This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

orior weapons (spoilers ethon) doesnt all add up

ok come on it took a year for the orior to help a primitive (sp) race build a kick a** weapon, why wouldnt they just have them build ships with the same weapons n shields? i mean the time, the motive is all there so why not do it?

The Ori are in it for the long haul.
    "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Not seen the episode but I would think that if you are attempting to get a beachhead within enemy territory i would think it would be prudent to gain some ground. I mean you can't advance into enemy territory if you have no infrastructure and defences. Plus a satellite is easier to make then a spaceship. Earth can launch satellites into space and its comparitively easy as you don't have to worry about engines and the power requirements needed for movement and possibly lifesupport. While ships are completely different and require a lot more resources to build.

Also it might go down to the reason that the Ori don't trust newly coverted followers after the whole Gerak betrayal thing.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

the whole Gerak berayal thing happened a long time after the Satellite was started and when the Gerak betrayal happened maybe they were adding shields, so if they weren't trustworthy why give them shields?

Comment

I'm interested why the Asgard shields were utterly useless in Ethon. We will all find out when Sam explains it I suppose.

Comment

A ship is vastly different then a satelitte though and they might not trust them but the Ori do have a need for them. A shieldless target would be even worse off making it pointless to have built the satellite in the first place. Plus as i said a satellite is easier to construct then a ship.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

The planet probably didn't have the infrastructure and technological skill for it to be worthwhile to teach them how to build sublight engines, hyperdrives, massive hulls, long range sensors and other stuff.

A defense satellite is just a small reactor, shields, sensors and weapons, no need for all the waste space for the crew

Comment

Originally posted by HirogenGater
                I'm interested why the Asgard shields were utterly useless in Ethon. We will all find out when Sam explains it I suppose.
                The ori are ancients remember. That and the beam seemed to be quite concentrated, it hit only a small portion of the shield with great power so it could have easily punched through the shield which it did and it damaged most systems after that they were done. Most of the damage was caused by internal explosions and decompression. All the satallite had to do was breach the hull.

Comment

The whole shield thing: I'm assuming Ori weapons can penetrate Ori shields. >_>' So if someone betrays you, just have the entire fleet shoot them down.

Comment

With a satellite, your followers cannot come after you and hunt you down if they decide they don't like what you're doing. Also, The satellite was likely one of the few technologies that were simple enough for the Ori's followers to build. Imagine the US and/or USSR trying to build a spaceship right after WWII. Not going to happen.
                    Sir, Request permission to beat the... out of this man"

Comment

I posted the following in this thread.

HOLY CRAP!

I have a feeling that an Asgard ship could withstand an attack from one of these suckers though.

Remember that the X-303 had Asgard designed shields installed, but it's still drawing power from the Naquadah generators. I would postulate (well, put forward if I were a writer) that Asgard shields and weapons would be much more powerful on an Asgard ship...
                      And I posted the following to this thread. For the full version of the following, just read the whole first post in the above link.

...One, Daedalus' shields are much stronger than Prometheus'.... ...the Ori Sattelite was a long, continuous pulse of energy which impacts and then drills through the target The Ancient Weapon fired in short bursts which impacted on the surface and then dissipated their energy over a wide area...

...You have a shield. You fire an arrow at that shield and it will penetrate, because all of the kinetic energy of that arrow is contentrated on a single point... ...You launch a stone with a sling-shot at that shield and it will impact the shield and dent it, but it won't penetrate...

...the Drones will pass right through [Goa'uld] ships (and shields). They're not long beams like the Ori satellite, but they are "arrows," not "stones."...
                      Of course, what I'm trying to say is that I think Drones will work against Ori shields. I also think that since we use a less efficient power source, the X-303 and (probably) BC-303 shields aren't as powerful as Asgard shields installed on a real Asgard ship. Therefor, an Asgard ship (I hope) would be able to withstand (at least for a while) an attack from an Ori designed weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi
                        I posted the following in this thread.

And I posted the following to this thread. For the full version of the following, just read the whole first post in the above link.

Of course, what I'm trying to say is that I think Drones will work against Ori shields. I also think that since we use a less efficient power source, the X-303 and (probably) BC-303 shields aren't as powerful as Asgard shields installed on a real Asgard ship. Therefor, an Asgard ship (I hope) would be able to withstand (at least for a while) an attack from an Ori designed weapon.

Think you hit the nail on the head there. I for one don't believe the Sheilds the Asgard gave us are their most powerfull. Most likely designed just to be on par with Go'auld sheilds(our main enemy at the time the sheilds were given to us)

Comment

Exactly, the Asgard installed Asgard designed shields and weapons on Prometheus, not neccessarily the same ones they'd use on their own ships. They probably pulled an old shield unit out of the storage closet and adapted it for us. In the same respect they probably asked us what our most promising weapons technology was, railguns, and helped us complete those to be a (semi) effective space combat weapon.

The ori are ancients remember. That and the beam seemed to be quite concentrated

The satellite weapon fire did resemble the Atlantean weapons platform used in The Siege.
                          "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

heres a thought... garek had followers who believe in origin, they have go'uld ships, throw some better sheilds and that weapon from ethon on a ship,that would take a few months, and game over for earth

Comment

Remember, the prior activated the satellite by "touching it with his staff."

It would seem plausible the Prior still has control of it. If the Rand did betray the Ori i think the Prior could simply wave his staff and control the satellite to vaporize the Rand.

It would be convenient: Get your slaves to build their own shackles.

Also remember that episode where Daniel Jackson glimpsed a possible future where he made satellites for earth and then seized control of them because he was power hungry.

Same deal with the Ori.

Comment

Working...
                              X