Earth ships, Prometheus and Korolev, are going to be destroyed, having only two isn't much of a fleet.

In season 9, how many episodes involved major useage of ships. Three. Maybe four. Yeah. Ships everywhere. Oh wait. One got blown up.

True, ships were always very pivotal. What annoys me about them is, instead of having recon missions and pants-wetting close quarters action going on them, it's more like Star Trekky captain on deck stuff. I'm all for Earth having their own spacecraft, but this is Stargate. Going through the gate and making an abrupt U-turn to get back through it is our specialty. Leave the tedious "Man the photon torpedos" stuff to DS9 and the like.
    TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
      True, ships were always very pivotal. What annoys me about them is, instead of having recon missions and pants-wetting close quarters action going on them, it's more like Star Trekky captain on deck stuff. I'm all for Earth having their own spacecraft, but this is Stargate. Going through the gate and making an abrupt U-turn to get back through it is our specialty. Leave the tedious "Man the photon torpedos" stuff to DS9 and the like.
      Yeah - increasing amounts of episodes focus on ship or Earth based episodes, as opposed to episodes that involve going throught the gate. I don't object to ships existing - but i'd like them to be off away from Earth so that a ship can't come in to provide a 'quick fix' to a problem.
      I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Originally posted by SG-4MarineLeader
        Seeing as
        Spoiler:
        Two of the four known Earth ships, Prometheus and Korolev, are going to be destroyed, having only two isn't much of a fleet.

In season 9, how many episodes involved major useage of ships. Three. Maybe four. Yeah. Ships everywhere. Oh wait. One got blown up.
        For the spoiler, there is only 1 Earth ship Odyssey that's a new recurring ship.

The writers want to balance it out, that's simply why they haven't given them the best weapons on the ships. If they had them, then there really would be no reason to go through the gate at all any longer.

Atlantis since the beginninbg has been using PJ's, all the time to go through the gate. Daedalus although a little less, has been used much more than than Prometheus ever was for the first few years. Which although I don't want it turning into Star Trek, where everything is ship releated, I like to see Daedalus flying with the team on board myself.

In eps like Coup D'Etat though, having Daedalus there could have ended the episode right away. It ould have used the beaming tech. So that's why it was adjudged to be still in the MW or en route back.

Atlantis needs ships now, because of the Wraith threat. So that's not going to change for the forseeable future. SG-1 as well with the Ori themselves, then arming other planets with their weapons, then the Lucian Alliance & Goa'uld still out there in their ships. Some of which were the Anubis & Replicator enhanced ships. Then ships are also a definitie in Sg-1 now as well.

So as long as they use the ships for heir original intended purpose, to fight other enemy ships or get in & help Sg-1 out & take them home. Then that's fine, Sg-1 can still use the gate, if things go wrong then they can be utilized. I think this will still be the case, he gate will be used primarily, but we'll be seeing more & more ship action as both series progresses.

I would have a problem, with 3/4's of eps, being inside ships & flying around the galaxy. Almost all sci-fi shows use that. From Star Wars to Star Trek. So am sure the writers know what they're doing. The only thing they've done that's pissed me off so far in regards to ships, is continuing to give them crappy weapons.

Comment

I'm getting sick of this too. Daedalus goes into battle against 3 hives.

Caldwell: All forward railguns return fire.

Weapons officer: Sir the wraith are jamming us again.

5 Seconds later.....

Sir, shields are down to 3%.

Caldwell: Okay, get us the hell outta here.

If we dont get some kick ass weapons from the asgard, then our ships are gonna be destroyed faster than we can build them. Hopefully, when a ship with an asgard gets destroyed, the asgard high council will realize that they really need to start giving us better weapons, shields, and maybe hyperdrives.

Best Stargate quote:
          Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
          Green is your friend.

Comment

To be honest, I would guess, that proper Asgard hyperdrives aren't that much better than the one currently on Daedalus. The same goes for the beaming tech, which seems identical & shields. Which I'm not sure about but would guess that they are the same type that's used on Asgard ships.

However the hyperdrive & shields aren't functioning at 100% capacity, that's why it takes so long to travel between galaxies, & the shields seem to be pretty weak against Wraith weapons.

Take a loot at 'The Siege III', it arrived frpm Earth to Atlantis inside 4 days, take out the ZPM & that goes up to 18 days.

The shield was also working to it's full potential or super close. When it arrived, it began taking hits, yet they hardly even noticed them on the bridge. It didn't do anything at all against the shield. Yet when the ZPM was taken out & transported down to Atlantis, Hermy reminded Caldwell that the shields would be severely weaked now that the ZPM was gone.

So without the ZPM, the shields & HD go significantly weaker. Therefore, I think it does have close to the best Asgard tech, simply the Asgard haven't given them a power source & they're still using Naquadria, or they didn't give enough Neutrino Ion Drives. An Asgard ship has 4 powering it, but is much, much larger than Prometheus & Daedalus, & so stands to reason that it has a much more powerful power source. That said I think they may have only created a much samller version & given them one to power it.

That to me suggests i's not better tech, because I can see an Asgard ship taking a similar amount of time to reach Pegasus, as the ZPM powered Daedalus. So it's not better tech that they should be asking for. It's a power source upgrade. If they still use their own Naquadrai or the Asgard have only givn them one scaled down Ion drive, then they should be asking for more power. That & some sort of energy weapon. If they feel uncomfortable about giving out weapons, then they can simply dumb their weapon down. So that iit won't scratch their tech, but will give them more punch against Wraith ships. After all Hermy is there & will be actively monitoring everything. So if they don't like it after his reports, they can send a ship & take it all away again. Having the weapons would allow them to put it to good use & something that I see the Asgard being proud of. The Asgard fought the Goa'uld over human planets in the MW & placed them under their protection.

As already seen in Atlantis, they have used Daedalus & Orion to save hundreds of lives onTarranis. So by giving them weapons, then they can finally take the fight to the Wraith & save more planets from being culled. That use for their weapons, then I can see them being proud of that. After all they didn't have a problem when human weapons & ideas, saved their asses a good few times.

Comment

Asgard ships are signifigant faster.
              Several times on the show Thor traveled from Ida to the MW in a matter of a handfull minutes.
              If Ida is as close as Pegesus, thats several tausend times faster.

Comment

Personally, a growing number of ships on Stargate doesn't bother me at all. In my opinion, it was inevitable. Since the beginning of this show, Earth and the SGC have been after alien technology in one form or another. Weapons, ships, pretty much anything we could use to advance ourselves and help defend our world against attack from our various enemies. To survive what is out there in the universe, we need more than just the Stargate.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Auralis
                  Asgard ships are signifigant faster.
                  Several times on the show Thor traveled from Ida to the MW in a matter of a handfull minutes.
                  If Ida is as close as Pegesus, thats several tausend times faster.
                  Asgard ships almost appear to "beam in" from where ever they're at to where ever they're going so it would stand to reason they could reach Atlantis just as fast.

Comment

I could'nt agree more.

Spoilers: Once the Korelev is destroyed and now that the Prometheus has gone we will only have The Daedy, the oddy, and the orion left. That sure ain't a fleet.

Comment

Personally i think the writers are trying to appeal to the Star Trek fans who didnt get into Stargate because it was too "Land-Based". Stargate as a show is evolving and the enemies are using ships not stargates to spread their power. I think the ships are the only logical defense.

They also look pretty slick even with the Battlestar similarities
                      I FEAR NO EVIL FOR I AM FEAR INCARNATE.

Comment

Originally posted by Fun_Size
                        Personally i think the writers are trying to appeal to the Star Trek fans who didnt get into Stargate because it was too "Land-Based". Stargate as a show is evolving and the enemies are using ships not stargates to spread their power. I think the ships are the only logical defense.

They also look pretty slick even with the Battlestar similarities
                        Yeah I love the look of the ship, they seem more realistic than those of other sci fi shows.

Comment

Stargates will always be the primary means of travel in the SG universe. Hyperdrive is to slow and to power consuming (except for intergalactic travel) to replace regular gate travel.

Ships do however, give you some military advantages you can't get using stargates such as stealth, or a chance to avoid a shooting gallery when coming through a defended gate. A ship can also transport objects, like F-302's, that are to large to fit through a gate.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother
                            I'm getting sick of this too. Daedalus goes into battle against 3 hives.

Caldwell: All forward railguns return fire.

Weapons officer: Sir the wraith are jamming us again.

5 Seconds later.....

Sir, shields are down to 3%.

Caldwell: Okay, get us the hell outta here.

If we dont get some kick ass weapons from the asgard, then our ships are gonna be destroyed faster than we can build them. Hopefully, when a ship with an asgard gets destroyed, the asgard high council will realize that they really need to start giving us better weapons, shields, and maybe hyperdrives.
                            The Asgard already gave the Deadalus hyperdrive, shield, and beaming tech. Caldwell says they won't give us weapons because they are afraid we might use the weapons against the Asgard.

Comment

the power of the shields has a direct linkage to the power out put of the generators, remember the asgard have sweet generators, we don't. thats the reason for the shields being not up to full potential. btw, daedalus has mutiple shields genrators, forward, atf, dorsal, bow.

Now in use. pps is at 4,929 Terawatts
                              pps = power per second
                              The power that power's the great cities of the Ancients.
                              xfire = zpm
                              [m2k] klan, and forever will be.
                              http://m2kclan.com
                              vent info: voice250.hurricanehost.com
                              port: 3785
                              P90>M4A1+AK47+Machine Gun
                              halo player and cs:s, cs:1.6, cz, cod2.
                              Save Stargate NOW!!!- http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Stargate/

Comment

Working...
                              X